An Immortal's Favour

Por RiaNorton

Pessimism poster boy Jacob Agyakwa escapes the clutches of a seemingly certain death and embarks on a getaway... Más

Author's Note
Dedication
Jack- A Small Request
Jack- Unsure
Jack- The Seaside Surprise, Part 1
Jack- The Seaside Surprise, Part 2
Jack- Blue-Eyed Boy
Jack- Il. Gale Uman
Jack- Advice
Jack- The Country of Music
Jack- Tie Up the Loose Ends
Jack- Domestic Unrest
Gale- Exploration
Gale- The Underbelly
Gale- News
Gale- Their Talk
Gale- Who You Are, Part 1
Gale- Who You Are, Part 2
Gale- Who You Are, Part 3
Gale- Miss You
Jack- Help
Jack- Secrets
Jack- Getting Somewhere
Jack- Books, Books, and More Books
Jack- Not Her
Jack- Picture Perfect
Jack- The Second Victim
Jack- On the Road Again
Jack- To Preserve
Jack- Mr Percy
Jack- The Curse Game
Gale- Right Match
Gale- Planning
Gale- Reunion
Gale- Her Return
Gale- For a Friend
Gale- Re-Emergence
Jack- One Big Bash
Jack- Guilty, Part 1
Jack- Guilty, Part 2
Gale- Worry
Gale- Forgiveness
Jack- Forgiveness
Jack- His Choice
Jack- Departure
Jack- Parting Gift?
Jack- Delivered at Last
Jack- A Healthy Dose of Excitement
News and Information

Jack- Setting Off

169 15 86
Por RiaNorton

*

The next few days were spent running over the schedule for the trip and setting some ground rules. I gave the immortal a rundown of where we'd go, how much we'd spend at each stop, etc.

"And no eating in my car."

"What's that?" Gale leaned her head to one side, dropping the makeup pencil she'd been lining her eyebrows with.

"I said no eating-"

"No, I mean, what's a car?"

"It's like a...uh, carriage? Cart? You don't need animals to pull it along."

"And I can't eat in it? Will it stop working if I do?" She blinked innocently, but I swear there was a smile playing along her lips.

"Um, no? I just hate crumbs. Now, as I was saying, regarding cost-"

"Oh! That reminds me!" Shooting up from the floor, Gale ran out of the guest lounge. I bit my lip in irritation and fell back against one of the sofas, lifting my legs up to rest them against the coffee table. Her feet pounded over the main staircase.

She came back after a minute and threw a cloth pouch at me. My hands fumbled, trying to catch it, but it dropped to the floor. Of course.

I reached for it, tugging at the leather strap that held it closed. Inside, gold heldies and bills were shoved together, and I tipped them out over the coffee table after drawing my legs back.

"Wha- what's this for?"

"The trip! What else would it be for?" Gale huffed, leaning over to pick up one of the heldies. I took one, too, observing the etched profile of Queen Quana IV. "I had some money, but I doubted it'd be in use anymore so I looked around and had it exchanged. I didn't think it'd be worth so much."

"Wow. That is a lot. Thanks." I guess that ruled out her being a con woman. "But keep it on you for a rainy day. I've got it covered."

"Just take it, Jacob."

"...I'll take half."

"Three quarters. Final offer."

"Okay," I relented.

"So is there anything else you need to tell me?"

"Don't think so."

"Right." She gathered the makeup strewn over the carpet and stood up again. "I've still got some belongings to gather. I'll meet with you later."

"You do that. I've got a telegram to send off, anyway."

It took about a week, give or take, to get everything in order.

Gale, who'd insisted on wearing a disguise lest some wandering Immortalian recognise and harass her, turned, surprised, late one evening after I'd tapped her lightly on the shoulder. Her long, unplaited hair, which had now been dyed a deep black whipped around her head and fell over her back. In her arms, she held a large trunk.

"I want to be honest with you," I started, reaching up to tug at the small hairs on the back of my neck. False hope was the last thing either of us needed. Sunlight streamed in through the glass windows, brightening the dark red lipstick that'd been smeared across Gale's mouth as the corners of her lips dipped into a frown.

"I know that my mother wants this trip to happen very much. And I do, too. But the thing is, I'm not really in the right state of mind for this yet, so don't take it personally if I'm a little...a little..." One of my hands waved through the air as I searched for the right word.

"This trip should be your choice, not your mother's," she said. "In fact, I'm perfectly alright with visiting Eddie on my own. I just thought you'd want someone to take your mind off of what happened with your old friends. Please don't feel as though you're obliged to do this."

Shuffling awkwardly from foot to foot, I parted my lips, pausing for a moment. "I'll see you downstairs, Gale." I couldn't even look her in the eye.

Her head bent down briefly, but she lifted it back up, smiling weakly. "See you in a few minutes. And shouldn't you be calling me Boahinmaa now?"

"Sorry." She moved past me and stopped.

"If you're having second thoughts, tell me," she said, waiting. I pursed my lips, saying nothing. Gale sighed and carried on walking, disappearing behind one of the white walls at the turn of the corridor behind me. Soon, her footsteps fell on the main staircase.

