Drowning in Fire

By Strawberry_Bliss

Luna is a girl born with the gift of controlling water. She has to hide her gift as she works as an army medi... More

Prolonge
Prince
Midnight
Pie
My queen?
An Almost Magical Beauty
Skin on Skin
Not Letting Her Die Tonight
Nightmares
Princess Lulia
The King
Beautiful Eyes
Natural Master
Nova
The Princes Mercy
Haikem
Why Does He Care?
Counting Goats
Kai's Wife?
Ceasefire
Hide and seek
Nicco
Nicco pt.2
The Kitchen
A Visit From the Princess
The Market Place
Three Hours
Prison pt. 1
Prison Pt.2
The Arena Pt.1
The Arena pt.2
Enough
Fiance
"You didn't burn me"
A kiss
The Mistresses Palace
What did he hear?
Does She Even Love You?
Frostbite

Nurse?

1.6K 85 9
By Strawberry_Bliss

The lands are split into what their land produced.

The lush isle produced and transported most of the produce in the lands. The finest apples, the sweetest berries, the tastiest vegetables. This was where the strongest and richest found their food.

The dark lands produce most of the metals used by the armies and used to build homes. The land was surrounded but mountains and caves full of precious metals.

The Isle of light is where the royal family lives. The dragons or at least what's left of them reside in the castle's training grounds where they prepare them for battles that may arise.

I live in the land of trees. and of course, by the name, we supply the city and the ones surrounding us with their lumber and tree variety.

But with the dark lands producing metal and stronger elements not many people trade with us. Our land became very poor because of this fact. Other lands began to send their criminals and poorer people to our lands and we eventually became a dumping ground.

The crimes rose significantly and many people were hurt. it became more and more unsafe to live out here. eventually, it had gotten so bad that the king had pity and placed a soldiers camp in our town.

we thought that it would be safer for us to head out but the soldiers did not care to protect most of us. Instead, they separated the rich from the poor, freaks, and immigrants. the pushed us closer to the forest and the many harmful creatures that lived in it. they built a wall to separate us and used us to harvest the lumber and do the work for the people who didn't want to. we tailored their clothes, and carved beautiful statues, we were even hired to go into their homes and make their food.

we were seen as less than and often had to avoid being confronted by the people who lived in the city. If you are caught by them no matter what keep your eyes on the floor and hope they are in a good mood even if they are criticizing you.

which is what I am trying to do right now

I was following the trail of ants eating the remains of a biscuit they found with my eyes. They climb over rocks and through the many cracks on the floor. I frown as the person in front of me stomps their foot smashing a few of the ants and causing chaos for the rest of the line. They scatter trying to find a safe route again.

I was forced back into reality with harsh words I heard in front of me

" Do you think that because you work with our soldiers that you are any better than us" a short woman with beautiful braided hair and tons of jewelry sneered

"you probably slept your way to the top"

"just don't let me catch you talking to my husband"

the women surrounded me hurling insults and swearing. I kept my eyes trained to the ground pulling my scarf further up my head to make sure my hair was covered.

they continued to yell insults and many of the other people I recognize from my village either tried to avoid my glance or laughed at how I was being embarrassed.

their insults were interrupted by the sound of someone clearing their throat

"Ladies our camp really needs our medic what would happen if one of us were hurt and we didn't have anyone to tend to our injuries."

I tried to hide my smirk knowing that the soldiers would rather live with a broken neck than visit me.

"Sorry, Kent she was being reckless and not paying attention to where she was going and bumped into me making me drop my biscuit." one of the ladies explained flashing her eyelashes and smiling.

I nearly laughed outside at the drastic change in her attitude

" well I am sorry about that allow me to treat you to a new biscuit tomorrow morning ms-" he said pausing because he didn't know her name

"Sahari," she said very excitedly

" See you tomorrow" kent smiled nudging my elbow signaling that we were leaving.

After walking for a while we looked back to see if the coast was clear

chuckles began to pour from my throat and then my laughter was soon joined by Kent.

" what were you thinking about before you bumped into her" he chucked out

"Well I just was admiring the solid housing out here and how nice the quality was. and I may or may not have seen Nate sneaking around with Cerian again" I stated boldly

Kent and I help a serious faces for a minute before we busted out into laughter again.

