Twice The Trouble

By DenielleAbolencia

Meet the Sta. Ana Sisters: Sophia is labeled as the Goody two shoes-Twin. She lives by the rules in and out o... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: The Twins
Chapter 2: Two Non-Royal Princesses
Chapter 3: A Blind Date
Chapter 4: Starting College
Chapter 5: Foes and Friends
Chapter 6: Broken Hearts
Chapter 7: Sophia Meets A Twin
Chapter 8: Stacy Meets A Twin
Chapter 9: More Rivals
Chapter 10: The Realization
Chapter 11: A New Friend
Chapter 12: Orion's Goddess
Chapter 13: Soul Sisters
Chapter 14: Stacy's Heartbeat
Chapter 15: Sweeter Than Candy
Chapter 16: Liam's Fall
Chapter 17: She Broke Him
Chapter 18: Sibling & Therapist
Chapter 19: Give Up, Liam
Chapter 20: Tears of a Duchess
Chapter 21: Falling For Lucas
Chapter 22: Sophia's Secret
Chapter 23: Stacy's Denial
Chapter 24: The Cold Twin
Chapter 25: The Favor
Chapter 26: Lunchtime Drama
Chapter 27: The Tiff
Chapter 28: Invisible Envy
Chapter 29: Serious Stacy
Chapter 30: Love is Fire
Chapter 31: Falling
Chapter 32: The Author
Chapter 33: A Martyr
Chapter 34: Clarification
Chapter 35: Text Buddies
Chapter 36: An Old Flame
Chapter 37: Stacy's Past
Chapter 38: Falling Harder
Chapter 39: Reliable
Chapter 40: Just A Crush
Chapter 41: The Helper
Chapter 42: Not A Date
Chapter 43: About Stacy
Chapter 44: Into Pieces
Chapter 45: Sophia's Past
Chapter 46: Circumstances
Chapter 47: The Return
Chapter 48: Chained Heart
Chapter 49: The Rage
Chapter 50: War and Peace
Chapter 51: Why Me?
Chapter 52: Wrong Name
Chapter 53: Yearning
Chapter 54: Mr. & Mrs.
Chapter 55: Married
Chapter 56: Partners in Crime
Chapter 57: Chained
Chapter 58: Transition
Chapter 59: Onward
Chapter 60: Doubts
Chapter 61: Hints
Chapter 62: Call It Fate
Chapter 63: Kismet or Destiny?
Chapter 64: Warm Hearts
Chapter 65: Girl Called S
Chapter 67: Sophia's Denial
Chapter 68: A Flicker
Chapter 69: The Cage
Chapter 70: Pain
Chapter 71: Official
Chapter 72: Ships
Chapter 73: She's a Model
Chapter 74: A Pink Flower
Chapter 75: The Ex-Boyfriend
Chapter 76: Undefined Status
Chapter 77: Tarnished
Chapter 78: Dead End
Chapter 79: Who Did It?
Chapter 80: Stacy Finds Out
Chapter 81: Confrontation
Chapter 82: Heat
Chapter 83: Dancing Hearts
Chapter 84: Worry
Chapter 85: Reluctance
Chapter 86: Closer
Chapter 87: Unbearable
Chapter 88: Almost
Chapter 89: Bad Feelings
Chapter 90: The Revelation
Chapter 91: Sophia's Fury
Chapter 92: Sick Sophia
Chapter 93: Another Revelation
Chapter 94: Stacy's Abduction
Chapter 95: On The Way
Chapter 96: Rush
Chapter 97: Rescued
Chapter 98: Pain and Tears
Chapter 99: Chance Meeting
Chapter 100: A Miracle
Chapter 101: Hope vs. Fear
Final Chapter: Goodbyes
5 Months Later: Part One
5 Months Later: Part Two
Bonus Chapter: How It Started
Special Chapter: Before It All began

Chapter 66: Love Hurts

21 0 0
By DenielleAbolencia

Sophia

November has ended and December has arrived.

Two more weeks as college freshmen! Time has indeed soared by.

Final exams were officially over as of yesterday and I have a meticulous itinerary for today which is Saturday morning.

At four am, I woke up, then did the following:

I brushed my teeth, took a fast shower, changed into a green sleeveless top, long white skirt, and brown slippers. I wore my oval, rimless glasses and I let my wavy brown hair fall to my waist.

Then, I packed five sandwiches---ham and cheese, ham and egg, hotdog, bacon,and peanut butter and jelly--into a picnic basket. I also packed three bottles of water, a boxed lunch, a few bags of chips and cookies, and a small bottle of medicine, just in case I get tired or start to cough.

Okay, what else? I looked at my checklist again. Phone? Digital Camera? Check. Check. Tablet? Check. Pen and papers? Check. Binoculars? Check. Shades and Cap? Check, Check. Glass jar in case I want to collect shells or come across anything fascinating? Check.

I wonder if I was forgetting something?

Oh! Right.

I marched up to our bedroom and planted a soft kiss on my slumbering twin's forehead. She smiled in her sleep, then frowned a little, her eyes still closed, when I posted a memo on her forehead which said: At the beach until dinner. Love, Sop.

