Konoha Academy's Dormitory (N...

By Airin0606

After the academy had declared that it would be reducing its number of student intakes this year; Tenten made... More

The Proposal
Henge No Jutsu
Roommates
Welcome Speech
Initiation
Maito Gai
The Nightmare
Beware of the Byakugan
Tenten and Neji's Past
Uchihaa Itachi
Share my..Tent
Ambush
Confession of the heart
Set-Up
First Kiss
Sleeping Arrangments
Train with Us
Dance
Crush
Arranged Marriage
He Left
Valentine
Oshima Island
The Uchihaa Clan
Beary Angry
Mangekyou
Itachi's Confession
Tenten's Realisation
Accidental Kiss
Caught Red Handed
Sleep with me
Culprits
Neji's Arranged Marriage
Changes
Truth
Hyuuga Aiko
Baby
Baby, Say Yes

The Engagement

751 21 36
By Airin0606

It was the weekend and Neji literally dashed out of his dormitory, he had packed his backpack in advanced and ran straight back towards the Hyuuga household. The last thing he wanted was to see Tenten. He could not do it anymore; he could no longer deny it anymore. It had been there for the longest time, but he chose to ignore it. His mind wandered into the way Tenten slept in her normal form, her gentle breathing and her sudden bursts of "sleep speech". He looked forward to it every single night, it calmed his senses to sleep. He enjoyed training with her more than with his two other freaky teammates, he enjoyed watching how gracefully she deposited each weapons straight towards its target. He knew, he knew, he was harbouring feelings for his roommate/teammate but he was quite certain that it was a one-sided love.

It killed him to have to say those words to Tenten. It killed him to encourage her to be with another man.

He thought of what he had said to Itachi, was it true that his request of getting Itachi to distance himself away from Tenten was because of Tenten's well being or was it because of his underlying selfish jealousy? He thought about it Long and hard. He spent nights avoiding Tenten on purpose just so he could think of the most rationale thing to do. The last thing he wanted was for Tenten to get hurt. He wanted her to be happy, even if that means driving her to the arms of another-someone that was not him. If Tenten liked Itachi just as how he thought she did, then she should be with him. He did not want his unnecessary declaration of feelings to confuse Tenten's thoughts. No, he would live in pain and sorrow. As long as she was happy.

He halted in front of the huge gates of the Hyuuga household when he was graced by an odd visitor's presence- Uchihaa Itachi.

"Hello Neji." Itachi greeted calmly.

Neji sighed, Itachi was the last person he wanted to see.

"Itachi." Neji nodded curtly before he made a move to notify the guards of his arrival, Hyuugas were highly protective of their household.

"That won't be necessary.. I am here to have a quick word with you. I wanted to inform you that I cannot. I tried my best to forget him. But I can't. I will find a way to make everything work, even if the odds are against me I will.." Itachi started but stopped abruptly when his eyes traveled to an odd scene before him, it was Teiji in his female form. Itachi's eyes widened when he saw the beautiful brunette with her customary hair buns walking towards him. She halted as she saw him, gulped but continued walking in a slower pace towards him.

"T-Teiji??" Itachi spluttered the words out, "W-why are you.. Are you in a Mission?"

Tenten stopped as she stood in front of Itachi, she looked guilty as she looked up to him, "Icchan.. I need to tell you something.."

"Inside." Neji ordered them when they were attracting the attention of a few passerby.

Neji brought them into a quiet conference room and motioned them to enter, as soon as they did, Neji shut the door firmly and waited outside.

Tenten bowed down towards Itachi as She yelled, "Please forgive me! I know you might not be able to but please! I need to tell you the truth, just as Neji have said, you have been nothing but kind towards me. This is not how I should repay your kindness. You deserve to know the truth. And the truth is, I am a woman, my name is Tenten. I disguised myself using a henge because there were no slots left for the kunoichi department. I wanted to get stronger to atone for the sins of my late Father. I didn't expect you to fall for me. I am sorry to have lead you on. You must really hate me..." Tenten did not manage to finish her sentence, she felt a firm hand grabbing onto her right shoulder.

