Anikaa & The Mystery of the P...

By adhyakrish

Anikaa Mehra, a multi-millionaire artist finds a riddle hidden inside a painting which is not only the clue t... More

Preface
1. Engagement of Prashant & Naina
2. The Invitation
3. The Midnight Guest
4. The Illusion
5. The Ride
6. Nishant's Flight
7. Invitation Reminder
9. The Black Maze
10. Strange Happenings
11. Jiyu Unlocked
12. The Research
13. The Riddle
14. Meeting Jiyu Again
15. Involving Raymond
16. Breaking Ice
17. The Gnomons
18. The Spooky Note
19. Meeting Sameera aka Samaira
20. The Poisonous Dart
21. Meeting Bhagyashree
22. The Second Strike of Gnomons
23. The Parchment
24. Anikaa goes rogue
25. The Attack on Rachel
26. The Howling Forests
27. Realm of Kurupas
28. Pit of Gnomons
29. The Musk Deer
30. Reaching Munnar

8. The Sturrocks

142 8 0
By adhyakrish

Next morning was almost pre-planned. Shireen, Gul, Prashant, Rustom and Ramnik were leaving for Mumbai. Mehras were going to Canada for her niece's wedding while, Rustom and Gul decided to give a surprise visit to their daughter.

"All of you going to foreign lands...please charge your phones regularly and do not forget your chargers," dictated Anikaa as if she was talking to a group of children giving them dos and don'ts instructions.

Bahadur was rushing to and fro with other helpers to pack luggage and prepare breakfast. Rachel felt sorry for him and was very much pleased that she & Anikaa were out of this trip, for they will be able to focus on work and stay away from high octave wedding. She was jolted out of her reverie by Prashant.

"Are you daydreaming Rachel? I can't handle two dreamers in my house," said Prashant slyly looking at Anikaa.

"Oh...Sorry...Do you want something?" asked Rachel.

"Yes, I need to talk to you in private. Now," said Prashant surreptitiously.

Rachel got up and Prashant took her to one side of the room casually.

"Look Rachel, I know I can trust you, so I am saying this. If Anikaa freaks out like yesterday and goes out for a drive, all alone by herself in this freaking weather, you call me straightaway and I will be here, next flight," said Prashant.

Rachel was confused about who's being freaked out. Prashant was emotional and demanded a protective and secured life. While, Anikaa on the other hand was independent, unpredictable, capricious and a risk taker. She knew that Prashant could never control Anikaa, but she still nodded in agreement for his affectionate brotherly caring nature.

"And, update me every day about her, you have my number right?" asked Prashant.

"Are you done setting up 'spy on my sister operation', Prashant?" asked Anikaa from behind.

"Great! As usual she knows everything," muttered Prashant before turning round.

"Hey, I am not setting up anything. I was just telling her to take care of office and house. And, if she needs any help she can call me anytime," said Prashant.

Anikaa shook her head when Prashant went to her.

"I also told her if my stubborn sis freaks out again like yesterday, she doesn't need to disturb me," said Prashant winking.

Anikaa grinned for she knew their teasing and fighting was for the audience but they loved and care for each other.

Breakfast was a small affair as everyone ate light. Shireen hugged Anikaa in a bearly hug and asked her to take care. One by one everybody gave their piece of word to Anikaa & then Rachel. Suddenly, Rachel was feeling lonely. If she had her way, she would book both of their tickets straightaway and go to Canada.

Shireen was by now adapted to Anikaa's unemotional nature. Anikaa- pissed off was talk of the town, but Anikaa- hurt was never ever known. She never displayed her emotions in front of anyone. Prashant hugged her and gave her some strict orders which she listened to reluctantly. Gul and Rustom gave a warm hug to Anikaa and promised to call and meet her again when they come back. Ramink was fidgeting with his coat, and just called out to remind for tickets and passports. Finally, he smiled and said- "Take Care!" to which Anikaa coldly replied- "You too." What's wrong between them? thought Rachel.

After their departure, the home felt very quiet with Bahadur, Anikaa and Rachel. There were two other servants who were asked to leave early in the evening.

"Bahadur, you can take day off too. Go and relax. It's been a very busy morning for you. Don't worry about lunch we will order. And, don't make dinner, we are eating out," said Anikaa and winked at Rachel. Rachel was suddenly very confused to see what has amused Anikaa. She shook her head in confusion and slumped on the couch. She opened her tablet and began reading the emails but in few seconds her eyelids dropped.

Anikaa was busy working on her laptop when she heard soft snoring. She looked up and saw Rachel's slumped figure on the couch.

"Sleeping beauty," smirked Anikaa.

Rachel woke up at 2 pm to cheesy smell of pizza that filled her nostrils- "my favourite pizza- Cheese Margherita," she muttered.

"Shit....How long have I been sleeping?" she winced as she got up straightening her dress.

