Rhythm of Heartbreak (COMPLET...

By avidnovela

Jess is an innocent soul that only wants one thing in her life and that is to be bound with Shaun forever. Sh... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 10

47 5 3
By avidnovela

The day has come for the annual music awards to take place Jess was there early and feasted her eyes on the grand ballroom of the main event. Her eyes sparkled with anticipation, every corner of the arrangement was carefully crafted and planned, no wonder that this was indeed a night that everyone was looking forward to. The designs reminded her of a pleasant fantasy world full of sparkles and glitter. The arc which was the main attraction was filled with geode material and it was magical. When she was younger, she was fascinated by those rocks as she learned about them in her books, these were plain on the outside but can have beautiful crystals on the inside. They were also formed in the bubbles in volcanic rock. Over time, dissolved minerals seep into a hollow area and harden into an outer shell creating rock material, such a precious mineral that people don't usually notice the first time is now the center of attraction.

The stage was of these shapes that look very angular and complex. And the surfaces were covered with these very, very small crystals. She also noticed that the set changes dramatically depending on the lighting. It can be lit in a variety of colors. By itself, it's neutral and silver, but the lights give it a different look. They have intense blues and red and they make it pink at some point. It was indeed very versatile in that way. The creative minds of the stage director and the whole crew were admirable, they made such a big change in the setup that coincided with the theme of tonight's event. 

Warm hands touched Jess's bare back and she suddenly jolted. When she looked up it was Alexander.

"Are you ready for this?" he asked as the smile never left his face.

She was tempted to respond No but decided against it. She offered a small nod instead and his face lit up even more.

The preparation for this event wasn't easy Rick Reed never cast his shadow during the entire ordeal, so Alexander decided to have her play her part alone and thus she has no clear picture of how they can blend the harmonies which added to the pressure. In the end, she can lose everything after this night while Rick Reed would have to move on and break another album perhaps unscathed. If only he had shown up even once in those practice sessions so that they could work together, it would have made a huge difference to her confidence.

"Remember what you practiced, just do what you have to do, and Rick will do the rest. Don't be nervous okay, I believe in you" Alexander offered some words of encouragement.

She nodded unsure of what he meant.

Jess decided to calm her nerves and walked towards the couch. The production crew was all caught up with the last-minute preparation, there were also famous music artists who had their makeup done and the final construction of their outfits and their lines preoccupied everyone. She then thought that everyone had their role to play.

She looked upon her dress, never in a million years did she believe that she would have the chance to wear a dress this fancy.

It was a form-fitting, strapless, gold sequin dress. It accentuates some good features of her body that she didn't even realize she had, her curves were emphasized and showed enough skin that made her look dashing, it made her look confident even though it was the absolute opposite of what she felt inside.

Jess's hair was carefully fixed to match her dress as the hairdresser managed to create a voluminous champagne curl that cascaded over her bare shoulders, wafting a delicate touch to her overall look.

When her make-up was done, she paused and wondered if it was hers.

"You are lovely, I don't have to do much since you already have a good bone structure, and your eyes, speak depth" the make-up artist commented which made her blush.

She studied herself in the mirror one more time and she smiled.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the host pleasantly welcome the esteemed guest as the formal opening of the event started. She panicked.

"It has begun..." she whispered. Her eyes roamed around backstage, and she tried to see if Rick had arrived, but no alluring presence came to her aid.

"Where could he be?" she whispered. She tried to scan the crowd further as he looked for Alexander. She needed assurance that Rick was there, her heartbeat doubled as she entertained the possibility that she might be presenting alone on the big stage.

She gulped.

The production crew was swift as she walked towards her telling her that she was next. Panic started to kick in even further. Jess was trying to squeeze her palm because she felt numb, and she started to hyperventilate.

She tried to close her eyes as she listened to her breathing.

"I can do this. I can do this..." she uttered over and over. She started humming as she tried to calm her senses. When she felt she was better she took careful steps heading to the massive stage.

When she finally stepped out of the platform the blinding light cast on Jess's eyes that she squinted away from it, she tried to manage her gaze and attempted to see the audience from the open however failed genuinely. The loud uproar from the stadium made her even more nervous. Her heartbeat tripled, sweat slowly forming on her forehead as she clasped her clammy hands together. She could not believe that this would be her debut and in the grandest way possible. She was nobody for the past few weeks trying to mend her broken heart from a love that was just a joke for someone, she has come a long way and she's wondering if these are all just beautiful dreams. Jess felt everything was surreal. 

When the tune aired in the stadium, she suddenly closed her eyes, she needed to focus.

Jess started to hum some vibrato creating an ethereal effect as she gently uttered the lyrics. Her breathy voice added some drama as she was switching from chest to head voice. She was self-conscious at first but after a few verses, she forgot about the audience. The emotions that Jess felt were impossible to accurately describe. The power of music went through her body. Blues took her away.

Her voice rose high, following the sweet, piping notes of the musician's. A soft silence fell over the audience; they were enthralled by the intoxicating melody produced by such a slender throat. From the very depths of her soul, the song rose and swelled, and it seemed as if all could feel her sorrows and joys. For a moment, the audience and singer were like one; her pain was theirs, and her happiness was their happiness. Her vocals were intense, a slow, rolling build that crashed into the souls of the listening like a great wave.

