Duty

the_hooded_girl által

If you had to choose between love and duty, what would you do? Vara is a lucky girl. Adopted into the king's... Több

Duty - Dramatis Personae
//
Prologue
Chapter 1 Duty comes first
Chapter 2 Debts of honor
Chapter 3 Peacocks and birds of prey
Chapter 4 Masquerade
Chapter 5 Misery loves company
Chapter 6 Negotiations
Chapter 7 Thick as thieves
Chapter 8 You won't be mine
Chapter 9 House of cards
Chapter 10 As common as they get
Chapter 11 A touch of steel
Chapter 12 Brother in law
Chapter 13 Queen in waiting
Chapter 14 Down to earth
Chapter 15 Heart to heart
Chapter 16 Wedding bells
Chapter 17 Hidden motive
Chapter 18 next best thing
Chapter 19 To have and to hold
Chapter 20 Ophelia
Chapter 21 Everybody cries at weddings
Chapter 22 Illusions
Chapter 23 Parting is such sweet sorrow
Chapter 24 Sons and daughters
Chapter 25 Into the deep
Chapter 26 Nights in the desert
Chapter 27 Trial and error
Chapter 28 Husbands and wives
Chapter 29 Home sweet home
Chapter 30 Private conversations
Chapter 31 First in line
Chapter 32 Impressions
Chapter 33 Casualties of war
Chapter 34 To be a queen
Chapter 35 Between love and duty
Chapter 36 The chosen one
Chapter 37 Betrothed
Chapter 38 A game of charades
Chapter 39 Dark shadows
Chapter 40 The willful child
Chapter 41 King Darius
Chapter 42 Family
Chapter 43 The king's daughter
Chapter 44 A child changes everything
Chapter 46 Life and death
Chapter 47 The truth behind the lie
Chapter 48 Beginnings
Chapter 49 Love and War
Chapter 50 Home sweet home
Chapter 51 Baby steps
Chapter 52 Vipers
Chapter 53 Ardashir
Chapter 54 Growing Pains
Chapter 55 Jasmine
Chapter 56 Shadows of the past
Chapter 57 Time and distance
Chapter 58 Retaliations
Chapter 59 Every waking moment
Chapter 60 Between two fires
Chapter 61 Nightwake
Chapter 62 Eye of the beholder
Chapter 63 Never the same
Chapter 64 The art of the game
Chapter 65 Trust
Chapter 66 A little bird told me
Chapter 67 Informants
Chapter 68 Hunting Grounds
Chapter 69 Birds in flight
Chapter 70 Whispers in the wind
Chapter 71 Closing the net
Chapter 72 Strike back
Chapter 73 Family and other foes
Chapter 74 The one you trust
Chapter 75 The eye of the storm
Chapter 76 War Council
Chapter 77 What comes around
Chapter 78 Side by side
Chapter 79 Brothers in arms
Chapter 80 Casualties of war
Chapter 81 A price to pay
Chapter 82 With or without you
Chapter 83 Until you lose it
Chapter 84 The comfort of home
Chapter 85 The love we take for granted
Chapter 86 For better or for worse
Chapter 87 Peace and quiet
Chapter 88 What's left behind
Chapter 89 Boys will be boys
Chapter 90 New beginnings
Chapter 91 A crown's weight
Chapter 92 Fathers and sons
Chapter 93 Where you belong
Chapter 94 Pretenders
Chapter 95 Long live the king
Chapter 96 The way home

Chapter 45 Boncini

566 48 11
the_hooded_girl által

The Boncini estate was truly lovely and Vara immediately felt at home. She and Iason both had been unsure how to manage the estate. They had been relived to leave it in the capable hands of the king's steward while Vara took care of instructing the household staff and Iason handled the stables and mews as well as the guard.

From day one, Vara had told the staff to not be so formal with her. It had taken them some getting used to, but after a period of a few weeks, everything had been settled in place and they had grown comfortable around each other.

The first guests had arrived too. Ophelia had visited and also Riccardo Prias and his wife Priskilla.

Seeing as how Boncini was located in the hills, close to the border, the estate was also responsible for the nearby regiment that patrolled there. As landlord, Iason had to make regular visits and report back to the king.

Vara smiled as Iason walked through the door. "How did it go?"

Iason shook the rain from his hair and sighed. "I'm still not used to being in command of men. I was always the one following orders and now I have to give them. I'm not even a captain."

"The men aren't complaining," Vara smiled while handing Chloe a stack of linnens to put away. "If anything, they are proud of you."

