Read My Lips

By LoveAtWar

Maisie's deaf, she understands what everyone is saying to her by reading their lips. But, high school wasn't... More

Prologue
Read My Lips: Chapter 1
Read My Lips: Chapter 2
Read My Lips: Chapter 3
Read My Lips: Chapter 4
Read My Lips: Chapter 5
Read My Lips: Chapter 6
Read My Lips: Chapter 7
Read My Lips: Chapter 8
Read My Lips: Chapter 9
Read My Lips: Chapter 10
Read My Lips: Chapter 11
Read My Lips: Chapter 12
Read My Lips: Chapter 13
Read My Lips: Chapter 14
Read My Lips: Chapter 15
Read My Lips: Chapter 17
Read My Lips: Chapter 18
Read My Lips: Chapter 19
Read My Lips: Chapter 20
Read My Lips: Chapter 21
Read My Lips: Chapter 22
Read My Lips: Chapter 23
Read My Lips: Chapter 24
Read My Lips: Chapter 25
Read My Lips: Chapter 26
Read My Lips: Chapter 27
New Story!

Read My Lips: Chapter 16

89.2K 2.5K 511
By LoveAtWar

Chapter 16

Finally getting out of hospital was a relief to say the least. I didn’t know how much longer I could handle sleeping in the awful beds and having to eat the awful food. It was definitely at the top of my hate list.

Zach had gone back to school since he’d already missed days by coming to visit me so I had to practically force him to go back. My mum had taken Austin home leaving me with my dad who was taking me home separately since someone had to stay to sign forms and all that stuff.

I stayed sitting on the bed whilst my dad thanked all the doctors and nurses after he’d signed the forms that needed to be signed. After everything was sorted, dad came back into the room where he picked up my bag of belongings and stood in front of me.

“You ready to leave?” He asked a soft smile sketched onto his face. He pulled his car keys out of his pocket and waited for me to stand up.

“Let go.” I grinned, happy to be getting away from this room. After politely thanking the nurses and doctors, I was finally sat in the passenger seat of the car ready to go home.

----

The weeks passed after my operation and it was finally time to go for my check-up. My hearing device was going to be turned on and the doctor had to check to see if it was working and if I could hear. It felt like all I’d being doing lately was hoping for the best and hoping that I’d be able to hear again.

On top of that, it was December meaning Christmas was just around the corner. Small snow showers had already began, not to mention the fact it was freezing outside. Despite the coldness, Christmas and winter were my favourite times of the year. There was just something about them that made me really happy. I always felt… festive.

So when it was time for me to go to the doctors, I’d made sure that I was all wrapped up. I had my jeans on, a sweatshirt and a jumper along with my big coat and a scarf. You could never be too warm. I also made sure to grab my gloves and hat before we left the house to go to the doctors. I was a sucker when it came to the cold. I swear I felt the cold more than the warmth.

My mum was waiting in the kitchen for me. Dad had taken Austin to his nursery before he had gone to work. Since my mum didn’t work, she was the one taking me to my check-up. To be honest, I was really nervous. I didn’t know if I was going to be able to hear again or not and that scared me. All I could do was hope for the best.

On the kitchen table, there was a plate of breakfast waffles ready to be eaten. Taking advantage of the fact there was just me and mum in the house; I took a few of them, placed them on my plate and coated them in golden syrup. It was one of my favourite breakfast meals.

After I placed the syrup down, I looked back up to see my mum looking at me strangely like I’d suddenly grown another head. For a moment, I was confused as to whether she was staring at the breakfast I had or the clothes that I was currently wearing. Then I spoke up.

“What?” I asked whilst shoving a fork full of food into my mouth.

My mum shook her head at me in amusement before replying to me. “You warm enough?”

I looked down once more at my outfit then looked back at my mum. “Sure…”

She just laughed whilst finishing off her own breakfast. The room was silent as we finished off our food. Neither one of us talked as we tucked into the delicious breakfast that mum had prepared.

My phone vibrated in my pocket making me drop my fork and stop eating. Pulling my phone from my pocket, I unlocked it to see it was a text from Zach. A smile spread across my face as I opened the message.

