Limelight

Da seventhirty3pm

Limelight parts 1,2, will all be included in this book. Part 3 will be separate. All her life Delilah Smith... Altro

Dear Reader
Cast
Fame
The Bronx
My Crème De La Crème
Whip Appeal
Breaking News
People Make The World Go Round
The Joneses' Boy
Encounters
Addition To Part One Cast
Adventures In The Bronx
The Show
The Papers, The Beginning
Daddy's Word
Exhibit A. Coming Out
There But For The Grace Of God Go I
Arosing Conflicts
Home
When Fate Calls
Road To Glory
Road To Glory Part 2
Destiny
Next Big Thing
The Bad, The Ugly
Brewing Plans
A Different Route
Killa's Kill
Something Like Resolutions
California Dreaming
Solo Jackson
Reunited
With Ruin Comes Hope
The Closer We Get
With Hope Comes Ruin
A Night To Remember
There's A Candle For The Darkness
About-Faces
Pleasure & Pain
Portrait Of Havoc
Shades Of Gray
Voyage To Hollywood
Dear Reader
Cast
Legally Misguided
Talking Business
Chasing Inspiration
The Start Of The Beginning
He's The Greatest Dancer
Lights, Camera, Action
Time Is Of The Essence
Hollywood Swinging
Boogie Oogie Oogie
The Thrill Of It All
Addition To Part Two Cast
There's A Key For Locked Doors
'Tis The Season
Business Vs Pleasure
Never Can Say Goodbye
Time Waits For No One
Life In Oz
Bees, Buzz, And Honey
City Of Angels, Land Of Demons
Upside Down
All Is Fair In Love And War

The Limelight

1.9K 105 413
Da seventhirty3pm

April 1976
Friday

The sun took its time emerging across the horizon and once its light set on the sky-scraping buildings, the entire neighborhood ceased to sleep no longer.

More vehicles appeared on the streets, business owners flipped their signs from closed to open, and RadioRic from the Soul4Real station greeted them all with his liveliness.

" Good morning my brothers, sisters...and other lovely people, I hope you all had a good night's rest cause it's now time to rise and shine. This is RadioRic with Bill Withers's Lovely day. "

Delilah

The dreadful sound of my alarm woke me from my slumber, and once my eyes glanced around to see the sun peeking through the curtains, I buried my head into my pillow to muffle my groans.

It took me a few minutes to talk myself into moving but reluctantly I managed to get out of bed.

Mornings like this ,well technically every school morning, I regretted my decision to set an alarm ten minutes earlier than Alyssa's and Junior's, but it was either that or I'd have to wait at least thirty to forty minutes for them to get out the bathroom. And due to past situations,  I wasn't having that.

My eyes, still heavy and worn, glanced to the right of me to see Alyssa still sleeping.

Alyssa was now nineteen with a job at Barbra's, a beauty/barber salon down the street from our home, She had the opportunity to leave high school junior year to attend cosmetics school. Although she didn't want to - she did and in return she earned her beauty license during May of last year.

The little rascals, Junior and Damon were finally finishing their years of being middle schoolers, and the pessimistic Devin couldn't wait to be a Senior.

It was as if life was passing us by for the past two years.. I was already in my last month of being a Sophomore...who knows how different things could be in the next two years.

I sauntered down the hallway and soon a smile plastered across my face at the sound of Bill Withers heard from the kitchen–telling me that my mother was woke and by the smell of it, cooking breakfast.

Upon passing my parent's room my father appeared, his eyes downcast as he adjusted his tie with focused eyes.

I smiled. " Morning Pops."

" Oh–" He smiled as he nearly bumped into me. "Morning Honeybun." He kissed my cheek, and I almost grimaced due to his facial hair scratching my skin.

" Daddy don't you think it's time to...you know shave?" My question resulting in a deep chuckle from him.

" What? You know how I feel about my facial hair babygirl." He rubbed his face with pride.

" Yeah okay whatever you say." I responded with a slight frown as his attention converted back to his tie.

When entering the small square shaped bathroom I prepared my things along the sink counter, brushing my teeth instantaneously to free the abnormal morning taste from my mouth.

And once fulfilled, I grabbed my face towel– lathering it with cleanser while observing myself in the mirror. Like each morning my eyes were somewhat puffed but once I caught a glimpse of my hair my eyes grew immediately in size. It totally escaped my mind last night to wrap it.

God, I'm a mess. I scolded myself, attempting to run my fingers through my hair with my free hand.

There was then a loud banging on my door causing me to pause from washing my face.

" Come on man I gotta take a leak! " Junior exclaimed from the other side of the door.

I rolled my eyes before wiping the soap residue off my face. " Wait a minute, you a big boy hold ya bladder."

" Hold my–You got ten seconds or I'm knocking you down."

" Junior just–"

" Ten!  Nine!"

" Junior."

" Eight...Seven-"

" Fine! " I yanked the door open and almost immediately he shoved me out of his way, slamming the door behind him.

" You need to hurry up so I can fix my hair." I demanded, my eyes narrowing once hearing him snicker.

" Sorry you know the rules sis, everyone has to have their turn before someone can use the bathroom again."

I scoffed at his words, knowing him he probably didn't even have to ' take a leak' in the first place.

" Junior stop playing dirty you could've waited a couple more minutes."

