Anikaa & The Mystery of the P...

By adhyakrish

Anikaa Mehra, a multi-millionaire artist finds a riddle hidden inside a painting which is not only the clue t... More

Preface
1. Engagement of Prashant & Naina
2. The Invitation
3. The Midnight Guest
4. The Illusion
5. The Ride
6. Nishant's Flight
7. Invitation Reminder
8. The Sturrocks
10. Strange Happenings
11. Jiyu Unlocked
12. The Research
13. The Riddle
14. Meeting Jiyu Again
15. Involving Raymond
16. Breaking Ice
17. The Gnomons
18. The Spooky Note
19. Meeting Sameera aka Samaira
20. The Poisonous Dart
21. Meeting Bhagyashree
22. The Second Strike of Gnomons
23. The Parchment
24. Anikaa goes rogue
25. The Attack on Rachel
26. The Howling Forests
27. Realm of Kurupas
28. Pit of Gnomons
29. The Musk Deer
30. Reaching Munnar

9. The Black Maze

104 7 0
By adhyakrish

Raymond, his stubble, warm hands engulfing Anikaa, tugging her along in the vast golden chambers. He was pulling her close, about to kiss her, when a cat purred- Darling, are you still prejudice? and Anikaa woke up on the third ring of her mobile phone.

The warm sunlight was flooding her room and she hastily looked at her phone. Yes, it was 9 am and she was behind her schedule. How could she sleep for such a long time? Her mind whirled to last evening.

"No, not right now. I need a strong cup of tea," she muttered, shaking her head.

She picked up her intercom and ordered Bahadur to make tea for her. She decided to work only on her painting today. She had a huge piece in her mind and it will take her whole day.

She went down the stairs to the backyard of the villa in the garden and was delighted to see a warm golden sunny day. A perfect day to paint! She brought out her drawing pad and began making rough sketches. Bahadur brought a nice cup of cardamom tea and sandwiches for Anikaa.

"It's a beautiful morning today," said Rachel joining Anikaa in the garden.

Anikaa looked at Rachel who came fresh from bath and was wearing a high- neck t-shirt with trousers.

"Rachel, I am not in a working mood today," said Anikaa grinning.

"I get that alright. Once or twice in a month you have this kind of mood," said Rachel pleasantly.

"Bright sunny morning, singing birds, greenery and a hot cup of cardamom tea, who wants to work," added Rachel.

"You are looking in high spirits today, I think Karan suited you," said Anikaa smirking.

Rachel blushed.

"So finally we have a boy who is making Rachel blush and flush," quipped Anikaa.

"You are talking about me? How about you and Raymond? He was smitten with you," said Rachel. But to her dismay, Anikaa didn't blush but was piqued.

"Don't even talk about him; he was just another guy."

"Just another guy?" asked Rachel incredulously.

"Mam, he is a multi- billionaire, one of the richest, most eligible bachelors in the world. And, you are saying- he is just another guy?" debated Rachel.

"Money can't make you rational," said Anikaa calmly.

"Oh, but what about Mr. Richard Sturrock? How come he invited you to be a board director?"

Anikaa quirked her eyebrows.

"I have to know this. I am overlooking PR department," said Rachel truthfully.

"Richard seems to be a nice guy, but I want full background check on him again; especially his wife's disappearance," said Anikaa ignoring her earlier question.

"Oh, but his wife died in mysterious circumstances," said Rachel.

"Yes, and I want to know the details of it," asserted Anikaa.

"Okay. And?" Rachel prompted.

"So I went to his study where he talked about his life and his motive behind setting up this educational institute and I offered him to be part of it, which he accepted. That's it."

"Is that it?" asked Rachel disbelievingly.

"Yes, Rachel," said Anikaa. She knew that she will have to change the focus of the conversation to avoid further queries.

"Now, let's eat our sandwiches before the cheese gets dry."

"Cheese, this contains cheese," said Rachel examining the sandwich as if it was a dangerous species.