After the most of the other trunks had been lugged and stashed away into our car, I led her to Mother's office, the ground floor one furthest away from the family living room on the other side of the house.

A couple of maids, Dora and Mannie, were hanging around, sweeping. One look at Gale's heavy, quite crooked makeup set them off into fits of laughter. Though, they quickly shut their mouths at one stern look from me. The immortal's smile wavered.

"I'll phone you to let you know how we're getting on," I assured Mother, once we'd had her permission to enter. My personal trunk dangled from its handles in one of my hands. I stood before the oak, office desk, one hand pressed against its glossy surface, with Gale beside me. She peered at a family photo propped in front of a stack of papers.

Pushing her spectacles up her nose, Mother leaned her head back and replied, "Of course. Enjoy yourself, my dear. You as well, Immortal Gale." She offered us a small smile and gently patted my hand, her fingers lingering. The stains of black hair dye had yet to fade from her fingers. We left, though her gaze still burned into the back of our heads. A few paces away from her glass door, the scratching of her pen started again.

Outside, the air was warm, but a spattering of rain fell as Gale attempted to coax me into conversation with a bunch of questions on our way to the garage. It was hard to believe that Mother had arranged to let me get three months off of work. But then again, she'd probably have done anything to please the patron immortal of Tamara.

"Do you live with your mother?"

"Kind of. But I'm renting an apartment."

"Really? Who with? Or is it just you?" Choosing to ignore the last part of her interrogation, I kept my eyes ahead. Finally, we arrived at the garage doors, which I unlocked and closed behind us. Gale gasped as soon as her eyes fell on the rows of parked cars. Our chauffeur, Akwete, a cup in hand, entered through a back door and put down his cup on a small table nearby.

"Good evening, Master Agyakwa. Have you decided to have me drive you after all?" He stood up tall and straight, grey uniform almost crease-free as he waited expectantly for an answer. I'd completely forgotten about the offer.

I thought about bringing him along on the journey. Sure, it would've been convenient, but it could've easily added to the present awkwardness.

And, dear immortals, I really didn't need that.

I knew plenty of good spots, anyway; I'd be fine.

"I'll drive this time."

Akwete nodded and moved forward, in the direction of the garage doors. Towards the left, my own car lay hidden, blocked by a line of Father's old sports cars. It was a new Angelo Marino, though I didn't care enough to remember which model. The vehicle was a shiny brown, long, streamlined and modern.

"Alright, get your things in the trunk."
The pure happiness on her face at the sight of the car was so endearing that, when she turned her face to mine, I couldn't help but offer a small smile in return.

We threw the last of our luggage into the boot, and I went around the side of the car to open Gale's door for her.

"Wait, Jacob. One final thing." Gale produced a small vial, about the length of my pinky, from her shoulder bag. A pink, luminescent liquid swirled inside of it. "This is for you. In the event that you experience your symptoms again, use it."

"What is it?"

"It's some of the brew I used to help you. Keep it on you at all times; it could very well save your life," she clarified, voice low as she looked to where Akwete was standing. Stepping even closer, more than comfort could allow, she pressed the vial into my hand.

"Thanks." I stashed it away in the pocket of my slacks.

"Don't tell anyone you have it, and be sure to keep it out of sight."

Uncertainly, I caught her gaze.

"I'm aware you have no belief in things such as this," she started again, "but others do. When I brought the brew to you, I had it diluted in a glass of water for fear of it being stolen. It's happened before. Don't let it happen to you."

Once we were both settled in our seats, I switched the radio on to fill the silence and risked a quick glance at Gale. Her eyes were darting around, taking everything in.

"This contraption...and there's music coming out of it!" she exclaimed, pointing at the radio, her voice hardly above a whisper.

"How old are you really?"

"Jacob!" Gale playfully shook my shoulder. "You never, ever ask a woman to reveal her age."

"You must be very old, then." I switched the engine on.

She gave a little gasp in- what I assumed -was mock surprise.

Akwete stood to one side of the garage doors, which had been thrown wide open. The car inched forward, its wheels splashing the shallow puddles on the driveway outside.

"I'm not that old. Not for an immortal, alright? I'm just...."

"Didn't catch that."

"I'm a little over two hundred years old."

"How is that even possible?" The woman hardly had any wrinkles at all, and any sane person wouldn't have believed her bold claim; she could barely pass for a thirty-year-old.

"I'll keep that my little secret."

The giant gates creaked open.

"So, Jacob. Ready?"

"As I'll ever be."

The gates swung closed behind us, gleaming gold in the rich light of the setting sun.

*

Discussion: Where would your first stop be if you went on a road trip?

Feel free to comment and vote if you enjoyed this chapter!

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

640 96 14
Jacob, a high school student recently discovers his power to manipulate reality. This power throws him to a venture of strange places along with some...
2.3K 45 67
Derythian Kingsley has always been different from his kind. Different from his older brother, leader of his home land Xenia, and different from the n...
2K 198 32
Two tortured souls. One unthinkable love. Ava is already trying to navigate the dark depths of grief when she meets a curious stranger who knows to...
39 5 9
In a small town shrouded in magic and mystery, Jacob, an ordinary high schooler, unintentionally unleashes a mysterious genie bound within a ring to...