" Yeah right, a couple of minutes my ass, I see these flat irons...that bird nest on your head would've took at least an hour and one of dad's prayers."

I clenched my jaw as I contemplated before nodding my head at the sound of running water. " Alright remember this." I spat, I could just imagine him mocking me from the other side of the door.

I turned the corner with a bubbling scheme forming in my head but my thoughts of revenge ceased when hearing my mother's voice in the kitchen.

" Hey bab–... rough morning?" She questioned causing my lips to twist in embarrassment.

" Yeah, your son robbed me out of my bathroom time." I spat bitterly as she patted my hair with a soft giggle. I probably look like I belong with the fiends down on Kirkson Street or something.

" Well go get my curlers instead and I'll do it."

" No it's fine Ma, I wanna start doing things myself. I'm nearly a woman now–"

" Wow wow wow, slow down. You still got some years to go." Dad barged in promptly. The possibility of me turning into a woman was the last thing he wanted to consider, if it was up to him both Alyssa and I would still be little girls playing with dolls and princess costumes.

I chuckled as I fixed my plate with pancakes, eggs, and a nice amount of bacon before deciding to make Alyssa's plate.

Our kitchen unlike Aunt Dorthy's didn't have double doors, it was a small section that had an open concept to the dining area. And our dining area merged with our living room.

Our apartment was just right, Although they could've spared an extra bathroom in this place, but besides that...it was just right.

I didn't mind sharing a room with Alyssa either. We set rules and boundaries, I decorated my half of the room and she decorated hers. And of course our items were off limits without asking.

" Good morning family." She turned the corner just as I headed towards the table.

They returned the welcome with morning kisses and I did with a mischievous smirk.
" Morning sis...you're dressed already?" I responded, sitting the plate of food in front of her before taking my seat.

" Thank you, and yeah girl I woke up earlier and decided to get myself together...I got a busy day today."

" Well good luck."

" Yeah you know I'll need it." She said as we shared a slight smile.

" Just look at my girls, so sweet. The males in here need to take notes." My mother threw a look our father's way who was now peeking over his newspaper.

" Take notes? I'm who they got their sweetness from." He claimed causing both Alyssa and I to glance at each other for not only did he lie to us but also to himself.

Don't get me wrong Dad wasn't this dreadfully cruel man but let's just say whenever a circumstance comes up in our lives mother is the one we tell and he... he's the one that unfortunately finds out.

For instance, when Alyssa had her first kiss back in Dakota, he lost his mind completely, stormed down the street to poor Andre's house and let hell break loose. It was then and there that Alyssa decided to never tell our father anything for 'Oh you can talk to me about any and everything'  was not sincere coming from him... unless of course it was Junior.

But as for me...my record was clean, I was sixteen and girls around my age had already experienced their first kiss and believe it or not most even lost their virginity or as my best friend Valentina loved to say, popped their cherry.

I could just hear the popping sound she'd make with her finger and mouth causing me to cringe internally.

"Good morning everybody, no worries the favorite is here." My irritant of a little brother blurted as he approached the table before glancing to me.

"Oh by the way love the new look you got going on." He added gesturing his hands around his hair.

" Junior leave your sister alone." Mother blurted in my defense yet I couldn't help but notice my dad chuckling behind his news papers.

My eyes narrowed until Alyssa then whispered to me. " I was about to say something about that but I figured since it was still early I'd let you slide."

" Fine I'll just let you do it then–" I shrugged before Junior cut me off.

" Ha don't get ahead of yourself she's a beautician not a magician–"

" Noah Kaden Smith Junior if you don't leave your sister alone." I kissed my teeth as my mother defended me yet with laughter evident in her voice.

Junior drew back with surrendering hands.
" Fine, I'll leave the wild beast alone." He chuckled, heading to make his plate. I watched with amusement as his smile dropped immediately.

" W-where's my food?"He questioned sending Alyssa and I into a fit of laughter and even our mother cracked as well.

" Oh baby there's still some toast left and jelly on the counter."

" Toast? Jelly? You have to be kidding me."He pouted causing me to engage in the conversation.

"Sorry you know the rules bro...first come first served." I smirked and if only I had a camera to catch his expression.

She shook her head before grinning at him.
" Well there's Waffelos in the cabinet if you don't want it...and if you don't want cereal then you can always eat at school, leave your sister alone and things like this wouldn't happen." She stated placing a fork full of pancakes in her mouth.

" Dad? Aren't you gonna help me?.. it's three against one."

" Listen to your mother." was all he said as his flipped his papers.

Junior then glared at me as I teasingly enjoyed a piece of bacon causing him to run his figure across his neck in attempts to threaten me.

...

Once done eating,I finished what Junior interrupted and after getting dressed I decided to let Alyssa give me a quick do before we left.

Within the next twenty minutes we were out the door and almost instantly the loud sound of my best friend's voice was heard as she remained posted on the stoop.

"Well damn it's about time, what was the hold up?" She questioned with extended arms.

My eyes traveled to the back of my head yet before I could utter a word Alyssa responded.
" We had a hair crisis now les go." She stated leading the way down the few steps.

....

Our school was a few blocks down and Barbra's Glamorous Styles– to Alyssa's luck was only one block from here.

