Who I Am (Infinite x Reader)

By Shaye_Serena

You were always the quiet one, but it turned into something worse after the war began. You had lost everythin... More

Chapter 1 ~ Mission Briefing
Chapter 2 ~ Space Port
Chapter 3 ~ Gamma
Chapter 4 ~ Search Party
Chapter 5 ~ Lost and Found
Chapter 6 ~ Back in Action
Chapter 7 ~ Witness's Memory
Chapter 8 ~ Pulsing Ruby
Chapter 9 ~ The Fakes
Chapter 10 ~ Metropolis
Chapter 11 ~ Fear and Pain
Chapter 12 ~ The Metal Copy
Chapter 13 ~ Files
Chapter 15 ~ Our Hell
Chapter 16 ~ Second Round
Chapter 17 ~ Memories
Chapter 18 ~ Lesson
Chapter 19 ~ Cracked Code
Chapter 20 ~ It Begins
Chapter 21 ~ Null Space
Chapter 22 ~ Death Comes
Chapter 23 ~ Ultimate Sacrifice
Chapter 24 ~ Regret
Chapter 25 ~ Denial
Chapter 26 ~ Another Fight
Chapter 27 ~ Lost Control
Chapter 28 ~ Drowning
Chapter 29 ~ Mistake
Chapter 30 ~ What Could Have Been
Chapter 31 ~ Monster
Chapter 32 ~ Lost Hope
Chapter 33 ~ Split
Chapter 34 ~ Fleeting
Chapter 35 ~ Phantom
Chapter 36 ~ Disband
Chapter 37 ~ Goodbye
Chapter 38 ~ Crimson
Chapter 39 ~ Repentant
Chapter 40 ~ Stirring
Chapter 41 ~ Self Loathe
Chapter 42 ~ Reel
Chapter 43 ~ Questioning
Chapter 44 ~ A Vow
Chapter 45 ~ Dyspnea
RIP Laptop
Chapter 46 ~ Panic
Chapter 47 ~ Procedure

Chapter 14 ~ Fair Fight

3.1K 100 28
By Shaye_Serena

I've made it about halfway into the city. I had begun the loop around, but Knuckles had ordered me to await Karma Squad. They were meant to evacuate civilians from a compromised bunker, and I was supposed to assist.

   I checked my watch, getting impatient. Five minutes have passed. If Karma doesn't arrive soon, then I'm going to head out myself. Two minutes, then I'm leaving.

   I tapped my foot, thinking. About Infinite. I need to find out who he is. Or, who he was. When I was stuck in Robotnik's lab almost a year ago, he had hired a security team. Made up of black and white canines with bright yellow eyes. Jackals. I crushed my eyes shut, trying to recall a face, a name. Anything.

   There were seven of them, I think. One girl, the rest were boys. My hands turned to fists, knuckles white.

   Flashes of them appeared in my mind. A leather jacket, a red headset... Red bandana, scars. Shade? No, Shroud. I've heard that name, Shroud. Come on... there must be more.

   During one of Robotnik's twisted experiments, he had forced me into a ring. Used to fight with other robots, or other experiments. It was one of the worst things he made me do. Forcing me to fight, though I had no reason to. Just for survival.

   He had put that squad in the ring with me. I don't think I've faced them all. One of them hit me in the head, hard. It was a bit of a blur afterwards.

   Robots shoved me through the door into the ring, having just removed my restraints. I stumbled in. I shot a glare back at them, growling at them before the doors closed. I turn back ahead of me to see who I was facing this time.

   A black canine with a large, red floppy hat stepped in, snatching back his bandaged arm from a robot. "Get off me!" he growled.

   He looked at me, doors shutting behind him. His expression was mixed. Guarded, confused, aggressive. All his limbs were enclosed with gauze, the white coverings matched his pale white muzzle.

   I tug at the collar around my neck, trying to keep my windpipe free so that I could breath steadily. Metal can't magically stretch so barely anything happened.

   There was no way I could win. My thoughts instantly balance to the pessimistic point of view, like it always is. He was healthy. I was thin and beaten.

   My head looks up at the window surrounding the ring, high up, for a perfect view of the battles below. The single dark window surrounded the entire metal circle, so the doctor had to be up there somewhere. My eyes found him. Robotnik played with a remote between his fingers. Making sure I saw the device he could use against me.