When I returned to the kitchen, I saw Mama May holding a frying pan and a spatula.

"Good morning, ma," I told her, pecking her cheek.

"Hmm. Yes, dear. Are you sure you can carry all those items?"

I looked over my shoulder at the picnic basket and dark green backpack on the counter.

"Of course I can, ma!" But even I could hear the hesitation in my voice.

Her dark eyes were dubious, but she instead told me: "How long will you be gone?"

I coughed into the back of my fist. "After sunset. I want to see it up close."

"Maybe you should take Stacy with you." She scrutinized my pale face. "You seem ill."

"I feel fine," I said.

"And the temperature's dropping, too, since it's now December," remarked my mother, who blatantly eyed me from head to foot. My arms were bare and my full white skirt was thin.

"It's not THAT chilly," I told her. "I'll be okay. Trust me, ma."

The sun would also be rising soon. I needed to leave before the clock struck five.

I planned to spend the whole day at the White Sand Beach which wasn't too far from here.

My third work finally has a title--I decided to call it "My Name Is Siren." And for me to fully make the story more authentic, I chose to experience the actual beach and ocean. The feel of the sand on my skin. The cold breeze swirling around me. The kiss of the sun and the brittle shells in my palms. I needed to witness firsthand both the sunrise and sunset. And--nobody knew this--but I intended to take a long swim in the ocean and explore the coves and tunnels of the beach.

Plus it was a good excuse to loiter around the beach. It is a cold Saturday in December. No one in their right mind would dare to think of even going outside and plunge into the cold waters.

Maybe I haven't thought this thoroughly enough.

Bah. I can't chicken out now.

"Sophia.. is something troubling you, my dear?"

I turned to face my mother's concerned expression. "It's nothing, ma. Why do you ask?"

"Because you're too skinny! If you don't eat, you'll float away like a leaf in the wind!"

I bit the inside of my cheeks as I leaned my back against the counter. "Ma, you're fussing over me too much."

"I am not." She huffed and glowered at me. "Are you having problems with your studies?"

"What? No. Ma, everything is fine at school."

"So.. what else has been on your mind, Sophia?"

I dropped my gaze to my fingers. "You know me, ma. I worry about everything."

"No amount of stress can change the future, dear." She plated some eggs and bacon and served them on the big round dining table.

I considered her words and I replied: "I know. But it seems impossible not to fear the bad things."

Mama May began to cook ham and sausages. "Well, I believe even the bad things happen for a reason. It's a hard pill to swallow. We're always going to be searching for instant resolutions."

"But maybe we suffer so that we can become stronger," she continued. "So we can understand and reach out to those who face similar hardships later on."

"It may be difficult to see right now, but perhaps it'll make sense someday." Mother smiled.

I flashed a perfunctory smile at Mama May. "I don't know what I'd do without you, ma."

"You wouldn't be eating enough, that's for sure!" I laughed and briefly hugged her.

"Hey, ma?"

"What is it, Sophia?"

"Can you tell me more about.. my biological parents?" I tenderly asked.

Mama May suddenly froze in front of the stove. I inhaled the yummy smell of ham and sizzling sausages on the frying pan. Ma May silently closed the stove and reeled around to face me.

I'm eighteen years old. Was that enough reason for me to discover more about my parents?

"Okay, I will tell you," she conceded, wiping her palms along her fruit-designed apron.

I braced myself for whatever she may tell me.

I crossed my arms, trembling from anticipation.

Mama May parted her lips to speak.

Then all at once I was pulled into a tale---Of love, rebellion, and heartbreak.

*What Happened Eighteen Years Ago*

"Anastasia Pennington, will you be my wife?" asked Stephen Sta. Ana while down on one knee.

The beautiful blonde woman had tears in her blue eyes. Her smile was radiant. "Yes, I will."

Stephen beamed at her as he stood up and cupped her face in his hands, and he kissed her lips.

"I love you so much, Anna," said Stephen. Then he smiled at her pregnant stomach. "All of you."

They were treading in dangerous territory, but neither of them cared. They were happy. They were wrapped up in bliss, standing under the moonlight, only the two of them on the rooftop of a run-down apartment building that they've been hiding in for the past three days.

Anastasia belonged to the Pennington family, one of the most omnipotent families in America. She was the only child of Margaret and Emerson Pennington, billionaire tycoons and ruthless predators in the business world.

But their daughter was not like them. She was kind, innocent, and she refused to be engaged to a man she didn't love just to merge two companies for the sake of the business empire.

No. She escaped from her mansion-arrest and eloped with her boyfriend, Stephen, whom she has secretly been in a two-year relationship with, and now they were set to marry once they fled from America.

Anna's parents were furious when they found out she was pregnant with Stephen's child. He was a humble Filipino man with strong morals, a modest income, and unconditional love for his current fiancee, who was already nine months pregnant with their twin girls. Yes, twins.

But little did the two lovers know that their happiness wasn't meant to last.

