Discoveries

By BDKursk

[warning: the following may be triggering to some people. Proceed with caution] --------- Book 1 in the Redem... More

-Prologue: Welcome to Boston-
-Chapters 1: Zeke-
-Chapter 2: Kristina-
-Chapter 3: Jessica-
-Chapter 4: Cassandra-
-Chapter 5: First Impressions-
-Chapter 6: New Year, New Fears-
-Chapter 7: Not a Care-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Chapter 8: What the Clock Read-
-Chapter 10: Swingsets-
Chapter 11: Villains
-Chapter 12: Demons-***
-Chapter 13: Geeks, Freaks and Outcasts-
-Chapter 14: Tough Decisions-
-Chapter 15: Somewhere Under the Rainbow*-
-Chapter 16: Strike a Match-
-Chapter 17: Dreams of a Far Off Place-
-Chapter 18: A Castle on a Hill-
-Chapter 19: Untold Stories-
-Chapter 20: Tis Not a Lie-
-Chapter 21: One's Place in the World-
-Chapter 22: Your Story-
-Chapter 23: The Voices-
-Chapter 24: In These Empty Halls-
-Chapter 25: Heart Upon Her Sleeve-
-Chapter 26: Confidence-
-Chapter 27: Window of Opportunity-
-Chapter 28: The Bigger Picture-
-Chapter 29: Outrunning Karma-
-Chapter 30: A Rock and A Hard Place-
-Chapter 31: Problems and Solutions-
/\/\/\/\/
-Chapter 32: The Words I Say-
-Chapter 34: Somebody to You*-
-Chapter 41: A Favor Returned-
-Chapter 42: An Offer Taken-
-Chapter 43: Just Stay Away-
-Chapter 44: The Alabi-
-Chapter 45: Understanding-
-Chapter 46: A Special Question-
-Chapter 47: Dancing in The Dark-
_/\_/\_/\_
Chapter 48: Maybe We Could
-Chapter 49: Later On-
-Chapter 50: Good Luck and Goodbye-
-Epilogue: Guardian From Above-
The End

-Chapter 9: A Troublemakers Troubles-

31 5 1
By BDKursk

-Kris-

"Don't...call me that," I said with malice in my voice.

"What? Don't like your nickname?" Jessie joked.

"No," I snapped. "I don't. Please stop."

"Jess, now's not the time," I stepped in.

"What?" Jessie asked, confused. "I was just having some fun."

"Well, I don't think Red is the one to have fun with," I suggested.

"That's what she said," Jessie giggled.

"Oh, for fuck's sake," Zeke facepalmed. I saw a small smile crack for a moment.

I looked at my watch.

"Oh, fuck, we gotta go!" I shouted before grabbing onto Zeke's arm and pulling him along.

Reluctantly, he let me, and Jess followed behind, poking jokes at him all the way.

——————

"Lighten up, hotshot," Jess snickered.

Zeke said nothing and walked into the school building. I was starting to worry about him. His mood hadn't changed since he moved here.

"What's the matter, Krissy?" Jess asked. "You have worry all over your face."

"I-I think you should lay off the jokes for a bit," I said. I felt my heart speed up a bit. "At least with Zeke."

"Why?" She raised her eyebrow. "Don't tell me they actually get to him."

I looked away from her.

"Just watch what you say," I said before turning to follow Zeke's path.

Just then, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Kris, wait," Jessie said.

I turned to face her.

"I'm sorry if I hurt him," she said sincerely. "I know he's had a tough couple of months ever since his friend died, along with you. I'll try to tone it down."

I smiled and gave her a big hug. "Thanks, Jessie."

Just then, the bell rang, and into the school, we went.

------------
-Cassie-

-A113-

I read the room number on the wall. This is where I needed to be. God, I hope nobody talks to me.

"Why, good morning!" the way too enthusiastic teacher said to me the moment my footsteps through the door. "Ms. Cassandra Rose Fletcher, I presume?"

I shuddered at the sound of my full name. I hate it. The sound of it makes me gag. It reminds me of things I'm not so proud of. Slowly, I turned to her and nodded before walking to the back of the room and sitting at the desk closest to the door. I put my head down and silently waited for the day to start.

After a few minutes of nothing but quiet, I heard the classroom door open and close. I looked up to see that Zeke boy from earlier.

"Good morning, Mr. Ezekiel Slater," the teacher beamed.

Oh shit. Of all classes, why did he have to be in mine?

I heard him scoff and walk my way. He seemed not to notice me until he was standing in front of the desk I was at. He looked down, rolled his eyes, and sat at the desk next to me, pulling out a notebook that seemed too pink for something a guy would own.

"For one, don't ever call me Ezekiel," he said, turning a page. I guess he caught me staring. "And second, is there something you need?"

He sounded annoyed, so I shook my head and looked away.

"You're not bothering me if that's what you're thinking," he said, still reading whatever was in that notebook. "That was a legit question."

I shook my head again, avoiding eye contact.

He shrugged and turned another page.

I put my head down just as the bell  rang, signaling the start of class.

---------------

"Cassandra!" I heard the teacher yell.

I looked up towards her.

"Sleeping is NOT permitted in my classroom! See me after school for detention," the teacher ordered.

What happened to the bubbly teacher that greeted me? And what?! I wasn't even sleeping! The class couldn't have been in session for more than five minutes.

"That's bull," I heard a voice say.

"What was that, Slater?" the teacher asked.

"How come she gets detention for sleeping when so many others get away with nothing?" he asked.

"Don't get smart with me, young man!" the teacher snapped.

Zeke shrugged.

Afterward, the teacher went back to teaching us about whatever she taught.