Valentina glanced over to me. "Lilah when are you gonna stop dressing like a nun girl and show a little skin?"

My eyes narrowed instantly. " Whenever you learn to shut up."

"Shit well it's hot, them titties need to breathe girl."

Alyssa snickered as she shook her head. " Aye it's not like she has a choice, you know how our square ass pops is."

I nodded as my eyes directed to her. " I'm surprised you even got pass him in those shorts." I scoffed watching a smirk appear on her lips as she shrugged.

" I'm nineteen years old, a grown ass woman. It's too damn hot for his childish rules. Mm, maybe he would've noticed if his nose wasn't buried in his news papers every morning."

" Hm."  Valentina then shook her head. " At least he's not like my grams...this morning she caught me checking myself out in the mirror and I could've sworn she mumbled that I was a slut in Español." She stated causing us to share a light chuckled.

" Man but can you believe that we're about to be Juniors?" She changed the topic with a broad smile." I mean damn we were just freshmen with bird chest now look at us." She stuck her tongue out, playfully groping her boobs in the process.

" Awn youngsters, I remember my high school years." Alyssa stated, placing her hands over her heart with pouted lips.

" Girl please, you still look like one of us walking around with that immature ass Betty Boop binder."

Alyssa's mouth dropped at Valentina's
words. She loved Betty Boop since we were little girls, it's gonna take a miracle for her to get rid of her.

" You know what ... fuck you and you too for laughing." Alyssa proudly flipped us off as we parted ways once she reached her destination.

...

Once they reached school the bell had just rung. Delilah's eyes were downcast as she found herself in random thoughts. That was until Valentina's nudge caught her attention.

" Looks like poor lover boy is waiting for you." She giggled and instantly Delilah's eyes directed to the main entrance where Raheem sat occupied with his book.

She scoffed. " Tina for the millionth time it's not like that."

" Girl please, Heem's been drooling over you since you stepped foot in this place." She waved Delilah off dismissively before she proceeded ahead towards him.

" Sup Square." She smirked and immediately he glanced from his book with a sigh of annoyance.

" Sup ... Valery." He retorted earning a soft chuckle from Delilah due to his false name calling. He grinned at her.

" Tina, don't you have some—boy toys to go play with or something?" Delilah addressed.

Tina's mouth fell agape to speak her mind but instead she nodded, rerouting herself as they entered the school. " You know what, that's not such a bad idea." She smirked before she decided to speak what was at the forefront of her thoughts.
" Plus, I don't want to ruin you two lovebird's alone time anyway so I'll just go."

Their eyes widened at her words and Raheem became embarrassed almost instantly.

" Jewelz..." Delilah glared causing the smirking Valentina to throw her hands up in surrender.

" Okay damn, I'm leaving."

Delilah watched her best friend switch away, approaching two basketball jocks across the hall. One of them attempting to hug her but her hand halted him, handing him her books instead and the other boy her book bag.

" She is..."

" A hot mess." Delilah finished Raheem's words. " Yeah I know." She laughed bringing about a slight one from him as they approached her locker.

" So how are things going with you and your family?" Delilah questioned as she put some of her books away.

He adored everything about her but what he loved most was her consideration for others and their feelings.

He shrugged as they met eyes. " Same shit nothing new to be honest... but off me what's up with you?"

She grinned as she shut her locker. " Nothing much, choir rehearsals tomorrow then Sunday church...You'll be there right?"

" Yeah actually, I need some prayers anyway. Plus I gotta play piano remember?"

She nodded as they stopped in front of her first period.  " Awe yeah I almost forgot but I'll see you later on. You coming to Frank's with us this time?"

Raheem sucked some air in causing Delilah to groan, she knew Raheem too well. And that was a sign of him saying no.

" Heem come on you never come to The Spot..."

" I just...Okay fine but I can't stay for long."

She smiled at his words. " Okay boy I'm holding you to that." She pointed his way before entering the room.

...

School flew by as it does regularly to her, she had been focusing so much on her work that she never paid mind to the clock and as for her free time that always flew by.

The final bell rang and the halls soon filled with tons of students. " Aye Lilah! " The distinctive voice of  Valentina exclaimed amongst the crowd of people.

Delilah glanced around until seeing her best friend approaching her. " So what's the plan for this weekend chica? You coming to my crib?"

" I don't know, rehearsals tomorrow."

" Girl like that's a problem, we're going to the same place, my grams can take us."

Delilah nodded as they exited the school doors.
" Alright, but you know I gotta ask first- which won't be a problem, my pops think you're as innocent as can be anyway."

Valentina chuckled placing her hand on her chest." Well I mean I am." She claimed earning a brief side eye from her until Raheem ran after them.

" Oo, just what I needed." Tina smirked, tossing her bag his way resulting in a glare from him as they headed down the grassy hill towards the sidewalks.

" You remember Troy right ? Tall, dark, number nine on the team, and sexy as fuck!"

Delilah nodded." Of course how can I forget? He sleeps in Mr.Hollins class everyday."

" Well math is boring... but besides that he's been on ya girl like white on rice lately." She winked earning a slight eye roll from both Delilah and Raheem.

" Girl seriously...what about Leon? The biracial from Frank's ?"

Her mouth dropped for she had forgot all about the outing that they were having. " Damn... I mean he's fine he probably forgot anyway, he'll find somebody else." She waved the topic off dismissively.

