Born of Death (Editing)

By JalissaPastorius

|COMPLETED| A young woman will plunge into a world of death and intrigue. There she must navigate the dark co... More

1: Welcome to the Abyss pt I
2. Welcome to the Abyss pt II
3. Who's Afraid of the Dark pt I
4. Who's Afraid of the Dark pt II
5. Pretend Date
6. Lurking Shadows
7. Dreams of Death
8. Absence of Light
9. Gateways of Death and the New Guy
11. Phantoms and Mysterious Noise
12. Death's Ruling
13. Darklings
14. Magic 101
15. Binding Chains
16. Memoirs of the End
Chapter 17: The Death of Me
Chapter 18: Return of the King
Chapter 19: Whispers of Death and Moonlight Sonata
Chapter 20. The Evil in You
Chapter 21. Destruction of Bonds of Love
Prelude
22. Destroying Guardians
23. Shrouded in Darkness
24. The Ball and the Creepy Queen
25. The Death Dance
26. Thrust into Darkness
27. Mirror Mirror on the Wall
28. My Beautiful Nightmare
29. Meet Me on the Otherside
30. Love After Death
31. Trickery of Light
32. The Light is my Enemy
33. Darklings in the Seedbed
34. Bleed for Me
35. Scream
36. Revelation
37. Bright and Mysterious Light
38. The Welkin
39. A Fool's Game
40. Into the Night
41. Shatter
42. A Familiar Face
44. Brothers.
EPILOGUE

10. Mirrors and Monsters

263 11 0
By JalissaPastorius

DON'T FORGET TO

FAN

VOTE

COMMENT

Mirror mirror on the wall

Tell me who's the devilish of them all

The stillness of the night was always comforting. Like rain hitting against the windows while eyes are heavy with sleep, or a warm soft embrace, it soothed her as darkness wrapped around her. However, no amount of comfort could get her to sleep at night. Sleep deprivation had her grey eyes so pale that only the pupil showed. She studied her reflection in the bathroom's mirror while debating to call three times for Candyman. Would he appear and take her to the afterlife. It's probably better than the monotonous life she was living here. She was invisible. And lonely. It hurts.

I don't need them.

Shutting off the lights to the bathroom, she returned to her room. Still, she wasn't quite ready for bed, so she planted her form at her vanity table. Gosh! Rosalinda was just unable to shake this oppressing heavy feeling. This heavy pain filled her heart and left her hollow inside. She was missing something. Something was terribly wrong and she had yet to figure it out. Tears filled her eyes as her nose flared and she fought the lump forming in her throat. No. She was done crying. She couldn't keep doing this. Focus on something else. Anything!

Sighing wistfully, she pinched the bridge of her nose trying to push her thoughts aside. Her eyes landed on the antique ivory bush. Grabbing it, she twirled it in her hands, the bristles were extremely soft and the designs on the brush incredibly detailed. She studied the vines twisting along the handle and around the back of the brush.

"That's kinda morbid." She mumbled noting the wilting rose etched on the back of the brush. These vines had thorns! "Darkness becomes you." She read slowly aloud. Why would such words be engraved on a hairbrush?! Hadn't she heard these words before? Huffing at her quirks, she pulled the hair tie moaning as the tension ebbed from edges. Twirling the brush in her hand, she studied her reflection before dragging in through her tresses. Her mind returned to the hollow ache in her chest. Setting the brush down, she wiped at her eyes before a sob burst from her lips. Gosh, she was going crazy! This was ridiculous!

"Just make it stop." She sobbed resting her head on the vanity table. Just stop. She cried her nose running.

She squeaked as her world shifted. Daydreaming? The wind howled around her, whipping her hair about as she squinted into a starless night sky.

Leaning on a banister and reaching out towards the infinite blackened sky, she called out to him. Rosalinda blanched as she whipped her head around only to encounter a glass castle. W-what? It looked ominous under the starless night sky, and a soft glow came from within it. She inched closer. The wind howled once more and his voice reached her. He was coming back. Elated at the idea she spun in a circle clapping with glee.