Iason shook his head bemused and planted a kiss in her hair. "What have you been up to?"

"Making arrangements," Vara answered, "we'll be leaving to visit your family soon. I want to make sure everything is in order here. I was thinking we could visit Valais too. It is nearby and I haven't seen Juliette and Celia in a while."

"Of course," Iason nodded, "I had expected as much."

Vara nervously straightened out her dress.

Iason smiled at her. "Don't worry, they will love you."

"They are your family, Iason," Vara said, "I need to make a good impression."

"Just be you," he told her, "and don't be afraid to tell off my little brother. He's a real charmer."

Vara laughed. "I consider myself warned."

...

"Lord Iolaus."

Iolaus halted his step and turned towards the soldier that was half hidden in the shadows. "Who goes?"

The soldier stepped forward and glanced around cautiously. "May we have a word in private?"

"Vincenzo," Iolaus recognized the man, "what is it? Is there a threat to the prince?"

"No my lord," Vincenzo said, "I wish to speak to you in regards to another matter, regarding you request."

Iolaus frowned in thought for a moment. He wondered what request this soldier was speaking of. "Please be more clear," Iolaus said, "forgive me. I am not sure which request you are referring to."

Vincenzo wetted his lips and nodded. "The request regarding our brother in arms. You asked us to investigate."

Realization hit him and he stepped closer to Vincenzo. "You know who attacked Iason?" It had been months since the incident. No lead had been found as to who had attacked him, but the soldiers hadn't given up the investigation.

Vincenzo nodded seriously. "We do, my lord." He had narrowed his eyes. "Some of the men, they were on leave. They went into town to have a few drinks in the inn. They heard a few men talk, my lord. They were bragging about a sword they acquired a while ago, bearing the royal crest." He paused and looked at Iolaus more intensely. "They spoke of the man that hired them, a young lord, fallen out of favor, willing to pay good coin for revenge. They were told to leave their target alive and make sure he knew who had given the order."

Iolaus narrowed his eyes. "Did they mention a name?"

"No, my lord," Vincenzo said, "but I can think of only one who'd have reason to do this."

Iolaus clenched his fists and nodded. So could he. "The men, he "said, "do you know who they are? Would you recognize them?"

"We would, my lord," Vincenzo nodded, "we made sure to follow them. Just give the word and we'll bring them in."

Iolaus gave a nod. "Go then. I'll notify the king. Make sure to be discrete. We don't want our young lord to get wind of this and flee."

Vincenzo bowed. "Certainly. It will be done according to your wishes."

...

"How fast he grows!" Eurydice smiled tenderly as she traced a finger across the little boy's cheek. His grey eyes focused on is great-grandmother and he let out a gurgling laugh.

Eurydice's face lit up and she turned to smile at Ariane. "Thank you for visiting us, child. Little Lucius brings us so much joy. Especially to my husband. It gives him peace of mind to know the royal line is secured."

Ariane gave a polite nod. "It pleases me to please you," she said. Her expression turned more gentle when she looked at her son. It was so strange. Every time she laid eyes on him, her heart swelled with love. She did not know such a feeling existed. This child had filled a hole in her heart. It eased the pain of knowing her husband still did not love her.

These past few weeks he had grown more distant. He barely acknowledged her unless they were in public, but even then he was merely polite.

How different it was when it came to his son. Loukios was his pride and joy. Already he was making plans for lessons in riding and archery. The boy couldn't even crawl yet.

A hand fell on her head and Ariane looked up into Eurydice's compassionate eyes. "Where is your husband today? Where is that rascal of a grandson of mine?"

Ariane averted her eyes. "He went out riding this morning. A few of the young noblemen invited him. After that I am sure he has duties."

Eurydice smiled sadly. "Don't despair, child. Give him time. Aurelios' men are headstrong and stubborn. One day he'll realize how lucky he is to have you."

"You are most kind," Ariane replied.

"I am right," Eurydice corrected. She patted Ariane's hand and winked at her. "You'll see."

...

Chloe carried the basket with eggs as she carefully shooed a few chickens away. "Be gone you impertinent beasts!" she scolded, "these eggs will feed us. You have more in the pen. They can be hatched! Leave me be."

A chuckle made her look up. Not far from her stood Lykander who worked in the gardens. The young man always had a teasing smile on his face and his eyes danced with joy whenever he encountered her. "Don't be cross with them, Chloe," he teased her, "what do they care about our breakfast?"