" Plus don't be judging me, boys do the same damn thing. Who says I can't play the game?" Valentina smirked as they continued their trip to Barbra's where her sister remained.

When reaching the salon the girls entered while Raheem sat on the bench nearby.

" Good afternoon ladies the entertainment is here." Valentina announced as they approached Alyssa who was finishing up her client's hair.

" Oh god, look I'm almost done Tina, don't get to clowning." Alyssa pointed with her fine tooth comb.

Tina threw her hands in the air." I won't, I won't but Square is outside so chop chop before he tries to go home."

" Raheem? Man if Delilah don't got that boy wrapped around her pinky." Alyssa chuckled curling the last bit of the lady's hair.

" No, don't start that, trust me I had enough of it from Tina." Delilah rolled her eyes.

" Look I'm sorry sis but there's no denying that he follows you around like a lost puppy."

Barbra then decided to join into the conversation. " Mm I remember when I was in high school. His father was just like him, ran after me throughout our four years of school. It runs in the family I guess. I'm just glad he found love, I broke his heart...when I started dating Darius. "

" Well I heard that Cherry left him, took their little girl with her too." One of the other workers chimed in.

Barbra gasped. " She left? Why?"

" Well I don't know this for sure cause you know people talk, but I heard through the grapevine that she left him to be with another man. Some even said she took little Chloe with her because she was the other man's baby all along."

The girls looked at each other in disbelief, shock coursing through Delilah as she attempted to process things. She didn't know what to say, so she listened to their gossip until Alyssa collected her money and clocked out for her break.

...

The walk to The Spot, Frank's, was silent for the most part but when around Valentina silence never remained for long.  She was always the ice breaker during moments like this.

" So ugh like I was telling Lilah, there's this fine ass jock I'm kinda feeling right now. His name is Troy."

Alyssa's face scrunched. " Troy? Girl last time I checked you were all on that knucklehead Khalil."

" Khalil? As in Khalil Khalil?" Delilah questioned." What about Leon?"

" Now who in the hell is Leon?–"

" Anyways!" Valentina blurted as the four teens entered their favorite dining place, Frank's Spot, or as they liked to call it , The Spot.

" I knew I was forgetting to tell you something Lilah...During my lunch, Troy and these other people were talking bout this new joint that opened up a few weeks ago called the Green Light or something like that." She said as we took our seats in our usual booth.

" Oh yeah. You mean the LimeLight?"
Alyssa began as she scanned the menu ( even though she'd order the same thing every time).

" Yeah that. They said it's slamming, I'm talking the hottest music, people, the whole shebang."

" Hm I think the girls at Barbra's was talking about going there tonight."

" Tonight? Hell yeah, I'm down." Valentina broadly smiled Delilah's way and immediately Delilah shook her head.

" You must be remedial if you think I'm gonna be stuck in the house the entire summer like the last time we did something like this.."

Valentina's face scrunched in confusion.

" Freshmen year, the Senior house party, I know you didn't forget." Delilah glared.

Alyssa chuckled with a nodding head. " Oh yeah, that was the first and last time I ever want to get flashed by you again Tina."

" Freshmen year? Wh–When did all of this happen? " Raheem questioned causing Valentina to laugh in remembrance.

" Oh shit, at Marco's place? Man we tore that motherfucker down...well before y'all old mans dragged both of y'all out at least. Ha you could've been there too, Square, if you wasn't such a ...square." Valentina began until Frank swung by their table with a warm smile and a tray of shakes.

Frank was an elderly chubby, dark skinned man with a head full of gray hairs.  He was a sweetheart and was known around as the neighborhood's grandpa.

" How you young ones doing today?" He questioned earning smiles from them as Alyssa answered him. 

" Good and you old man?"

" As good as an old man could be." He humorously stated as he placed the drinks down. " I'll bring the food out soon as possible." He said before glancing over to Raheem.

The girls came there on a regular... So regularly that Frank memorized the orders.  Luckily they never had the taste for something new.  

" I'm sorry , what would you like?"

" Just a water." Raheem replied and almost immediately everyone's head snapped towards him.

" That's it?" Frank questioned, practically stealing the words from Delilah's mouth. When he nodded Frank's face scrunched as he walked away, leaving them back to their conversation.

" Now back to this Limelight." Alyssa said taking a sip of her strawberry shake.

Raheem's jaw clenched immediately at the mention. " Isn't there an age limit to this place or something?" He questioned resulting in a sharp glare from Alyssa and Valentina.

" Duh there is cornball but Troy told me that he's tight with one of the guards..." Valentina started before leaning towards the girls. " Plus if we look sexy enough they'll definitely let us slide."

" Good then it's set." Alyssa smiled. Raheem shook his head towards Delilah.

" I don't know about this. Don't tell me you're going."

Valentina's eyes narrowed at him. " Oh she's coming. It won't be the same without her."

" Right Honey it'll be fun, if you don't like it guess what, you never have to go again." Alyssa nodded.

Valentina agreed immediately. " Picture it girl... us sixteen year olds kicking it at a club! It'll be fucking far out."

" No it won't it'll just be plain stupid." Raheem spat in defense. " She can't-Y'all can't...Who knows what kind of pushers and other criminals lurk that place. It's not safe."