She noticed Bahadur carrying six large boxes of pizza, his face covered up from the pile. She was about to question when it dawned that the other four boxes were for servants and security. She looked round and saw Anikaa sitting on the lounge sofa, still working on her laptop. That woman could work 24 hours a day, she thought, looking at Anikaa.

Both Anikaa and Rachel were brought of their reverie when Bahadur politely called for lunch.

"Mam, pizza is here," said Bahadur in a low voice.

"Yup, I'm coming," said Anikaa switching off her laptop.

"Ah...you are awake, Miss Sleeping Beauty," teased Anikaa.

Rachel smiled embarrassingly and took her seat on the dining table. She glanced at Anikaa who was sitting opposite to her. She was suddenly feeling void and was missing everyone. How she had grown attached to everyone. Working with Anikaa gave her the perfect family, she always wanted. Her own parents were very conservative who forced her to marry at an age of 17. The time with them was not a pleasant memory for her. The feeling was mutual between them. Her family never missed her as they had five sons to accommodate their love and wishes. Landing a job in Anikaa's firm gave her everything she desired in life- shelter, comfort, security, friendship and the much needed love of the family.

"Rachel, why don't you catch next morning flight to Canada?" asked Anikaa.

Rachel was startled by Anikaa's statement. She knew that she was a good observer, but she was definitely flushed by her own reading. She never expected that from her.

"I...I...I was just....," stuttered Rachel.

"What's wrong with you Rachel? Where is your spark gone? It's not the first time that we have stayed away from our family for work. Why are you behaving as a love sick puppy?" said Anikaa as she began digging in her steamy pizza.

Rachel was overwhelmed and angry at the same time. Overwhelmed because she related her to her family and angry because she just called her 'love sick puppy'.

"I am not love sick or something...I was just missing everyone," she said, slicing her pizza while all the cheese was flowing in her plate.

"Aren't you missing them?" asked Rachel.

"I do Rachel, but I have work," said Anikaa impassively.

"And, if you keep on behaving like this I am not taking you to dinner tonight," mocked Anikaa as if reprimanding a child.

Rachel flinched for a moment and then grinned from ear to ear. Anikaa always knew how to pull her out of sloppy moods. Next few minutes, they gossiped like school girls and ate their full-sized pizzas. They both were hungry and cheese was definitely their favourite.

After finishing lunch, Anikaa gave few notes to Rachel and told her to get ready by 8 pm. It was 4 pm and evening light was fading out already. Anikaa sauntered in her room and went to the balcony. The golden evening light was mesmerising and holding different shades in the sky. Although it didn't rain that day, but air was still damp and a bit cool. She took deep breaths of the clean, fresh air. The weather on the hills was always refreshing and it was this reason that she bought the biggest of all her houses in Munnar. She had completely forgotten about the weird happenings & Jiyu. She was now thinking about the dinner when her phone rang.

"Hey mom...how are you guys."

"That's great. Yes, don't worry your flight is in the afternoon tomorrow."

"I am absolutely fine. Yes, I will take care about it. Yes, Rachel is also good. Okay, moma I will eat my dinner on time. Hold on! Well, actually we have been invited at a party today so; we will be eating out. Yes, Rachel is coming with me....Oh, yes! We will reach home by 10 pm. Ok. Don't worry. Love you. Bye."

Anikaa looked again towards the sky and went inside the room. However, her observant eyes missed the painting and one more bizarre occurrence!!

Rachel looked for the hundredth time at her image in the mirror. She was wearing a red coloured; knee-length crepe dress with a v-neck which didn't exposed her at all. The dress was a perfect fit for her height and slim-body. She wore her makeup carefully as the sneezing from morning had reddened her nose. She looked satisfied with herself. Anikaa never asked her to dress down or discouraged from being sexy and confident. She knew she was good- looking and gathered ample attention from the opposite sex until Anikaa walks in. The moment she walked in, the air used to change. But, she never envied her.

Rachel walked out of the room holding her clutch dearly and stepped down the stairs carefully in her high heels. Bahadur was in the living room giving directions to the driver and other servants when Rachel walked in.

"You look beautiful mam," said Bahadur earnestly bowing his head.

Rachel was impressed with his manners. He was definitely learning quickly.

"Thank you Bahadur. Where is Anikaa mam?" she asked.

Bahadur opened his mouth to answer but closed it when he saw Anikaa stepping downstairs. Her heels clicking on the floor making the perfect rhythm that matched her walk.

Rachel turned around and impetuously whistled, startling both Anikaa and Bahadur.

"You look devil on heels today," said Rachel. "I mean a sexy- gorgeous- devil," she corrected.

"I never claim to be less," winked Anikaa.

Anikaa was wearing a Victoria Beckham black crepe dress which barely covered her knees and accentuated her well toned body. The sweetheart neckline was showing off her sculpted collarbones and her wavy black-burgundy hair was hanging loose on her shoulders. She was wearing black pointed- toe court heels that clinked on the floor.