Her eyes shot open. Who was he? And why did she feel lighter when thinking about him. Grumbling, she reached over and shut her alarm off. Another glorious day of the life Rosalinda was underway. Ugh.

Smiling internally, she took a seat in Mister Kenward's class as his attention was focused on another student. She must be new. Strange, his facial expression looked like one of worry or caution. Her eyes slid over toward the girl. Her black hair was cut into a stylish long bob, she wore blue jeans and a white shirt, Rosalinda couldn't see her face or the shirts design. It didn't matter, she would fit in just fine with everyone. And no, she wasn't jealous!

She grunted as overwhelming feeling of sorrow returned for a guy she didn't know. Her heart stuttered in her chest as if it were having spasm, and she cough. Was she having a stroke? Surely, someone had dug their fingers into the cavities of her heart. She frowned as Mister Kenward, Yu and even the new student's heads turned towards her. As if they could hear her heart's fallacies. She resisted the urge to snarl at them and bit her lip as the new girl rushed towards her. What did she want?

"Are you ok?" Rosalinda stared into surprisingly kind brown eyes. It didn't matter though, they always seemed so nice in the beginning.

"Why does it bother you?" She wasn't trying to be a bitch, but she didn't know who she was and she just didn't trust people. Blame her maniacal sister. Strangely, she wanted to instinctively throw herself in the girl's arms. To yell, screech and scream all the pain tearing her apart on the inside.

"Why won't it go away," she whispered to herself, momentarily distracted from the girl in front of her. Wait, did she hear her?

"I am Cecilia,"

"Rosalinda." she told her staring at her hand for a second before shaking it. A small smile flashed across her face as Yu skipped over to join them. She supposed imaging them as monsters was crazy.

Turned out, Cecilia was in every class with her. Kind of strange, but who was she to complain. It was all very meh. Her status within the social hierarchy seemed to improve. They had plans to meet in the cafeteria when she decided to ditch Yu and Cecilia to return to her snuggery—her nesting place in the tree.

Making herself comfortable she flipped through the pages of a worn book as she resisted the overwhelming urge to throw herself into Cecilia's arms. It was strange even for her. Maybe she should see a psychiatrist, talking probably really helps. And just how was she going to go see someone. With shit parents at home and even shittier siblings—well sibling, it just didn't seem feasible.

She frowned, as a familiar brunette popped into view. Wait—no! How did she find her? No one ever came to find her! Just stragglers passing by. The girl whispered her name and like a lilting lullaby, it propelled her forward. The hollowness within her became unbearable, tears swelled in her eyes, running down her face in rivulets as pain consumed her.

She gasped at the sorrow blooming inside her. Rosalinda cried as Cecilia's arms formed around her like a mother soothing child. She wept for him. For something she lost. Her body trembled as her mind screamed at her. She was so lost in her grief that she didn't hear the wailed joining her own, or the beautiful notes carried by the wind to comfort her. All she wanted was for him to return. To come back to her. To take the pain away. She was dying without him.

☠️☠️☠️

Her agony filled cries sent him to his knees in pain. Animalistic sounds tore from his throat, thundering around him as his beast rippled beneath the surface. His eyes shift from his father to the elder as the blood pumping in their veins jumped at him. He tried shaking the strange sight aside only for their organs to be highlighted in bright florescent colors as his beast contemplate the best way to dispose of them.

The bonds they used to seal his power away, began to snap like confetti and he feared the beast excitement at the thought. Rationale. He desperately needed it. They tried to convince him to keep away from her until she remembered on her own, but he argued that in her own way. She did remember him. Their time together may have been short and fleeting, but their connection was strong. Impenetrable. Unbreakable. His worries only increased at Cecilia's appearance. She was a Banshee, and they could come in many forms to get close to their victims. In order to establish a relationship with Rosa, she came in the form of a young woman. Banshees only appeared in places where there was great sorrow and pain; and Cyriac hated how Rosa hurt. He wished to take her pain away. It tore at him, that she was in so much pain a banshee would appear. Cyriac could feel saliva pooling in his mouth as his gums ached.