" Chill out chump,all in her ass." Tina scoffed shooing him off dismissively. " Now my girl is going, she needs to break out of her shell... ain't that right Lilah? ....Delilah?" She could see the doubt in her best friend's eyes and groaned at the sight.

" Please girl, don't let his ass scare you. We live in the Bronx– there's criminals everywhere. If we die then at least we were having a good ass time before it happened." She stated causing Delilah's eyes to widen.

" And that was supposed to convince me?"

" I was joking, I was joking."

Delilah stared at her fingers as the rest of them anticipated her answer. " Look I– I think Heem's gotta point, it's not a good idea."

" Awe hell nah." Both Valentina and Alyssa groaned unexpectedly yet Raheem had felt a massive weight lift from his stomach.

" Honey, please. I'll make sure you're covered, just come kick it with us." Alyssa pleaded her best plea. Delilah bit the inside of her lip as she thought, deep down she was curious to see what it would be like.

" Fine, I'll go." She threw her hands up as she reached for her chocolate shake.

" You'll what–" He exclaimed just as Frank came by with his water.

Delilah waited until he left before turning to Raheem who sat beside her. " Heem, there's no use of me going back and forth with them."

Valentina smirked deviously. " You heard her dork, you either get down with the get down or bounce." Valentina pointed towards the door.

Raheem gazed at her sharply. " Shut up."  He mumbled earning chuckles from them.

Delilah shook her head. " Since I'm on board now.. what on earth am I gonna wear? None of my clothes are fit for a place like that." Delilah leaned back on the cushioned seat.

Alyssa took a sip of her shake as she waved her finger Valentina's way. " Right on. Those church dresses and shit definitely won't cut it."

Valentina shook her head. " Don't worry. I'll figure something out...I got some clothes stashed away that I can't fit but didn't feel like returning."

" Mm...nah I'll get her something at the strip, I don't want my sister looking like a streetwalker in your shit."

Valentina's mouth dropped. " Oh come on, you guys act like I'm a full blown slut."

" I mean you are." Raheem blurted unintentionally, his mouth clamping shut at the sight of her hard gaze. While Delilah and Alyssa succeeded in retaining their laughter. 

Frank then reappear with the food to their surprise for it came quite fast. They said their Thanks before he left with a smile. Valentina's smile fading immediately as she glared back to Raheem.

He swallowed as she pointed at him. " For your information I'm not, just because I walk dogs by their leashes don't mean shit...Dogs meaning the male species if you didn't catch my drift."

" Not all of us are dogs." He partly mumbled as he gazed over at Delilah, who focused on getting the thick shake to ease through her straw. " Some of us are made for one person and one person only."

" Ugh your desperateness is cringeworthy." Valentina mugged him before her eyes then glanced over his shoulders towards the door.

" Oh shit." Tina's eyes widened at the biracial hunk that entered, adjusting his uniform collar. " Yo...uh un it's time to go, Leon just clocked in." She bagged her food hastily as the rest of them laughed at her panicked state.

...

Delilah

" I can't believe you ran from that boy like that." I cackled along with Alyssa.

" All I heard was Jewelz, Wait up, Slow down, What's the rush?" Alyssa continued teasing as we made our way down to our street earning many eyes rolls and excuses from Valentina.

Eventually, Raheem said his byes to me before splitting from us. He seemed to be in deep thought since we left Frank's, possibly because of what I was told at Barbra's. I wondered if it was truth in what Ms.Alex, one of Barbra's beauticians, heard through the grapevine but knowing how people are ...the truth was always twisted into a ridiculous exaggeration.

...

Upon reaching my apartment building I spotted my father heading out the door with a briefcase and a small bag as a taxi awaited him on the curb.

" Pops!" Alyssa blurted towards him, he glanced over to the three of us. A slight smile then supplanting his previous expression.
" Where you going? "

" Last minute business trip so choir practice may be canceled tomorrow it's up to your mother, I should be back Sunday afternoon." He assured us as I glanced over at the girls, peeping the excitement they attempted to hide.

" Alright then have a nice trip." She smiled as he kissed Alyssa and I on the cheek before getting into the taxi that soon drove off.

" See Lilah, now all we have to do is get past momma."

" Get past me for what?" We then heard from behind us. 

I was too anxious to even think about speaking– considering what happened the last time we snuck behind our folks back ...so I concluded that it'd be ideal to let Alyssa do all the talking.

" Choir practice...Daddy said that it was up to you if it's canceled or not."

" Hm, well I work a late shift tonight so getting up at the ass crack of dawn isn't an option for me.. in other words it's canceled."

I felt myself exhale once she chuckled, hearing simply that made me feel guilty for deceiving her, Alyssa on the other hand smiled brightly, I could practically sense how ecstatic she was.

Dad suddenly going on a last minute business trip and Momma working a late shift on the night we intended on sneaking out. It was perfect...a little too perfect for me.

I entered the building alone for Alyssa caught a ride from mother back to Barbra's.

My mother was a doctor at the hospital downtown, Roosevelt HealthCenter. Within the two years of us living here she saved lives and helped several women around the way give birth. She was well respected and favored by many along with my father who was the preacher and also a banker.