"Yes, mine is double. Yours is just half."

"Double? Are you kidding me? We just had pizza yesterday. Our fat intake for this week is over."

"Rachel, mom is not home for a week and I want to eat all the cheese in the world," winked Anikaa and dug into her sandwich.

Rachel sighed impatiently.

"Oh! I forgot....Mr. Millaha called half an hour ago. He was asking if you would like to visit his farm today. Just to catch up," said Rachel putting her sandwich back in the plate.

"Yes, Rachel I will."

"You will, but you wanted to paint right."

"Yes, but now I want to see Bluestar. It's been a long time. I don't want him to forget me."

"Oh, he won't. Animals have excellent memories. Besides, he only allows you to ride his back," chuckled Rachel.

After a quick breakfast, Anikaa skipped the painting and went straight to Millaha's farms.

Milan Millaha was the biggest rancher in India. His father was a small farmer and Milan learned everything about agriculture and farming from him. However, Milan was also gifted with business acumen. After coming of age, he extended his father's small farm to big ranches and diversed to organic farming techniques. He owned several farm houses and nature resorts in India and used to breed cattle and horses for racing. Anikaa and Milan met through Rustom and instantly struck a chord for their common love of nature and animals.

As Anikaa's car entered the huge wooden gates, she was greeted with the familiar grinning, plump face of Milan.

"Look who's here, Guran? Our bear, dear friend Anikaa," roared Milan.

Guran was Milan's man servant who had been living with him since his childhood. He was his secretary-friend- keeper- head servant-everything. He was a middle-aged man, swarthy and thin. He was vegetarian but loved cooking non-vegetarian dishes with his special bag of indigenous spices which he never shared with anyone.

Anikaa rushed out of the car and gave Milan a warm hug.

"Whoa, you look like a teddy Milan. I see your cheeks are getting redder day by day," said Anikaa.

"Well, it must be the apples that I got from Himachal, one of the best I receive this season," said Milan cheerfully.

"O here comes Rachel. How are you young girl? You seem to lost weight," said Milan hugging Rachel who leisurely got out of the car holding her Ipad, mobile phone and handbag.

"Yes, she was sneezing all day, day before yesterday and lost a thousand calories," winked Anikaa and Milan roared with laughter.

"Ha-ha...how I missed you! It's great to see you two again," relished Milan.

Anikaa looked at same old Milan- tall, plump with laughing eyes. He was single and never been married. His cheeks were always red due to sunlight or some pollen allergy and Anikaa teased him for it. But, she adored him for his candid and compassionate nature.

"I hope you guys are hungry, Guran has prepared his trademark meat curry and tangdi kebab for you," said Milan taking them to his bungalow.

"I don't know about Rachel, but I am always hungry for good food," said Anikaa.

Rachel noted that Anikaa was in a very good mood today. All the sourness from last night had dissipated. She loved Anikaa in all her moods but her carefree spirit was her favourite.

"For Guran's food, I can also excuse my low fat diet," said Rachel.

"That's what I like to hear," roared Milan and they all strode towards the bungalow.

As, they entered the bungalow, the pine wood smell along with the hint of wooden polish permeated the air. Ooohh...I can breathe that all day long, thought Anikaa, while Rachel covered her nose.

"I hope you are not allergic to the polish Rachel. It was done yesterday, but the smell is still prevalent," said Milan.

Rachel was about to voice out her displeasure, when a car honked on the gate followed by another one. The three of them turned out to check the source of this noise.

"Were you expecting someone?" asked Anikaa, vexed.

"No, but yes. But, he was supposed to come in the evening," said Milan bewildered.

As, the security opened the gates, two black Range Rovers dashed inside the parking, almost hitting Anikaa's Bentley.

The very next minute, two men wearing dark shades climbed out of their rovers. Rachel gasped looking at the familiar faces while Anikaa glared at one of them. Strolling along the porch, Raymond and Karan were coming towards them.

