Born of Death (Editing)

By JalissaPastorius

|COMPLETED| A young woman will plunge into a world of death and intrigue. There she must navigate the dark co... More

1: Welcome to the Abyss pt I
2. Welcome to the Abyss pt II
3. Who's Afraid of the Dark pt I
4. Who's Afraid of the Dark pt II
5. Pretend Date
6. Lurking Shadows
7. Dreams of Death
8. Absence of Light
9. Gateways of Death and the New Guy
10. Mirrors and Monsters
11. Phantoms and Mysterious Noise
12. Death's Ruling
14. Magic 101
15. Binding Chains
16. Memoirs of the End
Chapter 17: The Death of Me
Chapter 18: Return of the King
Chapter 19: Whispers of Death and Moonlight Sonata
Chapter 20. The Evil in You
Chapter 21. Destruction of Bonds of Love
Prelude
22. Destroying Guardians
23. Shrouded in Darkness
24. The Ball and the Creepy Queen
25. The Death Dance
26. Thrust into Darkness
27. Mirror Mirror on the Wall
28. My Beautiful Nightmare
29. Meet Me on the Otherside
30. Love After Death
31. Trickery of Light
32. The Light is my Enemy
33. Darklings in the Seedbed
34. Bleed for Me
35. Scream
36. Revelation
37. Bright and Mysterious Light
38. The Welkin
39. A Fool's Game
40. Into the Night
41. Shatter
42. A Familiar Face
44. Brothers.
EPILOGUE

13. Darklings

201 7 0
By JalissaPastorius

Whispers in my ear

Of untold fear

May I be so bold

Unlock the tower

Free the power

Within

Entering from the main entrance, she gaped at the rolls of massive expresso color wood tables and their benches arranged neatly. Against the northern wall she spotted a long table nestled between a podium and wall while silver elegant dishes decorated it.

Her eyes leapt to the massive stained glass windows, depicting creatures in crucial moments of history glowing from behind curtains the color of night. The floors were covered in a white marble with specks that gleamed like stardust. Thick columns lined the main entrance archway and she stared at the carvings of fae engraved above the archways.

This place was amazing! Creepy, but cool.

Her stomach gurgled. Adjusting her cap to hide her eyes, she shuffled over to the line where gourmet food lined the quartz countertops on silvers platters. This place had all the bells and whistles. And why not? It made sense considering the grandeur of her own room.

Grabbing a tray, she reminded herself not to gawk at the darklings in their natural forms. But it became exceedingly difficult when the top of her head only reached the creature in front of her midsection. His rich midnight blue skin shimmered under the lights. Her fingers twitched at the thought of running her hands across his flesh. It was purely platonic.

She bit her lip and jumped as he turned towards her. As if he could sense her thoughts. Her lungs froze.

"Hi," she squeaked before staring intently at the gourmet food lining the counters. Was he still staring? A sighed escaped her lips as she deflated like a popped balloon. Sheesh, that was close.

Placing the black tray on the counter, she slid it down filling it with various dishes. Her eyes sparked at the colorful palettes and delicious smells filling the air.

Nerves piled in her belly at the thought of sitting alone. Grabbing her tray, her eyes shifted around looking for a spot to sit. Chatter hummed in her ears, as she ambled through the crowds searching for a spot. Yes! She spotted a girl that looked around her age sitting at a table by herself. Maybe they could be friends!

She edged closer her eyes colliding with the girl. Whoa, they were a rich shade of red, a dark red. Chills erupted along Rosalinda's skin. They reminded her of blood, by the gallons of it. She spotted black lines at the corner of each eye. Hmm, interesting. While she gawked she failed to notice the background noise fading away into nothingness as she approached the table where the lone girl sat.

Why the sudden increase of interest where she was sitting now? She clenched her tray in her hands slightly jostling the dishes as she hurried over to loner girl. Setting her tray down, she dropped down onto the wooden bench. Her greys clashed with her red ones and a feeling of nostalgia slammed into her.

Who was this girl? Her eyes trailed along her form, noting the simple black top, and hello kitty design on her nails. Rosalinda reached for her steam riced and paused spotting the millions of razor sharp teeth in the girl's mouth as she smiled. Her flesh prickled and she swallowed her fear. She'd admit she was a bit surprise and still adjusting. This chick resembled a shark by the mouth. Suddenly, she wasn't so sure about sitting here with her. What if the other students had a reason why they stayed away from her? She imagined her ripping into the flesh of those who'd opposed her and basking in their fear.

