You Are My Only Sunshine

By yourlilRIOT7

I look around myself, and all I see is gray... 16 year old Quinn Heart knew something was wrong. No one shou... More

Chapter 1: Lack of Color
Chapter 2: The Shining Ring
Chapter 3: Depressed?
Chapter 4: My Grandparents Know Better
Chapter 5: Sweet Lillian's Splash
Chapter 6: Dr. Allen Thinks She Can Help... I Don't
Chapter 7: I Treat Them Like Trash?
Chapter 8: Secrets Saved For When I'm Sober
Chapter 9: Lost It
Chapter 10: At The Bottom
Chapter 11: Christy
Chapter 12: Being Stupid Again
Chapter 13: Lymphoma
Chapter 14: Medication
Chapter 15: Intertwined Hands and Half of a Secret
Chapter 16: And Now I Know She Just Isn't Who I Thought
Chapter 17: Confessions in a Cozy Bed
Chapter 18: Ethan's Evil Side
Chapter 19: Not Alone
Chapter 20: Oreos Help
Chapter 21: The Note
Chapter 22: Late October Rain
Chapter 23: Anxious
Chapter 24: I Never Get (Or Say) Anything Right
Chapter 25: All I Do Is Think and Think and Think and Think and Think and Think
Chapter 26: Sadly, What Follows I Am Not Proud About
Chapter 28: Pat
Chapter 29: He's Perfect
Chapter 30: Happy
Epilogue

Chapter 27: Friendship Thing

1.5K 46 7
By yourlilRIOT7

So I realized that this story is coming to a definite close! Just a few more chapters, I'm thinking about four or five! So please comment and vote telling me what you think! How about you tell me what you think will happen in the end, how will things end with Sam and Quinn, with Tessa and Ethan, with Julie and the others? And how about with Quinn going to find out who her mom had cheated on her dad with (I'll give you a hint, that is coming very soon!)

*****

Chapter 27

Friendship Thing

I lost my will to talk to Julie when I was on my way to her car. I stopped in front of it as she got inside, she looked a lot different than she usually does, even worse up close. She was getting out her keys when she noticed me in front of her.

                "What?" she snapped, her hair that was pulled back fell out of her clip and in her face. She muttered something as she bent down and picked up the clip, shoving her hair back and putting it back in, before turning away from me with a roll of her eyes and hopping into her car.

                She has gone completely loony, that's for sure.

                I watched her pull away without trying to stop her, I just couldn't even try yet. I didn't know what to say, hey, sorry about making you think you went crazy, that was actually my friends and I this whole time. No biggie, we cool? I somehow doubted that things would blow off so easily. I stood there, watching her pull away and giving me a confused look. I couldn't believe my friends and I managed to make her this freaked out, but I was also sort of proud. I mean, it takes skill to do that, let me tell you, and stealth. Like Sam and I had, in the shower…

                I closed my eyes. I am literally such an idiot sometimes I can't even take it.

                Taking a deep breath, I walked back to my car only to find someone waiting for me this time. It was none other than Sam himself, sitting quite relaxed against my car.

                "So, I kind of was planning on leaving right away, if you don't mind," he said.

                "That's totally fine. I just have to get my bags, which are already packed," I said, a little nervous.

                "Cool, how about I come by your house now then? I can follow behind you with my car now."

                "Sounds good," I said.

                As soon as he walked away I just about had a heart attack. This was really happening.

***

"So I trust your mother will be there the whole time?" my dad asked Sam as we stood by the car, my bags packed inside.

                Oh, no… this is just going to be embarrassing.

                "Yes sir," Sam answered, nodding.

                "And you have separate rooms?"

                "Oh gosh golly dad, please stop," I said, slapping my hand to my forehead and blushing in embarrassment.

                "Yes sir," Sam said again.

                "Ok," dad said. "I would have said no to this whole trip if Quinn would have asked me before agreeing herself. But it sounded like it would be a fun time for the both of you."

                And that was really the reason he was letting me do this anyway, so I could have fun for once. In his eyes this would be a way for me to get away from my depression for awhile. Although that was impossible; it always is there, creeping up on me when I should be happy, I think that this weekend will make me feel better and it'll be a chance to get away.

                "Thank you sir," Sam said.

                My dad walked over and hugged me tight, "I'll be seeing you soon. Be safe. Drive safe, Sam."

                "Of course," Sam said.

                "Jeez, dad, can tone done the mean-guy thing, please?"

                "I don't know what you're talking about," dad said.

                I rolled my eyes, getting into the car after Sam had and shut my door, a wall between my dad and I.

                "So sorry about that," I apologized right away.

                "It's okay," he said with a small laugh, which sounded a bit faked.

                "My dad does that sometimes. He can be a little protective."

                He always has been, even more since mom. I got myself comfy, it was going to be a bit of a drive, three hours to be exact. As he started his GPS I looked back at my house, only to find my dad peering out the window again at us. When we finally pulled out of the driveway I felt as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I finally started to relax. All last night I was worrying about this trip, so I hardly got any sleep. But now the sleep was coming back to me and not even five minutes later I managed to fall into a deep slumber.

***

"Quinn," I heard a faint voice say and felt like the world was shaking.

                "What?" I mumbled.

                "You need to get up," the voice said.