Chloe huffed and shifted the basket in her arms. "I'll remind you of that next time they cross your flowerbeds." When she had first arrived her at Boncini, she hadn't been sure how to feel. She knew very well why Vara had chosen to bring her. In part she was grateful, but another part of her felt resentment. And an even bigger part was afraid. In the palace she knew what to expect, from both work and the men that lived there. At Boncini, things were different. Oh, the men still looked at her, Chloe was used to that. A few of the soldiers that made up Boncini's guard came from the palace. They knew who she was and word had spread quickly. But Vara had made it very clear that every member of her household was to be treated with respect. In private, she had told Chloe in a casual way that what she had told the men applied to Chloe as well. Chloe had taken note of the hidden warning, but she knew already she didn't want that life anymore. And even though the men still looked, no one had tried to touch her, though there had been invitations.

Lykander was different. He was always respectful, even when he teased her. At first it had unnerved her. She wasn't used to being treated like that. For as long as she remembered, men had always wanted something from her. Their eyes had always roamed her body hungrily.

But when Lykander looked at her, his eyes were different. He was different.

Lykander was well liked by everyone. He teased the girls, laughed with the men, and respected his superiors. Still, he didn't treat anyone like he treated Chloe.

Even now, a teasing smile was on his lips. "Next time they trample my flowers, I'll know who to call to scare them off."

Chloe couldn't help the heat that rushed to her cheeks. It was so embarrassing. No man had ever made her feel like this. She turned her head away so he wouldn't see, but of course it was already too late. His soft chuckle told her as much.

"Luckily enough, I managed to save one," he said and one small flower appeared in her line of vision. "Will you protect it from these greedy little creatures?"

She didn't dare look up at him as her trembling hand took the delicate flower, her blush deepening even more.

He certainly was persistent.

Still, Chloe was careful to encourage him. He might be kind and gentle, that didn't mean he wouldn't cast her aside once she had given him what men always wanted from her. If he would cast her aside, she wasn't sure she would be able to handle it. She liked his kindness. She enjoyed the way he almost seemed to curt her. She didn't want that to end. She wouldn't delude herself.

Unknowing to her, Lykander smiled sadly at the servant girl. He knew of her past and he understood her fear. It would take a long time to win her trust, but he was a patient man.

Whenever he thought about any man treating his sisters the way Chloe had been treated, it made his blood boil. No matter how long it would take, he would show her not all men were like that. Maybe one day she would trust him enough to accept more from him that just that flower.

"Go now, Chloe," he said teasingly, "before they think the hens have eaten you this time."

Chloe flinched slightly at the sound of his voice and hurried down the path towards the house.

Lykander watched her go with a fond smile on his lips. Once she was out of sight, he turned back to the gardens.

...

"And you are sure there is nothing else in the letter?" Darius turned to Torcan with narrowed eyes, "nothing else?"

Torcan sighed and tried to hide his impatience. "I showed you the report she sent, by the hand of her husband, regarding the border patrol. They successfully warded off an attack from Balor. Other than that she only wrote about how Boncini is fairing and offering her wishes that your lady wife is faring well in her last term."

Secretly Torcan was relieved that Darius had never demanded to read Vara's letters for himself. At least this way Torcan could still omit Vara's choice of words regarding certain matters. Though good natured, Torcan was sure most of it would be interpreted as an insult were Darius to read it for himself.

Like Vara's wish to Darius for many sons and daughters. Emphasized in exactly that way.

Darius scoffed. "Well, I suppose her duties at her new home will keep her away from court at least."

"My king," Torcan protested softly, "will you not stop punishing her for a thing beyond her control? Truly, she is not the girl you envision her to be."

Darius narrowed his eyes at him. "What I am curious about is why you always rise to her defense when your loyalty should be with me and with my sister. I thought you cared for her."

"I do," Torcan said stiffly, "and my loyalties will always be with Tirèze. That does not mean I will falsely accuse someone merely because you dislike her."

He knew he had gone too far the moment the words had left his mouth.

Darius' anger flared. "You'd do well to remember I am your king!" he yelled, "speak to me like that again and you'll be released from my services! Perhaps you can find position at Boncini. I am sure they'll welcome you with open arms!" He pointed at the door. "Now get out of my sight!"

Torcan swallowed and bowed. "Your Majesty." Quickly he retreated from the room. For a moment he had feared Darius would banish him on the spot.

He still might.

"Torcan."

The soft voice of Elora made him stop. He'd forgotten she had been in the room with them. He waited until she had caught up with him. Her heavy belly would not allow her to walk so fast anymore.