"Rise. Now." Itachi ordered.

Tenten did as she was told, she rose up slowly from her bowing figure, but kept her gaze down towards the carpeted floor.

"Look at me." Itachi persuaded gently.

Tenten did so, she was pretty sure that she would meet the angry red sharingan eyes, but instead, a pair of dark coal gentle eyes stared back at her. Itachi held both her shoulders delicately before he started, "Do you know when exactly I have fallen in love with you?"

Tenten shook her head, her face was now red as Itachi moved closer towards her, she could even smell his notable scent due to the closeness of their bodies; peppermint. Itachi bent his head down and whispered softly in Tenten's ear, "The day you transformed into a woman during the Mission. I thought I was going mad for falling in love with a henge of you. Afterwards, I fell in love with your behaviour, then your laughter, then your voice and that was when I realised, I love you irregardless. No matter who you are. I am in love with you. This makes everything way easier.."

"Senpai~ oomph~!" was all that Tenten managed to say before Itachi's mouth crashed into hers. She returned it gently, it was a nice feeling, her heart fluttered a little when his lips were onto hers, when she opened her eyes, she was oddly hoping to see pale lavender eyes but were met with coal dark eyes. Her eyes widened before she thought quietly, "What was that?!"

Itachi broke the kiss and held onto her hand, "Takagi Tenten, I love you. I will wait for you." With that, Itachi left the room, leaving Tenten to her thoughts.

—————————————————

Neji was still standing firmly in front of the room, he had activated his byakugan (despite the strict restriction of doing so within the Hyuuga household) and saw, the kiss. His heart broke into a million tiny pieces. He felt betrayed of his affections which left his heart in shattered disarray of pieces. The view of the kiss made it impossible for him to put himself back together. Yet, he was the one who brought them together, he was the one who yearned for Tenten's happiness. Her happiness, equates to his sadness. Neji held onto his chest, it felt like his heart was forcing its way out of his chest, he started to inhale and exhale loudly before he heard a loud cough coming from his right, he turned to see his Uncle, Hiashi, motioning Neji to join him. They sat down quietly on the floor before Hiashi cleared his throat and said, "Neji.. Are you.. Alright?"

Neji nodded as he spoke up, "Yes, just a little heart burn that's all. Hiashi-Sama, Uchihaa Itachi has revealed that he harbours feelings towards Takagi-San. He almost did the unthinkable; introducing Takagi-San to his clan members in his male form. But I have talked both out of it, Takagi-San had revealed that she is in fact a lady posing as a man all these whole. Itachi will be looking after her from now on. May I request that you remove me as her official protector..."

"No." Hiashi interrupted.

Neji flinched a little before he continued, "Hiashi-Sama.. Itachi is a highly capable shinobi. I am pretty sure he can protect Takagi-San.."

"Neji.." Hiashi's form voice started, "Itachi is a capable shinobi but you are her Friend aren't you? He might like her more than a Friend but the relationship that you and Tenten have is something that even an Uchihaa prodigy can't take away. She needs you more than anything now. Has she revealed that she shares the same emotions towards Itachi? Has she said out the words yet?"

Neji thought Long and hard and he realised his answer was "No.."

"Neji, listen. I am sorry but I can't retract my previous orders.. Given the circumstances.. There is something that your Father wanted me to pass on to you.. When the time calls for it. I cannot think of a much destined timing other than this. Here you go." With that Hiashi thrusted an old looking envelope that had Hyuuga Hizashi's neat handwriting on it. It wrote ; To Neji.

—————————————————

Itachi was on cloud nine, he could not believe his luck. The person he had been yearning for, was a lady. He did not mind Teiji as a male, but he was certain his stupid clan would not. This would make things much easier than it was before. He just had to wait for Tenten's answer. But he was positive that she liked him just as much. He had not felt this amount of joy exploding within himself. He was strolling down towards the Uchihaa compound, yes strolling, before he bumped into a familiar figure right outside the doorstep of the Uchihaa compound. He held onto her arms to stop her from falling towards him.

