Born of Death (Editing)

By JalissaPastorius

|COMPLETED| A young woman will plunge into a world of death and intrigue. There she must navigate the dark co... More

1: Welcome to the Abyss pt I
2. Welcome to the Abyss pt II
3. Who's Afraid of the Dark pt I
4. Who's Afraid of the Dark pt II
5. Pretend Date
6. Lurking Shadows
8. Absence of Light
9. Gateways of Death and the New Guy
10. Mirrors and Monsters
11. Phantoms and Mysterious Noise
12. Death's Ruling
13. Darklings
14. Magic 101
15. Binding Chains
16. Memoirs of the End
Chapter 17: The Death of Me
Chapter 18: Return of the King
Chapter 19: Whispers of Death and Moonlight Sonata
Chapter 20. The Evil in You
Chapter 21. Destruction of Bonds of Love
Prelude
22. Destroying Guardians
23. Shrouded in Darkness
24. The Ball and the Creepy Queen
25. The Death Dance
26. Thrust into Darkness
27. Mirror Mirror on the Wall
28. My Beautiful Nightmare
29. Meet Me on the Otherside
30. Love After Death
31. Trickery of Light
32. The Light is my Enemy
33. Darklings in the Seedbed
34. Bleed for Me
35. Scream
36. Revelation
37. Bright and Mysterious Light
38. The Welkin
39. A Fool's Game
40. Into the Night
41. Shatter
42. A Familiar Face
44. Brothers.
EPILOGUE

7. Dreams of Death

334 12 1
By JalissaPastorius

DON'T FORGET TO

FAN

VOTE

COMMENT

Dear beloved

Rip into my throat

And make me croak

Fury burned through Cyriac as he hurried towards the den where he knew the others gathered. How dare Katherine touched what was his?! Never in all his existence, had he encountered rage such as this. It left a bitter taste on his tongue while heat boiled his blood. Only centuries of training kept his face blank as entered the chamber. Dark satisfaction bloomed in his stomach when everyone bowed, paying their respects. Their submissiveness calmed the heat rampaging through his body. He sought out his father, relieved to see his joining of the high council treating him well. Although his father was a fine king, he grew tired of it. Now, he stood before him.

"Son, what's this about a mere human girl you've become besotted with?"

"Father she is mine," he replied, his possessiveness bleeding into his words as his eyes glowed. "She calls for me." He nodded recognizing the shock in his father's eyes. Often souls in vampire's counterparts weren't strong enough to call for its mate. To establish a connection. A true soulmate allowed his kind to reproduce. Cyriac's father was the first in eons able to pass a throne down to his son. Normally, trials were held to determine the next monarch. It was such a barbaric practice, and he was glad he could put an end to it.

"Furthermore, she may not be human at all. If you saw her father, her beauty rivals even that of vampires. And, when she feels threaten or angry, the most peculiar things occur."

"Interesting. Son, I want you to bring her to the next council meeting."

"Understood father," he said with a slight nod before turning on his heels, leaving the others behind. His heart swelled in pride with thoughts of Rosalinda. She was exquisite. A gift to behold. A partner. A soulmate. He hurried anxious to see her again.

☠️☠️☠️

Rosalinda stood surrounded by darkness as it pressed in on her from all sides. She swallowed the fear festering in her gut. Impossible. She could never be harm by darkness. Soon, the overwhelming feeling gave way, and she frowned at the shadowy figure in the distance.

"Come to me."

Eh? But who? More importantly what was it? Her breath left her mouth dry. Through the shades of black, she stared gobsmack as an archway derived of skulls began to form, the rich shade of black giving way to the luminescence and lustrous glow of bone. Chills erupted along her skin, once she spotted the hollow sockets glowing a malevolent red and poisonous shade of green smoke seeped from the skulls mouth. Enraptured by the archway fortuitous beauty, she moved closer.

"A-are those hands?" she muttered, inching closer only to pull short when a door began to form in the archway. "A gate? Portal? But to what?" she mumbled, watching the door slowly manifest.

"Come home," they whispered.

She stared at the door knocker. Was that solid gold? Reaching for it, she jumped as the shrill sound of an alarm ripped through her dream, dragging her to reality. She groaned. Six already, gosh she felt like she hadn't slept at all. She snatched up Lolita.