Raymond could see swiftly changing expressions on Anikaa's face. He was well prepared to play with the fire as his secretary was able to gather all the information about her last night. However, he was still unaware about Richard and Anikaa's conversation. His father had bluntly refused to give him any details. As a result, he had no other option but to pursue Anikaa to give him answers which was more than difficult. His secretary had called 'Shireen villa'- Anikaa's residence and Bahadur had denied giving any information about her whereabouts to strangers. He had also refused to fix any appointments citing that he was not Anikaa's secretary. So after a few enquiries, Raymond came to know that Anikaa was visiting Millaha farms in the afternoon. And, now he was here to get answers from the most enigmatic girl he had ever set his eyes on.

"Raymond, I was expecting you to come in the evening," said Milan smiling and shaking hands with Raymond and Karan.

"Yes, we were just passing by and thought to drop in, hope you don't mind," said Karan removing his shades.

"I didn't know you had guests," said Raymond eyeing Anikaa.

"Guests? They are my family- Anikaa and Rachel," said Milan introducing them.

"We met last night Milan," broken in Anikaa impassively. She looked at Raymond who was looking fresh with dark glasses, black shirt and blue jeans. Shaved...nice!

Raymond glanced at Anikaa who was wearing rugged jeans shorts with white shirt on top. Her white shirt was loosely hanging on her body, hiding her curves but giving a sensual appeal at the same time. Her hair was tied up in a pony and as usual, she was without much makeup, just a red gloss on her luscious lips. His mind began straying to the thoughts that kept him awake all night. What he wanted to do with her! As if Anikaa perceived his thoughts, she narrowed her eyes.

"Last night? Where?" asked Milan breaking their trance.

"Well, Mr. Richard Sturrock invited us for dinner," answered Rachel.

"O...you were there? I didn't go because you know, I don't like these parties. But, had I known that you will be there I would have definitely come down," said Milan smiling at Anikaa.

Raymond didn't like the apparent warmth between Anikaa and Milan. Though Milan was a forty year old guy, he was charming. And, he saw softness in Anikaa's eyes for him. He wanted to see that softness for him. He was surprised by his feelings of jealousy and desire for Anikaa.

"Where is your old bloke?" asked Milan hoarsely.

"Dad had to meet some elite government authorities today for the school, so he couldn't make it," said Karan giving his same boyish smile.

"O yes...you must have government support in India for smooth operations," said Milan truthfully.

"Sahib, lunch is ready," said Guran interrupting them.

"Care to join guys," asked Milan.

"Love to," said Karan smiling warmly at Rachel, making her blush again.

Anikaa didn't wait for anyone and dashed inside the house, feeling Raymond's stare on her back as she walked in.

It was a pleasant weather outside, as it had rained an hour before and the sun was hidden in the dark clouds. Cold breeze and fresh farm smell was very refreshing. Milan had a big farmland stretching across the fields.

Guran and other servants had set up the table outside in the garden area which was filled with organic herbs and spices. Special mocktails were served before lunch.

"Whoa, this is amazing. You must sell this Milan sir," said Rachel sipping the drink.

"Rachel, for the last time- I am Milan for you. And, I am contented with my farming and animals. I have no intention of expanding my business anymore. It's no point filling your plate more than you can eat," said Milan gently.

"Ummm...It is really good. One of the best drinks I have had so far," agreed Karan.

"How is everyone Anikaa?" asked Milan.

"They are good; all in Canada right now for my cousin's marriage," answered Anikaa.

"Has Shireen started using my special oil for her knees?" asked Milan.

"I think so; she is not complaining anymore," said Anikaa smiling.

She returned her gaze to Raymond who was still staring at her intensely. He hardly participated in any conversations, his focus unabashedly fixed on Anikaa.

Milan hailed Guran, when he came out with several dishes of chicken and meat. A tantalising smell filled the table as everyone dug in the food. Raymond and Karan were very fond of hot Indian food as their mother used to cook Indian delicacies for them on weekends. As a result, their palate was well adjusted to richness and spices of Indian food. The food was delicious and Guran was heartily complimented for his excellent culinary skills.

