We're The Back Pocket Believe...

By keep_the_secret

Hazel Reede was average. Actually, she was a little below that. She is fifteen when her family dies and leave... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Author's Note

Epilogue

9.3K 253 128
By keep_the_secret

A/N - Okay , I lied . That WAS the last chapter . But this is still the knot at the end of all the loose ends

When I Wake Up , The Dream Isn't Done ,I Want To See Your Face And Know I Made It Home

It had been six years since I'd last seen or heard of All Time Low. But that was changing now . My alarm clock beeped when it struck six a.m. , but the hand that had been hovering over it for the past twenty seconds stopped the noise quickly .

I'd already been awake , see . I had been counting down to six , because that was when I'd been born . Marking this hour , this day and this year the exact time I turned 21 .

I had been preparing for this day for years . My dad was rich , so I had a car . I'd booked a hotel room . And most of all , I'd purchased one ticket and one backstage pass to an All Time Low concert .

My father had kept the band away from me for the past six years – but I was , in every single way , an adult now . He had no control over me anymore .

I wasn't lucky that they were performing in California on my birthday , because they weren't . They were doing a show in Arizona , but luckily for me my father's house was right by the border . A few hours in the car , and I would be able to meet again the people who had kept me breathing the past six years .

I didn't bother telling anyone I was leaving . The staff around the house ; I'd already told in my excitement . My dad ? He wasn't here , but that's no big surprise . He never was .

I got dressed in the clothes I'd laid out last night – the rest of my things were packed in the trunk of my car . I was too excited to eat breakfast , but I grabbed a few sandwiches for the road .

By six thirty I was driving , the morning sun beating hard through the car's windows . I turned the stereo on loud , and hid my eyes with a pair of sunglasses . It felt awesome being twenty one . Finally , I was free .

A few hours later , the city of Phoenix surrounded me on every side . My hands were shaking as I parked the car in the hotel's car park and grabbed my bags from the trunk . My hands were shaking , my stomach was squirming and my head was aching – but I still carried on . Everything screamed at me to go back , but I couldn't .

I checked into the hotel and dumped my bags . Then I began to prepare for the concert .

The last time I went to an All Time Low concert” I told myself , “I was fifteen . And the lead singer was my dad .”

I put on the shirt that Vinny had given that night Nikki , Pommie and I helped him with the merch stand . I used the hairspray that I'd so often seen sitting in the bus' bathroom . And I stared in the mirror , looking deep into the eyes that always reminded me of Steven and Mum .

I got to the concert hours early , hoping to spot the boys . But many other fangirls had gotten the same idea as me , so I ended up on the pavement behind a hundred other girls . I knew I would have to wait for ages , but it would be worth it if I got to see the band .

People I would never normally look out I began to talk to . Our love of All Time Low bonded us – and although I had forgotten their name within seconds , we talked in detail about ho they'd helped us and made us feel special .

Finally , the gates opened for the concert . I could barely breath .They opened with their latest single – which I didn't know , after being deprived of them for six years . But I didn't care . They made me able to not care , and to sing along to the lyrics I didn't know .

They hadn't changed in six years , not much anyway . Zack still came on stage topless – although he'd added quite a few more tattoos to his collection . Jack still bounced around stage as if he was a rubber ball someone had thrown from the top of the stairs . Rian still pounded on his drums as if it was a matter of life and death .

They still finished with Dear Maria , like they always had . They jumped around as if they hadn't just been running wild for over an hour straight .

Once the song was over , the people with backstage passes left with the rest of the concert-goers , but left to go to the stage entrance around the side . Bouncers inspected all the passes , before letting them through . I got shivers .

Once I was inside , my eyes glided over the fans and groupies . I was searching for someone …

Alexander William Gaskarth stood with a towel around his shoulders – clearly just out of the shower . He was surrounded by fangirls , but I ignored them . This was it ; the moment I'd been waiting for for the past six years .

Hey Alex” I said . It came out quieter than a meant it to , but his head swivelled around . And he smiled . Oh , how I'd missed that smile .

Hi” He said , finishing signing someone's shirt before giving me his full attention . “What's your name ?”

I grinned . “Hazel . But … Some people call me Halo .”

Alex smiled . “Cool . It's nice to meet you Halo .”