*Good luck with your check-up today, text me when what’s happened and I’ll see you tonight.xx*

A nudge to my leg made me look up from my phone screen. Mum was staring at me with a grin, obviously having an idea who the text was from. It was as if she was psychic.

“Is it Zach?” She asked after she’d finished off the rest of her breakfast, placing the knife and fork down together.

I bit my lip whilst nodding in reply. “Can he come over tonight?”

“Sure, I don’t see why not. Hurry and finish your juice we need to leave.” Mum replied, picking up her plate and glass and then heading over to the sink.

Doing as I was told, I finished off the rest of my orange juice before finally replying to Zach.

*Thank you, mum said you can come over if you like.xx* I added the two kisses just like he had.

Suddenly my mum’s face appeared in front of my own making me jump as an automatic reaction. I held my hand to my chest and let out a sigh of relief. She tended to scare me a lot.

“You scare me.” I gasped, dropping my hand. I let out a small laugh at the fact she had somehow managed to scare me.

“Sorry. Get your shoes on.”

After handing my plate and glass to my mum, I left the room and headed to the shoe rack in the hallway. Grabbing my boots, I sat on the stairs to put them on. I was sure that I was going to look like an idiot going out dressed like this but at least I’d be warm.

I sat in the passenger side of the car, my mum got in the drivers and we began the journey to the doctors. The roads were currently slushy because of the previous snow storm that we’d had so we were driving slow in case the car slid. Not that it would but my mum liked to take extra precautions.

Arriving at the medical centre where I was having my check-up, I headed to the waiting area whilst my mum signed in for me. The worst part about visiting the doctor was definitely the waiting part. It always made me so nervous.

I pulled off my hat, scarf and gloves so that I didn’t get any weird looks from other people who were in the building. Fair enough it was cold outside but maybe I was too wrapped up.

“Maisie Evans.” My name was finally called. I was glad that I didn’t have to wait that long until my name was called. I guess I was a little impatient.

Mum went first and I followed after her. Since it was my appointment, she made me sit in the chair that was closest to the doctor. She then sat on the chair beside me.

The doctor proceeded to do his job. He asked me questions about my operation, how I was feeling etc. He then took notes of my hearing device before he announced that he was going to turn it on.

The doctor scooted closer to me. “Ok, you’re one of the few people who’ve had these implants in both ears. I’m going to turn the right one on first. It may be a little weird at first but it should be fine.”

I nodded in reply and tried to sit as still as I could manage. He turned both of the devices on. It was really weird. After not been able to hear, having a device that allowed me to was slightly unreal.

“Can you hear?” He grinned, leaning back in his chair and looking at me.

“A little bit.” I grinned back. To be honest, I wasn’t all that bothered if my hearing was going to be quiet; I just wanted to be able to hear.

“Is it loud or quiet?” He asked picking up a pen to write down my reply in his book.

I sat there listening to the noises around me so I could answer his question. When he asked me the question, his voice was quiet and muffled. “Quite quiet.”

He nodded. “That’s normal. For some patients receiving this device, the sound isn’t always that loud and can be reasonably quiet. You just happened to be in that ratio that gets it quiet. That maybe because of having the device in both ears or just because of the cause of you being deaf.”

It was weird not only hearing his voice but also hearing my own. It’s probably weird to everyone hearing their own voice but when you hadn’t heard your own voice before. Hearing it now was rather weird.

“Compared to other patients who can normally hear near to perfect, you’re unfortunately in that small minority that can, yes hear, but it’s quiet and slightly muffled. It shouldn’t affect you too much. As long as you can hear then we can class the operation as a success.” The doctor explained.

I nodded at his speech before I turned to my mum who hadn’t said a word since the device had been turned on. Staring at her, I waited for her to say something. I wanted to hear her voice.

“Hi, baby.” She grinned with tears in her eyes. She looked so… happy.

And her voice. It was soft, like a mother’s should me. Not only was it soft but it had a calming tone to it. It was nice. It wasn’t rough or hard or anything like that. It was sweet and calming and I already loved it.

“Hi, mum.” I grinned back leaning further into the hug she’d pulled me into.

“I don’t need to talk directly to your face as much now.” She whispered in my ear whilst she was hugging me.

I laughed whilst she hugged me. “Sometimes though.”