"You look very beautiful mam," said Bahadur finally. Though, he knew that Anikaa will take a security guard with her, but tonight he had thoughts of accompanying them. He prayed if Anikaa could ask him to come along.

"Thank you Bahadur," said Anikaa smiling.

They were about to leave when Rachel got a glimpse of a dazzling black, almond- shaped pendant, hung on top of Anikaa's chest. She went near Anikaa and gasped.

"How are you wearing this pendant, how is it hanging? I don't see any necklace?" asked Rachel perplexed.

Anikaa looked at her little glittering pendant and carefully tugged it.

"It was given to me last year by a lady in Thailand," said Anikaa holding the little pendant in her hand.

"Thai lady?" asked Rachel bewildered.

"Yes. Remember, last year, I went to Thailand for delivering that painting. It was my last night in the city when I saw an old woman crossing the road with two heavy bags. I stopped my car and offered to give lift to her house. In her house, a woman was very ill, I don't know she was her daughter or friend; but I offered her money which she refused. So, I called the medical help and paid all the expenses without informing her. Next day when I was leaving for airport, she came to the hotel and gave me this pendant. She said it's the only way she could pay me back. First, I refused but she asked me to value her self-respect...so I took it. She said it's a mystic pendant and she was supposed to pass it to someone who is worth it. She added that only I can wear it and when I tried, it just hangs there by itself. I don't know how, but I liked it. It's unique," said Anikaa putting it on again.

Rachel listened to her story gaping. She thought that she knew everything about Anikaa but everyday a new chapter unfolded in front of her. Where was she at that time?

"What if someone tries to steal it from your neck?" asked Rachel concerned.

"Nope, it won't happen. Wanna try?" asked Anikaa.

Rachel pulled the pendant carefully, but she was not able to move it even for a centimetre. She tried it once again forcefully with both of her hands giving her clutch to Bahadur, but the pendant denied moving.

"Whoa, I have never seen anything like this before," admitted Rachel.

"Yeah. But, I think I'll wear it some other day," said Anikaa and pulled the pendant at once and pushed it in inside her clutch.

"Bahadur, if there is anything important, call me or Rachel. And, if mom calls, direct it to my phone," commanded Anikaa and stepped out.

An impeccably dressed chauffeur opened the door of a black Rolls Royce and she slipped in the car with Rachel beside her. As the car went out through the huge gates of Shireen villa, Anikaa took a deep sigh. Let's see what's waiting.

As, the driver announced the arrival at Sturrock's mansion Anikaa peered out of the glazed windows. A large mansion stood in its full glory, ready to welcome the guests. There were about five cars lined up at the gate going through the security checks. As her car, entered the gates uniformed attendants opened the door. She got out from the car and waited for Rachel. Rachel stuttered around the car gawking at the mansion. She had been to many parties earlier and had visited businessmen and celebrities houses with Anikaa, but this was majestic. Still gawking, she turned her head to Anikaa who to her surprise coolly smirked.

Rachel was seriously impressed with Anikaa's poise. Anikaa definitely had lot of money and lavish taste, but how could she be immune to such grandiose. She closed her mouth and repeated in her head to be professional and no more gawking.

The attendants lead them to the grand entrance of the mansion, which was supported by two large marble pillars adorned with golden carvings. The foyer lead to the grand hallway which was filled with immaculately dressed people and all eyes turned towards them. Rachel had never felt nervous before, but tonight she was certainly feeling gauche. She recognised two Hollywood celebrities, a famous American businessman and a popular singer looking intently at them. At once, she felt colour draining from her pale skin but then she realised the interest of their eyes. They were not looking at her but Anikaa who entered the hallway behind her.

"Wasn't it supposed to be a private dinner?" said Anikaa impassively ignoring the glances.

Rachel turned and saw how sensuous and confident she looked. No impressions of nervousness, no fidgeting, no ogling. She walked as if she owned the place. No wonder all eyes were drawn upon her- men with appreciation and women with envy.

She was about to answer when a tall, young man approached them. Though he was wearing a black suit like others, his white shirt was loose with two top- buttons undone, revealing his well-toned, hairy chest. His brown hair was tousled appropriately and his green eyes had a hint of humour in them. His handsome face, boyish smile and muscular body were doing things to Rachel she could not ignore.

"Hello ladies, looking for someone?" asked the guy grinning.

"Yes, we are looking for Mr. Richard Sturrock," answered Rachel immediately.

"And you are?" asked the guy looking at Anikaa.

Rachel was about to answer when a thin man, dressed in black suit trotted towards them. He had a long face with curved nose and thin lips. His dark- black, oily hair was parted from the middle and his pince-nez were clinging on his thin nose as a last resort to fall from his face.

"You must be Miss Anikaa Mehra," he said half- bowing to Anikaa.

"Yes, I am," said Anikaa firmly.

