Duty

By the_hooded_girl

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... More

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 45 Boncini
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie

594 44 12
By the_hooded_girl

Vara's sandals slapped against the marble floor as she rushed through the palace halls. It had been mere luck the riders had found them already on their way back to Boncini. Otherwise she wasn't sure she would have made it on time. They had already lost more than a day riding all the way to Boncini only to be informed the lord and lady were visiting friends in Valais.

Vara hurried around the corner and came to a halt when she found the entire family in the hallway.

King Marcos stood at the window with a grave face. Ariane was softly rocking baby Loukios on one arm. Close by, Iolaus was solemnly watching Cyrus who sat on a stone bench with his head in his hands.

When she approached he looked up with tear struck eyes. Recognizing her, he held out his hand.

Vara rushed up to him and locked her arms around him as he buried his head against her stomach, bringing his arms tightly around her waist.

His silent sobs shook her body and she felt her own tears fall as well. Was she already too late?

"Vara," the king acknowledged her.

Vara nodded at him. "My king." She was vaguely aware of Ariane's eyes on her, but at the moment she couldn't be bothered to care.

Cyrus was still holding her in a tight embrace when the door to Caius and Eurydice's room opened. Eurydice stepped onto the hallway. Her eyes were red rimmed and fatigued. Still, she smiled when she saw Vara and she held out her hand. "I am glad you are here, my child. Come. He is asking for you."

Vara blinked her tears away. "He... still lives?" she rasped.

"He's been waiting," king Marcos spoke quietly, "you should hurry."

Vara nodded and released Cyrus, who was reluctant to let her go. He unwound his arms from her waist, but grabbed her wrist to halt her movements.

She looked at him pleadingly. "I will return," she told him quietly while freeing herself from him. With one last saddened look over her shoulder she entered the room.

Ariane watched the entire exchange between Vara and Cyrus quietly and confused. Ever since the news that lord Caius was on his deathbed, Cyrus had been withdrawn and upset. She had tried to comfort him, but he had spurned her, pushing away her every attempt to be there for him, but he hadn't hesitated welcoming Vara's presence. He had clung to her as if she were is lifeline.

And the way she had embraced him so protectively...

Ariane paled and her lip trembled. No. It couldn't be true... but she knew it was true. How could she have been so blind?

But she knew why. She hadn't made the connection because Vara and Cyrus were siblings by name. That was how they were always presented. She hadn't though anything of it, even seeing how close they were.

But they were siblings by name. Not by blood. What she had mistaken for affection between a brother and sister, in reality had been something else.

Darius. Darius had known she realized. And Torcan? Ariane's eyes moved to Iolaus. He was best friends with both Cyrus and Vara. He must have known. And the king... Ariane's eyes flitted to king Marcos at the window. And lady Eurydice? The old woman had joined them to give Vara some privacy with lord Caius.

Yes, she decided. They had all known.

She felt like such a fool.

Her eyes fell on Iason who had just entered the hallway too. He bowed awkwardly at the royal family and glanced at the bedroom door before setting his eyes on Cyrus. Ariane understood that look in his eyes now and she pitied him as she pitied herself. What was it like to know your wife loved the man you served?

She held Loukios closer to her. At least she still had her son. She kissed the boy's golden locks. At least he was too young to understand.

"Iason," Iolaus had approached the young soldier and spoke to him quietly. "Vara is inside with lord Caius. Come, join us while we wait." He placed a hand on Iason's shoulder and steered him to the side.

Ariane averted her head to hide the tears. Vara, who had been kind to her from the moment Ariane had arrived at court, who had helped her adjust to life in Zeir, pointed out who she could trust and who to be wary of. Vara, who apparently couldn't be trusted herself.

Was that why she had scorned all her suitors?

Ariane sighed sadly. If Cyrus loved Vara then she could never compete. She wasn't like Vara. They were two completely different people.

The door to the bedroom opened again and Vara rejoined them. Tears were running down her face freely, though she did not make a sound.

With a few steps, Iason was next to her and folded her into a tight embrace, but Ariane hadn't missed the fact that Cyrus had also stood up.

"Vara?" king Marcos questioned gently.

Vara took a deep breath and untangled herself from Iason. She wiped her eyes and looked at the king. "He is ready. It is time."

...

"Do you think they'll send aid?" Eloni looked at her sister with a worried expression on her face. Riders had been sent out that morning to Boncini in Zeir.

Elora smiled comforting. "It is my understanding Boncini is lady Vara's holding. She is sister to prince Cyrus. Aside from that, Zeir is our ally. They'll send aid. As soon as the soldiers arrive at Salvire, father's men can go home."

"I hope so," Eloni sighed, "I am worried. We haven't had much trouble with Balor before, aside from the occasional raid at the border."

"Yes," Elora nodded, "but now father has allied with Tirèze. And Tirèze is ally to Zeir whom Balor are at war with. I suppose it was only a matter of time before they'd turn to Lavos." She smiled at her sister. "We can handle this. Balor is only one nation. They are trying to pick a fight with three of their neighbors at once. We will keep them at bay."

"You are right," Eloni said with confidence, "everything is going to be fine," She took a deep breath and smiled. "Enough talk of war. Let's focus on you. Have you decided on names yet?"

Elora shook her head. "Darius will name the child. It is custom here for the father to name the child, but I don't mind. I just want it to be healthy."