The doctor clearing his throat made mum and I pull away from each other’s embrace. “Now that we know they’ve worked - even if just a little bit, you’ll still need to come back to attend an auditory training programme where we’ll determine the success of your hearing device.”

“That ok.” I nodded.

He proceeded to organise the further programmes for my hearing on his computer. Then he printed it off and handed it to my mum so I knew when I was to go to these training programmes. I just hoped it wasn’t going to be pointless.

After re-clothing myself in my winter wear, I followed mum out of the room and into the main area. I listened to my surroundings the best I could.

It was the best feeling ever being able to vaguely hear people talking and the noises of light footsteps; the receptionist typing at the computer and children making noises. Then there were the less pleasant noises like people coughing or sneezing.

But none the less, it was nice. The whole thing made me feel just that bit happier. I wasn’t sure whether I was going to get used to it or not though. I was so used to just reading people’s lips in order to see what they were saying yet now I could hear them. It’d be quiet, sure, but it was better than being able to hear nothing at all.

Another thing that made me excited was the fact I could listen to music now. So many people seemed to like it and now, I felt like I could join in with this obsession.

“Are you ready for Zach coming over?” Mum asked as she fastened her seatbelt and put her car into the correct gear.

“I think so.”

----

About half an hour after school would have finished, Zach turned up at my door. For the first time, I could hear the doorbell being rang.

My dad or brother weren’t home yet meaning that I hadn’t had the chance to hear what they sounded like yet. But Zach was here now and being able to hear what he sounded like was good enough for me.

“Hi!” I grinned jumping into his arms before he could reply to me.

“Hi, Maisie.” He whispered in my ear. His voice sent shivers down my spine. It was deep yet somehow it was still soft. Soothing. I loved it.

Pulling out of the hug, I grabbed his hands and pulled him into the house, shutting the door behind him. Just after the door had been shut, my mum walked out of the kitchen.

“Hello, Zach.” She smiled pleasantly. Mum threw the tea towel she was holding over her shoulder after she’d dried her hands on it.

“Hello… Sarah.” Zach replied, proudly remembering her name. I was surprised he’d remembered it if I was being honest.

“Why don’t you two go upstairs or something and I’ll make dinner for when your dad gets in.”

Zach and I nodded; I once again grabbed his hands and began pulling him upstairs and towards my bedroom. I wasn’t bothered about him seeing my bedroom because he’d already seen it before so there was nothing to worry about.

Once we were in my room, Zach lay on my bed and I lay beside him, resting my head on his chest. It was probably the most comfy position I’d been in. I loved it.

 “So, I’m guessing the operation was successful.” He said referring to the hearing devices. Being able to hear his voice was such a good feeling.

“Yep. I still not hear properly, quiet, but I hear.” I replied, wrapping my arms around his waist and pulling him closer towards me.

Zach shuffled underneath me before he’d turned on his side so that he was facing me.

“You know, one of the best things about you being deaf was that I had an excuse to look at you every time I wanted to say something to you.” He whispered. He lifted his hand to my face and pushed a strand of loose hair off my face.

I giggled. “That was such a cheesy thing to say.”

“Cheesy but true.” He winked before pressing a soft kiss on my forehead.

“You know, you not kissed me in a while.” I grinned smugly. Obviously understanding my hint, Zach leant down and softly pressed his lips against mine.

At first the kiss was slow and soft before it turned deeper and more passionate. He moved slightly so he was leaning further over me allowing him to be in a more comfortable position. I moved my hands from lying uselessly beside me to wrap them around his neck as one of his moved to my waist so he could hold me whilst the other lay gently against my cheek.

Before the kiss could get any further, footsteps up the stairs had Zach pulling away from me and the pair of us sitting up on the bed. I waited for my door to open, which it soon was revealing my little brother, Austin.

“Maisie!” He screamed, running up to the bed and jumping on it. He then proceeded to shuffle so he was on my lap and wrapped his arms around my neck.

“Hey little man.” I giggled, pulling him into my chest so I could hug him tighter. He smelled like paint so I was guessing that that was what he had being doing during his visit to nursery.

“I missed you.”

His voice was adorable. That was the only word that I could find that suited his little voice. It was that cute little level that toddler’s voices were and it was soft and high pitched. The tone of his voice just added to his cuteness.

