Remembering Hope Findlay

By Sophxo

"Hunted, hunting and almost gone." Hope, a natural hearted teenager. That's where it stops. What would you d... More

Remembering Hope Findlay
Chapter 1 - Who are you?
Chapter 2 - Who am I?
Chapter 3 - Who are they?
Chapter 4 - Who did that?
Chapter 5 - Who?
Chapter 6 - What Am I Doing This For?
Chapter 7 - What The...?
Chapter 8 - What Happened Here?
Chapter 9 - What Is Going On?
Chapter 10 - What?
Chapter 11 - Where Was That?
Chapter 12 - Where is He?
Chapter 13 - Where To Go?
Chapter 14 - Where Am I?
Chapter 15 - Where?
Chapter 16 - When Will I Get Out?
Chapter 17 - When Will I Be Safe?
Chapter 18 - When Can I Relax?
Chapter 20 - When?

Chapter 19 - When Can I Be Normal?

156 3 2
By Sophxo

I woke from the black, returning to the sunburnt rays of sundown. My mouth, drier than ever and the last fluid in my body threatening to be released through my mouth. I swallowed hard, it was harder now, I was basically just swallowing dry air.

I had to find water, or some fluid soon. One more night and I may not wake.

I was glad though, when I gained consciousness that I was still in the tree, knowing my luck I would of fallen out. The smaller limbs on my side must of kept me from falling to the leaf litter.

I checked the ground for any sign of my stalker, but there wasn't one clue if he was around or not. There was silence, not even the wind and I couldn't see any obvious signs of him moving around.

'I wonder if Corey is still there...' I asked myself. He could be my only hope of getting help and to not, well, die.

I looked down at my leg where the stick had severed it, the bleeding had stopped but I knew that I must of lost a fair lot of blood because where I had my leg placed on the grey branch, it was a pale red. I checked my arms, no insect bites from sticking my arms through the thick bushes, but there was scars littering my white skin.

Turning my body around to lower myself off the tree I found my head was thumping harshly. Sort of like a hangover, although I hadn't drunk anything for almost three days. Three days... thinking that I hadn't drunk anything in that long that I realised that I haven't eaten either... I wasn't hungry at all though. If I was offered a plate of food I probably wouldn't even touch it, I didn't even feel like I had an empty stomach. Strange.

I turned my body around and shuffled my leg awkwardly, I started climbing down the tree. Stopping at the next strong branch to hold my head, as if holding it would settle the ache. After about three minutes of deep breathing I regained my climbing.

Finding the footholds on the way down was harder, I had to be careful not to knock the stick coming from my leg. I could tell with any more pain I would more than likely pass out again.

Finally, my feet got to the lowest fork, the one I jumped onto. Facing my front to the trunk of the tree, I lowered myself down, trying to find dents in the bark to use as footholds.

I reached the ground, my cold feet crunching leaves under my light and ever thinning frame. I peered around the grey-white trunk in the silence.

The forest was as undisturbed as it was when I drifted off, only the occasional soft rustle of possums reaching safety before the owls came out to hunt on their small furry prey in the darkness. 

I grabbed my head again, regretting running away, but not ever wanting to return to the spooky confinements of the dull room. I remember my pure fear when I woke, a few weeks ago. I was so shocked, so frightened of what had happened and what was going to happen to me. 

I regret not telling Lily about my strong memory of the kill. I'm still not totally sure why I didn't tell her, I guess she was the only one I could trust and well, I didn't want to put her in danger. She was so kind to me and all, and with her help I had my name to say and I was starting to grow more familiar with the world.

I missed Lily. She was the one that helped me through this, I owe her so much.

I looked back to my surroundings, the bush silent again now, almost too silent. Perhaps I could make it back to Corey, hopefully I could anyway...

I took a few unsteady steps, only just becoming aware of my spinning head. It felt as though I had been on a V8 engined merry go round for ten minutes then walked off to find myself walking around as though the world was tilting over, threatening to make me fall off.

I fell to the ground as my legs gave way. I met the browned leaves again and had my hands buried deep in them, tall weeds tickling my arms.

I shook my head, attempting to stop the endless spinning, but only made it worse.

I took a deep breath and pushed myself up shakily. The world moving unmercilessly. I was staggering to the right, then the left, then finding myself amongst the leaves again.