My siblings and I were expected to be golden children and follow in behind their footsteps.
However, I had no desire to go off to college for years of my youth to be a doctor or even a banker and I surely wasn't gonna be a preacher's wife like my father planned for me...he didn't believe in women being preachers.

Some roles are meant for men and men only. His words rung in my head. Well I definitely wasn't gonna marry a man like that, so caught up in " the power of being a man" and " his manhood" and in my opinion preachers were just that.

Claiming to be a follower in behind the forgiving lord's footsteps yet they remain one of the most judgmental group of people on the planet. I witnessed it first hand and I refuse to give myself to one for the rest of my life.

I had other things in mind for myself. I wanted to sing, and not just in the church's choir.

No.

I wanted to be remembered, so the world could know that I was here, but I was the timid, sweet, soft spoken 'Honey' that was bound to her family's church and her father's word.

He believed that Gospel music was the way to God and any other genre was nothing but music to Satan's ears.

A soft sigh escaped my lips as I crawled into my bed. Venturing into my nightstand for my song journal. My lips twisted into a grin as I skimmed through the numerous incomplete ideas.

Nearly all my life I had this passion burning inside of me for music. Some days a rhythm found itself trapped in my mind, and I couldn't ignore them if I tried. Today was one of those days. A slow, relaxing melody that rang in my head ever since last week.

" I want to be free, free, free
And I just got to be me, me, me. " I sang lightly to the myself. My fingers pausing from writing once my mind went blank. There was so much inside of me, so much I tried to hide. It was like another me yearned to be free but how can one be free without the key?

I pushed my thoughts to the side along with the notebook before spreading my schoolwork across my bed in attempts to study. Yet after a few minutes, my eyes became heavy and once they closed, I didn't have the strength to open them.

...

Hours later her eyes shot open at the sound of her doorbell. Quickly she glanced towards the window to see that the sun had already settled. It seemed to her that she only closed her eyes for five minutes.

Her eyes blinked a few times as she walked down the hallway, it's only light source being the glowing television in the living room.

"Coming." She announced once it rung a second time. The clock read 7:36 pm and she began to wonder who it could be.

" Honey it's me, Betty." She heard the nosy woman next door say resulting in an eye roll from her before she opened the door, flashing her best convincing smile.

" Um hey, Ms. Betty what are you doing here?"

" Oh, Your mother didn't tell you? She wanted me to watch over the house tonight while she's out." She informed Delilah, barging in as if she owned the place.

" Watch? Like a babysitter?"

" Well at first I was supposed to come babysit your jughead brother but he's with his grandma."

" Grandma? Why couldn't he just go with our aunt Dorthy?"

" Girl she's out of town, ya cousins over there too, and don't even ask about your uncle Curtis...lord knows what his fine ass is up to." She kissed her lips earning an inner grimace from Delilah.

" Look just think of it as me keeping you company." She smiled, placing her purse down on the kitchen table. " Anyways you hungry baby?"

" Um no not really–"

" Good, my show come on in five minutes." Ms.Betty exclaimed as she found her home in Delilah's living room.

She stood there for a minute, eyeing the obnoxious woman who flicked through the channels.

This can't be happening. She thought to herself, making her way towards the phone near her bedroom.

It rang a total of four times before Alyssa answered. " Barbra's Glamorous Styles how may I help you?"

" Um Alyssa we have a problem." Delilah huffed causing Alyssa to look around before talking in a lower voice.

" What's going on?"

" Ms.Betty that's what. Momma made her babysitter for the night. How on earth am I gonna sneak away from the nosiest woman in the Bronx?"

Alyssa cursed under her breath as she shook her head. " Shit man...Okay just relax, I stopped by the house earlier while you were sleep to drop off something I got for you. I talked to Tina already and she's good to go. Just wait it out okay you know her other profession besides being in peoples' business is sleeping."

Delilah could hear the loud cackling of Ms.Betty who continued to holler and laugh at whatever she was watching. She shook her head. " From the looks of it she won't be going to sleep for a long while. Look just go without me."

Alyssa sighed before glancing back to her client who sat under the dryer that so happened to cut off seconds later. " Alright I gotta go but if you change your mind just look in your closet. We're meeting by the stairway behind our building." Alyssa hung up moments after causing Delilah to turn on the balls of her feet in plans of lying back down, but those plans were soon ruined by Ms.Betty suggesting that she joined her.

She wouldn't mind if they were watching ' Good Times' , 'What's Happening' , or ' The Jefferson's' ... she wouldn't even mind watching ' The Love Boat' but no, instead she was stuck watching reruns of ' Where The Heart Is'.

By far the most disgusting soap opera she had ever seen. A dysfunctional family full of secrets and a girl's incestual feelings for her own brother.

" Oh no this bitch didn– This bitch is trifling! Just down right trifling!" Ms.Betty exclaimed next to the irritated Delilah whose right ear rang for the fourth time.

" Um I'll be right back."

Ms. Betty nodded, her eyes glued to the television as she ate a handful of popcorn.

" Oh and while you at it, get me that Corona I put in the refrigerator, suga. Lord knows I don't need it but hell everybody knows weekends are the cheat days."

Delilah nodded.

It was clear as day that Betty didn't have plans to go to sleep anytime soon. Delilah could still hear her loud outburst and laughter as she entered her parents' bedroom.

