The Music We Make ✔️

By greyfarrell

Cora Steele is a girl with talents to die for. Drew Bates is a guy with talents he would die to get rid of. ... More

Prologue
1. Stupid Rich School
2. Are You A Treble Clef?
3. Baboons
4. The Perfect Pair
5. Math Disturbs Me
6. Operation Jody
7. The Performance
8. It Wasn't An Accident
9. Nightmares And Hustling
10. Corey VS Andrew
11. Apologies
12. I Meant To Say That Out Loud
13. We're American
14. Dinner With The Bates
15. Accusations
16. You're The Prettiest Ogre I've Ever Seen
17. Corey VS Andrew Part Two
18. Answers And Promises
19. Mini Putt
20. Down By The Bay
21. He Noticed
22. Panic Attacks And Snowball Fights
24. Serious Talk
25. Carpool And Karaoke
26. Peter Bryerson
27. Wake Up
Bonus Chapter: Wake Up
28. All About Us
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter: Introductions
Other Books!

23. I'll Always Protect You

7.3K 355 104
By greyfarrell

The rest of the weekend was spent doing research about the suspicious death of the guy Drew vaguely recognized, Peter Bryerson, and studying for exams.

And the whole week was spent doing said exams.

Now it was the next weekend and there was a weight off my shoulders. I didn't have to worry about exams anymore and we got a week off of school so the only thing I had to focus on was finding out who killed my family.

I also told Drew about when I went back to my house after fighting with him during Christmas break, and the brick being thrown through the window with a message on it.

He wasn't very happy that I waited so long to tell him, and he hadn't left my side much since.

I looked over at Drew now, mindlessly strumming his guitar and humming an unfamiliar tune as I scrolled through web pages on my laptop about Bryerson Tech and Peter Bryerson.

Drew wasn't helping because he was against me risking my life to find out the truth. He couldn't stop me from looking for answers but with him not helping it would take me twice as long to figure everything out.

I understood where he was coming from, if the roles were reversed I wouldn't want him risking his life, but I needed to get justice for my family, even if it was the last thing I ever did.

"What's that song called?" I asked when it ended and he started playing it again.

Drew shrugged, "I don't know."

I smiled and trained my eyes back on my laptop, "It's good."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw his beautiful smile spread across his face, and my heart warmed. I loved that smile.

I took a quick peek at the time on my computer screen and saw that it was 10:20 at night. Damn, Drew was probably going to leave soon.

Usually I wouldn't mind too much, but Sky left today to go home for the week we got off of school, so I was alone in my room every night for the whole break.

A knock at my door pulled me out of my panicked thoughts before they could get out of hand, and I was grateful for the distraction.

Without thinking, I got up from my bed where we were both sat, and answered the door. Only to find that no one was there.

I peeked my head into the hallway to see if I could see anyone retreating but there was no one in sight.

Then an envelope on the ground caught my attention.

Not again.

I quickly scooped it up and locked the door behind me before sitting back down on my bed.

"Again?" Drew asked, but it was more of a statement.

I briefly looked up at him and saw his jaw was clenched in anger as he was glared down at the mail in my hand.

I slowly opened the envelope and took out the note, but that wasn't all that was in there this time.

A picture also fell out.

A picture of me in my dorm room, probably taken from outside my window.

"Oh god." I whispered, terrified by what it meant.

The person threatening had been here, outside my window. Spying on me.

With shaky hands I unfolded the letter and read it.

Do you ever do as you're told? I said to stop looking and what do you do? Try harder to find out who I am!

This is your last warning. I see everything you do, everything you search up. You can't fool me. Stop looking for answers or you're dead.

My heartbeat sped up, and just like last week, my lungs felt like they weren't getting enough air.

"Look at me Cora, focus on my eyes." Drew coaxed, appearing in front of me.

I tried to do as instructed but all I could focus on was the lack of oxygen I was getting and my roaring heartbeat in my ears.

"We're gonna play a little game, okay?" Drew said, getting my attention again.

I weakly nodded as I attempted to suck in air.

"Name five things you can see."

I have him a confused look and he just looked back at me, waiting for my answer.

My eyes darted around the room and I named the first things I saw, "You, my laptop, my bed, my lamp, and my family picture."

After I was done speaking I continued to work at getting air into my lungs.

"Good, now four things you can touch." He instructed.

"My blanket, my clothes, my phone, and you." I whispered, and the air started ever so slightly filling my lungs.

Drew nodded, "Three things you can hear."

This time my response was almost immediate, "Music, your voice, and my heartbeat."

"Two things you can smell."

I sniffed the air before replying, "You and me."

A small smile formed on his lips at he again spoke, "One thing you can taste."

My smile mirrored his as I answered, "Pizza." Finally able to breathe easily again.

"Come here." Drew said, opening his arms for a hug.

I gladly embraced him, feeling warm and safe when he wrapped his arms around me.

"Please don't leave me." I begged, realizing that it was late and he could leave at any minute.

He hugged me tighter, "I won't."

I relaxed into his arms as he leaned back so we were comfortably laying down on my bed. Nothing felt better than being in his arms.

I closed my eyes, all fears gone because when Drew was holding me, nothing could hurt me.