The air was cooling again, I remained on the ground for a few minutes, not game to move incase the wind hit my freezing arms, only to make me colder and dizzy.

I took another deep breath, a cloud of white steam leaving my open mouth. A shiver went down my spine as my head starting thumping when the the dizziness wore off a little.

Taking that chance of being able to distinguish which way was up, I gained my feet and wobbled along, my legs going in opposite directions and hitting the stick that had pierced my thin leg. I didn't dare look down at it, the sight would probably make me cry out in pain even more.

My felt as though they were not living anymore, but didn't fail me when I pushed onwards, hoping this was the way I had entered this labrinth of trees and leaves.

I passed many grey trunks or the gumtrees that reached high to the sky, like tall pale men, trying to take over the world.

I staggered through the brush, pushing through scarce shrubs that sheltered me from the wind occassionally, the large leaves surprisingly tickled my bare skin.

The trees swayed lightly when the brisk wind came, I peered up, the sky a haunting grey colour that the orange light coloured, starting from a deep auburn to a very pale grey-orange tinge.

I continued on, passing more grey trunks that made my way hard, dodging lower limbs that were almost invisible in the dusk.

I felt my swollen tongue flop around in my mouth like a fish out of water, desperate to get liquid. My eyelids were heavy as I stumbled through the leaves. Jack Frost was haunting around me - threatening to get the better of me as I felt myself get colder and colder.

I knew I was in trouble as soon as I heard the leaves rustle.

I spun on my heels, almost getting stuck in the thick layer of leaves and mud, to face the noise.

Exhausted and full of pain I started off in the direction I thought would be out of this bush and to Corey, to his warm comforting arms.

I pushed slowly through the maze of grey and pale brown bark. It was all a blur, I wasn't even sure which way I was running, or if I was running deeper into the trees or going the way I planned.

I ran and ran until my back up energy was gone and I was wheezing for air. I knew the rustle was right behind me. I heard them coming, their pace not slowing down. I turned around, ready to see the face of my follower. I was midst preparing to get attacked when I realised who it was.

Corey.

He seemed to keep running, his long huge legs pumping and as he reached me he put his right arm around him and held me close to him as he pushed me to the ground. I grimaced as I impacted on the hard ground. I was confused as to what was going on. Why had Corey football style tackled me to the ground?

An echoing bang answered my questions. It seemed to rebound around the whole bush, trees feeling the impact of it. The small, deadly piece of metal flew above us.

Corey's blonde hair flicked around with his muscled face. His blue eyes piercing something or someone that was right behind us.

I lay on the ground, my body slowly killing me with pain and dehydration. I didn't say a word, even though I couldn't. He didn't even look at me, it was as though I wasn't even there, but he didn't need to make eye contact with me, I knew he was aware of me and my illness. He is a nurse after all.

He spun back around to me and gently, but firmly got me in his arms. It was like a fairytale gone wrong.

In a strong swift movement I was in his arms and he was sprinting easily, even with me in his arms.

We ran through the forest, my head thumping with every step that met the ground. Corey was zigzagging through the trees, clever. I would be dead by now if he hadn't.

I drifted off into the darkness again as my head got dizzy again and the stick in my leg was creating a small waterfall of blood from being moved when we fell.

I was breathing quickly, my head felt limp and I was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you all so much for getting this story so many votes & comments! Can you all please keep sharing, voting, liking, commenting, adding to libraries, tweeting, +1ing. It means a lot!  And with your help we can get it up furthur in the Watty Awards!

I am also looking for someone to help me advertise this story? Please? It would mean so much in the world if any of you could help me get it out there in the Share Your Story discussions!

Look out for Chapter 20 and hope you have liked this so far! I've been working really hard on it so please vote all the chapters and tell me what you think below. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

North By Narns

General Fiction

57 0 31
"Iriehen was a dreamer's city. It wasn't a city for the faint of heart, not for someone like me, who was just waiting for the next big thing. It was...
4.1K 300 41
Disappearing isn't as easy as it seems... It's not exactly as easy as the movies make it seem like. But I'm sure you knew that... But maybe you don't...
The Painting By Col

Mystery / Thriller

133K 8.7K 94
"It took me five seconds to fall. The impact on my chest jarring my body but not my mind. I suppose this is the point where your life is supposed to...