"How's my favorite monster today?" she said, turning her head from side to side as she held it up in the air to study. If vampires existed, could this little thing be alive? "Are you alive Lolita?" she asked staring intently at the plush toy. "Gosh, that was dumb," she mumbled before sitting it down on the bed. Running her hands through her hair, she chuckled. She felt alive. Confident. Strutting to the bathroom, she grinned as she took in her large features.

Cyriac called her beautiful. And they were going to date! He wanted her to be his queen! There was someone who saw value in her. She was no longer invisible. Throwing on a simple white-tee and black skinny legs, she smiled at her features. Her eyes and full lips stood out as usual, but she was growing confident. After hearing how unflattering she looked for so long, she was relieved to find there was someone who appreciated her outward appearance. Plaiting her hair into a simple braid, she placed it around her shoulders and returned to her room to dispose of her dirty laundry. She just placed her items in the hamper when her phone dinged.

"That's right!" she squealed quietly. "I have a phone!" She hurried over toward the sleek device hiding in wait under her bed and unlocked it.

Your beauty brings out the beast in me.

Cyriac

It was such a strange text, but for some reason it was the most romantic thing she had ever been told. Weird huh? It felt strange to have a cell phone. She now felt connected to the outside world. She could give Yu her number when she got to school. Rosalinda paused, smiling widely, she was finally thinking like a regular teenager! And she would have a regular income, it all contributed to her good mood. Sliding her phone into her pocket, she closed her door gently behind her.

"Hi honey."

Rosalinda frowned spotting her mother in the kitchen. Now she was home all the time? What was going on? She shoved her misgivings aside and smiled at her.

"Hi mom, where's Rachel? She's my ride to school,"

"She left sweetie. You're going to have to get up earlier if you want to catch a ride."

Really lady! Really?! Should could get up at the crack of dawn, and Rachel would still find some way to leave her behind. What was everyone's problem with her? Did she put a spell on them? Wait. Really? Was it possible? Could Rosalinda be a witch with latent powers? She should ask Cyriac.

"Whatever mom, I'm sick of this," she said as she jumped off the stool and gathered her items.

"Where did you get a cell phone from?"

"Have you forgotten that quickly mom? I got a job now. I work as a personal assistant after school. The money is really good so I am going to save up for a car." She shook her head as she walked away.

Why was she treated so differently?! Like she wasn't a part of this degenerative family! She went to the garage to grab her bike. It was nowhere to be found. Damn that sister of hers! She was going to destroy her one of these days! There was no way she could walk. Rosalinda needed to keep her grade point average up so she could get into a university. She rushed back into the house. "Mom!" She shouted.

"What is it?"

"Can you give me a lift to school please? I can't find my bike," she said hurriedly, "Or," she dragged out, "You can let me drive?" She pleaded. Fat chance. She didn't know why she bothered.

"I'm going to give you a ride sweetie. I need the car later."

"Fine." she sighed. Freaking knew it. "I just don't understand why I can't have a car," she pouted.

"Well honey, in this family each person has one expensive thing. Your brother and your sister got cars, and you got the antique dresser which I think is more valuable than any car we can hope to buy. In fact your sister has been trying to barter that dresser from me for years. Honey, you are my first girl and that vanity table is the one irreplaceable thing I could ever give you. I thought you understood that," she said starting the car.

Hmm. Well, she never thought of it that way. She was really going to have to take a good look at her vanity table when she got home. But really, a vanity table for a car? If she was honest with herself she would've picked the car, but knowing she had something Rachel desired, sent wicked glee tumbling through her. Ha! Take that witch!

"But mom, why is it so important?" she asked.
"It's just is sweetie."

Rosalinda knew the topic was closed after that. Then she heard her whisper it's her only connection to him. Okay? Now she was officially curious.

She was sitting in Mr. Kenward class and of course her cap was off. He's a sadist and enjoys torturing her. Instead of being a good student and focusing on the lecture, her mind was spinning with thoughts of Cyriac, her mother's weird comment, and thoughts of vampires; then there was those weird dreams occupying her mind at night. Queen, she couldn't be queen. In a momentary lapse in judgment, she envisioned herself on a throne, her king by her side; however, there was something sinister looming over her, a shadow, and horror clawed at her at the skeleton hands reaching for her. She shook her head, this thing with Cyriac was getting out of hand. She didn't care how intoxicating he was. Who was he? She wanted to know the man behind the crown.
Then there was a question burning in her mind, she of course ignored it and left it in the recess of her mind. She would deal with it later.