Rosalinda certainly didn't want to be one of those people.  Then she realized that she would be playing right into the stereotypical student hierarchy if she did turn my back on her. Besides, they weren't so different after all. Especially when she recalled her own set fangs that grew when she was hungry for those glowing tendrils things. Suddenly, the teeth didn't sound so bad.

"The name is Abigor, but you can call me Gora for short," said she said biting into some kind of breakfast burger.

"I'm Rosalinda, I really don't have a cool nickname to go by," she said fascinating by her mouth. How did she form words? Had she ever accidently bitten herself? Did she kiss guys? How would they kiss?

"Hmm, I will have to think of something then," she said licking her fingers. Geez, the girl ate like a race horse. And she thought she was bad at gobbling her food. "It's obvious you're the new kid, not that I'm complaining or anything. Why did you choose to sit over here?"

"It's not like I make friends easily, and plus you were sitting alone, why crowd myself around other people. It's probably weird. But this somehow feels nostalgic," she added, waiting for the rejection to come as it usually did.

"Of course were friends!" she said smiling. "Good thing too, because you're the first friend I've made in this place. Now where is your dorm?"

"On the fourth floor," she added grabbing her tray and returning it to the counter. Relief flooded her veins as everyone returned to their conversations although there were still a few curious glances at them. Giddiness nearly burst from her lips. She had her first friend! And there was no evil sister to chance them away!

"The fourth floor! Girl, Nobody's been up there in ages. You must be a very special student."

"That's funny seeing how I don't even know what I am. You want to come up?"

"Um yeah! I thought you would never ask," she said grabbing her by the wrist and pulling her along.

"This school is massive," Rosalinda said as her feet squeaked along the marble floors. Her eyes strayed to the depictions of hell hanging on the walls. "Um that's not foreboding at all," she said pausing to stare at a red horn man with massive bat like wings exploding from his back as fire and demons ran amuck.

"Eh. My dad says the red man is an idiot."

"Wait, you mean hell is real?"

"Yes. Thousands of realms exist outside of this one. The mortals total screwed one thing up."

"And what's that?" she said breathlessly totally stunned by the news.

"There's only one death god. Not even a god. But an entity."

Wah?! Wait no. She didn't want to talk about death. She wanted nothing to do with it.

"All of this talk is creeping me out." She added running her hands along her arms.

"Why?"

"Umm, nothing." She said recalling Cyriac's warning not to reveal her being discovered in the human realm.

"Fine."

Rosalinda smiled as they reached the entrance to the fourth floor. Her brows furrowed at the sculpture of a bat like woman blocking the entrance. This thing wasn't here when she left.

"Give it the password." Gora said.

"But I don't know the password. I only got a keycard to the room."

"Are you serious? Well, give it a little blood," she said shrugging her shoulders.

Rosalinda bit her finger and squeezed a small drop onto the statues hand, avoiding the wicked looking sword at her back. She stared in utter shock as the stone like material cracked before falling away, and revealing rich maroon colored skin and glowing green eyes.

"My queen." The creature said reverently bowing and stepping aside to let them pass. Rosalinda's head swam, she was no one's queen.

"That was interesting." Gora muttered following closely behind.

She unlocked her door with a loud clicked and opened the door slowly as Gora peeked anxiously over shoulder. She whistled loudly her eyes darting around the space.

"Who are you?" Gora asked critically studied her. "Are you linked to royalty?" She said sinking into the plush black leather sofa.

Hmm, exactly how much she wasn't to say? Ignoring Cyriac's warning she told Gora just a little about herself.

"Not really, I'm come from a human family. Well, at least I thought I was one, before I found out vampires existed," she said moving towards the sleek modern kitchenette to make coffee. Score! This place had a blender. Ice coffee here she come.

"Wow, I never heard of something like that," Gora said bringing her internal thoughts to a screeching halt. Handing her a glass of ice coffee, she yanked her hoodie over her head and tossed it onto the couch before grabbing her drink and plopping down next to Gora. She folded her legs up under her before taking a long drink.