"And I thought you could read minds.." Itachi mused at his beautiful ANBU senior before him, who smirked in return.

"I can. Was extremely happy to read your mind that I got distracted...I couldn't believe it! Itachi-Kun! You have finally found someone that you feel safe with. I am pretty sure you will not even think of running away again.." Airin exclaimed heartily before Itachi did the most peculiar thing, he pulled Airin closer towards him and hugged her warmly.

"Thank you, Airin-Senpai. I am glad you find this piece of information, enlightening. Used to hate the fact that you could read minds, but now, it feels wonderful to know that I have a friend who cares about my thoughts. You are right, I will not let her out of my sight. I will not leave this place ever.." Itachi stopped when he heard something crashed.

He turned his head to the side to meet the faces of both his parents, his Mother had accidentally dropped a vase onto the floor while his Father looked at both of them with astonishment plastered across his face.

"Otou-San? Kaa-San?" Itachi asked his parents worriedly, his eyes then slowly darted towards Airin who was still in his embrace, she gave a small knowing smile before she rolled her eyes. "Airin-Senpai? What is happening?"

Before she could reply, Fugaku cleared his throat and pointed a shaky finger towards Airin before he stammered, "I-it's t-true? A-are you..I-is she..? Are the two of you having an affair behind Kakashi's back?"

Itachi let go of Airin from his grasp to face palm his own face, hard. "Oh Brother.." Itachi exhaled.

—————————————————

After explaining for around 1/2 an hour to his parents in the presence of Airin and Kakashi himself, Fugaku finally came into terms that his Son was in love with another. He was finally convinced that the relationship shared between Airin and his Son were platonic- nothing more of unrelated sibling love.

"What.. Drove you to this conclusion?" Kakashi asked curiously, his hand absently intertwined with Airin's left hand which was resting on his lap.

Fugaku sighed, "Well.. If anyone were to catch Itachi's heart should undoubtedly be beautiful. He had never even batted an eyelid towards any woman. He would also be close to that person. So I suspected Airin-San. She had the entire package plus she and Itachi are close. Just that she is married to you.."

Airin chuckled quietly before she started, "Having one husband is already a handful. I don't think I can handle being in an affair.. Is that okonomiyaki I smell?"

Mikoto nodded gently before she ushered Airin and Kakashi to the dining room, leaving Fugaku and Itachi alone.

"Itachi..." Fugaku started but was interrupted by his son.

"I love her father. I know you and the clan will not agree to it, but I do not wish to spend the rest of my life with any other woman. It might be hard for you to accept it, given the fact that she is not from any prestigious clan but..." Itachi stopped when his father raised a hand up.

"What made you fall for this.. woman?" Fugaku asked him seriously.

"Her perspective of things. She can flip any circumstances upside down." Itachi responded swiftly.

Fugaku nodded before he stood up and said, "I would like to meet her."

Itachi looked up towards his father and gave the elder man a small nod, "When she is ready. I will bring her over. Give her time. I have only expressed my feelings towards her. She needs time."

Itachi stood up and walked towards the door but halted when Fugaku's delicate voice shook the silence of the room, "I will not get in the way, neither will the clan of your decision. I will speak to the elders."

Itachi who was having his back facing his Father, smiled, "Thank you, Otou-San. This means a lot to me."

—————————————————

Dearest Neji,

I have tasked your Uncle to safeguard this letter until you are officially ready to face the next phase of your life- finding the significant other.

I would like to share with you, what I had gone through before I met your Mother. I met a lady whose eyes sparkled like the gentle glow of the stars. Whose laughter shook my heart in ways I could never understand. She was a stubborn fool, always landed herself in trouble for standing up for what she believed in; equality. We fought and we quarrelled countlessly, but I secretly enjoyed those little fights, the way her face fumed whenever I annoyed her. I was not the most sociable person on earth, so I would do absolutely anything I could to strike a conversation with her. I knew right then, that I loved her.