"That angel is getting too close!" He bellowed, his body trembling with suppressed rage. He could see it in his father's eyes. Fear. Caution. Interest at this latest development. But he grew tire of his games.

"Either release me, or I will break these bonds!" He roared spittle flying everywhere. His beast was becoming uncontrollable. The brands on his body flared to life, and Cyriac chuckle his voice low, deep the tenor ringing out and guttural sounding like nails on a chalkboard as he felt a part of the seal come undone. Hatred bled into his heart, as they continued to chant, and shackles manifested by them tightened around his wrists and ankles.

"Be rational Cyriac," his father pleaded.

"That is why I am King! I am not afraid of the consequences and I think for all of my people. You failed to realize that those from the realm of light are interfering. An angel is trying to get close to my Rosa! I won't allow. She is my mate! My true mate!" he exploded as fury raged through his body making it particular easy for his beast to peek through.

His eyes prickle, and his father paled tremendously. Sweat poured down Cyriac's brow as he tried to retain what little control he had left. He trembled as his fingernails turned black and his nails begin to grow. Energy leaked from him black, its tendrils dancing like a kraken's limbs. Seeing the raw fear in his father's eyes, Cyriac tried to quell the tremendous rage swirling inside of him. His breathing was returning to normal when a chill shot down his spine and his beast quiet immediately. Self-perseveration perhaps?

"Ooo, killing, I love it. You will kill your own father to get to my daughter? Hmm, very interesting King. Of. Darkness." he said mockingly as his maniacal giggles spilled from his lips. "More souls for me to play with and powerful souls. I get hungry just thinking about it," he croaked out famish.

Death was creepy, he shivered whenever he was in the vicinity as if his life flashed before his eyes. Death could annihilate them all. What kept him from doing so? Cyriac's eyebrows rose to his hairline in surprise. With a wave of his hand, the shackles around his wrists and ankles, aged, before crumbling into dust.

"I will agree with you boy, that angel has best to get away from my daughter. The covenant between her mother and I has been broken. Poor mother doesn't have any idea what's going on with my child and for that they will all pay. No one hurts what's mine," he said peering into his face with soulless eyes. Cyriac gulped, afraid of their empty sockets. Why must he use that form? Did he think staring at him with the muscle layer of the body exposed and empty sockets sent fear reeling through him? The shades of red intermingled with white was off putting, but he managed. Pushing aside his queasiness, he focused on Rosalinda. They would be reunited once more, and nothing was going to take her away from him.

"Not yet, you must rest. This is only the beginning," Thanatos added halting Cyriac's eagerness to rejoin his daughter. He shivered as a sinister smile twisted Death's face into something ferocious. Have mercy on their souls.

☠️☠️☠️

She flushed as the fresh memory of her breakdown exploded in her mind sending heat to her checks and her neck. Gosh, she felt so silly, but a bit better. It was weird. Forgoing her gym class, she spent the rest of her day in the library. Rosalinda breathed in the familiar scent of books, and thick carpet as she nestled in the corner with her head in Cecilia's lap.

The girl stroked her head as if a mother would, and she felt tension leaking from her limbs turning her into mush as she relaxed free of pain. As with all things, it was fleeting. Her inner peace was shattered by her sister's appearance. Was she purposely searching for her to make her life a miserable living hell? Didn't she deserve some happiness! How could this small girl make someone like her feel so miserable and alone?

Panic bloomed in her chest her mind reeling as her heart stumbled in her chest. Rosalinda legs begin to tremble. She sat up quickly and tried to scoot away from Cecilia, the farther the distance the better. Rachel wasn't happy she started making friends, and terror burst renewed as she feared getting into trouble with her father. She didn't want it. Shaking her head side to side, she tried to deny her relationship with Cecilia.