After lunch, Milan offered to give a tour to Raymond and Karan of his farmlands. Though Milan was single, his rustic bungalow boasted of six bedrooms and was equipped with all the modern accessories. The luxury home was surrounded by green pasture that stretched across the vast lands. On the back of the house, there was a small garden where he grew organic herbs and spices. Along the garden, was a huge paddock and neatly built stables where helpers were working. Further ahead, there was a large shed for cattle rearing and then, there were huge grasslands.

"This is huge space," said Raymond appreciatively.

"How do you manage it alone?" asked Karan.

"I have Guran and other helpers," chuckled Milan looking pleased.

"Where is Bluestar?" asked Anikaa.

"He is inside. You sure wanna meet him? He is not in a good mood today, already kicked two of the men," said Milan concerned.

"Of course, I will meet him," said Anikaa and went towards the stables.

"I hope he behaves," muttered Milan looking uneasily.

"Don't worry, he will be fine. He sure remembers her," said Rachel stifling her worries.

"Who is Bluestar?" asked Karan.

"Bluestar is our most stubborn and roguish horse. He never allows anyone to ride his back," said Milan.

"Except Anikaa mam," intervened Rachel.

"Yes, they have a special connection," continued Milan. "Anikaa bought her from a fair last year. He was badly hurt and his owner was no more interested to support him. He was literally disposing him off. Anikaa bought him at full price and we gave him all the care and protection needed. Six months ago, he was back in his full glory and since then, he only allows Anikaa to ride his back. Whenever she gets time, she is here to meet him," said Milan.

"I thought Anikaa is very shrewd and cold," said Karan, not able to stop as the words rolled out of his mouth unbidden, to which Rachel scowled at him.

"Oh...you don't know boy! She is shrewd and cold like a real gem."

Raymond was intently listening to Milan. He now wanted to know Anikaa in and out more badly. He was mesmerised by her beauty, amazed by her benevolence and intrigued by her demeanour. She was not an open book but he wanted to read all her pages.

Everyone gazed at the beautiful horse when Anikaa brought Bluestar out of the stable. He was distinguished with dark brown coat and black array of hair on his crest. Anikaa was walking besides him, pulling his reigns, murmuring to him in delight.

"How are you spreading rumours about Bluestar, Milan? He is such a good boy," said Anikaa pouting and caressing his neck again.

"This boy has reserved chivalry just for you Anikaa," quipped Milan.

"Hmm...He chooses his friends well," said Anikaa looking shrewdly at Raymond.

"What is that?" asked Karan pointing to the thighs of Bluestar.

On the thighs of Bluestar, a black maze was drawn which had a small dot in the centre. Karan went ahead to examine it, when Bluestar snorted as if giving him the warning to stay away and looking him fixedly from the corner of his eye.

"Easy...easy boy," said Milan hoarsely.

"That mark is on its body since we bought him," answered Milan.

Karan looked at it uneasily and retreated further to stand back with Rachel.

The horse was saddled up and without any hassle; Anikaa put her foot into the stirrup and hoisted herself straight up the horse, swinging her right leg carefully over the horse's back.

"Anikaa no galloping today, you will graze your legs," instructed Milan in a fatherly tone.

Anikaa nodded and looked at Raymond who was impassively staring at her. Can't he see something else? thought Anikaa and squeezed Bluestar's sides with the inside of her legs that moved the horse to trotting.

"How do you know each other?" asked Raymond.

"We met through family friend," answered Milan.

"She is a top-notch artist, a successful businesswoman and most importantly a wonderful human being," added Milan.

"You forgot to add arrogance in her profile," said Raymond abruptly.

"You are not the first one to complain," chuckled Milan.