Alas, the clan chose your mother, from the Hyuuga clan as my bride. I did not retaliate to the decision. I followed suit and married your mother. You were the best blessing that I had, I would not trade you for the world, but I regretted for the longest time, of what I did not do.

The woman whom I loved, never knew of my feelings for her, she never knew that she meant the world to me and she will never know that she took a piece of my heart along with her.

My Son,

Do not make the same mistake that I did. Silence is a virtue but feigning ignorance is another. I have a strong feeling that you will take up my behaviour in this aspect. You should never deny your feelings. If you have agreed to an arranged marriage, then my blessings are with you. But if you are harbouring feelings for another, do not let history repeat itself, do not lead the life of regret due to a single cowardice act.

Sincerely,
Hyuuga Hizashi.

Neji read and re-read the letter over and over again. He could not believe what he read. His father, whom he looked up to, the righteous, strict, formidable Hyuuga- was in love with another. He not only sacrificed his soul but also his heart for someone else.

"What should I do?" Neji whispered quietly to himself, wondering when he would ever find the answer to that.

—————————————————

Tenten was seated cross-legged on the branch of an oak tree that was situated right in front of her bedroom window. She looked up towards the starry night sky. The stars were enchanting; they twinkled and flickered countlessly, but still returned after hiding away in the shadows of the dark night sky. Tenten sighed softly before she heard the silent hum of a human voice behind her. She addressed the person without looking back, "Hey Anko. How was the mission?"

Anko shrugged as she scooted over towards Tenten, "Same old. Got into a fight with your stupid trainer again- Gai. I swear if I were to be partnered with him on another Mission, I will burn the Hokage's tower down."

Tenten gave Anko a soft smile but returned her gaze towards the sky.

Anko frowned, Tenten usually laughed at all her jokes, especially if they were about her crazy teacher, "So.. What's wrong?"

Tenten sighed as she spoke, "Itachi knows that I am a woman. He had confessed his love for me.. Neji encouraged me to tell Itachi. So I did.. I should feel happy shouldn't I Anko? But why do I feel like crap?"

Anko bit her lip, she knew exactly what was bothering her god-daughter. She breathed in before she asked, "The handsome Hyuuga.."

"..Neji.. Anko, his name is Neji." Tenten sighed in exasperation.

"..Neji then.. He encouraged you to tell Itachi? I mean.. He did not say or express anything to you? I mean it did not bother him?"

Tenten shook her head with a dry chuckle, "He said and I repeat: Why should it bother him?"

Anko cursed under her breath. What an idiot, what a complete idiot. Neji was an exact replica of his Father. Living in indenial. For whatever reason she could never fathom. Anko rubbed the back of her neck as she looked towards Tenten.

"You like him. Don't you?" Anko's voice was barely audible, just slightly above a Whisper.

Tenten turned her head towards Anko, she gave Anko a small smile before she whispered back, "Itachi. I will give Itachi his answer tomorrow. Good night Anko."

—————————————————

It had been a year since they joined in the academy, 6 months since Tenten revealed to the Hokage of her actual gender and 6 months since Tenten had been transferred to a new female roommate, 6 months since Neji had proper continuous sleep at night. The Hokage was initially furious but upon hearing Tenten's reasoning and persuasion from Hiashi and secretly from Neji himself, the Hokage gave in with a stern warning.

And today, was the day that Neji's heart was going to scatter into a million tiny pieces.

It was Tenten and Itachi's engagement ceremony.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 681 8
Neji has 50 days to find out who his mystery pen pal is. Tenten just doesn't want to get caught. Short and sweet, partly chatfic, modern au. Obviousl...
31.1K 625 43
Tenten always have disliked Neji. Growing up, Neji was mean. He has changed later on but Tenten still dislike Neji. Until something happened that cha...
12.4K 272 49
at konoha high sakura, ino, hinata, and tenten are not so popular but, little did they know that the most popular guys in school, sasuke, shikamaru...
175K 5.1K 24
Kakashi and Sakura were both trapped in a blizzard for days. The moment Kakashi's body goes into a hypothermic state-a core temperature that's too lo...