As I drifted to sleep I nuzzled into the crook of his neck and I felt him press his lips to the top of my head.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •

I opened my eyes with a smile on my face. That was the best sleep I'd had in months. No nightmares, no restlessness, just a deep refreshing sleep.

"Morning." Drew greeted me, his voice deeper than usual from having just woken up.

I turned in his arms so I was facing him and beamed a bright smile his way.

"I didn't picture you to be a morning person." He commented, a small smile of his own playing on his lips.

"I'm not usually." I admitted, sitting up to fully wake myself up.

I felt the bed shift as Drew also sat up, and placed a hand on my back.

"How are you, are you okay?" He asked, the sudden topic change taking me by surprise.

I turned to face him and shrugged, "Things have been tough lately but you're helping a lot."

His expression relaxed from his concerned one and he gave me a lazy smile.

"Let's go get something to eat. I'm starving." I suggested, bouncing out of bed and then attempting to pull him up after me, which I failed to do. The guy weighed a ton.

He chuckled as he got up all by himself.

"Let me just use the bathroom and then we can go, okay?"

I nodded at his request and once he was in the bathroom I quickly changed out of my sweatpants and tank top and into a pair of black leggings and a grey hoodie.

I also had time to quickly brush through my hair and put it up into a ponytail before Drew got out.

"Ready to go?" He asked, walking towards the door.

I grabbed my keys and nodded.

Once I had locked the door behind us Drew surprised me by grabbing my hand and interlocking our fingers.

My stomach fluttered as a spark shot through my hand at the contact.

I happily swung our hands as we made our way to the cafeteria. I didn't know why I was in such a good mood but I was in no position to question it.

As we got our food I started to wonder what everything going on between Drew and I meant. We kissed, only the one time but that certainly wasn't a kiss between two friends. And we were always together, which made me feel safe and happy, and I think Drew enjoyed it too.

Not to mention the fact that he was always so amazing when I got upset, and knew exactly how to calm me down when I was having a panic attack.

"Get enough food?" Drew teased, bringing me out of my thoughts.

I looked down at my tray of food sheepishly. I decided to get breakfast sausages, hash browns, pancakes, and a couple waffles. Maybe I went a little over board, but if I didn't eat it all I knew Drew would gladly finish it off. That was one of the best things about having him around, I never wasted food because he ate whatever I couldn't finish.

"You should be happy I got this much food, more for you." I pointed out, grabbing my fork to stab a sausage.

"Very true." Drew agreed, digging into his own food.

He just got cereal and a bagel, probably knowing that he was going to get half of my food.

I was maybe a quarter of the way through my breakfast when I felt a pair of eyes on me. It was so distracting that I stopped eating to find the person burning two holes into my head with their eyes. I quickly scanned the room and found Matt standing by the door, looking right at me.

I gave him a small smile and that was all he needed to start walking over to us.

When Drew noticed him he got up and met him half way, and I followed close behind.

"What do you want?" Drew hissed, his eyes shooting daggers at Matt.

I stepped in front of Drew and placed my hand on his chest, shaking my head to silently tell him that he didn't need to do that.

I felt him sigh under my hand before he went back to our table and sat down.

He was sweet to protect me like that but I really didn't need him to. It was Matt we were talking about here, he couldn't hurt a fly.

"Hey Cora, I just wanted to say sorry about last week. I thought it would be funny but it clearly wasn't. I really miss talking and hanging out with you." Matt apologized, his remorseful eyes looking into mine.

I also noticed the ghost of a bruise on his nose, Drew got him good.

I gave him a small smile, "It's okay Matt, it was just a misunderstanding and Drew overreacted. I forgive you, and I miss hanging out too. We haven't had a training session in forever, I miss my Coach Matty."

Matt visibly relaxed and a relieved smile spread across his face.

"You're the best, you know that?" He told me, outstretching his arms and pulling me in for a hug.

I laughed against his chest and pulled away a moment later.

"I have to go finish my food before it gets cold, but I'll call you later today, okay?" I told him.

Matt nodded and then we went our separate ways.

When I sat back down Drew was glaring at Matt's retreating back.

"You're just going to forgive him?" Drew demanded when Matt was out of sight, turning his angry eyes to me.

I shrugged, "It was supposed to be a joke. He didn't mean to scare me as much as he did, how was he supposed to know I'd react like that?"

Drew glared down at his food but didn't say anything. I got him there, it really wasn't Matt's fault. If anything it was my fault for not telling my friends about everything going on in my life.

"Thank you though, for protecting me." I spoke up, pushing my half eaten tray of food over to him as a peace offering.

"I'll always protect you." He muttered as he took my food, flashing me a quick smile before digging in.

I'll always protect you.

Those words alone made me feel so safe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.8K 905 34
Desi doesn't believe in love. Especially after watching her sister become the Bachelorette and get her heart embarrassingly broken on live tv. That's...
248K 5.9K 69
THIS IS NOT A BLACK MAN BLACK WOMEN BOOK! ITS BWWM! (BLACK WOMEN WHITE MAN) Brianna Taylor is a regular brown skin girl who goes to Paisley High with...
202 25 15
When Cora is running through the hall and bumps into someone, everything turns for the worse. When Evan's parents divorce and he is forced to move wi...
5.1K 170 67
"I found love where it wasn't supposed to be." . . Life is full of missed opportunities. It takes you down many paths; some strange, some amusing and...