Grateful for the bell, she threw her things in her backpack and quickly got up hoping to make a speedy exit, but before she escaped her imprisonment that consisted of monotone voices moving at a decelerated pace mocking her, Mister Kenward asked for her to stay behind. Dammit! What was his damn problem with her?!

"Miss Cutteridge, is there something going on at home? I noticed that you were a little absentminded during class today."

Well hell, if he discovered that vampires exist, he would be a little 'absentminded' too.

"No sir, I'm fine. I just started a new job. Everything is fine. I promise to participate more in class," she promised, heading out the door. She was willing to say anything to shut him up and keep him from calling home.

"I'm here to serve you."

Weird. Maybe she misheard. This teacher was confusing. And it was not her job to figure him out. She frowned as her world shifted briefly. She froze, shaking her head. She was starting to think she wasn't too far off about those technological doomsday devices.

One moment she was at school heading to the cafeteria and the next minute she was staring into a pitch black sky consisting of three moons. The hills sides were a rich murky purple and corpses walked around, as if they weren't missing flesh and vital organs. Was she going insane? She couldn't comprehend anything she saw. She was surrounded by death. She shivered as an inky ball formed from her. The circular mass bubbled, before latching onto her while stretching across the vast land, as if searching for something. But what. And why was this thing on her?

We're home.

This isn't her home! Quit whispering to her! Stress. It's getting to her. Her eyes flashed over to Mister Kenward, and shock clawed at her, for a scream became lodge in her throat. Her teacher was some small form of a Minotaur, and his body was dark as tar while yellow hawk eyes drilled into her. On his chest a distinguished necklace comprised of golden skulls rested. Black talon like nails curved from his fingertips, while an array of weapons were arranged strategically on his form. She gaped at a particularly sharp looking battle axe, and hammer. Did he crush skulls for fun? How many weapons did he need?

Her teeth began to chatter, spotting the wicked katana resting at his waist. It's simply her hyper active imagination taking root. She needed to get away before he spotted her. With that in mind, she started to walk in the opposite direction when Ayumi spotted her. She didn't understand. Not Yu. She tried to mask her hysteria. To keep her face blank as Ayumi's feline formed approached. It was quite difficult. She had a nose like a cat and freaking whiskers! Surely, her mind couldn't come up with such creatures on its own. Not only that, her new friend had just as many muscles as Mister Kenward. Who were these freaking people? Eer? Things? Ayumi looked like she was made for destruction while Mister Kenward was the embodiment of chaos. S-she, um no! She needed to be alone!

"Rosalinda!" Mister Kenward called, his eyes wide in shock.

Nope. Nah. Nada. She didn't see anything. She blinked and everything was back to normal. She stared into plain brown eyes, and dull brown hair. Maybe that ill-bred sister of hers poisoned her with something!

"Miss Cutteridge, are you alright?" asked Mr. Kenward.

"Yes sir," she said, unable to keep eye contact. "W-why would you ask something like that? I didn't see anything," she giggled nervously. Crap! She didn't mean for that last part to slip out.

"Rosalinda, I think we should talk," he started, but she didn't give him a chance to finish. She had to get away from him. Away from them. She did what any person would from a lapse in sanity. Simply, she ran.

Rosalinda continued the rest of her day, ignoring the jeers from students, and she prayed she didn't run into Yu. Currently, she laid nestled high up on a tree branch. Making sure to keep out of sight to avoid talks of liability by teachers, she ate her apple. Her mind wondered, briefly touching on all the strange events circling her. Ever since discovering the existence of vampires, things have been getting stranger by the minute. Could it be Cyriac's doing? She felt like Alice in wonderland. She was down the rabbit hole, only she was still falling. She grumbled as a strong gust of wind blew carrying her cap away while lulling her to sleep. Her eyes fluttered shut, and before she knew it, she was asleep.

Rosa, Rosa, Rosa!

