Mr Kingston's Roommate | ꪜ

By XFiction_GoddessX

Highest ranking: #1 in Short Story *Rewriting and Editing on hold* It was a race to leave behind her toxic pa... More

Mr Kingston's Roommate | Extended Synopsis, Copyright
Mr Kingston's Roommate|Cast
Mr Kingston's Roommate | Prologue
Mr Kingston's Roommate|01
Mr kingston's Roommate|02
Mr Kingston's Roommate|03
Mr Kingston's Roommate|05
Mr Kingston's Roommate|06
Mr Kingston's Roommate|07
Mr Kingston's Roommate|08
Mr Kingston's Roommate|09
Mr Kingston's Roommate|10
Mr Kingston's Roommate|11
Mr Kingston's Roommate|12
Mr Kingston's Roommate|13
Mr Kingston's Roommate|14
Mr Kingston's Roommate|15
Mr Kingston's Roommate|16
Mr Kingston's Roommate|17
Mr Kingston's Roommate|18
Mr Kingston's Roommate|19
Mr Kingston's Roommate|20
Mr Kingston's Roommate|21
Mr Kingston's Roommate|22
Mr Kingston's Roommate|23
Mr Kingston's Roommate|24
Mr Kingston's Roommate|25
Mr Kingston's Roommate|26
Mr Kingston's Roommate|27
Mr Kingston's Roommate|28
Mr Kingston's Roommate|29
Mr Kingston's Roommate|30
Mr Kingston's Roommate|31
Mr Kingston's Roommate|32
Mr Kingston's Roommate|33
Mr Kingston's Roommate|34
Mr Kingston's Roommate|35
Mr Kingston's Roommate|36
Mr Kingston's Roommate|37
Mr Kingston's Roommate|38
Mr Kingston's Roommate|39
Mr Kingston's Roommate|40
Mr Kingston's Roommate|41
Mr Kingston's Roommate|42
Mr Kingston's Roommate|43
Mr Kingston's Roommate|44
Mr Kingston's Roommate|45
Mr Kingston's Roommate|46
Mr Kingston's Roommate|47
Mr Kingston's Roommate|48
Mr Kingston's Roommate|49
Mr Kingston's Roommate|50
Mr Kingston's Roommate|51
Mr Kingston's Roommate|52
Mr Kingston's Roommate|53
Mr Kingston's Roommate|54
Mr Kingston's Roommate|55
Epilogue
Bonus Chapter

Mr Kingston's Roommate|04

25.4K 673 161
By XFiction_GoddessX

Edited

Leila's POV
Triple Dog Dare

"Hey, Reese's pieces," I whispered down the line as I climbed onto my bed. Earlier today, Professor Kingston, the residence director and myself all discussed our arrangement once again. Seeing as this was initially a one-bedroom suite, I only get to pay half of the rent and other necessary bills, excluding meal plans, seeing as it's also equipped with a kitchen.

My bed was ordered within a day along with a Chinese curtain to give me some privacy in my own little corner seeing as this is an open-concept suite. There aren't any walls to separate the kitchen from the living room or the "bedroom". The only source of true privacy is the washroom.

I'm not complaining since the suite is quite beautiful and bright. Professor Kingston is a neat freak because I've found nothing out of place from the moment I've been here. I hardly see him during the day — obviously — so our interactions are limited to mornings, and late evenings and if I'm up late he's usually sat at the hardwood desk typing away on his computer.

I'm happy that our interactions are minuscule or things will get awkward very quickly.

"Hey, babe."

"Are you still coming this weekend? I have a lot to tell you and I'd rather do it in person than over the phone." I said as I leaned against the headboard. The line went silent for a few seconds before his heavy sigh broke through the phone, "I-I won't be able to make it this weekend, Lei. I need to pick up an extra shift because overtime just isn't cutting it."

It's understandable but I don't want us to fall into the pattern of making promises to one another and then breaking them before they could be fulfilled. Eventually, this pattern will turn into our norm until we've drifted so far apart, our efforts to make it back to one another will crumble at our feet before we even take one step toward each other.

Toward what could be blissful happiness.

I don't want us to fall prey to a dysfunctional relationship caused by distance.

"Okay." My voice was flatter than I expected — colder — than I expected.

"I'm sorry, Lei. I know I promised you. W-what did you want to tell me? How's your week been so far? Are classes good?" I've grown accustomed to the tightness that always seems to cocoon my heart with no sign of release. So when a tear trickled down my cheek, I simply wiped it away, anticipating the rest to follow suit.

Maybe it's because I know that despite my best efforts, eventually, we'll break up. I don't know how or why it'll happen but the chances of this working out are extremely slim.

I'd like to believe that we can overcome it.

"Can we talk some other time? I'm kinda tired," I whispered, failing but trying hard to hide the crack in my voice. "O-okay, yeah. I'll call you tomorrow then." He paused for a beat as if contemplating whether or not he should really leave, "I love you, Leila."

