We're The Back Pocket Believe...

By keep_the_secret

Hazel Reede was average. Actually, she was a little below that. She is fifteen when her family dies and leave... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 31

9K 228 207
By keep_the_secret

Ms Lawrence knocked on my bedroom door gently .

“Hazel” She called , “You've got a visitor .”

I frowned ; no one was allowed to come and see me , Judge's orders .

“Who is it ?” I asked , opening my door curiously . She shrugged .

“In the living room” She said , not bothering to answer my question .

On the sofa sat a figure , bent over . Their head was covered with … a beanie ?

“Alex” I smiled , running to him .

“Hey Halo” Alex said , standing up .

“What are you doing here ?” I asked , “The judge said ...”

He waved his hand . “Who gives a crap .”

Alex smiled , making me forget all my worries .

“That speech in court yesterday ?” He said , “It needed some rewarding , I mean , it was awesome .”

He tapped the sofa , “Come , sit .”

Alex took off his scarf , and wrapped it around my eyes .

“So , we got you some stuff” He said , “It was actually for when we win the trial , but we figured we might give it to you earlier .”

I felt in my hands a plastic case . I rolled it around on my fingers , trying to guess what it was .

“A CD ?” I said after a second .

“Not just any CD .”

Alex fumbled around at the back of my head , before the scarf fell onto my lap . A clear CD case sat in my hands , the disc blank .

Your CD .”

I looked at him . “You mean -”

Alex nodded . “Yep . The song that you , Nikki and Pommie wrote .”

“No way !” I laughed . “This is amazing !”

He nodded . “Yeah , it sounds epic , despite the rushed recording and mixing and stuff . It's from Nikki and Pommie , by the way .”

“Best present ever” I grinned , but he stopped me .

“I wouldn't say that too quickly .”

Alex blindfolded me again , before placing another object in my hands . I felt it .

“That's from Jack .”

I frowned . “A … box ?”

He chuckled , and untied the scarf .

It was a jewellery box , the kind shops give you to hold your earrings in . I took the lid off cautiously , and smiled when I saw what was inside .

“It's pretty” I said , stroking the stone bird . It was white and shiny , small enough to fit in the paln of my hand .

“It's a turtle dove” Alex said , “Ever seen Home Alone 2 ?”

I shook my head , and he gasped . “Jack would slaughter you” He said , “But anyway , in the movie Kevin gets two turtle doves from Mr Duncan , and on Christmas morning he gives one to the lady he met at the park . “

“Why ?”

“That's what Mr Duncan told him to do . He said to keep one and give the other to a very special person . Because turtle doves are a symbol of friendship , and as long as you each have your turtle dove , you'll be friends forever . I can't believe I know all of that off by heart . Dammit , Jack .”

“Oh” I said , looking at the little bird more closely now . “Oh .

Alex nodded . “Jack has his moments , doesn't he ?”

I could feel the tears welling up , so I put it back in it's box .

The next present kept up the cuboid pattern .

“Any ideas ?” Alex asked , and I shook my head .

“Who's it from ?”

“Zack” Alex said , taking the blindfold off .

I gasped , staring down at the photo .

“I know , right ?” Alex said softly .

“Wow ...”

Behind the glass slept a photo that I recognized – Zack had taken it on the bus , when Alex was teaching me Jasey Rae . The guitar bridge in the middle . Alex was leaning around me , positioning my fingers across the fretboard . We looked … happy .

“It's perfect” I breathed , “I knew Zack liked photography , I never knew he was good .”

“Next up – Rian” Alex said , knotting the scarf around my head .

I felt the object carefully . “It feels kinda like Jack's present . You know …a box .”

Alex laughed , and took the blindfold off again .

“And I was right” I laughed , “It is a box .”

I opened it , and my eyed instantly widened . “Woah . It's ...”

“I know” Alex said softly , “For a dude , Rian has a great taste in necklaces .”

I let the silver chain spill over the edge of my hand while I examined the cross that was attached to it . It was slim silver pieces that looked like they had been woven together . There was a big square in the middle , and four blocks that led off of that . Definitely a cross , but not a normal one .

“Rian said it's called a St Brigid's cross . He said to Google it , and something about lightning .”

“Well , it's beautiful” I told him . “And I love it .”

“Only one present left” Alex said , not bothering to blindfold me this time . Then he frowned . “Well , three .”

He reached into his pocket and handed me a card . “That's from the crew .”

I laughed . “I'm guessing Matt bought the card ?” I said , gesturing to the dancing Mickey Mouse , and he nodded .

“I wasn't there when he was buying it , so you can't blame me .”

I read the message and smiled . “That's sweet of them” I said .

“And this is from everyone behind the Second Chance programme” Alex continued , handing me a blank disc .

“That's all the footage they shot since the very first interviews . Uncut . The documentary that will never be aired .”

“And now” Alex said , “I've been saving the best for last . Here .”

From behind the sofa , he picked up a guitar case . One of the expensive leather ones .

“Wow” I breathed , “But Alex , I don't have a guitar .”

He rolled his eyes . “Open the case , idiot .”