                "But I hate getting up… I always hate it. I don't want to."

                "What, Quinn?"

                "I'm sorry," I whimpered.

                "You need to wake up, I decided to stop to get some food if you want to…"

                Confused, I opened my eyes and realized I was in a car, and then everything came back to me again and I blushed so brightly. Oh my, I just admitted something too private to him. He probably thinks I'm crazy.

                "You don't ever want to get up?" he asked, confused.

                "Sorry, I must have been sleep talking," I said. I looked around and we were pulled in front of a Mexican restaurant. "I didn't mean to fall asleep, I just didn't get much last night."

                "Why not?" he asked me.

                "I kept myself up, thinking."

                He looked at me with worry, "About what?"               

                "I… I don't know a lot of stuff. Don't worry about me, Sam. Now why did we stop?"

                "For some Mexican food if you want some, I'm starving," Sam said, a worried look still in his eyes.

                "Sure!" I said.

                "Awesome."

                We got out of the car and walked up to the nice looking restaurant. I remembered how wealthy Sam's dad was again and my heart sank. I could pay, of course, but it would probably be half the money my dad had given me for this entire trip, if the entire bill was about forty dollars. Sam told the hostess that we needed a table for two and she instantly got us menus and led us to a table. Once we sat down I peered at the menu and it's prices.

                "I can pay, don't worry about the prices," Sam said.

                "Sam," I whined. "I can pay for us this time, considering you've bought me ice cream and dinner already."

                Sam only rolled his eyes. "Don't worry, Quinn."

                "I can pay," I said.

                "My dad gave me money again for the trip, a lot of it," he replied.

                I sighed.

                "I'll pay," he said, as if it was decided. Which I guess it was considering I shouldn't pay because I was so low on money at the moment.

                "Thanks," I said.

                "Don't worry about it."

                After the waitress came and we placed our orders, Sam continued where he wanted to in the conversation. To something I didn't want to talk to him about.

                "So what were you thinking about last night that kept you up? Does that happen often?" he asked me.

                I looked out the window at the cars racing by on the highway and didn't know what to do. On one hand I wanted to spill my guts to Sam, he always made me feel so much better, letting all my thoughts out did. But I didn't want to worry Sam with my problems, then I would just worry about him. Sam doesn't deserve to have to know about everything.

                I shook my head, "Believe me Sam, you don't want to know about my problems."

                Sam reached forward and grabbed my hand, "I care about you, Quinn. I do want to know."

                I looked at our hands and felt my palms begin to sweat. That wasn't very attractive, was it?

                "Tell me," he said.

                His voice was like butter and of course it weakened me enough to spill.

                "I was thinking about this weekend. And then I started to think about my mom. And then I started to think about how I feel all the time. It just kept me up."

                "How you feel all the time?" he asked me.

                "Sad," I answered.

                "Do you think of it as a problem? Like cl-"

                Before he could even say 'clinically', I stood up and muttered something about using the bathroom. I hurried past tables and bumped into a man who I could obviously see was annoyed. I ran into the bathroom and ran into a stall and sat on a toilet. And I realized I was going in too deep again, I was telling him too much, just like what I was trying to avoid. It was just him, he sucked me in enough to tell him things he would be much better off not knowing. He had this little power over me. I breathed in and out, in and out, carefully, trying to calm myself.

                No more, Quinn.

                You cannot tell him anything else.

                Or you could really screw up a nice friendship.

                After deciding to use the toilet and taking another five minutes to calm myself, I finally went back out there. Our food was at the table now and I sat down, biting my lip. Sam was mid-bite and looked up at me.

                "Are you okay?"

                "Yes," I said, smiling.

                It was almost as if he could  see right through that smile. He knew it was fake. He knew that I was not alright. And he wasn't going to prod further… thank God.

                "This looks amazing," I said, pulling my enchilada closer to me.

                "This place is great," he said, smiling wide, a piece of something stuck in one of his teeth.

                I decided to not tell him.

***

                When we got back to the car I felt guilty for confessing so much more than I wanted. Sam probably thinks I'm loony now. I confessed to feeling sad all the time, he probably realizes I'm depressed, he was close to pointing it out before I left the table. I thought the rest of the car ride was going to be awful, but instead it was the opposite. It was nice.

                We talked about silly things for the rest of the way, and it was nice to just joke with someone for awhile, to get my mind off of other things.

                But as I laughed at something Sam had said, I realized that I really liked him. And I wasn't completely sure if it was just a friendship thing.

*****

So remember to tell me how you think the story will end! I want to see if you guys are expecting what is to coming! (:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

69.1K 1.5K 23
[Highest Ranking - #1 in Realistic Fiction] [Highest Ranking - #33 in Eating Disorder] Isabella is like any normal 16 year old girl. She wakes up, go...
29.5K 2.6K 22
That day was only retained in her dreams, and when Faith awoke, she brought only three things back with her. Loud pops of the gunfire. Her father's v...
Abigail By Hannah

Teen Fiction

58.3K 1.7K 30
(In editing) She's depressed. She's anorexic. She's suicidal. She's insecure. Abigail has grown up with her three brothers and James, never meeting h...
2.7K 97 34
We all have a past, one we try to run from, a past we try to hide from. One anticipation to another the loyalties of death are what becomes us. I wan...