I nodded my head as a sob resonated within my chest, waiting for its untimely release. "Yeah, I love you too, Reese." Without waiting to give him an opportunity to reply, I hung up the phone, finally succumbing to the silence of my abyss as I released a sob into the comfort of my pillow.

When humans have no room for happiness or anger, fear remains their understudy until those emotions decide to take their rightful place under the spotlight. But when fear is the one idling within the light, all eyes fixated on its rotting flesh — it smiles.

Because it finally received the attention that was never rightfully theirs. And it never wants to leave.

"You're going to die alone. For your sins, Leila. You will die alone."

Fear.

That's what I'm feeling now.

The single click of the door knob sent my face further into the pillow, hoping that I could hide away from Professor Kingston. However, my curiosity got the better of me at the sound of him shuffling around the room so I slowly raised my head upward until my eyes aligned with his figure.

He kicked off his shoes and placed them neatly on his rack. His suitcase rested against the table and he loosened his tie, a look of relief washing over his face as he did so.

Feeling as if I were intruding, I lowered my gaze back to its rightful spot and closed my eyes, hoping that sleep would wrap me in its warm embrace.

However, after what felt like an eternity — after Professor Kingston had retreated to the bathroom to shower off a day of hard work — I was still unable to succumb to slumber. Frustratingly, I sat upright and retrieved my phone from my nightstand with one hand whilst the other ran across the dried tears on my cheeks.

I received a message from Sam not too long ago. Though I was reluctant to reply, I figured that since I willingly hurled myself into the lion's den, I might as well embrace what could be my impending doom.

I don't want to get betrayed again.

Sam: Hey Midge and the guys and also me (obvi) were going to the beach apparently there's this bonfire thing going down there and Peter wont stop begging me to ask you to come

Me: I'll come. Not because of Peter.

Sam: YAYY ily so much! Meet me downstairs in the students lounge in five

There's no sound emitting from the walls of the bathroom which means that Professor Kingston has most likely finished showering. That means the chances of him walking out at any time are high. 

With a race against time, I hurriedly slipped off my sweatpants and climbed into a pair of jeans. Once I was done, I retrieved a sweatshirt from my unpacked suitcase and tugged it over my head as my unsettled heart drummed against my chest.

And much to my dismay, time seemed to have once again bested me. Because the soft click of the bathroom door and the heavy footsteps against the floorboard travelled across the room at what seemed to be the speed of light. And not long after, my professor was standing right across me, his horrified gaze settling on my frozen figure.

"MISS HART!"

I squealed at the sound of my name booming from his lips and snapped out of my trance. He sure as hell saw my bra. "What in the–you have a Chinese curtain for a reason! There's a bloody washroom for a reason too. If you needed to use it you could have KNOCKED!"

When I pulled the sweater down and away from my eyes, I found him with his back turned toward me and his hand draped over his eyes.

My professor just saw my boobs in a bra.

HE JUST SAW ME IN A BRA.

"Oh my god. . ." I cried in embarrassment. I knew I should have just waited till he came out. "Are you–are you covered up?" He cleared his throat, clearly flustered by the sight of me almost naked. "Uh, y-yes." At my confirmation, he retracted his hand from his face and turned toward me.

His lips fell into a thin line and although I could feel the animosity emitting from his body — I could also tell that he was equally as embarrassed as I was.

"I've decided to ignore what I saw." He said flatly as the corners of his mouth lifted into a sarcastic smile. "I desperately want you out of my room. This inconvenience is starting to seem a little too much for me to handle."

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

He rolled his eyes, "where are you headed off to Miss Hart?"

"Why is that your business?" I snapped.

He smiled, "well, I've met kids like yourself: those who discard everything to party then cry when they fail midterms and have no choice but to drop out when their grades fall exponentially. The college experience is a rite of passage that in the end evolves into the literal definition of the youth's downfall."

Listening to him most time gives me an aneurysm.

"Kids? Aren't you like 20?"

He laughed loudly — more like cackled like a madman as he sat down at his desk. "My age does not matter. I have a level of education you haven't even scraped yet. But I digress. Have fun at your outing, Miss Hart. Let's hope you pass my weekly test next week with flying colours." He said as he waved his hand dismissively.

Oh, how I wish I could murder you.