I couldn't help but admire how handsome she was. He had an obvious soldier's build, wide shoulders, and intense muscles. He had strong intense features with tanned skin and dark brown hair that framed his face perfectly.

It took me a while to get used to how handsome he was but not as long as it took for me to trust him as a soldier and as a friend.

" They are so obvious," we both said at the same time then burst out in a fit of laughter once again

"well, what's the plans for today," I ask wanting to know what my day will look like.

"I was thinking about suggesting we practice our hand-to-hand combat today with the new soldiers so we may need you out of the office" I watched the way how he weaved through the crowd yet still created a space for me to walk beside him.

"ugh the new trainees are so terrible and yet so arrogant"

that also explains the royal dragon that flew in earlier this morning.

"but I know you think they're kind of cute"

Kent raised the pitch of his voice to sound like the girls from earlier earning an irritated eye roll

"even if they are it won't change a thing" the irritation slightly seeped into my voice as I answered him without hesitation.

His face hardened at my response and our once silly conversation turned serious.

"Luna seriously why won't you settle down and marry"

Kent knows that my status would change if I married someone with a higher status. he knows that I would be able to live in the safety of the village walls and be treated with a little more respect.

"Because Rosalinda is still in school and someone needs to pay even if she is a pain in the ass" I stopped to look at him, to let him know that I am okay with my decision

he had a hint of sadness in his eyes knowing that Rosalinda was not my only reason. he knows there is nothing left for me

"but what about what you want now"

he licked his lips looking down at me. Suddenly I felt as if I was in a confined space, the air felt thicker than before

"I have what I want, a stable job." he rolled his eyes at my response folding his arms and looking away. I had to hold in my laugh in, he looked like a baby

"And a great friend," I said nudging his side with my body, his side eye was killer but filled with slight amusement

"and freedom"

he knows how much I love the forest and not having to follow some of the harsher military rules in the city, or having a man boss me around while I become his housewife. Other women do it well and I will not shake them but I know there is so much more

I can roam outside in the mornings and collect herbs or decide to run away and never look back.

after that conversation, we walked in silence until we reached a huge white tent surrounded by a few other smaller ones.

"I need to head to the office and chop up some of the herbs I collected yesterday" interrupting the awkward silence that formed between us

" bye Kent"

I pulled the thick cloth covering the tent and walked in. Many eyes turned towards me making my shift slightly before walking towards the back where my office was.

"hey looney" I could feel the heat at my fingertips causing the room to feel more humid.

I quickly controlled my thoughts and walked toward the general. He has called me looney ever since I started working here. he may not like me but he respects and trust my ability to take care of our soldiers. However, he still finds a way to make me feel like I do not belong.

"This is our camp nurse and despite her looks, though odd, she is a damn good nurse"

his voice booms through the tent causing many of the young recruits to slightly cringe. I have gotten used to it after working with him for a few years and soon they will too

"Medic"

I whispered trying to correct his use of the word nurse

this earned a look from the general but rather than outside of this camp I had a bit more respect here so I challenge him back

he cleared his throat

"Er..uh.. Medic"

he yelled just as powerfully as before

"but she's a girl" someone in the crowd of recruits shouted.

mummers and agreement rippled through the crowd

but I wasn't even surprised. women do not work. And if we did we did not work jobs like this. we were mothers and nurturers.

seen but not heard

"She's all we have and she's good at what she does, and unless any of you guys want to roam outside of the gates to find herbs I suggest you shut up."

that threat left silence in the air

not many people can survive beyond the gates as I did.

the general began to ramble about curfew and a bunch of other rules

I decided to take that as my cue to leave

I had to prepare some cream for slight cuts and bruises.

these boys are about to be whipped into shape.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59 14 24
Kai Kai Was A Young Dragon Who Lived With His Parents, Little Baby Brother, And His Uncle. They Lived In Peace For Years Until Kai Kai's 16th Birthda...
1.1K 56 68
The current king is unsatisfied with his control. He loathes the fact that the people revere the witches' powers over his own. He openly breaks the o...
6.2K 424 24
A world where Elementals are on it's peak. everyone has one elemental power but taehyung is different and so is Jungkook. living in a world where eve...
1.8K 238 27
In an era when kingdoms rose and fell at the hands of destiny, a tale unfolded against the backdrop of war torn landscapes. At the center of this wer...