Anikaa & The Mystery of the P...

By adhyakrish

Anikaa Mehra, a multi-millionaire artist finds a riddle hidden inside a painting which is not only the clue t... More

Preface
1. Engagement of Prashant & Naina
2. The Invitation
3. The Midnight Guest
4. The Illusion
5. The Ride
6. Nishant's Flight
8. The Sturrocks
9. The Black Maze
10. Strange Happenings
11. Jiyu Unlocked
12. The Research
13. The Riddle
14. Meeting Jiyu Again
15. Involving Raymond
16. Breaking Ice
17. The Gnomons
18. The Spooky Note
19. Meeting Sameera aka Samaira
20. The Poisonous Dart
21. Meeting Bhagyashree
22. The Second Strike of Gnomons
23. The Parchment
24. Anikaa goes rogue
25. The Attack on Rachel
26. The Howling Forests
27. Realm of Kurupas
28. Pit of Gnomons
29. The Musk Deer
30. Reaching Munnar

7. Invitation Reminder

90 6 0
By adhyakrish

There were times when Anikaa had a strong, irresistible desire to paint. And, it was today. She woke up at 6 and went straight to her newly laid canvas. She gathered her brushes, water acrylic paint and poured out heavy amounts of paint on tear-off paper palette. She held her brush and started off. Sometimes she needed inspirations, sometimes holidays, new thoughts but today her mind and brush were in the same accord as if someone was directing her to paint like that. One stroke of red and another stroke of yellow combined to make orange. She was using different brushes, sponge and making all sorts of colour combinations that she had never made before. Her relentless brush strokes were making sloppy sounds on canvas and her transparent water jar was now mixed with different colours.

After continuously working for more than an hour, Anikaa looked at the painting in front of her, her very own creation- a flower bed embedded deep in the valley and a man standing near it holding a water jar, donning a white robe. It was the same view she encountered yesterday morning. The man was Jiyu.

With a deep sigh, Anikaa mused- "Who are you?"

She took a deep breath and went inside for a hot bath. God knows how she needed it! After having a warm bath, Anikaa made her way to the wide custom- made luxurious 'walk-in wardrobe' in her bathrobe. Her closet was a room in itself which was designed exquisitely to her taste. It was featured in 'architectural digest' and 'good home' magazines. Though all her houses were differently designed but the walk-in closets of Anikaa's room in all of them were just the same. It was one place where nobody was allowed, not even her mother.

Her spacious closet boasted exclusive collections from Gucci, Armani, Chanel, Prada, Dior, Versace, Valentino, Louis vuitton, Roberto Cavalli to Balenciaga marking her love for brands. A bright red bocca sofa was kept in the middle of the room. It was one of her expensive imports that she was proud of. The room brightened up as Anikaa switched on her wireless Ipod playing 'Rihanna's work'. Swaying her hips Anikaa picked up a red-orange, silk Gucci pencil skirt alongwith white embroidered silk shirt. Dancing along the song she picked a 'textured ring with cream glass pearl' from Gucci and opened her watch collection. She chose 'Dior VIII Grand Bal Plume', a limited- edition timepiece which her mother gifted on her birthday. Putting on her favourable red lip shade, she made her way out of the room, closing her closet with a passcode. Sure to turn heads today.

Anikaa was surprised to see the hall vacant as she reached down the stairs. She looked at the wall clock as the hands indicated the time- 10 am.

"How come everyone is late today for breakfast?" She looked around at the dining table as it was not laid out. She was about to call upon the whole staff when she heard Prashant's whining from the garden.

"No way mom, I'm certainly not going to apologise to Naina. It's out of question," said Nishant again.

Everyone was sitting around on the garden table having their breakfast. Anikaa was late or they were early, wondered Anikaa and sauntered to the table. Rachel was also sitting with everyone looking much better and thank god, not sneezing.

"Hello sunshine," beamed Gul.

Anikaa was delighted at once and was grinning like a young schoolgirl who has been given 'Student of the year' award.

"Thank you, Gul" said Anikaa cheerfully.

"Hey Rachel, feeling better now?" asked Anikaa to which Rachel nodded affirmatively.

"Well, everything is good but why are you late my dear?" asked Shireen with motherly concern.

"Well, I was finishing my painting so.....," said Anikaa quickly hugging her mother.

"Where is Rustom and...?" asked Anikaa looking around curiously.

"Golf," everyone replied in unison.

"Mam, tea." Anikaa shifted a little to her right as Bahadur served her breakfast.

"What're you fussing about Prashant?" asked Anikaa chuckling. "Just three days and you are complaining about your future wife?"

Prashant was about to answer when he looked quizzingly at the new guest arriving at the breakfast table- Nishant, looking his miserable best.

"Whoa, what happened dude? Munnar didn't suit you?" asked Prashant.

"Or, he didn't suit to Munnar," said Anikaa taking a big bite of her bagel sandwich.

Nishant glared at Anikaa for mocking him. Shireen immediately knew from Anikaa's reply that it was she, who has sent him packing but she didn't wanted to defy her daughter's decision. She will surely ask her about it in private.

"Have you finished your work already, dear?" asked Shireen.

"Well, yes auntie. Work calls. Need to reach Mumbai today," answered Nishant uncomfortably praying someone stop him.

Gul and Prashant nodded their heads in agreement- "Work comes first."

"What time is your flight?" asked Shireen.

"Well, I will have to leave now, it is in late afternoon but need to drive to the Kochi airport," answered Nishant in a low voice.

"I will ask Bahadur to arrange for car. Please have breakfast," gestured Shireen.