   I bared my fangs at the bastard before looking around the ring. There were no weapons this time. But that didn't exactly mean a good thing either. We would have to beat each other with our bare hands. Unless the jackal already had a weapon, then I was screwed.

   We circle each other, waiting for the other to make the first move. There were bags under my opponents' eyes. I wondered what were underneath the bandages. Was he an experiment, too? I wonder. A part of me was humanizing them, or... Mobianizing. There was still humanity in me, somehow surviving my ordeals. I try to forget any morals since it would only hurt more when we both have to clash each other.

   I remembered the remote in Robotnik's hand. I had no choice. I charged the jackal, trying to forget the thought that he, too, had a reason to survive. It was easier that way.

   The jackal easily dodged me, moving to the side. I expected this, so I caught my footing quickly and turned to see him baring his sharp teeth.

"I don't want to do this..." he says, voice almost a mutter.

   He ran at me, swinging a fist at my head. I ducked and quickly backed away.

   "...But I will," he added. The canine's fists were raised, feet planted, waiting for me to take the offensive.

   I wait, if I came towards him, I'm doing just he wants.

   I heard a faint zap, then I twitched, feeling pain course through my body. I winced, glaring up at Robotnik, tugging at the metal collar again. He had his finger on the big red button on the remote. Beside him, there were more dark figures, yellow eyes glowing as they watch the events unfold.

   Ivo Robotnik was giving me no choice, changing the rules by his will. I ran at the jackal, only to jump over his head at the last second. I grabbed his arm, bringing him up into the air with me. He kicked me in the stomach just before I hurled him to the ground. I was thrown into the air, by this. I flew for a few seconds, then landed on my back.

   I hastily stood up though the air was knocked out of me. The jackal already recovered and was running at me with his fangs bared. Before any time to react, he sent a punch to my face.

   I stumbled back, shocked, catching my breath. I brought a hand to my already bruised cheek, growling. An anger filled me, and my ethics left my priorities.

   I ran circles around the jackal, hoping that I might outmatch him in speed and my small size, since it would be a smaller target. While he tried to track me, find an opening to attack, I dug one foot into the ground and swung the other into his back. He grunted and flew several feet away. The canine rolled a few times then got to his feet. He dragged his shoes into the damp, sandy dirt floor, still skidding.

   He walked back towards me, calm. We both ran at each other, both wanting to get out of this arena. I jumped over his head again. That trick didn't work twice. He seized my ankle, pulling me down. I grabbed his arm before he let me go. I clung onto his limb, swinging myself around and kicking him in the stomach with both feet.

   I release the jackal so he was sent back into the metal wall. He grimaced and hissed in pain as he slid down. Some of his bandages came loose. Under them I saw several scars. Cuts. They were old. Hundreds of tiny white lines. Did he do that?

   He noticed and tried to fix the wrappings. I watched, uncertain. I try to think of a reason to hit the jackal again. I couldn't. My feet just stayed planted in the ground.

   Then my body twitched, electricity ran through me. It took me a few seconds to process what happened.

   I was shocked again for not hitting the jackal while he was down. It isn't fair.

   I strode over to the jackal, grabbed him by his shoulder. My other arm rises, and it thrusts itself into the canine's face, twice. On the third, he snatched my fist, growling at me. Blood ran down his snout from his nose.

   "Bad move," he warns, punching me in the stomach, hard.

I rolled back on the ground. I tried to get up but froze. Electricity was flowing through me. I fell back down, convulsing. More pain came while the jackal came closer, along with more shocks.

   He crouched next to me, adjusting his hat. Eyes ever so slightly sorry. "This wasn't a fair fight," he says before his fist the side of my head, and everything went dark.

   "Hey!" a lighthearted voice called.

   I opened my eyes, confused. Orange eyes met mine, too close for comfort. I jumped back, surprised. My heart calmed when I realized it was just Gadget.

   "Sorry! I didn't mean to scare you," he apologized, rubbing the back of his neck, embarrassed.

   I shrugged, looking behind him. About 13 Mobians stood behind him. It must be Karma Squad. My gaze shifted to Gadget's leg. The stitches were taken out. Though a large, long, jagged line remained. I gestured towards it, worried whether he should be in the field yet.

   "Don't worry, I'm good," he gives me thumbs up. "Ready to go?"