I've missed you so much , Alex” I said , breathing in deep .

Yeah ? So , you've been to a couple of shows before then ?”

I laughed . “More than a couple , Alex .”

He frowned . “What do you mean ?”

And then I could feel it . The worry , the fear coursing through my body . It came in waves , starting at my toes beginning to shake , and then my knees wobbling . I could feel my shoulders beginning to shake before I could speak .

Alex – you – you do remember me don't you ?”

Alex grimaced . “Eh , no sorry . But -”

What ? You don't …”

I'm really sorry , Hazel , was it ?”

NO !” I shouted , causing quite a few heads to turn . “No , I'm not Hazel , I'm Halo , Alex , I'm your Halo ! Please , please remember !”

I could feel the hot tears streaming out of my eyes , blurring my vision . The salt taste entered my mouth , but I couldn't stop it .

Hey , calm down” Alex said , clearly panicking . “I'm really sorry Hazel – Halo , but … I don't remember .”

Please , Alex” I sobbed , “You have to remember me , please , please , please , please ...”

“Please , please” I was whispering . Tears rolled down my cheeks , and I blinked . “Just a dream .”

It was a frequent dream , and I'd been having it even more lately . But no matter how many times I told myself it wasn't real , the dread that Alex would forget me still hovered in my mind .

I reached down under my bed , and pulled out the box I kept their . It was filled with everything related to Alex , the presents everyone had given me the day before the last trial , All Time Low shirts and CD's , and letters . My dad had taken away my cell phone and blocked the laptops in the house from going on anything related to ATL .

He'd even tried to take away my guitar .

“You just want to be a musician , like him” He sneered , “Well , I'll tell you this much . No one in my family will be going into that business .”

“It's not because of Alex !” I shouted , “That's Steven's guitar !”

Richard hesitated , so I decided to guilt trip him .

“Not that you would know “ I continued shakily , “You never went to any of his gigs . You didn't see his smile at the first song he played . You never cared about him – you're own son -”

“Alright” My dad interrupted , “Keep the damned thing if it means that much to you .”

And it did . Around here , my guitar was the only thing that kept me sane .

But for the past six months , I had found a method of communication with everyone in Maryland . Well , only Pommie really . We wrote letters – one a week . We told each other about anything and everything .

Alex had been tabooed , though . Pommie mentioned him once , and when I didn't reply to that part of the letter she figured out that I didn't want to talk about him . I didn't want to think about him . It just hurt too much .

My dream had been right about one thing , though . Or close to right , at least . Today was the last day I was fifteen , as tomorrow was my sixteenth birthday .

It was early , but I was never able to get back to sleep after having a bad dream . I got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast .

My father's house was huge . It was in the middle of nowhere , a spot in California where no one ever went to . For miles around – the land was owned by him , and no one was allowed near . If that wasn't impressive enough , he had several other houses just like this all over the states . But I'd never seen them . For the past six months I'd stayed in California – forbidden to even leave the house without someone with me .

The same rules didn't apply to Richard , of course . He'd stayed for the first week of my living here and then took off , and I have barely seen him since . He comes back some weekends with a different model every time , and I'm told to keep out of the way . Those nights , despite the thick walls , I can hear them in bed together . Yeah , my dad owns a modelling company . And yeas , he sleeps with the models . Gross , right ?

The job of looking after me while my dad was away was shared between Meryl the cook , Angie the housekeeper and Philip , my tutor . I know , my dad doesn't even let me go to school . That's how tight a reign he keeps on me .

Meryl is already up , and has prepared some melon for breakfast .

“Good morning Hazel” She says politely , “You are going to town today , yes ?”

I frowned . “Is it Tuesday ? Then , uh , yeah I guess so .”

Every Tuesday Angie went shopping and bought everything we would need for the week , and I tended to tag along too . Not only was it an escape from the house but I got to visit the post office and collect my letter from Pommie . Forget food , that was the only thing I needed to survive for the week .

“Ready to go ?” Angie says . She's a no-nonsense kind of woman , and to be honest I like that about her .

I nodded , gulping down the remains of my breakfast and following her out to the car . It's early , but the sun beats down in a way I've grown to hate .

The lady at the post office knows my name , and shakes her head when she sees me arriving .

“No post today Hazel” She said , and I panicked .