Nishant walked slowly towards the table and sat on the other end, far away from Anikaa. He was sure his expressions were giving up on him. Taking a sip of his coffee, he wondered why he was so attracted towards Anikaa. After all, he was good looking, hailed from a rich family and was never short of female companions. Being a college charmer, he had dated models and newbie actresses. Anikaa was not the kind of girl he ever pursued. He remembered the first day he saw her, four years ago, when she was having dinner with her family at Marriott, before she had become famous painter and entrepreneur.

Like an ordinary girl, she was sitting with her family talking with them when he noticed how her eyes held determination. She was plump at that time and her five feet three inches did not help her much. But she was elegantly dressed in black top and blue jeans with bare makeup and red lipstick. Her clear face lightened up and her walk oozed confidence. He remembered turning his head thrice and noticing her more than his high-profile date who had almost maxed out his card.

After a while, Anikaa grew into a slender shape and rose to recognition when she became a famous artist, selling her artworks to famous celebrities and dignitaries throughout the world. He met her when she launched her business in realty market, a section where he also opened his startup. It was not because, he was not interested in stones and jewellery but he wanted to make his name in a completely different segment. However her business acuity & keen market insights made her more accurate than his. Their companies were often compared in realty businesses market and despite all his efforts; she always managed to grab major deals from under his nose.

Rachel was slowly gathering that Nishant was least interested in going away. 'Work excuse' was not meant for him. He was not good enough for it. His own family business was majorly managed by his sister and father. He was least enthusiastic about work. She knew that Anikaa had definitely kicked his ass for good as he was irking her a lot these days. Damn. She missed all the fun.

Nishant squarely enjoyed his meal and then was whisked off by elated Bahadur to his waiting car. He perceived that Anikaa's employees were tiny mirror images of her, echoing her actions and language every now and then. His luggage was already placed inside the vehicle and he was not given a second chance to go around the villa.

Anikaa was already in her library at her study table finishing her emails when Rachel sauntered in clutching her Ipad and laptop. Rachel was about to settle on her chair when, Bahadur softly knocked on the door.

"Mam, this came in when you were eating breakfast. I thought to give you afterwards," said Bahadur giving out an enclosed envelope.

Rachel took the envelope and opened it taking Anikaa's permission. She gasped as her eyes read the contents.

"Bahadur you may leave and close the door," ordered Anikaa.

"Would you care to read Rachel," said Anikaa.

"Sorry mam. It's from Mr. Sturrock, an invitation reminder," said Rachel and handed the letter to her.

Anikaa took the letter. It had the same emblem and was signed by Richard Sturrock.

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

27th November, 2016

Dear Anikaa Mehra,

Sub: Dinner Reminder

This is a formal reminder of private dinner which is going to be held at Mr. Richard Sturrock's mansion. Kindly, acknowledge your presence.

Warm Wishes,

Luton Ravenscroft

Secretary of Richard Sturrock

Anikaa opened the drawer of her desk and compared the two letters. Same paper, same emblem, same signature, nothing changed except the dates.

"That's pretty strange. Why would such a rich and successful man be bothered about me coming to dinner or not. Why is he reminding?" pondered Anikaa.

Rachel was equally flustered.

"Did you get the information I asked you about him," asked Anikaa authoritatively.

"Oh yes, I was about to check my laptop," said Rachel rushing to open her laptop. She typed in a quick password and printed the folder. She gave a sheaf of papers to Anikaa consequently.

"Same stuff- Multi-billionaire, investor, art lover, realty magnate, philanthropist...," said Anikaa speed reading the papers.

"Here is some personal information," said Rachel handing the document to Anikaa.

'Spouse- Mrs. Shalini Sturrock, mysterious death reported six months ago. She was an Indian artist who met Richard, when he visited India 33 years ago. They married after a year and then she relocated to Seattle where she opened her first art gallery. Money coming from her artworks went straight to charity. She did some great social work for children and was awarded for her humanitarian deeds. They have two sons- Raymond Sturrock (31) and Karan Sturrock (28),' read Anikaa and glanced towards Rachel who was smitten with the pictures.

"Whoa... Sturrocks' are hot with a capital H...," said Rachel with twinkle in her eyes and handed pictures to Anikaa.

Anikaa saw the pictures showing no interests in Rachel's remarks. But, she particularly gazed at Raymond's picture for a little longer.

"I think you should go there," asserted Rachel.

"You know it will be good for our company. New connections, new people, new opportunities; new markets....," went on Rachel persuasively.

"What are they doing in India?" asked Anikaa ignoring Rachel's assertion.

"Well, it seems it is his wife's birth anniversary and they are opening an educational institute on her name. All three Sturrocks' are here," said Rachel handing her more documents.

Anikaa browsed through the contents again and handed all the papers back to Rachel.

"Burn them," said Anikaa impassively in a steely tone.

Rachel didn't ask her any questions, just nodded with an enquiring look.

"Mom, dad and Prashant are leaving tomorrow for Canada. We will stay back. We have some new business to attend to," said Anikaa.

She walked towards the door, her heels clattering on the floor. She held the knob and turned- "And, let Mr. Ravenscroft know that we are coming. Send some relief for Mr. Sturrock," said Anikaa.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 653 4
#16 in Mystery/Thriller 20-08-2017 She wants To Die after this flight travel He wants To get Married after this travel A drastic flight accident gonn...
The Family Secret By Mishti

Mystery / Thriller

273 50 16
It is a story of a girl named Aniha. She is 13 years old. Her mother died when she is just 5 years old. Her father is always in a tensed mood because...
9K 1.1K 45
*the place and character in this story are fictional * Imlie, a girl who had struggled a lot in her life finally gets a big break when Narmada Singh...
69 6 1
A school trip sets the stage for an unforgettable journey for nine children, each unaware of the thrilling escapades awaiting them. Among them, Abhig...