“I missed you too. How was nursery?” I questioned, pulling back from his hug.

He gasped, obviously remembering his day. “It was so good! I have so much to tell you about it!”

His childish, adorable voice made a smile appear on my face. I couldn’t help it, I’d only heard him speak for the matter of two minutes yet it was already one of my most favourite sounds.

Austin then went into telling me about how he done painting and all of the other activities that he’d taken part in. He also told me about what he had done with his friend, Calum. I tried my best to listen but towards the ending of his story, I found myself zoning out.

My gaze swept over to Zach who was still sat beside me staring at me and Austin. He looked like he was in a trance as he watched the way the pair of us would interact.

“I’m going to play in my room!” Austin announced jumping off my lap and running out of the room. His little footsteps grew quieter as he reached his own room.

The room was silent until Zach finally spoke up. “He’s a cute little kid.” He laughed.

“Sometimes.” I laughed turning back to face Zach. I moved so I was sat in front of him, my legs crossed.

“So, I was wondering, since its winter now… Can I take you on a winter date?”

I stared at him before laughing. “What a winter date?”

“A date that’s winter themed.” He smirked after letting out a small chuckle.

“No need for sarcasm.”

Zach just laughed then grabbed me by my waist. He pulled me onto his lap and wrapped his arms around my waist hugging me to him. “So, is that a yes or a no?” He asked, his breath tickling my ear.

I thought about it for a moment. A date with Zach? I would never turn that down. “Count me in.”

After lying on my bed for a while longer, Zach and I went downstairs. I asked mum if she wanted help with the dinner (which she decline) before we went into the living room so we could watch a movie.

“What kind of movie do you like?” Zach asked from his crouched position on the floor. He was currently rummaging through the pile of DVD’s, trying to find a one that we both wanted to watch.

I thought about it for a moment before deciding what to say. “You choose, I don’t really mind.”

I watched him nod his head whilst he continued to rifle through the pile. Eventually he pulled out a movie and held it up for me to see.

“21 Jump Street?” I asked staring at the box.

He nodded his head excitedly, a grin already on his face. “I love this film.”

“So do I but it swears a lot and my brother and dad…” I trailed off. We couldn’t possibly watch it when there was my family around.

Zach sighed before dropping in back on the pile and continuing to go try and find another film. In the end we just decided to watch a film that was on the TV because it was easier than trying to find one in the pile.

We only got about half way into the film when the door opened and in entered my dad. I waited until he had taken off his coat and shoes before jumping up and running into the hallway.

“Hi Maisie,” He smiled, walking over and pulling me into a hug. “How did the appointment go?”

I grinned into his shoulder. “I can hear!”

He chuckled as he pulled away from the hug. “You can? That’s great.”

I didn’t know how to answer him so instead I just nodded my head in reply to him. He asked where mum was before leaving to head into the kitchen to see her.

As he did that, I went back into the living room and dropped back onto the couch beside Zach. I lay my head back on his chest as he wrapped his arms around my waist. He leaned down and kissed my head before un-pausing the movie that was playing.

Once again we were interrupted by my mum coming into the room announcing that dinner was prepared. “Zach, are you staying for lunch?”

“If you don’t mind having me.” He smiled politely. I didn’t know whether he was trying to look good to my mum or whether he was just generally polite around people’s parents. Either way it was giving my mum a pretty good impression.

“Of course we don’t,” She started turning around. “Come on you two.”

With that, Zach turned off the TV and we both left the living room and headed into the dining room to eat our dinner.

----

This feel super long. Probably not though.

I feel really awkward writing 'mum' because I call my 'mum' 'mam' haha.

Updated twice within a week, I'm proud (Y).

Vote/Comment/Follow?<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

824K 24.5K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...
85.3K 3.1K 42
Emma Carpenter is a classic example of a nerd. She does her homework, gets straight A's, reads all the time, and never gets in trouble. Then one day...
219K 7.8K 64
"You expect me to forget everything?" His voice comes out as a whisper. "To act like it doesn't hurt me to see you with him or that I'm still not cra...
42.3K 778 46
Savannah falls in love with her next door neighbour, her housemate and her brothers friend. Their relationship is a secret. How will she react when s...