Relief came over her as she completed her part without a single mistake. She paused and snapped, her eyes opened, and she started to freeze, the next line wouldn't be hers anymore. Thousands of thoughts came into mind on how she could pull this off.

Where are you, Rick Reed? She thought. Jess was about to rigidly attempt to fill in the lines when his voice echoed throughout the entire arena.

There he was in all his glory appearing out of the blue.

He walked to the stage in slow motion, like taking his time in the world, Rick Reed's enigmatic gaze fell on her. He has the most wonderful eyes – they are hazel, mostly, but darken to grey in correspondence to his mood. During her encounters with him she noticed that he seldom smiled, but tonight he was all for it as his eyes shined through too and it was this radiance that made every man and woman who sees it feel the irresistible impulse to smile as well, just by looking at him, she felt peace. She was unsure if he was doing this for the show or what he felt at that moment.

Her eyes were glued on Rick, he looked so tall, so dependable. He wore a dark-fitted tuxedo and for some reason her first word was sexy. His hair was carefully brushed exposing all his wonderful features. She shouldn't be thinking this way towards him, right? But then again, she can't help it.

The music continued to swell as the music filled the air. Rick was there the moment the event formally started; it was intentional not to see Jess because he has never been good at collaboration. His initial reactions to the duet were more of a lengthy banter towards Bennie and Alexander but even after that, there was nothing he could do to change their minds. But, having to witness her talent, her raw vocals, and the length of her emotions during the practice sessions which she probably didn't know he attended, he can't deny that he was in awe. Someone can rarely stir emotions in him much more than admitting his admiration.

The crescendo of tones hit Rick as he tried to compensate for her performance, her opening was melancholic and it made him remind himself to focus, how can someone be this talented? Having to utter the words in response to what Jess sang and having his emotions displayed created tranquility amongst the audience. No one uttered a word as their eyes were focused on the two artists on the stage.  

As each lyric was rolled on his tongue, a cascade of memories and regret started to form in Rick's mind. At that moment, he started singing the words as his voice emerged from the orchestra which emphasized how he felt. The melody and the lyrics allowed him to tell the audience what he had gone through, everything he had experienced, was worth the terrible price he had to pay.

Jess saw a brief of sadness as she captured how he interpreted the performance but he was also quick to mask it around, having to closely witness his greatness was an understatement, Rick has much control over his voice, he can sing low and high notes without worries and his enigmatic presence is undeniable, no wonder a lot of people adore him.

Rick Reed is talented. Jess concluded.

Rick moved closer to her as she was aware that she had to share her piece again, this was the part where she was practically worried that they didn't practice, however, she let it go, Alexander did say Rick would do the rest and for some reason she believes it.

She then uttered her part of the song and when Rick started to compliment it, her excitement was rising. It sounded good. He was not talking, instead, he was blending into what she was doing, it was perfectly executed on his part, and the harmony was fit as their voices continued to collide giving everyone chills. The harmonies fall into place, like a puzzle that you successfully solve. It took much of her will to remain focused for Rick's eyes were on her, studying her every move making her feel vulnerable.

He moved further towards her as Jess suddenly felt her heart skip. The last gesture made her out of breath as he gently tilted her chin while his eyes were on her, hypnotizing her whole being. As the last lyrics were said the final music faded. They paused and Jess couldn't help but blush with their closeness when suddenly Rick kissed her cheek out of nowhere.

A loud uproar was yet again heard from the audience, breaking the spell that Rick cast on her. They faced the crowd as she smiled blindly not sure where to look, an ultimate relief enveloped her core as their earlier encounter flashed through her mind, she suddenly felt Rick's hand on her waist and abruptly a thousand bolts hit her simultaneously, his hands were perfectly cupping her small frame and she briefly watched him as his emotions remained passive.

A few moments passed and Jess was led away from the stage and finally allowed herself to process what had happened.

"That was a soulful performance back there. You two are perfect! I am so proud." Alexander uttered as he walked past them quickly.

Jess offered a small smile and then saw Rick intently staring at her.

She raised her brow.

"You were late..." she blurted and was shocked by her untimely comment. She punched herself inward as she forgot to exhibit her manners.

A loud chuckle erupted from Rick's mouth as his head tilted from left to right.

Jess gasped when out of nowhere Rick lifted her chin once again, their faces facing each other as she could feel his hot breath on her cheek. This is way too close!

"I have my eyes on you, Jess Lynn," he uttered and with that, he walked away leaving her mouth wide as his words tried to sink in.

"What does he mean by that?" she thought, she then turned around and saw the last image of Rick as he completely ushered himself out of the backstage while a smirk registered on Alexander's lips amused by the scene in front of him. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 124 21
"If you love me, you won't leave me." Jessie has believed those words from her boyfriend, Josh, since senior year of high school. She loves him and d...
2.1M 83.5K 68
how far would you go . . . for someone you love? ♔ Levi steps forward, placing himself between me and Jack. Like he's protecting me from him. But I d...
247 59 46
*First in the Fire Whiskey series* 'What if I was making the wrong choice again, picking the bad guy over the steady and reliable one? Because as I...
10.6K 891 20
Two individuals who are polar opposites of one another. "You are a pain in my eyes, Sunny." Find each other in the most unexpected times. But as tim...