"Please, this way, Mr. Sturrock is waiting for you."

"And you are?" asked Anikaa.

"I am Luton Ravenscroft, Miss. Mr. Sturrock's secretary."

Rachel was about to accompany them when Luton turned to her.

"Mam, I am afraid you have to wait here. Mr. Sturrock wants to meet Miss Anikaa only," said Luton earnestly.

Rachel wanted to voice out her dissent when, Anikaa silently nodded at her.

"Don't worry, I will take care of your friend Miss Anikaa," said the guy mischievously.

Rachel and Anikaa both looked at him suspiciously.

"And you are?" asked Anikaa mocking him purposefully. She knew him alright as she had seen his pictures.

"I am Karan Sturrock, man with looks, humour, money and body," said Karan wiggling his eyebrows at Rachel.

Anikaa stifled her laugh when she saw Rachel squirming beneath his gaze. If they would have been somewhere else, she would have certainly teased Rachel to hell. But, right now she had to meet this mysterious Mr. Sturrock and she needed to leave Rachel with Karan and his boyish charms. She looked at Rachel again and winked that boosted Rachel's confidence but also delivered the intended meaning.

Luton escorted Anikaa through the hallway to a grand passage which had several rooms on either side. As, Anikaa went through the passage, she noticed several expensive paintings and other form of huge artworks displayed in the passage. She also noticed an army of bow-tied servants pouring into the hallway to attend the guests. At the middle of the hall, there was a grand golden door, encarved with figure of a hermit which Luton opened for her.

"Please mam, this way. Mr. Sturrock is waiting for you." said Luton.

Taking a deep breath, Anikaa entered the door.

*************************

Anikaa was awestruck when she entered the grand library. Books always elevated her spirit and she admired people who had knack of collecting good books. Good books inspire great minds! The library was triple the size of hers with walled book-shelves on both the sides of the room that ran from floor to ceiling. At the centre of the ceiling, there was a crystal chandelier adorned with golden carvings. Sturrocks' loves gold! she wondered. An exquisite range of ceramic and glass artworks, figurines were placed on the shelves and huge paintings hung on the walls. There were two colossal couches on both the sides of the room. At the other end of the room, there was a large mahogany desk and a golden armchair by the side of the fireplace.

"My wife also loved this room. It was her favourite," said a deep hoarse voice from the fireplace.

Anikaa squinted at the hearth and saw a figure rising up from the armchair that was placed near the stony fireplace. A burly man with a towering height came forward and his features lightened up in the light of chandelier. He was six feet and had white hair which sparsely covered his head. His round cheerful face had beautiful green eyes with a hint of sadness. He was wearing a brown and olive checked suit and had a cigar between his lips.

"I am Richard Sturrock. Glad to meet you bellisimo," he said putting off his cigar and held her hand lightly to kiss.

"Pleasure. I am Anikaa," said Anikaa charmed with his demeanour.

Richard looked intently in the brown eyes of Anikaa and was impressed with her poise. He had seen so many people with greedy & awestruck eyes attracted to his wealth and grandeur, absorbed by his power and success. But, never ever had he seen serenity in someone's eyes. Yes, she is different.

"Thank you for accepting my invitation," said Richard smiling.

"I hope you didn't have any trouble finding my place," said Richard guiding her to sit on the couch.

"Big names and great places are seldom concealed," said Anikaa.

"Well, thank you for the compliment. I bought it for my wife, Shalini. She loved India and wanted to be close to her culture. She insisted on buying a small villa but I wanted to give her the best," said Richard, his lips curving in a smile.

"Your wife was beautiful and a wonderful artist," said Anikaa admiring one of the huge paintings on the wall.

"Yes, she was a beautiful person and she completed me and my life. The moment I saw her, I was in love with her," said Richard, his eyes gleaming with tears.

Anikaa could not believe it. She perceived Richard Sturrock as a hard core businessman but here he was unfolding himself in front of a stranger. She had never witnessed love like this before. Love and promises like 'can't live without you' were all in books and movies for her. Her parents were never in love, hell they were never even friends. Given a chance, they would go back to time and undo their marriage. And, here this man was almost crying for his wife.

A brief knock sounded on the door and Richard composed himself. Luton appeared with attendant carrying wine glasses.

"Please, it's from my own vineyards," said Richard delightedly.

Anikaa took a glass and then, Richard took two- taking a sip from one and then the other. "Perfect..." he muttered under his breath. Anikaa was looking keenly at the man who was capable of masking his emotions like her. A moment before he was teary-eyed and next moment he was endorsing his best wines.

"Luton, no more disturbances," said Richard sternly and Luton trotted out of the room with the attendant.

"I thought it was a private dinner," said Anikaa as soon as Luton closed the door.

Richard took no offence but was impressed that Anikaa was not beating around the bushes like other people who after witnessing his wealth pretended to be interested in his life.