On the night that Anna and Stephen were driving to the airport to escape to the Philippines, two black cars were following them, and at an inexplicable speed.

"Stephen, I'm scared," cried the 23-year old woman in the passenger's seat.

The brown-haired, brown-eyed man behind the steering wheel reached out to touch her cheek.

"Everything will be fine," he whispered into her yellow hair. His lips kissed her temple.

Anastasia's lovely face was streaked with tears. "How are you so certain of that?"

"I'm not." Stephen's shoulders deflated but he drove fast and with caution.

"Stephen.. I love you and I want to grow old with you." Anna was sobbing uncontrollably.

"I love you, too, Anna. But please, have faith that things will work out in the end."

The young, beautiful woman couldn't stop crying into her hands. "Stephen, I want to wear a white gown and walk down the aisle and see you waiting for me at the altar. I want to give birth to our babies and cradle them in my arms. I want to have a family with you. I want to raise our daughters with you. I want to do everything with you, but I'm not sure we can."

One of the black cars violently crashed against their car, making them jump and swerve.

"Anna, we either keep driving or park somewhere and they'll end up taking you away from me."

"I don't want to lose you," she lamented.

"Anna, please."

The second car hit theirs in an angry bump which made them scream in panic.

"I don't know what to do, Stephen." Her voice cracked as she looked at her fiance.

"Just trust me." The 24-year old male held her hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Stephen.. will our babies be alright? I-I d-don't care what happens to me anymore. I just want them to live. I want you to live, too." She tightened her hold on his hand.

"All we can do is pray, Anna." Stephen gave her a smile of adoration. "Pray, and trust me."

Both glossy cars were roughing them up more and more. It was becoming harder to drive.

"Why are you smiling at me like it's the last time?" Anna leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Because I think it is." He was no longer controlling the steering wheel. His right hand was tucked in hers, and his other free hand cupped his fiancee's chin to lift her head.

"I love you, I love you, I love you, Anna. And I haven't said it enough," he sadly told her.

"I love you more, because I'm competitive and I like to win," Anna managed to joke.

Their car was swerving left and right. The night sky made it harder to see in front of them.

"Do you think they'll be okay?" Anna asked her fiance.

"I believe in Him." Stephen touched his forehead to hers. "He'll find a way for them."

Anastasia stared into his brown eyes and her voice trembled as she said: "Kiss me."

"I love you," he told her as he inched his face closer to hers.

Their hands were resting on her bloated stomach, and their lips brushed just as their car rammed into a large tree. Shards of glass exploded everywhere. Blood was spilled.

"I.. love.. y-you.. too." Anna's voice was hoarse, her skin pale, her mouth full of red liquid.

Stephen was hunched over his fiancee's pregnant stomach in a shielding position. The back of his head and neck were bleeding, pierced with sharp remnants of the window.

Both victims were urgently rushed to the hospital, but Stephen begged to be with Anna.

The medics were losing him fast so they permitted him to be in the delivery room with her.

Anna experienced the most excruciating birth in just a matter of minutes. The male doctor wore a grave expression on his face, and Anna knew she wasn't going to make it.

Neither was Stephen.

"Congratulations," declared the doctor. "They're twin girls."

"S-Stephen.. did y-you.. hear.. t-that?" Anna was breathing heavily. Her face was full of sweat.

He was deteriorating by the seconds. One of the nurses pushed his gurney towards the blonde.

Stephen mouthed 'I love you' to his fiancee and to the baby girls being cradled by her.

"C-could someone.." Anna could barely speak anymore. "...t-take a p-picture of us?"

Two male nurses helped Stephen onto the bed, laying him next to his fiancee.

Anna and Stephen did their best to smile at the camera, but their tears were shining.

"What will their names be?" The male doctor asked, trying to remain calm.

"T-the blonde.. S-Stacy.. E-Eris.. Sta. Ana," choked out Anastasia.

Stephen's head slumped against the pillow, facing his fiancee as he uttered his last words.

"The b-brunette.. Sophia.. Ann."

When the doctor checked Stephen's pulse, the former shook his head and shut his eyes.

"Stephen Sta. Ana. Time of death: 9:48 pm."

An aggressive torrent of tears slid down Anastasia's cheeks as she held Stephen's hand.

"I l-love y-you," she whispered against the back of his hand, which she kissed.

And then she closed her eyes.

"Anastasia Pennington. Time of death: 9:49 pm."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.5K 2.1K 78
❝ Y O U W E R E B R O K E N, A N D I T W A S M Y J O B T O F I X Y O U. ❞ What happens when you meet a pair of twins on a bus? The oppo...
341 74 19
Mel is the trouble maker. Never shows up to school and always in trouble with the police. She relies on her twin to always get her out of sticky situ...
1.2K 8 79
Smart, beautiful, and fun-loving, the Sta. Ana Twins are finally graduating college two years after their drama-filled sophomore year. Tall, blonde...
22.3K 1.4K 29
You know, since this is my last night here and we're already breaking the rules...maybe we could... It's the last night of summer camp. So when char...