"Wow, girl you are smoking hot!" Gora ranted and raved. Gesturing at her.

She hunched over as her cheeks warmed hinting at her embarrassment.

"Look at those boobs!"

"Um, thanks." She said smiling softly. She was already so body conscious because of her sister.

"Are you a virgin? Do you have a destine? Some species don't mate in that manner," Gora said her red eyes studying her carefully.

Honestly, the thought of losing her virginity had never occurred to her. Sure, she shared some kisses with Cyriac, but they were still getting to know each other. And besides, her mind was focused on other things, like living in a realm where the creatures of nightmares roamed around freely like teenagers. "I never gave it a thought," she said shrugging.

"Do you even have a boyfriend?"

"Yes! But you have to promised not to say anything," she said over her embarrassment. She didn't understand or know why, but she felt like she could tell this girl anything.

"You got it. Now tell me before I bite you," Gora squealed.

"Okay. He has these gorgeous sea-green eyes. I've never seen such a luminescent glowing green before. He's about six foot five, and has a body to die for. He makes me feel so feminine you know. Especially since I'm tall. He likes my weird features. My large grey eyes, full lips, etc. He makes me feel so important and cared for. He'll kill anybody for me," she gushed. Her thoughts raced recalling his rage at the thought of harm coming to her. She could taste his fury as he spotted the little gifts her father left her.

"Wow, is he a human?" Gora asked picking up a decorative pillow and hugging it to her chest.

"Nope, but remember you promised." Rosalinda added. Surely, she could share his name. She wouldn't say anything about him being a vampire. "His name is Cyriac."

"Hold up, you mean the freaking King?! Our supreme ruler? Our overlord?" Gora gasped aloud standing in shock while staring at Rosalinda in total and utter disbelief as her dark locks danced around her shoulders.

"Yeah," she said guiltily. Who knew Cyriac's name was that unique. She never heard it in the mortal realm, but she figured it could be a popular darkling name. Cyriac was going to be so disappointed. Why did she have to blab?

"Wow," she said running her hands through her hair. "There's nothing plain about you." Not with being placed on the fourth floor." She said depositing her glass on the counter. "Don't you know he's ruthless? He's a great King. He's not just a vampire king. The Ashura marked him as the Overlord to rule all darklings. His father lost his right when the mark disappeared. But you! You're his destine!" she said gripping the strands of her hair as her eyes locked onto Rosalinda. "You're not even normal not even by supernatural standards."

"Wow, calm down. What's this destine stuff that you're talking about?"

"Look sweetie, our King doesn't engage with any supernatural."

Rosalinda rose from the couch, walking to the kitchenette to place her glass in the sink, she mulled Gora's words over. Feelings of completeness engulfed her whenever she was around him, and her mind shied away from time she spent apart from him. "Is that what these feelings are? Like I can't exist without him." She mumbled quietly staring into the sink drain. "But he's keeping his distance." She added despondently. 

"What you describe is the mate calling. The feelings of completeness you get whenever you are around each other. Love doesn't begin to describe the emotion you feel for him. Is this why he's keeping his distance?" she asked curiously.

"Not really, I disappointed him. I was having a hard time adjusting. He said I'm in denial and won't accept what I am," she told her dejectedly as she leant against the sink wishing Cyriac was here with her.

"What exactly are you?"

"I don't know."

"Well, that's what I'm here for. I'll protect you and help you figure this out. After all, we only got each other." She had no idea how right she was.

"Keep your relationship with the King under wraps. This is still un-freakin-believable. I'm talking to the future Queen," she mumbled to herself before leaving her to her thoughts.

A/N:

Sorry for the late upload. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Please vote! See you in the next chapter. Things are definitely starting to get interesting. Later! XOXOXOXO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.4K 3.3K 64
Welcome to the future, where humans no longer exist - or so the monsters want you to believe. Dawn, one of the last of her kind, is tasked every mont...
113 14 8
Ainsley Roarah always thought her life was normal and boring until one night a stranger breaks in and saves her before her home is blown up. Her savi...
2.7M 76K 21
"When I look into your eyes, I know where you've been, I know what you saw that night in the forest. I know what you are now." Scholars rule the empi...
2.2K 213 27
Kali has always been obedient, but when she takes her first step onto a protected “humans only” high school in suburban Pittsburgh, she knows she was...