Her eyes flew open, her body lurching forward out of the tree on its own. She was drawn to him, intoxicated by him. This connection between them felt like elastic and she bounded towards him. She sighed as their eyes connected. Gray to sea-green. His eyes they gleamed, capturing her and holding her prisoner.

"Where you not in class today?" he asked. Heh? What was he, her father? And more embarrassing, she missed class, because she fell asleep. In a tree. Her, the honor-roll, dean's list, she wanted to get into a university girl.

"Yes, I went, but fell asleep in an umm, tree." It's his fault! How could she focus, knowing she's um dating a vampire and suppose to become queen?

"Cyriac, I don't think I'm meant to be a queen, it's just too much."

"You are mine, and no one dares question me, besides you will meet with the council and we shall discuss it," He told her leading her towards the car.

"Cyriac, I can't," she whined. She's was seventeen. People had to be bred to rule. She just wanted a normal life, that didn't include her cruel sister, or father of the year torture. Gosh, he's spoiling her if she's learned how to whine. She quickly shut her mouth; after all he did give her a job.

"You can, and you will Rosalinda. Don't worry," he said, intertwining their hands as they sped towards his home.

Once in his home, she was left waiting in the keeping room, while he fetched the 'Council'. She shivered at the term. Sounded like doom to her. Breathing a sigh of relief, she stood as Cyriac returned. Oh. When he said council, she was expecting a bunch of old people with an overwhelming presence. Luckily, she spotted only three men. Her eyes slid over to her boyfriend, and their eyes collided. Her heart rampaged in her chest whenever she saw him. Did he feel the same way? Was he just as affected as she? His eyes, they burned full of passion. She was once again lost in their depths.

"Rosa," he whispered.
"Wow!" she said her eyes flickering around the room as her name reverberated off the walls. Was he using his vampire magic on her? Could they even use magic? What about their abilities? He must show her! Submerge completely in his scent, she ached to make him claw, to lose control, and be the beast she knew laid dormant within him. Wait—what? She didn't even understand her thoughts or feelings at times. Maybe they were moving too fast. He gently took her hand into hers and led her over to what she presumed to be the three wise men. Rosalinda chuckled at her thoughts.

Be nice.

You can talk to me?

I can project them. We'll talk later.

Her guffaws went silent as her mind raced with more thoughts. Could he read her mind?

"Wait—no," she whined as he ripped her cap off.
"Rosa you don't have to hide your beauty," he said taking her hand, his thumb rubbing across her knuckles. She relaxed.
"I am very awkward looking and people always stare," She whispered as all her insecurities returned.
"On the contrary, darling, they stare because you are quite stunning," said a man very striking to her Cyriac.

Great. Let's blab about her inadequacies to everyone. Stupid vampire and super hearing. Cyriac cleared his throat, and introduced the man eer vampire.

"Love this is my father Aser."

This man had a part in creating the heart throb standing next to her. She shall remain ever grateful to him. Rosalinda studied him through quiet eyes. He was powerful, something was there just beneath the surface. What was he hiding? A beast? Or a secret? Her eyes then flickered over toward the other two. Nathaniel and Tor, what would history reveal about their names. Swallowing thickly, her eyes returned to Cyriac. She was meeting the man's family—well his father anyway and they haven't even went on a date. Unless, she counted the non-pretend date. Just thinking about it made her angry.

"What is going on here?" Cyriac demanded, enraged as his father shared a look with the other men.

"Forgive me son."

She had been surrounded.

A/N:

What no! Secret's will be revealed next chapter! Don't forget to hit that little button at the end of the chapter! I appreciate it! See ya!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.8K 255 24
When a beautiful, arrogant Unseelie Princess is forced to flee her family castle on her wedding night, she has to embrace the darkness of the shadow...
435 120 23
Dive into an epic fantasy romance where destiny clashes with darkness. A humble soldier, marked by mysterious powers, is sent to the Court of Night...
21.7K 622 8
An angelic halfling, thrown into a brutal war - not her own. Can she survive, can humanity? Angels or Hellion, Sky hates them both, hell, she even ha...
113 14 8
Ainsley Roarah always thought her life was normal and boring until one night a stranger breaks in and saves her before her home is blown up. Her savi...