“Wh-what do you mean ?”

She shrugged . “You've no letter . I'm sorry , I know you were probably expecting one .”

To you , it might seem as if I'm overreacting . But if it does , you don't understand . Pommie always writes to me , no matter what .Every single Tuesday I walk through this door and the lady behind the desk doesn't need to ask what I want , she just hands me the envelope .

“Could you check again ? Please ?” I asked , and she shrugged .

“Sure , sweetie .” But she came back empty handed .

What if Pommie is ill ? What if she died ? What if she died , and I'll never know for certain ? I wouldn't be allowed go to her funeral anything – my best friend's funeral !

Or maybe … Maybe she just forgot me .

I was silent for the journey home , too busy worrying . Angie didn't care enough for me to ask what was wrong .

Back in the house , my lessons with Philip were due but I wasn't in the mood . However , when I arrived in the classroom everything seemed to be packed away . The table where I usually sat was empty , the blackboard blank and all of my tutor's things packed away .

“What's going on ?” I asked in confusion . From his bedroom , Philip poked his head out .

“I've got great news” He said gleefully , “Go on , guess !”

I sighed . “Urm , you won the lottery ?”

He hesitated , “Well , no … But I did win something !”

“Go ahead , tell me .”

Philip flicked his fiery hair out of his and beamed . “Okay , so , here I am , just out of the shower . Towel still around my waist and all . And I hear my phone ringing , right ? So I pick up , and I'm like hello ? And -”

“Eh , Philip ?” I asked cautiously , “Get to the point , please ?”

He blushed . “Right , right . So anyway , the guy on the phone was … Oh , he had a really funny name ...”

I rolled my eyes . This was typical Philip .

“Vinny !”

I sat up suddenly . “What ?”

Philip nodded . “That's his name , I remember . Short for Vincent . He had a funny surname too ...”

Could it possibly be my Vinny ?

“Vegas ?” I suggested .

“Of course not , that's a state not a surname . Petrocelli ! That was his name !”

I sighed . Not my Vinny then . “Well , what did he want ?”

“He said I won a two month cruise around the Caribbean ! Can you believe it ? I certainly couldn't ! Didn't even realise I'd entered ...”

I frowned . “What about me then ? And school ?”

“Don't worry , I called your father about that . He suggested getting you a new tutor , but I told him that it might be good for you to get a break from your studies .”

“And he agreed ?” I asked hopefully . Maybe something good could come from this after all .

“He sure did ! You've got a months holidays , starting now , so skedaddle kid .”

I grinned . “Thanks , Philly .”

That night , I dreamt of Alex again . The same dream that I'd had before , where Alex didn't remember me .

Please , Alex . I'm Halo , I'm your Halo ! Please remember me !”

He looked at me and shook his head . “I'm sorry Halo … Halo ? Halo ! Halo ! Halo !”

A sore spot in my arm forced me into reality – a place where I really didn't want to be . This was the only dream I'd ever had where Alex had remembered me , and now I was awake because of …

“Halo ! Halo !”

I swore under my breath . Shit , now I was delusional . Of course Alex wasn't here .

“Halo , wake the fuck up !” And again , something fleshy and fingerlike poked my arm .

I grunted sleepily , not having the energy to turn around .

“Halo !”

I think part of me that clung to the idea of this being a dream and I was still living with Alex took control for a second .

“Shut up Alex !” I yelled without realising , sitting up in bed . Then I frowned , because I'd said Alex . Then I gaped at the figure leaning over me .

“What are you doing here ?”

Alex stood up straight and smiled , his brown eyes twinkling mischievously . From his back pocket he took a pair of plastic handcuffs , and he winked .

"I'm kidnapping you ."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30K 929 73
______ "I need a room for a night?" I ask the lady at the check in desk at the hotel. She didn't question the tears running down my face, or my phon...
233K 4.2K 44
For a fostered kid, Isabel has had a pretty good life. Never had anything to complain about, she loved her foster family in Baltimore and all her fri...
9.1K 294 51
What does she have that I don't? Alex tried to talk to me, but I ignored him and walked off. "Good luck man, when she's pissed, she doesn't stop bei...
191K 4.5K 32
This is cliche because I fancy my brother's best friend Jack Barakat and it so happens that he's single, hot but I can't go out with him because of m...