Eloni smiled sadly and longingly. She had longed for a child for a long time, but hadn't conceived yet. Byron kept assuring her it would come and there was no hurry, but she still wished to become a mother. "I envy you," she said quietly.

Elora grabbed her sister's hands and pressed them. "Don't despair. Your time will come, Eloni."

"I know," Eloni answered, "Byron says the same thing. Perhaps I am just impatient."

"Don't be," Elora said, "it will happen. Until then you can be a doting aunt to this little one."

Eloni smiled. "I'd be delighted."

...

They had gathered in the large sitting room. A servant was providing them with food and wine while the family discussed funeral arrangements. King Marcos and lady Eurydice were bent over a list of names of lords if the provinces. Riders would have to be sent out as soon as possible. Already the body was being cleaned and treated for preservation.

Vara knelt on the thick blanket where Lucius was happily playing with a toy. He still looked so innocent. She smiled at him lovingly as his small hand grabbed her finger. "Hello, little Luca," she cooed, "how you've grown."

She looked up when a shadow fell over her. Ariane lifted the child from the blanket and held it close to her. Vara blinked confused at the woman's actions, but Ariane didn't look at her.

Someone else however did. Cyrus's eyes moved from Vara to his wife, an unreadable expression on his face. "Let her hold him," he told Ariane.

Both women looked at him. Ariane pale and hurt, Vara startled.

"Cyrus," Vara said, "it's really not..."

But he ignored her. His eyes were still on Ariane. "Give him to her."

Ariane subconsciously locked her arms around her son more tightly. "He... he needs feeding."

Cyrus raised an eyebrow in suspicion. "Didn't you just feed him?"

Ariane bit her lip and looked down. She had in fact just fed him, but how could she tell Cyrus why she didn't want Vara to hold her child?

Cyrus narrowed his eyes impatiently. He didn't have time for her antics. He didn't know what her problem was, but it grated on his already raw nerves. "Give him to me," he demanded. When Ariane hesitated, he gritted his teeth. "Give me my son!" he hissed.

The ruckus had drawn the attention of king Marcos and lady Eurydice. Marcos narrowed his eyes at his son. "Cyrus," he warned, "now is not the time."

Ariane was crying and Eurydice hurried over, locking her arms around both Ariane and Lucius. "Hush now child," she comforted the girl, "it's alright." She looked around the room tiredly. "It's been a long day. Perhaps it would be wise to retreat for the evening. We all need some rest."

"Yes," king Marcos agreed sternly, "that would be wise. We will gather again in the morning." He looked at Vara. "Your old room will be readied for you and Iason. I'll have food brought to the dining hall where you can wait until the servants have finished."

Vara nodded. "Thank you," she said silently. She and Iason waited for everyone to leave. Then Vara turned around to Iason. "I'm sorry," she told him, "this was not how I planned our tip. It was supposed to be a visit to your family. Instead we ended up mourning."

He shook his head and wrapped an arm around her. "This is not your fault."

Vara bit her lip. "I think Ariane knows."

Iason sighed and hummed. "It is likely. He was not exactly subtle just now."

"I'm sorry," Vara said again.

"Stop apologizing," he told her and planted a kiss in her hair, "I know how difficult this is for you. I know you've done nothing wrong. You can't help who you love."

Vara looked at him sadly. "I do love you," she said guiltily.

He smiled at her warmly and brushed a lock of her hair behind her ear. "Let's go get something to eat."

...

Cyrus glared at his wife who had just put their son to bed. "What was that about? Why would you not let Vara hold him?"

Ariane stiffened and looked down. When he was angry like this, he was quite intimidating, even if he had ever laid a hand on her.

"Well?" he demanded.

She looked up at him with teary eyes, but remained silent. She could see he was losing his patience. At least he was not yelling.

"Answer me," he said.

Her lip started to tremble. "You want her to have my son too?" she managed to get out.

Cyrus looked at her uncomprehending. "What are you talking about, 'have him too'?"

Ariane took a deep breath and forced herself to hold his gaze. "She already has your heart. Now you want to give her my son's as well? He is all I have."

"She only wanted to hold him!" Cyrus said.

"But you love her!" Ariane yelled in tears. She let out a sob. "You love her."

Cyrus ran a hand across his face. "Can we not do this now?"

Ariane sobbed again. "You don't even deny it."

"I am many things," Cyrus said, "but not a liar. What difference does it make? You are my wife and she married someone else."

"Because she couldn't have you," Ariane whispered.

"Because my father wouldn't let me have her!" Cyrus yelled.

Ariane flinched, not because of his shouting, but because his words hurt her. She started to cry again.

"Stop crying," Cyrus demanded, "I've had enough to deal with today. My grandfather died. I am not in the mood to have this conversation with you." To top it all, Lucius had woken up and was wailing now as well.

Cyrus pressed his fingers against this temple and rubbed his head. "I need some peace and quiet." He turned and walked out the door, leaving his son and wife alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

746K 22.6K 40
• BOOK 1 IN MEANT TO BE SERIES • • COMPLETED • • STANDALONE • ~ "I was never yours." I retorted angrily. "Oh sweetheart. You were always min...
468K 23.3K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
560K 17.3K 34
You all know the old fairy-tale's where an evil and cruel dragon kidnaps the princess because of her beauty and then knights in shinning armour arriv...
1.5K 119 11
Hoping to have a lovely married life with her husband completely vanished in just a blink of eye when her father and mother-in-laws involved in a tra...