"Ah...Yes...but I could not help it. I arranged for a private dinner with you but my sons invited their friends, people from their circle," chuckled Richard.

"And, what's the purpose of our rendezvous?" asked Anikaa sipping her wine again and assessing Richard closely.

"We have a connection Anikaa, which I would like to explore," said Richard solemnly.

Anikaa straightened up, her mind filled with all the weird ideas. Has she done any business deals with Sturrocks? No way. She never forgets her deals. Is he, her long lost uncle? No freaking way.

"You are an artist like my Shalini," said Richard, studying Anikaa's expressions.

"And? There are hundreds of artists in India and thousands in the world," said Anikaa.

"Yes, but you share a special connection with Shalini," said Richard taking his time.

Anikaa shifted uncomfortably on the couch. It seemed that Richard was holding more than she could listen to.

"Let me tell you from the start," said Richard.

"Shalini was 25 when I met her in Sundarbans about 33 years ago, to be precise. I was there with my friends touring the forest land when I first saw her. She was beautiful and kind, I instantly fell for her. She was all alone in this world, lost her parents at an early age. She worked with an NGO and volunteered for educating tribals about the basic living patterns of modern world, to be precise- modern India. She used to learn tribal artwork from them which she later used in her paintings. She was very good at it," paused Richard taking a sip of his wine.

"We married and left for US where she opened her own art gallery and became a prominent artist known chiefly for her tribal artworks. Raymond was born and then Karan came into this world. Everything was perfect," said Richard glowing.

"Nine months ago, she went to Thailand to participate in charity donations. When she returned, she was disturbed and eluded my questions and worries whenever I asked her. To be precise, she was not being herself," said Richard gravely.

"I read that your wife died in mysterious circumstances. What happened?" asked Anikaa.

Richard took a deep sigh and said, his voice faltering- "She is not dead, she just...disappeared."

Anikaa stared at him with astonishment. The evening was turning out mysterious like the black night.

"What do you mean- disappeared?" she asked.

"She was not well, after her trip from Thailand so we decided to go to our private island for some time. The island did well to her health and she began becoming her usual self. One morning, I had to rush for an urgent meeting to Seattle. I came back and found she was not there. The servants said that she was sitting by the beach and ordered them- not to disturb her. But, when they returned to ask her for dinner she was not there."

"Mr. Sturrock, are your servants reliable?" asked Anikaa at once.

"I know what you are getting to. We checked everything, the CCTV, the servants, the security; in fact we checked the island with the help of divers as well. But, she was not there," said Richard his voice cracking now.

"Then, what happened," prompted Anikaa softly.

"Nothing. I am still trying to find her, I know she is alive and I will bring her back," said Richard sternly. His eyes holding determination.

"Mr. Sturrock, this is so unbelievable. You are a billionaire, the world looks up to you and your family. How come media is still unaware that your wife is missing and not dead?"

"There are secrets in this world- hidden under the wraps, mine is one of them," said Richard in a deep voice.

"Then, why are you revealing your secrets to a stranger?" asked Anikaa in a clipped tone.

"Because I have been told so."

"Told? By whom?" asked Anikaa curiously.

"Jiyu."

As, Richard mentioned Jiyu's name Anikaa's senses perked up. What the hell? Jiyu? Again?

"Jiyu? Who is Jiyu and what did he tell you?" asked Anikaa incensed.

"For last few months, I was not myself. I lost my best friend, love of my life and wanted to evade this world. If you believe me, there was a time I was waiting to die," said Richard sadly.

"But, three months ago, things changed. I met a strange man when I was in Japan. His name was Jiyu, an ordinary looking monk from a distance but captivating when you go near him. His words were flowing like river and I was not able to get out of his trance," said Richard calmly.

Anikaa remembered her strange encounter with Jiyu. How she was the only one who saw him.

"When he spoke to me, I felt peaceful. Gone were the ill feelings, the feeling of emptiness. He asked me to wait till everything gets solved. He mentioned that my wife is safe and asked me to bear patience," said Richard smiling and holding his wine glass dearly. His eyes now full of hope.

Anikaa was suddenly feeling claustrophobic. The large room was bearing on her and she wanted to dash out for fresh air. However, she also wanted answers to this puzzling mystery of Jiyu.

"What do you want from me?" asked Anikaa finally.

"Jiyu asked me to pass you the last painting of Shalini," said Richard.

"Painting?"

Richard took a deep sigh and went to the wall near the fireplace. In the corner, there was a simple painting of white vase hanging on the wall. He took it out himself and brought it to Anikaa.

"Here it is," said Richard holding the painting carefully.

She glanced at the painting and the paintings hung on the wall, a huge difference existing in them. The paintings on the wall were an intricate work of a professional artist. While, this painting was a simple white vase on a dark- brown- black background. There was nothing extraordinary about it and was signed by Shalini Sturrock. Anikaa studied the painting for several seconds; everything was so unexpected and happening so quickly.