And there it was . It was Steven's guitar , definitely , but … better . You couldn't tell that it had once been in pieces . It was glossy and polished , every string sparkling .

“How ...”

“Halo , I play guitar for a living . I know people .”

“Alex ...” I stroked the instrument , “It's amazing ...”

“Well ?” Alex said expectantly .

I looked at him , confused . “What ?”

“Are you going to play it or what ?”

“Oh . Oh , yeah , of course .”

I slid the guitar out of it's case and rested it on my lap , positioning my hands over the instrument .

“Wait” I said , frowning , “I don't have a pick .”

Alex rolled his eyes and reached into his pocket . “Here “ He said , handing me a small triangle of plastic .

“All Time Blow” I read out , smirking . “Alexander William . Really , Alex ?”

He rolled his eyes . “Just play .”

The illegal visit from Alex had lightened my spirits considerably , and when he left I felt much happier . The temporary room in the foster home looked much more mine now with all these things in it . I put the CD – with my song on it – on replay while I searched the internet like Rian had told me to .

St Brigid's cross“ I typed , then remembered what else Alex had mentioned . “Lightning .”

It was on the second website I found that said it ; St Brigid's crosses are traditionally hung in barns to protect from fire … and lightning .

Instantly , I remembered the conversation Rian and I had shared on top of the hill .

I thought lightning doesn't strike twice” … “We'll protect you from the lightning , I promise”

I smiled , and clasped the necklace around my neck . And I remembered how lucky I was to have , well , all of them .

The next morning , I woke up early and got dressed . Everything was packed as , no matter what the Judge decided , I would be leaving today .

It was the last trial . The final decision . But I knew how it was going to go down ; the Judge would admit that Alex was a responsible guardian and he would let me stay with him . How could he not , after all ?

It was the same courtroom as last time , the same set-up , the same people . Alex sat on my right and Mr Sullivan on my left . On the table across from ours , my father and his lawyer sat , looking smug .

“All rise” Judge Burner said , “Court is in session .”

But it wasn't a long trial – in fact it took less than twenty minutes .

“This was a hard case” The judge began , “Both Mr Reede and Mr Gaskarth obviously care very much about the child , as well as both being entitled to custody . But both have been clear about not wanting shared custody , so I've had to make a black and white decision . Of course , these trials have been everything but black and white .”

“Mr Reede is Hazel's biological father , and although he has not been there since birth he could provide a suitable home for the child . I believe that he could be close to a perfect father .”

“Mr Gaskarth , despite being young , adopted Hazel and since then has provided a good home and all of the necessities for a healthy child . To my knowledge , he has connected to her on many levels and they get on well together .”

“As a judge , it is my job to make sure everything is fair and equal . The root of this case is two men who are arguing over the more suitable home for a child . I must make my decision on who I think would provide the best home .”

The Judge paused , about to make his decision . He was going to say Alex . I knew it . Everyone knew it , it was obvious .

“Wait !” Mr Towson shouted , “Apologies , Your Honour . But we have one more witness .”

Judge Burner frowned , but waved for him to go ahead .

“Please state your name .”

“Angela Lawrence .”

I stared up at my foster mother – what the hell was she here for ? What did she know about who would be a better father ?

“Ms Lawrence , Hazel has been in your care for the past few days , correct ?”

She nodded . “Yes , that's true .”

“So when she hasn't been in court , her time has been spent with you ?”

“Yes .”

“And tell me , where were you and Hazel last night ?”

“At home .”

“And apart from the other foster children , who else was there with you and Hazel ?”

“Alex . Gaskarth .”

I swear my hear stopped beating . My lungs stopped breathing . Suddenly , I felt lost .

Mr Towson turned to Judge Burner .

“Your Honour , did you not make it clear that Hazel was to have no contact with either Richard or Alex outside these courtrooms .”

He nodded . “I did .”

“A man who cannot obey a judge's orders – of all people – can hardly be capable of looking after a child .”

The judge nodded . “Take a seat Mr Towson , Ms Lawrence .”

Judge Burner took a deep breath before telling us all his decision .

“Originally , I thought that Mr Gaskarth would make a suitable guardian . Despite Mr Reede being Hazel's blood father , I believed that Alex connected with her better . But this information does shed higher light on this situation … I cannot award custody to someone who can't control himself for a few weeks .Therefore , I award full custody to Richard Reede .”

A/N - Typical Jack , giving her something to do with Home Alone ... So guys , what do you think ? Only one part left now ! As always vote , fan and comment , because you people are awesome !

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 2.5K 27
Alice Barakat, Jack Barakat's "little" sister by an hour, moves back in with Jack and her mom when she finds out that her dad is remarrying...
65.7K 2.7K 65
Ameliorate: To make (something unsatisfactory)better. Adelpha Omorfiá Orfanó is a normal fourteen year old girl, but only in her own opinion. She'...
11.9K 375 31
Alex Gaskarth was engaged to a girl named Skylar whom he loved very much. They were expecting their first kid together and they couldn't be happier...
509 26 34
When Alex visits a sick patient in the hospital for charity,he comes across a beautiful,shy,quiet girl. She'll try to make a huge mistake. But, when...