Asshole.

~~~

"I'm glad you came," Peter winked as he tipped his ridiculous-looking cowboy hat. Despite the fact that I wanted to shove my fist in his mouth, I couldn't help my curiosity or amusement, "why are you wearing a cowboy hat?" Peter's mouth fell agape in mock disbelief, "what's wrong with my hat? I think it looks chic."

I'm regretting my decision.

We've been down here for a little over ten minutes. Of course, Sam was cuddled in the arms of Drake. Midge had temporarily abandoned us for a guy I'd never seen before and I was stuck with Peter who still hasn't given up on hitting on me. I'm genuinely beginning to think he truly does not care that I'm taken.

"Let's play a game! We didn't come here to just sit and do nothing." Sam exclaimed as she scootched closer to the fire. If it's a childish game I have a feeling that I'll walk out of here. Coming here was a split-second decision to escape my thoughts and Professor Kingston. I don't need more shit added to my plate.

"What game?" Midge inquired.

"Let's play triple dog dare." You've got to be kidding me. I understand that we're still young adults but we aren't kids anymore. How old are they? Seriously.

A chorus of agreements snapped me out of my thoughts and by the time I collected myself, everyone was staring directly at me, awaiting a response.

No.

NO.

"S-sure." What the hell, Leila! What the actual hell!?

"You keep complaining about people using you but you never know when to say no. It's okay to say no sometimes, Leila."

"I know...Reese."

"Stop! Stop saying you know! If you did, you–we wouldn't be in this predicament right now! Jesus, Lei."

I hate my mouth.

"Okay, so you guys already know the rules. You absolutely have to do your dare under all circumstances. You don't and your repercussions will be astronomical and I mean astronomical, people! Like if you reject my dare I'll make you run around this beach butt naked, I'm not kidding."

"She's not kidding," Drake whispered as his eyes suddenly widened.

What the hell have I gotten myself into?

No. No. That's all you need to say. NO!

"Okay let's start." Sam spun the empty beer bottle right beside the burning fire until it landed on Midge. "Ah, my lovely Midge. I triple dog dare you to kiss under Damien's armpit." I couldn't stifle the chuckle that burst through my lips at Midge's horrid expression.

"What!? His armpits!?"

"Yes, that's for daring me to jump into the ice-cold pool naked during Christmas break. Revenge biatch! Now kiss it before I dare you to lick it instead." This is sadistic.

However, it is entertaining. I just hope when it's my turn it's something I can say no to. Especially if I'm uncomfortable. His words keep echoing in my ears that day we had one of our biggest arguments.

It's okay to say no sometimes, Leila.

"FINE you psycho," Midge grumbled under her breath as she grabbed Damien's hand. With a smirk on his face, he raised his hand above his head. "Kiss it good, my love."

"This is crazy," I whispered in disbelief.

"You ain't seen nothing yet," Peter responded as he took a swig from his beer.

Midge lowered her face down to Damien's armpits before quickly pressing her lips to his skin. Surprisingly he was freshly shaved unlike a lot of guys who sport a botanical garden under there. Still, it did not minimize the utterly unpalatable taste of his possibly stinking pits.

Everyone cheered as Midge finally pulled away. Her eyes were peeled open wide and her hand swiped across her lips furiously in a state of sheer revulsion. "Good girl! Now, Midge, it's your turn to spin the bottle." After flashing Sam a venomous death glare, Midge obliged and spun the bottle.

Until it landed beside me.

On Peter.

"Peter, I dare you to kiss the prettiest girl here." As if everyone was aware of where this was going except me, their eyes drifted in my direction. Peter's head subtly tilted toward me. "No. I'm not k-kissing, Peter."

I did it.

I said no.

"Well, I mean if he thinks you're the prettiest girl here he has to. It's just a game, Leila. There's no ulterior plan or motive here. A little peck and boom, you're done! You guys aren't gonna get married!" Midge exclaimed.

"Well, tonight I'm the ugliest girl here!"

"Do it, do it, do it, do it." They all began chanting and I shook my head vigorously but didn't realize that the proximity between Peter and I was already closed. And then there was the touch of his lips against mine and his hand on my waist and his skin on my skin.

I didn't even have time to react before our contact was severed abruptly. Peter pulled away, his lips tugged into a smile, "they didn't specify how long." He said before turning his attention toward Midge, "the dare is done, let's move along."

I could sense the disappointment in everyone's eyes at the fact that we didn't make out. Still, even if it was a one-second kiss, I hated the fact that they all knew he would pick me. I don't know if I'm looking too deep into things, but whatever game they're playing, I want no part of it.

"Stop being so gullible, Leila! It's as if you haven't gotten burnt enough. Do you like it? Do you get off on it — getting hurt?"

"Screw you, Reese."

Reese.

"Hmm, I still kind of ship it although you're an asshole," Sam said as she flickered her eyes toward me. "You guys would actually make a cute couple!" I forced a smile on my face as a sudden rush of darkness overtook me. I could feel its arms encircling my waist, and my chest, its face buried in my neck, slowly stifling me.

I hate this feeling.

And I hate that no one knows it's happening.

"Okay next dare!"

I hate that no one knows, my abyss is gradually growing and the light gets dimmer with each second that ticks by.

If you liked this chapter please vote❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66K 4.8K 27
Emily and River meet in Miami, where they have the time of their lives, but it isn't meant to be: the next morning, Emily leaves for San Francisco, l...
428 22 18
[Excerpt] I looked at the eyes of my lover, so beautiful, so bright. A tear dropped from those pretty eyes and rolled down my lover's face. We both a...
163K 4.6K 22
Seven years ago, Tristan Knight walked away from the love of his life, Serenity Harris, without a word or a backwards glance. No goodbye. No Dear Joh...
759K 43K 47
After a car accident leaves Riley Perez in a coma, she wakes up in the hospital a year later. With the absence of the memories of her loved ones, she...