"Mr. Sturrock...," she said finally.

"Call me Richard, dear...," he said warmly.

Anikaa regarded his suggestion and continued.

"Richard, all this is very bizarre and I am not able to figure out anything," said Anikaa truthfully.

"Well, you take this painting dear and everything will fall in place."

"No. I can't take it. I am sorry," said Anikaa leaping from the couch at once. She needed to breathe.

"Anikaa, you have to take this. That's what I have been told," said Richard.

"Told by whom? See, I refuse to believe in this mystery man and I deny to be part of all this," said Anikaa exasperated.

She took the last sip of wine and made a dash towards the door without looking back.

"If you take this painting, Sturrock enterprises will invest in your business," said Richard, in a canny voice which stopped Anikaa on her tracks.

She whirled around. Yes, she could handle shrewd business. But investment! He wants to invest for this painting? For this hocus-pocus? What's wrong with him?

"I don't take investors Mr. Sturrock. I like to own everything," said Anikaa smirking.

"How about if I help you to make you foray internationally?" asked Richard a bit calmly.

"I am an International artist Mr. Sturrock" said Anikaa impassively.

Richard was now considering his options. Money, fame, success, nothing seems to be luring her. He knew that all cards now belonged to her. She could ask him to give half of his wealth and he would do that to find his wife.

"What do you propose?" he asked finally, in a calm voice.

Anikaa looked straight in the eyes of Richard which held fear as well as determination. He was not ready to back off but his fingers were trembling as he waited for Anikaa to make her decision. One way or the other he wanted his wife back and he seemed to resort to this mysterious Jiyu's idea. Strange! When it comes to family, people often relinquish their sensibilities. Anikaa's brain and heart were duelling whether she should leave or help him.

"I have heard that you are opening a charity school on your wife's name," said Anikaa.

"Yes, I am."

"I would like to be part of it," said Anikaa, her eyes sharp.

Richard was shocked to hear this. What a girl, he thought. She had the power to ask him anything- money, securities, stake, companies- he would have given her. And, here she wanted to be part of this charity school.

"Also, Mr. Sturrock you own Manshiura- your private island...."

Ahh...there she is. She will now ask you to give her the islands, said a soft voice inside Richard's head which he ignored and waited for Anikaa to finish.

"I have heard a lot about your island, especially the migratory birds that breed there. I would like to spend a week over there, with your permission," said Anikaa impassively.

It took moments to register the words of Anikaa. Richard leapt towards her and engulfed her in a bear hug, startling Anikaa by his unexpected actions.

"Oh Yes! You can stay for a month...year. In fact, you can come anytime on the island. I will arrange my private jet for you. Please bring your family, be my guest," said Richard squeezing Anikaa.

Anikaa was overwhelmed with his gesture. She did not refuse Richard because one way or the other he would thrust the painting on her. She was aware that Richard could give her anything she wanted, but she never exploited anyone's vulnerability. It was not her style. Nevertheless, she never clicked shallow deals. Being associated with Sturrocks, will give her enough media coverage which will be good for her company and artworks. She would take the painting right now and decide its fate later on.

After a warm hug, Richard looked at Anikaa with thankful eyes.

"I will send over the painting tomorrow to your villa. Now my lady, may I have the pleasure to escort you to dinner, please," said Richard offering his hand to Anikaa.

"Sure," said Anikaa slipping her hands in the crook of his arms as they both walked out of the room to the grand hallway.

*******************************

"Darling, you look so sexy when you don't shave," purred the blonde girl.

Raymond looked at the girl standing close to him almost brushing her body. Her heavy makeup, false eyelashes and plunging-neck gown were overbearing. Her profuse perfume was filling his nostrils and he was about to get a headache. How in heaven did he landed with her as his date for tonight! He was about to leave the party when he saw Karan with a girl.

"Excuse me," he said and walked straight to Karan.

"You didn't say, you had a date brother," said Raymond accosting Karan and Rachel.

"Ah....even I didn't know," chuckled Karan.

"Rachel this is my one and only bro Raymond. And, brother this is Rachel, beauty on heels."

Rachel could feel heat pouring into her cheeks. Her pale colour turning into apple red when Karan called her 'beauty on heels'. She blushed at his genuine compliment.

Raymond was way more than handsome than Karan. Almost, same height above six feet, he had straight black hair, smoldering black eyes and chiselled jawline. His crisp custom- made suit was doing full justice to his body, outlining his flat tummy, broad shoulders and well- built muscles. Both the brothers seemed almost walking in from a Versace photoshoot.

"Rachel, what a beautiful name. Where are you from?" asked Raymond.

"I am from Kolkata," said Rachel.

"Bro, you need to look for someone else, she is with me," mocked Karan in his brotherly tone.