   I didn't even know he was going to be coming out with me, but I don't make a big deal out of it. Gadget was wearing the same equipment as I had first met him. A yellow belt with a collection of pouches for supplies. A strap ran across his chest. He had his headset back, the microphone close to his face. Now Gadget was wearing a sage green vest, one that matched his gloves and boots.

   I nod to the young wolf, grabbing my rifle.

   My mind still could rid itself of the cuts on the jackal's arms and legs.

...

Gadget and I walked through the doors, seemingly at the perfect time, too. Everyone, but the two Sonics, were staring at the large screen at the front of the room. On it, was the Death Egg, in a large ball of fire and smoke. The footage must be live from a shuttle or satellite in the atmosphere.

   Vector raised his arms in victory. Knuckles cheered. Gadget joined in the hoots and hollers. I just smiled. We finally had a chance to take back our home. Shadow stayed in the corner, faintly smiling, something that seemed like a rarity even though I barely knew him.

   "Now the Phantom Ruby's power should be down to almost nothing!" Amy smiles, hopeful. Her eyes light up, something that I don't see too often.

   Charmy flew loops in the air. Not hiding his excitement. Gadget held out his hand to me, grinning. I hesitated, but high-fived him back. 

   Robotnik yelled in frustration, watching the screen as the warship exploded and the camera became static. His hairless brows furrow in anger.

   "Those little...!" he growled, enraged, cursing under his breath. "They're vermin and worse!" He punched his white glove into his mobile carrier with rage.

   I pushed my mask back up on my face, shaking my head. I was trying my best not to speak my mind and call him vermin. I bit the inside of my mouth, holding my tongue, remembering very well, that there were consequences for my actions.

   "They have taken out our legs from under us," the red and black robot says, demonstrating by lying on his back. He was talking with another machine, both the doctor's assistants. I haven't troubled myself with remember the names of either.

   They ramble on, but I didn't bother listening. I tightly fold my arms and dig my nails into my sore flesh, not caring about the pain. The discomfort reminded and prevented me from doing anything irrational.

   "Those lucky brats have delayed their doom for another day," the doctor says, typing on a small, handheld screen.

   Was he truly messaging them that they have won another day? Idiotic. For such a "genius", he can be oblivious and illogical.

    "Infinite, let's make a full tactical retreat to Metropolis, and re-mobilize our forces," the doctor tells me, tone calmer.

   I felt the ruby pulse in my chest, glowing with the rage I forced myself to keep hidden.

   "By 'tactical retreat', you mean, 'flee with our tails between our legs'." Anger seeped its way into my voice, even when I tried to keep it under control. My demon urged me to teach the imbecile to respect us.

   Red glitched surrounded me, making me look even more threatening. The robots looked at me, trembling, fearful. I liked it.

   "I'm quite displeased about this," I say, "doctor." A new, deep, threatening voice took over. Violent, glitchy, mechanical. The thing I tried to keep under lock and key.

   You can take him on without breaking a sweat. Come on Infinite, teach him a lesson!

   The voice kept echoing in my head. Threatening the doctor. I felt urges, temptations to attack. I took deep breaths and kept them suppressed best I could.

   "Shut up, and follow me," the doctor orders. Beginning to float away.

   Irritation rises instantly at his first words. I have more power than you ever will and you talk to me like that.

   "We don't want any more... complications, do we, Infinite?" he threatens before flying away. His minions following behind.

   Damn it. How I would take pleasure in carving open his fat stomach and letting his organs and entrails spill onto the ground! Anger was filling my thoughts. I imagine several ways of bringing a swift end to the doctor's life.

   "Keep it together," I mutter.

   I flew after the doctor, remembering the punishments I will receive if I don't follow his orders. As much benefit killing him would be, I must tolerate him for just a bit longer.

   Just a little longer, and it will all be over... You'll be with them all soon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9K 227 30
Months after the Sonic Forces war, Team Sonic comes to realize that their enemy has not yet been fully neutralized. Knowing Infinite the jackal stil...
5.2K 221 17
Shadow rebels against the infamous Black Arms by choosing to serve as the lone protector of the Space Colony ARK. One day, a fugitive accidentally te...
7.9K 115 11
As many Sonic fans are aware, Sonic Forces didn't live up to our expectations. Barebones, linear gameplay, overly forced "nostalgia", and a story tha...
2.8K 97 20
Set in another world. A world where Eggman and Infinite have been taking over cities; left right and centre. Using continuous bombing runs from Eggma...