I saw Zeke shrug before looking over at Kristina.

"Red, don't you dare," I heard her whisper-yell.

Then Zeke pushed everything off his desk and onto the floor without warning.

"That's it!" the teacher yelled. "Mr. Slater, see me after school for detention."

"Gladly," he said coldly. He looked back at me with a look I couldn't figure out.

"Way to be a hero, Red," I heard Kris mutter.

"I'm anything but a hero," Zeke scoffed.

"Y-you didn't have to do that," I said in a whisper.

He turned in his seat to look at me. I felt myself flinch.

"This teacher is notorious for having favorites," Zeke said.

"I-I thought you were new this year," I remarked.

"Yeah, but Kris isn't," he shrugged.

"Is there something you want to tell the class, Mr. Slater?" the teacher snapped.

"Nope," he said sarcastically.

"Then be quiet," the teacher barked.

And that's literally what Zeke did. He said and did nothing all period, up until the bell rang, to the teacher's dismay.

———————————

-Kris-

"Well, that's one way to start a new school year," Jess said. "How do you get detention in the first week?"

Zeke shrugged. He seemed agitated.

He got so quiet after the teacher told him off.

Jess laughed. "Did his 'famous' scowl make an appearance?"

Without warning, Zeke threw his tray onto the ground and walked away, his hands balled into a fist.

"Well, shit, what'd I do?" she said, caught off guard.

I stood up to go after him. "Nothing. I'm going to throw my trash out. I'll be right back."

Jess got up as well.

"Was it something I said?" she asked worriedly.

"N-no," I replied. "He's just...on edge? You should stay here, though."

"I swear, Kris. There's some sort of bond between you two that I don't understand," Jess remarked.

I sighed. Was I really going to tell her this?

"Remember my online friend I told you about? Celestia?" I asked. "The one who died?"

"Yeah. What about her?" Jess asked, confused.

I thought about whether I should go on. All Jess knew was that Celeste died but didn't know why or how. I decided to tell her.

"She was Zeke's best friend, and he was there when she died," I explained. "He saw her die."

"Is that why he's so cold and gloomy all the time?" Jess said with shock. Her eyes were wide.

I nodded. "That's why he barely has the motivation to do anything, and I have to drag him into doing stuff. I-it's not really my story to tell, though. Please don't say anything!" I begged her.

"I-I won 't," Jess said. "I'll watch my jokes also."

"Thanks," I said simply, before running to find Zeke.

———————

It didn't take long before I found him sitting by our next class with his eyes closed. For once, he looked like his mind was at ease.

"You okay, Red?" I asked, sitting down beside him.

He shrugged and said nothing.

I rested my head on his shoulder in an attempt to calm him down.

"You know I'm here for you, right?" I whispered.

He nodded.

"I just want to go home," Zeke said softly.

"I know," I said softly.

My heart broke for him. He tries so hard to put up a facade that continues to shatter around him.

———————

-Zeke-

I walked into the detention room to find nobody but Cassie, who was sitting as far back as she could, and the teacher who was standing at the front of the room, staring me down. I went and sat at the desk next to Cassie, just to piss the teacher off more.

"In this room, you will not talk. You will not move from the seat you are in, and you are to do work only for the amount of time you have been given," the teacher barked. "Do you understand?"

"Sure, let's go with that," I said sarcastically.

I guess the teacher didn't like that, so she came up and got in my face.

"Do we have a problem, Mr. Slater?" she hissed.

"We're gonna have a problem if you don't move," I barked back.

The teacher scoffed at me and sat back at her desk.

I reached into my bag and pulled out a sketchbook and began to doodle. It's just something I do when I'm bored, and after a few minutes, I finished my drawing, an ocean liner. I noticed that Cassie was eyeing my paper out of the corner of my eye. I guess that she, like me, is bored. To this day, I don't know why I did what I did, but I ripped out the page and slid it over to her.

She turned away like she knew she got caught staring.

"It's fine. You can have it," I whispered.

She shook her head and pushed it back.

I shrugged and started another drawing.

————————

"You may leave now," the teacher said.

I stood up and nudged Cassie, who had fallen asleep.

I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder and picked up my first drawing, folded it, and gave it to the girl at the desk beside me. Once again, she tried to give it back, but I walked away before she could get a word out.

————

I took a long way home today. I don't feel like talking to my sister, or anyone for that matter. As I stood in front of my house, I contemplated going through the front door or climbing through my window. I reluctantly chose the front door because I'm lazy.

"Why were you out so late?" I heard the one voice I didn't want to hear—my sister's.

"I was studying with Kris," I replied without looking at her. "I'm going to bed."

"Oh, ok then," she said, her voice sounding hurt.

As I walked down the hall towards my room, I heard my phone buzz a couple of times.

—————
Kris

K: keep ur window open; im coming to get you

Z: why

K: we are going to a party!

Z: we?

K: yes, asshole
K: we
K: get ready

Z: no

K: yes, the fuck you are

Z: I can't change  your mind, can I?

K: nope!

Z: fine. ill be waiting

K: that's what I thought
—————

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Smile By Noémie

Teen Fiction

437 31 23
Once upon a time... That's how all the fairytales begin, right? There's a girl who's mistreated and misunderstood. She meets a guy--probably the most...
221 2 7
** Trigger Warning ** • Disclaimer: All messages & names have been changed & adapted. This is a novel based on creating awareness for bullying and m...
2.2K 102 35
* TRIGGER WARNING* there may or may not be parts of this book that people may find upsetting. It talks about mental illness. Also it talks about rel...
2.2K 74 25
Rory never intended on making any close friends in his last year of highschool , it was supposed to be like any of his previous years but when he end...