Rachel blushed again. She was not Karan's date, they just met. But, she liked his possessiveness. Though, Raymond was way more handsome than Karan, somehow he didn't stir her feelings like Karan.

"Alright, I won't flirt with her. But, what do you do Rachel?" asked Raymond.

"I am Anikaa Mehra's secretary," said Rachel proudly.

"Anikaa? Who is she?" asked Raymond frowning.

It was a perfect moment, when Richard and Anikaa entered the grand hallway together in arms. Raymond turned around to see the stir and stood rooted to the spot, his eyes taking in the stunning woman in the black.

Her olive skin was spotless and her burgundy- black hair cascaded on her shoulders effortlessly. She was wearing minimum make up and to his surprise no jewellery. He instinctively looked at her hand, sighing with relief she had no ring. He stood gazing at her, noting all the details. Her little black dress hugged her body dearly, outlining her curves. She was well endowed and her neckline revealed her perfect collarbone. Her face and her eyes lit up when she laughed. Her attitude oozed confidence as if she owned the party, the hall, the mansion, him. It was in the air of her walking. Her simplicity was enchanting, prevailing over all the women in the party. She had not seen him yet, but he felt that the attraction will be mutual as all the girls desired him in any part of the world.

Raymond was so engrossed in looking at Anikaa that he didn't even notice when the previous girl came next to him.

"Who is she and why is your father introducing him to everyone?" she asked acidly.

Raymond stilled. Why, the question didn't come to his mind. After his mother's disappearance, Richard was heartbroken and he left the organisation to his sons. He was touring different parts of the world from the last six months when three months ago he called him to open a charitable educational institute and a painting gallery in India. They all came a week ago after everything was arranged and his father didn't meet anyone- not even his sons. Then, who is this girl and why his father has bestowed his special attention to her. He ignored the girl again and walked to Karan who was busy entertaining Rachel.

"Do you know whoever she is?" asked Raymond vexed.

Karan grinned and answered- "She is Anikaa."

Raymond frowned and was about to question Rachel, when his father held the mic, standing in the centre of the room with Anikaa.

"Ladies & Gentlemen, I would like to introduce a new addition in Sturrocks' family- Anikaa Mehra. She is going to be a board member in Sturrock's educational institute and will help us in making it a better place for children," said Richard smiling warmly.

A swarm of people thronged to Anikaa & Richard, congratulating them and giving wishes while, Raymond stood glaring daggers to the newest addition. For last three months, his team was working on this project and now his father added a new board member without even his consultation. He had no issues in his father taking any business decisions. As a matter of fact, his father had raised the business and had increased his family's wealth in no time. But, now Raymond had been handling the business for last six years and his investments and business acumen had increased the firm's credibility and wealth ten-fold. The institute was his baby and he was more attached to it as it held his mother's name. He decided to speak to his father about it, but first he need to figure out the girl in black- Anikaa.

Anikaa had an eventful evening. She was sitting in the bar drinking a much required margarita. Her mind was recollecting all that happened. A distant American tycoon- private dinner invitation- which turned out not at all private- mansion- meeting Mr. Sturrock- his story- painting pushed to her- and Jiyu reconnected. Who is Jiyu? She was all riled up and she needed answers. She was about to gulp her whole drink at once and leave the party when a husky male voice pulled her out of the dwam.

"Enjoying the evening?"

Anikaa whirled around to find black charcoal eyes staring right into her brown ones. His firm gaze was fixed upon her. She felt a strange energy pulling her towards him. The man was towering her and was standing little close than acceptable to a stranger. Oh, but this stranger was so handsome and he smelled woody, spicy and fresh. His chiselled jawline was sparsely covered with stubble.

What a sexy distraction! I thought god has stopped making these models nowadays, she thought and purposefully glanced him from his head to toes and then back up, waiting for him to make next move. Anikaa was not a seductress but something trigerred her to challenge him.

Raymond was never been assessed like this before. Yes, he was used to women ogling him for good looks and money, but never ever someone had the audacity to inspect him on his face.

"Like what you see?" he asked smirking.

"Not bad," said Anikaa smirking back.

"But, you still have lot of scope for improvement," she said adding fuel to the fire.

Raymond's eyes flared with her boldness. He came to intimidate her, but here she was turning the tables on him. And, strangely he liked it. All the girls till date were on his beck and call and here was someone ready to challenge him. More than challenging, she was playing with him.

"How about you? You think you are perfect?" asked Raymond glaring at her.

"I am better than perfect," said Anikaa sharply.

Raymond was about to answer her back when Richard interrupted him.

"Haa...there you are. You two finally met. Anikaa darling, this is my eldest son- Raymond who is now reigning Sturrocks' corporation. And, Raymond this delightful lady here is Anikaa Mehra, one of the most remarkable woman I have ever met," roared Richard.

Raymond took the chance and held out his hand, his eyes still gazing at Anikaa. Anikaa took few seconds and then shook his hand. Her small, firm hands were engulfed in his big ones and his thumb rubbed the top of her hand purposefully.

