We're The Back Pocket Believe...

By keep_the_secret

Hazel Reede was average. Actually, she was a little below that. She is fifteen when her family dies and leave... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 28

9.2K 250 120
By keep_the_secret

Mr Sullivan said that , despite me having to move out , the opening statements had gone very well .

“The fact that the judge wants us to use one of the bigger courtrooms is a good sign” He said enthusiastically , “It means he wants space to bring in as much witnesses as possible , to hear as much points of view as possible , to help him with his decision . Which means that he hasn't got a clue what to do and we're all on equal ground !”

A cheer went around Alex and Rian's living room at this , but despite that everyone was thinking the same thing .

Equal isn't winning .

Alex and I sat on the smallest sofa , squashed up together , not that either of us minded . It seemed to be unwritten rule between both of us that during this night , which could possibly be the last night I would ever spend in this house , we would always be close to each other , and if possible , touching . Right now our knees were bumping off each other , and our sides pressed against the other's two . It was comforting , feeling Alex's body against mine .

When Vinny and Nikki arrived with Chinese food everyone dived in pretty quickly . We were using anything as a distraction from the fact that I wouldn't be here tomorrow – so food fit the bill pretty neatly .

“Boiled or fried rice , Hazel ?” Rian offered .

I shrugged . “Give me a little of both .”

He chuckled . “Rebel .”

I laughed . “I can't help it if I'm a natural born daredevil .”

Jack , being Jack , started a chicken ball fight .

“I'm coming for you , Vinny !”

“Not if I get you first !”

“How about I just do this ?” Sam suggested , before grabbing two handfuls of prawn crackers and chucking the food at both of them .

Needless to say , that ground floor got messed up pretty quickly . Once it got past eleven Alex and Rian kicked everyone out , claiming that Pommie and I needed our sleep .

“Alright , alright , we're going” Jack said , as he and Sam got into his car .

“I never did ask how exactly Jack got his licence” I told Alex as they drove off . He laughed .

“He slept with the driving instructor .”

I laughed . “God , I love Jack .”

Alex smiled . “Seriously though , Jack isn't as bad a driver as everyone seems to think .”

“Yeah , it's Alex who gets all the road rage”Rian teased . Alex rolled his eyes .

“Halo , Pommie , you might want to go to bed . This could get ugly .”

I couldn't sleep , no matter how I turned my head or where I bent my legs . My eyes stayed persistantly open , my mind buzzing . I thought about Richard , my birth father , and Alex , my new one . I thought about how amazing just these months with Alex had been , and how I was grateful to have spent time with him at all .

I remembered when Cait , my old foster mother had told us which band was coming to look at us . I went to my room and looked at Steven's old CD's , So Wrong It's Right being one of them . I remembered the photo of the band ; all in their underwear . I smiled , getting slowly sleepier . Oh , Alex .

I woke up to Pommie shaking me gently .

“Hazel , Hazel” She whispered urgently .

I grunted . “What is it ?” I asked groggily .

“The lady downstairs … she's come to take you away .”

Suddenly I was wide awake . “Thanks Pommie” I said , and didn't bother even brushing my hair . I raced downstairs , and skidded to a halt in the hallway . Alex stood with the woman , arguing with her .

“Just come back in a few hours” He pleaded , “Halo – I mean , Hazel , isn't even awake yet . We haven't packed or anything .”

“I think you'll find that your mistaken on that aspect” The woman said gesturing to me . Alex spun around .

“Halo , I didn't think you were awake” He said , before raising his eyebrows and beginning to smile . “Nice shirt .”

I looked down and blushed , folding my arms over the A.W.G. Logo . “Shut up , okay ? Vinny gave it to me for working at the merch stand one night .”

Alex nodded . “Yeah , it's not like you asked for that one in particular or anything ...”

I rolled my eyes .

“Um , excuse me ?” The lady at the door said , “Not to interrupt or anything , but I'm on a schedule and we've got to leave soon ...”

“Sure , just let me pack my stuff , okay ?” I said , trying to be as pleasant as possible . She nodded , satisfied .

“Would you like some tea or something , Ma'am ?” Rian offered politely from behind us , and she smiled .

“That would be lovely” She said , and Rian led her to the kitchen .

Alex followed me to my room , and we began raiding the closets and packing away my clothes .

“You don't have to be brave , you know” Alex said softly , “If you need to cry , then just let it out . It's okay .”

“No , Alex” I replied , “I can't be weak , you heard what Mr Sullivan said last night .”

“Yeah , he said that we're on equal ground .”

“Exactly . As in we're not winning .”

Alex frowned . “Well , we're not losing either .”

“That doesn't mean that they're losing ! But the point is , if we want to fight we have to stay tough .”

You don't have to be tough” Alex argued .

“Well , this whole thing is about me , isn't it ?” I replied .

“Yeah , but -”

“Alex , it's not really that important “ I dismissed .

“No , wait” Alex said . “Stop packing . This is the last time I'm going to see you for two days , if we're going to talk about this we need to do it now .”

I sighed . “Fine . Maybe I'm sick of being weak and shit .”

“Halo -”

“No , let me finish . Maybe I'm sick of having no choices .”

“You have choices !”