Milan was not opening up to Raymond about Anikaa. And, Raymond decided that he will deal with Anikaa himself. He is not going to rely anymore on other people for information. He will ask her straightaway about her conversation with his father. He looked at Anikaa who had now started galloping on the stallion. What a sight to behold! Sitting upright, one hand on the rein, she didn't budge for once as Bluestar tore across the fields.

"And, she doesn't listen to anyone," muttered Milan, gritting his teeth. He gestured his servants to stay alert, if something happens. He heaved a sigh of relief when she walked the horse back to the stables.

"Sorry Milan couldn't help it. Bluestar wanted to exercise," chuckled Anikaa.

Milan was pleased to see Anikaa happy. He could never be cross with her. One smile and he melted.

"Okay. Enough exercising, please get down before his temper changes," said Milan.

Anikaa dismounted the horse and patted Bluestar again, before the attendant took him to the stable.

"I think it's time to leave; I will catch you later in the week Milan. I am here for two months right now," said Anikaa.

"Oh...you are going so soon. It is just four right now. Why don't you have dinner with me?" asked Milan hastily.

"I would love to, but I need to do my painting. I missed it in the morning."

"Why don't you come down for dinner?" asked Anikaa, ignoring Raymond's steady eyes.

"Ah...I can't. I am expecting commissioner to come for dinner tonight," replied Milan.

"Why don't you stay back Raymond? I will introduce you to commissioner. You must know all top government officials," added Milan.

"I already met him two days before," said Raymond.

Milan was about to suggest something else when, Guran came running to him with a phone.

"Rachel, shall we?" asked Anikaa catching the moment.

"Ummm....Anikaa I was wondering if I could take Rachel out for coffee?" asked Karan in his usual boyish smile.

Anikaa looked at Rachel who was busy blushing.

"If, Rachel wants to go with you, I have no problems," said Anikaa.

Now all eyes were on Rachel.

"I won't mind," said Rachel sheepishly.

"Cool," winked Anikaa and took her mobile phone from Rachel.

"How about you? Would you like to go for coffee?" asked Raymond.

"I am not a coffee lover and I have work to finish," said Anikaa sharply.

"Why don't I come down to your house to see your artworks? I gathered that you are a nonpareil artist," said Raymond.

"If you wish to see my artworks you can go online or visit my gallery in Mumbai."

Raymond's proposals and Anikaa's dismissals was quite entertaining for Rachel and Karan who were silently standing there, enjoying the show.

"Sorry, that was important," said Milan coming back to the group. Before, he could perceive the progress of the conversation, Anikaa hugged him.

"Milan got to go, thank you for the wonderful lunch," said Anikaa.

"Take care of Bluestar and I love you," said Anikaa.

Raymond was fuming with jealousy. The warmth between Anikaa and Milan was conspicuous and unbearable for him. He needed to spend his energy somewhere else before he does something stupid, like hurling Anikaa on his shoulder and taking her with him in his rover. He greeted Milan and rushed to his rover to spend his pent up wrath.

Anikaa was aware that she had incensed Raymond. But, she had to put the distance between them. Yes, he annoyed her last night with his fallacious comments but the strange attraction between them was still prevalent. For the whole day, she tried to avoid his penetrating gaze, for she knew that it all starts with eyes.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Family Secret By Mishti

Mystery / Thriller

273 50 16
It is a story of a girl named Aniha. She is 13 years old. Her mother died when she is just 5 years old. Her father is always in a tensed mood because...
34.9K 4.5K 79
"Two can only keep a secret, when one of them is dead." In the small town of Delmore, a raging wildfire begins on the night of 14th November when the...
430 96 8
Unseen Shadows: A Journey from Sarcasm to Justice in the Turmoil of Unexpected Alliances. Step into Maya Joshi's world, where simplicity meets sarcas...
29.8K 932 12
| 𝔉𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔲𝔯𝔢𝔡 x 17 | Book 1 in the SURYAGARH ROYALS series. Suryagarh Fort. In the heart of the desert state of Rajasthan, a 900-year-old fort...