" It has to be in here somewhere." She mumbled to herself as she searched through her mother's pills until she found what she needed.

A smile appeared on Betty's face as Delilah appeared with her sparkling Corona, and it was indeed sparked. " Thanks Honey you're the sweetest little thang."

Delilah smiled as she watched her take a swig of it.

Now all I have to do is wait. She thought to herself and surely after a long dreadful hour. The sound of soft snoring was heard beside her.

...

Delilah let out a sigh of relief as the hot shower water eased her body and once finished cleansing herself she exited the bathroom in her fuzzy slippers and her towel wrapped around her body.

She now sat on her bed, body moisturized with her favorite Shea butter lotion and clothed in her silk gown. Thoughts of leaving began to flood her mind causing her eyes to glance over to the clock that read 9:24 pm.

Her mind screamed for her to stay confined in her room, but she had enough of listening to her doubts.

What was life without risks, right?

She then thought of what Raheem stated at Frank's. ' Who knows what kind of pushers and other criminals lurk that place. It's not safe.'

Then her eyes wandered to her closet as she pondered her final decision.

...

The time was now 10:00 on the dot.
Behind the building remained Valentina as she glanced left to right in her fancy club attire, her wavy hair down her exposed back as she clenched onto her clutch.

" Hey there sexy lady can I take you for a ride?"  The deepish voice said from behind her, she turned around in disgust until meeting face to face with the laughing Alyssa.

" Girl you need to stop playing I almost pepper sprayed yo ass." They chuckled together before eyeing each other's outfits.

" Oo you look good ma. Do a spin." Valentina snapped her fingers as she admired the skintight romper Alyssa sported.

Alyssa spun slowly one time before turning again counter clockwise, giggling slightly before returning the compliment. " Shit I can say the same about you. Girl where did you get this dress?" A gasp escaped her mouth as she felt the silky material.

Valentina chuckled, indicating that her new boy toy Troy had bought it for her with a playful wink. This caused Alyssa's eyes to narrow into slits. She always suspected the worst when boys randomly pampered Valentina with expensive things.

" Mm." She eyed her from head to toe. " and in exchange for what exactly?"

Valentina waved her off. " Girl please he's gonna have to do a lot more to get in these panties...well if I was wearing any." She added earning a harsh nudge from Alyssa.

" You're disgusting."

" Yeah , yeah, yeah tell me something I don't know. Like where the hell is Lilah?" Tina questioned with extended arms.

Alyssa shook her head, breaking the news to her that she wasn't coming which resulted in an outburst of a million questions.

" Well what the hell you expect me to do? She's being held captive by Nosy Betty. Momma sent her to watch over the house."

" Damn. Something just had to get fucked up." Valentina bit her lip in irritation. ".. I guess we can still kick it, that's probably Troy right now." She stated at the sound of a car beeping three times as discussed between them over the phone. He'd hunk three times as a signal that he was outside.

They began to walk until suddenly a familiar voice blurted from behind them.

" Oh so my girls leaving without me now?" Delilah smirked as the girls both held identical expressions of shock.

" Maldita! Delilah Lashay Smith!" Valentina squealed as she latched her arm to her best friend. " You look amazing girl."

" As I pictured, her big sisters got taste...yeah I know." Alyssa bragged as she latched to her other arm. " but seriously how did you–"

" Ms. Betty's Corona and one of mom's sleeping pills or two." Delilah smiled, with feigning innocence as she watched their eyes bulge immediately.

" Okay who is this and what did you do to my little sista?" Alyssa began until the car horn was heard again before Troy's 1970 challenger was seen backing up into their view.

" Damn ladies are you coming or what?"

" Oh shut up chauffeur and get us to where we need to be." Valentina teased as she hopped into the passengers' seat, immediately attacking his lips with heated kisses.

The sounds of their lips smacking together repeatedly made Alyssa and Delilah glance at each other with widened eyes.

Alyssa cleared her throat in attempts to get their attention. " Um hey pornstars, I thought we had places to be?" Her head jerked forward causing them to laugh as he soon drove off.

...

As we arrived to the scene. My eyes widened at the sight of the line, the line that stretched around half the building.

I smacked my lips. " Now how are we gonna get by this line?"

" Girl what line? Trust me we're walking right past that. Ain't that right sexy?" Valentina nudged Troy who smiled at her words.

" That's right babygirl." He smirked confidently but that all changed when one of the many guards pointed us to the back of the line.

" Oh come on man...you know me." Troy pleaded, resulting in laughter from the buff man dressed in the formal black and white suit.

" Troy what the fuck? I thought you said you had this?" Tina scoffed, shoving him out the way before he could even utter a word.

Boldly she marched up to one of the guards whose back was now faced towards hers, that was until she tapped him. " So you mean to tell me some list is stopping the three hottest chicks in the Bronx from getting into this so-called club?" Valentina sassed.

Right about now I wanted to go crawl somewhere and hide. Especially once the guards eyed her down until finally one of them exited the club– hitting a double take her way before he spoke.

" Jewelz? Yo.. Jewelz long time no call.." He finished bitterly although he seemed happy to see her at first. He stood tall, light complected, and looked to be about in his late twenties. He was far from attractive in my book.

" Oh Tony, what's good?–"

" The name's Romell." He glared hardly.