Raymond felt a shot of current going through his body, when Anikaa shook his hands. Her hands were so smooth; he felt that he was caressing the finest silk and yet so firm. He felt like holding it, sliding his fingers into hers and tugging her along. His unsaid prayer was immediately answered, when Richard pushed them for a dance.

"Come on you two. Get on the dance floor," said Richard smiling.

Raymond looked at Anikaa and held out his hand for a dance. When she took few seconds, he feared of getting rejected first time in his life and that too in front of his father. After assessing him, she took his hand and they went to the dance floor where Rachel was already dancing with Karan.

Anikaa noted that Rachel was very happy with Karan and had forgotten that they came together. Everyone, deserves a break, she thought and looked at Raymond who was now showing what he had in his mind. He slid his arms to her waist slowly feeling her curves and pulled her body to him. Her delicate floral scent was a mixture of roses and jasmine. He could stand smelling her for years. Anikaa rested her hand on his shoulder and their bodies moved to the music.

"So, what do you do Miss Mehra?" asked Raymond still holding her gaze.

"I just try to be remarkable," said Anikaa smirking and breaking their gaze. She was feeling a strong attraction towards him and looking into his eyes was deepening the desire. Attraction was not good! Not for her! Raymond instantly felt that she was holding herself back.

"You are certainly remarkable. I have never seen my dad getting impressed by someone in such a short time," he said truthfully.

Anikaa returned her gaze back to him and saw his eyes regarding her shrewdly, but the strange pull was still there.

"Mr. Sturrock is a nice man," she said.

"My father has a big heart and I don't like people taking advantage of him," said Richard sternly.

Anikaa stilled in his arms. She knew what he meant and it pissed her off. An hour ago, his father was imploring her to help him and here his son was accusing her of using him. She stopped dancing at once and retreated from the dance floor.

Raymond could feel her anger coursing through her body and didn't stop her when she withdrew. He saw her leaving him and his eyes strained on the exposed zip fastening at the back of her dress. What's wrong with me? I am still thinking that....

His body suddenly jumped to action and followed her to the bar.

"Look, I didn't mean to....I was just trying to know you," said Raymond hesitatingly.

Anikaa whirled around, her eyes blazing with fury.

Whoa! She looks striking in anger, said a low voice in Raymond's head.

"Jumping to conclusions is ignorance, Mr. Raymond Sturrock; hardly expected from a man of your stature," seethed Anikaa.

Raymond held back for few seconds.

"I am not jumping to conclusions; I am trying to know you," said Raymond.

"Why don't you ask your father about me, he will give you all the information you want," said Anikaa indignantly.

"You don't understand. My father...." Raymond was intervened when the same girl appeared from nowhere slipping her arms in his hands. He stilled and wanted to wrench his hand away, but his good manners and cultured upbringing controlled his temper.

"Darling, where were you. I was looking for you everywhere," purred the girl giving envied look to Anikaa.

"Take care of your darling, he is suffering from prejudice," snapped Anikaa and sauntered towards the door, leaving enraged Raymond behind.

She caught Rachel in between who was standing with Karan.

"Rachel, the party is officially over for me," said Anikaa sternly without stopping and walked out.

Rachel at once understood the simmering tone of Anikaa and almost ran to catch her.

At the exit, Luton tried to stop Anikaa, but in vain.

"Miss Anikaa, you leavin? I must inform Mr. Sturrock," said Luton, ready to trot back.

"We don't have time Mr. Ravenscroft. Please give my regards to Mr. Sturrock. It was an extraordinary evening," said Anikaa in a clipped tone and went towards her car.

Luton was confused whether to trot back in or escort Anikaa to the car. However, he chose the latter.

Raymond glared at Anikaa as she got into her sleek black Rolls Royce. Yes, he did come after her. Nobody has ever walked out on him before. Usually, he had walked out on women and few business deals but nobody had the capacity or grit walking out on him. He was trying to figure out the most objectionable part of the evening- his dad making her non- executive director, his attraction towards Anikaa, her arrogance, her impertinence, oh the list was endless. The party was officially over for him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

259 22 7
"The coolest part about detectives is that they are hidden by the veil of innocence and mystery." Aashvi Sharma has two identities- a sweet, innocent...
63.7K 6.4K 40
👮‍♀️🤍🤵 Anika: Strange right? The murder happened in Oberoi Mansion buy nobody knows that girl Shivaay: Why the hell are you behind my family? I kn...
147K 20.6K 70
Love of Arts Series - Book 1 - Painting Art (Darshana - Hridhay, Vedakumar) Hridhay My father was a demon in business and he wanted me to be one. Yes...
407 99 9
Unseen Shadows: A Journey from Sarcasm to Justice in the Turmoil of Unexpected Alliances. In the tranquil routine of her normal civilian life, Maya J...