Standing Together

By KittyHazelnut

***Third book in the Strings Attached series*** So, maybe Dean wasn't exaggerating after all when he called... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150

Chapter 36

534 54 24
By KittyHazelnut

A/N This is an incredibly boring chapter just to set up a future chapter that will hopefully be kinda entertaining maybe

Castiel has a surprisingly productive day. He gets another hour of sleep, feeds the neighbor's cat — subtly hiding from his fans under his new trench coat on the walk over, despite most of them having left — and still has a couple hours to spare.

He plays around with his piano for a little bit, just trying to figure out more chords. After a few minutes, though, he finds himself far too bored to continue. He kind of wants to play a song, but he also wants to stick with chords he knows, and it would be a pain in the ass to find a song with doable chords.

"God, I'm an idiot," Castiel mutters. He could just play his own songs — not with the book his friends got him, but his unreleased songs, so he can pick the chords. That would be interesting.

Castiel dumps all his song notebooks on the floor, leaving them face down so he doesn't know which ones he's looking at. He switches them around a bit, then picks up one at random. His third song notebook. That would be about six years ago, right? Maybe a little longer, all the way back to the start of his career. God, this is going to be cringey. Looking at his old stuff anyways is.

He opens up to a random page, dated in the top right corner. It says it's from February, and Castiel doesn't even have to look at the rest of the page to have the reasonable suspicion that this has something to do with his first Grammy — the anxiety leading up to it, the burst of pride when he won; it was an emotional time, and he must have written at least 50 songs that month, most of which were related to the Grammys in some way.

The nice thing about this one having a date on it is that it means he recorded it, and most songs he's recorded are still on his old iPod touch. He's pretty sure he brought that iPod here with him. He just has to go find it.

It doesn't take long to find his suitcase, the iPod tucked into the front pocket. Castiel grabs both the iPod and its charger, bringing them to the living room to plug it in. It's no surprise that it's out of battery, but it shouldn't take too long to turn back on.

Castiel flips through his notebook while he waits. He actually remembers writing some of these. He may not remember what any of them are supposed to sound like, but he remembers how he felt when he wrote them. They're not very good, but he'd probably say that about all the songs on his earlier albums, and people still seemed to love them.

Castiel pauses as he skims the lyrics of one of them, just a cute song thanking his fans. If he remembers correctly, it almost went on his next album, until he had to cut it because he had too many he liked. It's not a terrible song. It looks a little bit optimistic for him, though, especially given the increasing number of sad songs he's been releasing — his fans seem to like them, and he enjoys writing them. But maybe...

Castiel grabs his old iPod and scrolls through the videos until he finds the recording of this song, the camera face down in the carpet of his bedroom back in Sioux Falls so it just shows a black screen like the rest of them.

It's not bad, though it's a pretty shitty recording of it. He was probably trying to be quiet about it so his siblings wouldn't hear him. He could relearn it, record it a second time. What else is he going to do while Dean's gone, right?

So that's what he does. It takes a shockingly long time to figure it out again — he can play it on guitar fairly easily, but he has to remember how to sing it before he can record it.

He opens his email, attaching the file with the song and a picture of the lyrics before he starts writing the rest of the email. Now he just has to figure out what to say.

He stares blankly at the subject line, and, after a few minutes of thinking, just writes, "Song?" It's such an awkward opener, but he's not sure what else to put.

For the email itself, he drafts it out a few times, trying to find a nice, not-super-weird way to phrase it. After a lot of back and forth, he ends up with:

"I was looking through my old songs and I found this. I don't know how far along you are with your next album, but if it's still in the works and you're looking for another song, you're welcome to do what you'd like with this. If you're not interested, that's completely fine. Just let me know, and I'll see if anyone else wants it."

He sends the email before he can talk himself out of it. He still feels a little awkward about it, but he's not sure why. It doesn't matter, though. He sent it. He can't take it back now.

He decides to go through his other songs and find some to send to other artists — maybe he'll even be responsible for Rihanna's next hit single. The smaller names might be more likely to accept them, though; small-time country artists that dabble in pop like Kelsea Ballerini and Kalie Shorr could use the exposure more than someone like Beyoncé. He'll have to check to see whose emails he has stored.

He doesn't really care if anyone else accepts his songs, though. He just hopes Jack likes the one he's sent. It's cute, optimistic, and sounds like it's right up his alley. With Castiel's name listed in the writing credits, it's sure to be the biggest hit the kid's ever had.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9K 499 33
Castiel is an angel of the lord. When it is prophesied that he will fall in love with a human and that act will destroy Heaven, the angels close them...
60 1 10
Just another Supernatural Destiel fanfiction story. My first one, a bit rushed and short, but feel free to message me if you have requests for other...
17.7K 482 21
((I am currently rewriting this story, hoping to get a new chapter redone every few days!)) Castiel had lost his grace, forced to feel the full ex...
963K 40K 25
This is a Destiel fanfic of you're into that sorta thing. Also... This is my first time writing. So... fingers crossed. (: Hope you enjoy it.