I internally shook my head at the scene unfolding in front of me. Unbelievable...just unbelievable. I'm convinced Valentina has played nearly half the men in the Bronx.

I watched as she smirked. " Oh come on don't be like that." She said as one of the guards began to back her up.

" Mm way to get us in Tina. " Alyssa scoffed causing the same guard to glance our way again.

" Jewelz." He motioned for her to come to him. I couldn't hear what he was mumbling to her of course but the smirk on her face gave me confirmation that something positive had happened.

I watched anxiously as she walked back towards us. " So, What did he say?" I questioned as her eyes converted to Alyssa.

" Well he said he'll work something out if you know...Alyssa gave him–"

" Me, Who, What? Give him what?" Alyssa blurted placing her hands on her hips. " Yo ass is not bouta pimp me out for no damn entrance to a club."

" Lyssa he just wants a way to contact you."

" Like that's a good idea." Alyssa's eyes narrowed as she looked over to the guard. He was staring at her like a dog stared at a piece of meat.

" Girl I didn't say you had to give him the real number... come on think. I do it all the time."

Alyssa bit her lip before nodding and to my surprise, she swayed her way over to him without a single hesitation.

I felt my face scrunch as the man's eyes practically undressed my sister. She smiled at him causing him to poke the slight dimple on her left cheek.

And after throwing a few pathetic compliments her way–He then ripped a piece of paper from the clipboard and Alyssa gently took the pen from his hand before quickly writing something down.

" Alright, let them in." He demanded as one of them unhooked the rope, the others in the crowd complaining about how long they've waited and how fast we got in.

Valentina smirked, hooking her arms to ours as we entered the curtain. My eyes catching a glimpse of one of the guards winking at me as we past by.

" You lucky I didn't leave your ass in the dust." Valentina glanced at Troy, a smile plastered across her face although her tone was serious.

The room flashed vibrant colors, the dance floor full of people showing their moves to Parliament's Flashlight.

I was stunned by the many men that looked my way...Both Valentina and Alyssa seemed to be soaking the attention up but me...I found it quite uncomfortable.

God, why did I come here? I thought to myself as we settled by the bar, eyes glancing around the room.

" Three shots of tequila for the ladies." Troy said causing me to turn around just as he handed a wad of money the man's way. My eyes slightly widened at the encounter I'm sure I wasn't supposed to see.

" Make them Martinis instead." Valentina smirked as her attention went back to the people.

Troy had to hand the man at least two grand. But for what? Drinks? If money could buy four teenagers alcohol then why didn't he pay the guards to let us in? Something told me that was covering more than just three drinks. 

"Aye, what's up with you?" Alyssa suddenly nudged me, I snapped from my thoughts as she handed me the Martini and reluctantly I grabbed it and bravely took a shallow. It's taste unlike nothing I had before... the definition of disgusting.

I shook my head handing her the drink and proudly she accepted with a giggle. " Aye you good?"

" Ugh, how can y'all just drink that like it's nothing?" I questioned, fighting the slight burning in my throat.

She laughed telling me that I just wasn't used to the taste yet. But I'm not sure I wanted to get used to it, I'd rather eat my aunt Dorthy's cooking than to try that again.

I began to feel a knot form in my stomach as I caught glimpses of men eyeing me down all over the place. " Nah, Lyssa I don't know about this. All these grown men keep staring at me and... I shouldn't have came."

" Girl chill. Have you seen yourself? Of course men are gonna be drooling over you... as long as they don't touch. Trust me I got something for them if they do." Alyssa waved her clutch earning a suspicious eye from me, yet that didn't change the fact that I wanted to leave.

I should've listened to Raheem. I found myself thinking as I turned away from the crowd in the spinning chair, that was until something was said over the speakers that had everyone migrating towards the front for some unknown reason.

" What's going on?" I turned my head as Valentina paused from her kissing session with Troy.

She shrugged standing from his lap. " Shit I don't know les see."

Alyssa took my hand before I could decline, dragging me towards the stage area when the only place I wanted her to drag me was out the door.

A/N

How are you enjoying this so far? Thoughts on Delilah, Valentina, Alyssa or anyone else?

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

151K 6.6K 73
⚠️ Copyright © 2018 by IntenseArt. This is an original story. All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in...
85.6K 1K 32
"𝙎𝙖𝙬 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙚 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙄 𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙤𝙝 𝙢𝙮 𝙜𝙤𝙙, 𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙖𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙛𝙖𝙘𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙡𝙤𝙤𝙠 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙢𝙮 𝙣𝙚𝙭𝙩 𝙢𝙞𝙨𝙩𝙖...
6.1K 331 8
|| 2022 MJFAs FINALIST ; BEST SHORT STORY || 𝑨 𝑴𝑰𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑬𝑳 𝑱𝑨𝑪𝑲𝑺𝑶𝑵 𝑹𝑶𝑴𝑨𝑵𝑪𝑬 𝑺𝑯𝑶𝑹𝑻 𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑹𝒀 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒓𝒂 **MATURE C...
235K 5.3K 86
✔️COMPLETED✔️ MJFA 2019 WINNER 2018 FINALIST #wattys2019 |#1 in MJFanfiction| |#1 in Moonwalker| |#1 in MichaelJackson| ^^ Highest Ranks^^ This isn't...