"So, this is where the little tramp is hiding," Rachel sneered as her hateful cold blue eyes clashed with her greys. "Didn't know you batted for the other side. Wait until I tell father." She said gleefully, as fear exploded in Rosalinda's eyes. Why? What did she do? Why couldn't they get along? Her eyes bore into Rachel's back as she laughed her friends joining her. Why was she allowed happiness? Something inside of her broke, forgetting Cecilia, her lips pulled into a shit eating grin as the shadows shot from her to Rachel and her little friends.

Break. Devour. Kill.

"Come and embrace the darkness, don't worry I won't hurt you...much," she uttered darkly as Rachel glanced back at her with terror pouring from her eyes. Screams tore from the girls' throat, and Rosalinda breathed deeply as if she were feasting on the delicious emotion. Saliva pooled into her mouth as her mouth expanded and a second roll of sharp fangs descended behind her first set of teeth. Her stomach gurgled, cramping in anticipation while her eyes latched onto her prey.

She could see wispy transparent tendrils coming from the girls, but the threads coming from Rachel were sky blue in color. They looked simply mouthwatering. She felt her energy stretch as darkness began to cloak the library, cocooning them in a world of black.

Feed. Feed. Eat! Give her more!

Throwing her form like a pitcher in the major leagues, she soared through the air before landing on Rachel's back. Hearing a crunch, her screams were cut off as she bent at the waist and inhaled deeply. Rachel's friends collapsed, and Rosalinda felt the skin on her face tightening as she licked the back of Rachel's neck.

She was so close. Her mind became hazy as the blue tendrils became her source of focus. A sharp hissed left her lips as the shadows began to crack and light poured in from the windows. Rosalinda's eyes widen in shock as she backed slowly away from her sister and her friends crashing into the bookshelf. Something was wrong with her! What happened? She shied away from the truth, grabbing her backpack she slung it over her shoulders, and fled the library.

Lying in bed, she thought of Rachel and her promise to talk to dad. Her lip trembled and she tried to calm the blood roaring in her ears as her heart rate sped up. Oh! She worked tonight, grateful for the reprieve she dressed quickly ignoring her earlier episode in the library. She was going mad. And what were those wispy tendril things coming from everyone. More importantly, why were they a different color in Rachel? Was she really going to devour her sister? She shuddered at the thought. Maybe she deserved to be treated like an animal, like she was invisible, like a punching bag. It was probably all her fault. Did Rachel remember what happened? No one would believe her. She didn't even believe it. Huffing she collected her things, and left for work.

Work wasn't too bad. It wasn't that busy and there weren't any awkward moments with that weird guy who'd been stalking her lately. She sighed, pulling the red biohazard trash bag from the red can and tossing it into the large industrial rolling trashcan outside the room. Rosalinda grabbed the bleach spray bottle of her cart and begin soaking the operating bed in the stuff, before moving toward the counter and other equipment in the room. She was restocking the gloves, and sanitizing wipes when Ari'el poked his head in the doorway. Why won't he leave her alone!

"Ari'el," she nodded while trying to push past him out into the hall. Her pager already beeped, signaling the next operating room needed a stat cleaning. She really didn't have time as she was also schedule for a room inspection.

"Where you off to little one?" Little? There was nothing little about her Five foot eleven inches frame. Just let her pass. She huffed her irritation apparent by her body language.

"Why are you stalking me? I've got better things to do. I'm trying to work right now."

"But you like me being here." Eh? Where would he get that notion from?Why was he deluding himself into thinking that she actually like him? Yes, he was very attractive, sadly it had no effect on her. She already spent her time dreaming about a pair of hypnotic sea-green eyes. His ego certainly was big. She held back a snort. Ignoring him, she tried once again to pass him. It wasn't a good idea to be trapped in a room with a guy who didn't understand the word no.