“Really ? Did I choose for my father to leave ? Did I choose for my mother and brother to die ?”

“No , but -”

“I can't remember the last time I made a decision by myself ! Your not even letting me do it now ! All you say to me about this is that it's going to be okay , and you know you've never once asked what I wanted to do ?”

“Halo -”

I didn't know where all of this angst was suddenly coming from , all I knew was that I was in tears , but kept yelling at Alex all the same .

“You chose to be adopted !” Alex yelled in return .

“You never even bothered telling me why you adopted me !” I screamed , “Why you chose me ! I asked you , but you – you just -”

“Just what ? Just what , Hazel !” Alex shouted .

I stayed silent , but he didn't .

“I got to make a choice when I adopted you , but I'm starting to think that I made the wrong one ! That I made a mistake – no , that you're a mistake ! Your dad thought so , he left , and guess what , I think so too !”

I couldn't think of anything to say , so I shoved him . Hard . He wasn't expecting it , and toppled over , tripping on a few t-shirts and crashing into a piece of furniture . He cried out , his face scrunching up in pain .

I stood , staring at his crumpled body , afraid to move .

The bedroom door burst open , and the foster mother burst in .

“What on earth is going on in here ? We heard raised voices downstairs -” She cut off when she caught sight of Alex . “Dear God … What happened ?”

Alex winced as he tried to stand up . “Nothing … It doesn't matter” He mumbled between groans .

“Don't be silly Alex , of course you matter” I said harshly .

“Halo , wait !”

But I was already running .

It felt like I'd been there for hours by the time that Rian found me . I sat on the grassy hill , all around me thick with evergreen trees .Only at the peak of this hill was it covered purely with grass and fluffy dandelions . I sat facing the one side that wasn't covered in forest – the side that looked down upon Baltimore . From here , I could just about see our house , but I didn't want to look there and remember the stupid and reckless argument that I had started .

“Hey” Rian said softly , as he crept up behind me . I sighed , and laid back against the soft grass to stare up at the sky .

“I'm an idiot” I confessed . “I'm such a fucking idiot .”

“Yeah , I know” Rian said , sitting down beside me .

“Thanks .”

He chuckled . “I'm kidding . Yeah , Hazel , you acted like an idiot . But that doesn't make you one .”

“You think ?” I said , and he nodded .

“Totally . And as well as that , I think it's good that you and Alex fought . There was obviously some stuff that you needed to get out of your system , and it's good that you did that .”

I frowned . “No , Ri , it's not … It wasn't Alex's fault …. I just took it out on him for no reason and … Please , Ri , is he okay ?”

“Who , Alex ? He's … Well , why don't you come see for yourself ?”

I sighed . “I can't . He probably hates me now .”

Rian laughed . “Jeez , Hazel , I have to say … you're great at blowing things out of proportion . You guys had one little fight . Of course he doesn't hate you .”

I bit my lip . “When we were fighting , he called me Hazel .”

Rian frowned . “So ? That's kinda your name , you know ...”

I rolled my eyes . “Duh . But , that's not it .”

“What is it , then ?”

I sat up and looked Rian in the eyes . “It's that he's never called me Hazel ,not once . I'm always ...”

“Alex's Halo” Rian finished , nodding . “I wouldn't worry about that Hazel . When Alex gets angry he tends to just yell the first thing that comes out of his mouth .”

I nodded slowly . “Yeah , I guess .”

Rian frowned . “What else ?” He asked carefully .

I sighed . “I'm just … mad at myself , because I yelled at Alex when he didn't do anything . I was just angry because ...”

“Because ?” Rian prompted .

I bent my head . “I thought lightening doesn't strike twice .”

Rian was silent for a minute . “You mean about ...”

“My family getting taken away from me again” I finished gloomily . Rian wrapped an arm around me and pulled me into his chest .

“I know Hazel , it sucks .”

“So fucking much” I whispered , feeling like I was about to cry again .

Rian sighed . “But we'll protect you from the lightening , Hazel . I promise .”

I smiled into his shirt .

“Do you want to go see Alex know ?” Rian asked .

“You sure he's not mad ?” I checked , and he shook his head .

“He could never be mad at you . But Jack's pretty pissed that you beefed up his best friend .”

“Wait” I said suddenly , “How did you know I would be here ?”

Rian chuckled . “Simple” He shrugged , “This is where Alex comes when he's stuck for a song .”

I frowned . “And ?”

“And you , Hazel , are exactly like Alex .”

A/N - Two chapters in two days . You guys are so spoiled :P

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29K 1.2K 18
Alex Gaskarth, beloved lead singer of All Time Low, the American Pop Punk band from Baltimore. Jack Barakat, guitarist of the same band, Alex's best...
191K 4.5K 32
This is cliche because I fancy my brother's best friend Jack Barakat and it so happens that he's single, hot but I can't go out with him because of m...
7K 179 10
[ COMPLETED ] Alex Gaskarth, the lead singer for All Time Low. On stage he's loud, excitable and full of energy, but off stage it's completely diffe...
72K 1.6K 42
Rozlynn Gaskarth is the little sister of All Time Low's frontman, Alex Gaskarth. She is also best friends with Dahvie Vanity and Jayy Von Monroe from...