Elora smiled at him sympathetically. "Don't worry, Torcan. I will reason with him. No matter how angry he is, he values you. He doesn't want to lose you."

Torcan sighed. "I wish I could share your confidence, my queen."

"You should," Elora smiled, "you are his friend after all."

Torcan looked down. "Most of all he is my king. I am but a servant. I overstepped my boundaries."

Elora bit her lip. "Tell me, Torcan, why does my husband dislike the lady Vara so much? When I spoke to Ariane she claimed lady Vara was nothing but kind."

"She is," Torcan agreed. He took a deep breath. "It is merely because customs in Zeir differ from those in Tirèze."

"As I am sure both differ from customs in Lavos," Elora replied, "that alone cannot be the reason."

"No," Torcan confirmed, "it might have to do with her calling him an insensitive ill-mannered princeling."

Elora bit her lip to hold her laughter. "If I remember correctly, I called him uncultivated and barbaric," she said with a teasing glint in her eyes.

Torcan coughed. He had forgotten about that. "It might also have to do with the fact that she slapped him."

Elora raised an eyebrow. "Why would she feel the need to slap him?"

Torcan scratched his neck awkwardly. "He might have said something to offend her."

Elora had a thoughtful expression on her face. "So when she called him insensitive and ill-mannered, he was, in fact, being insensitive and ill-mannered?" It didn't surprise her at all. She knew first hand after all Darius had a difficult personality.

"In his defense," Torcan said, "we had been riding for hours through the rain and he mistook her for a servant girl."

"Why would he think that?" Elora questioned.

"Probably because she was dressed as one," Torcan admitted.

Elora blinked. "Why?"

"I honestly don't know," Torcan said, "but from their first encounter they haven't gotten along." It was only a half truth, but he wasn't going to tell her about Cyrus' involvement.

But Elora wasn't so easily fooled. "It seems to go deeper than that though. What was this about an accusation?"

Torcan looked away. "I'd rather not talk about it."

Elora nodded in understanding. "Alright. Then I will not ask." She smiled. "You care about her."

"She has a good heart," Torcan answered, "I wish he could see past his anger and realize she is not who he makes her out to be. She is a good friend."

"And you feel caught between friendship and loyalty," Elora understood, "don't worry, Torcan, I will talk to him. I'll remind him how good a friend you truly are."

Torcan smiled at her gratefully. "It is best to let his anger cool a little before talking to him."

"Oh, I know," Elora winked. She patted his arm. "It will be fine, you'll see." She turned back towards the room she had left earlier.

"My queen," Torcan halted her. He hesitated. "What he accuses her off... it's not the truth."

Elora nodded. "I believe you. Now let me talk to that headstrong husband of mine and make him see reason."

...

Eudemas looked up from kneading the dough for the bread she was preparing and smiled a knowing smile when Chloe entered the kitchen. "Took you long enough. Did the chickens harass you or did you take a detour through the garden?"

Chloe planted the basket with eggs on the table and placed the flower in a cup with water. "He is not easily dissuaded," she said.

Eudemas giggled softly. She had not liked the girl much before, but Boncini had changed her. She seemed at ease here. "Perhaps you should hear what he has to say then. He is certainly trying hard enough to get your attention."

Chloe sighed. "And once he has my attention, he'll give his attention to someone else."

Eudemas looked up surprised. "Are we talking about the same Lykander?"

Chloe walked up to the kettle over the fire and stirred it. "You wouldn't understand," she said softly.

Eudemas slid the tray into the oven and turned to Chloe. "Perhaps I don't," she said, "but you'll never know if you don't try. What's the harm in talking to him? He might surprise you."

Chloe bit her lip. There was sense to Eudemas' words. Still, she couldn't help the fear she felt. She had been disappointed too many times, but she couldn't deny his attention made her feel special. "Maybe," she reluctantly admitted, "just not today." And maybe not tomorrow either. Maybe in time she would be able to believe someone liked her for herself instead of for her skills. For now she pushed all thoughts about Lykander to the side.

There was work to be done.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

560K 17.3K 34
You all know the old fairy-tale's where an evil and cruel dragon kidnaps the princess because of her beauty and then knights in shinning armour arriv...
230K 11.6K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...
2K 149 28
❝ 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑘𝑖𝑠𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑎𝑛 𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑙 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑝𝑢𝑡 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑎 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑎 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 𝑐𝑎𝑝𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝑜𝑓 𝑓...
41K 1.3K 5
"I take what I want, princess, no matter what." TRUTH is hidden behind the LIES. Secrets are buried within the secrets. Darkness lurks in the Light...