"Why are you fighting it Rosalinda?" He said huskily grabbing her by the wrist and backing her into a wall. This was the problem with men! They thought they were entitled to women and anyone who told them no posed a challenge, one that they thought they could conquer. Well, she wasn't an obstacle. She was a living breathing human!

"Let me go! Haven't you ever heard the word no before?!" She shouted trying to rip her arm free. His golden eyes glowed and his facial feature shifted, as if trying to turn into the best form that would appeal to be. Her lip quivered as her eyes widen in shock. He was practically blinding. Why wasn't her weird shadows coming to the rescue!

"Just this one time," he muttered to himself as his lips descended closer to hers. She strained against his hold as her mind reeled and hustle and bustle of the hospital fell away. She'd never guessed she'd be put in some unorthodox predicament where the opposite sex couldn't comprehend the signs she gave him. She supposed she wasn't as different as she thought. She didn't want it. Get away!

"Stop," she croaked her throat paralyzed in fear, his hands, they were like steel. Imprisoning her. Shackling her. Her body crumped to the floor as he was suddenly ripped away before his lips could make contact. She sat panting as she tried to catch her breath and collect herself. He couldn't do that! It—it was against the law. Her hand flew to her throat massaging it as if she could still feel him inching closer to her. Elation filled her as she spotted her supervisor in front of her before giving way to confusion. No. She couldn't possibly think. No!

"It's not what you think. I was just minding my own business trying to finish this room for the inspection when he appeared," she told her earnestly.

"Miss Cutteridge. We don't condone this type of behavior in this organization." What! The guy practically forced himself on her and she was paying the consequences. Instead of having a light at the end of the tunnel, she seemed to have been hit by a truck. Broken. Forlornly, she laid on the ground waiting for that thing she called hope to return to her.

"Come with me to the office," Karen said. Rosalinda knew she didn't like her from the beginning; this was just probably an excuse for her to finally let her go. Here came the carrion birds to peck at whatever was left of her soul.

She shift from foot to foot as she stood in the cramp office Karen shared with two other supervisors, the white painted walls aging with time and the flat dull navy blue carpet creaking under her feet. Her eyes scanned the room as she was told the last of her pay would be deposited into her checking account.

Rosalinda's eyes flashed as she thought about gorging herself on the tendrils leaking from the woman. She blanched at the dark tone her thoughts and nodded emptying her pockets, before turning on her heels and leaving the office. Great, just what she needed an early night home to deal with her incredible loving family. She grabbed the few items she had in her locker, before taking a last look at the hospital floor. The floors were shiny and buffed, gleaming under the bright lights. Nursers, techs, and doctors rushed about doing their different tasks. She moved past the rooms of patients who were waiting to speak to hospice—their lives coming to an end. She smiled at the ones she knew, giving them one last wave. Rosalinda was sad to leave but even sadder to leave those wispy transparent things behind. Sighing, she left the hospital behind.

☠️☠️☠️

"What do you think you're doing interfering like that? Do you want to upset the natural order?" the elder shouted.

"Why don't you understand I was so close?!" he yelled back angrily.

"Close? I practically had to rip you away child! You are still young. Stop this now or I will be informing the council. You do not want to start a war. A war where we'll surely be the ones to lose."

"Fine." he muttered, but he had no intention of stopping. He was going to follow through and prove to them that they were all wrong. Just watch and see. It'll be their undoing.

A/N:

An extra long chapter for you guys! Sorry for the delay. Please vote! See you in the next chapter! Cyriac is coming to get his woman! I can't wait to see Rosalinda grow as a darkling.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 645 31
A seemingly simple girl who has recently completed high school, turns 18 one night and wakes up to find out the whole truth about her family and thei...
2.2K 213 27
Kali has always been obedient, but when she takes her first step onto a protected “humans only” high school in suburban Pittsburgh, she knows she was...
936K 24.7K 61
Vivienne didn't believe in vampires until she started to suspect her prince might be one. Which will she sacrifice - humanity or love? ...
301K 29.1K 82
Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared for. They might make a powerful team... ...