Finding Me - Book 4

By Erin__Lee

Emerson Isabella Stratton, 17 years old, bisexual. Emerson struggles with her identity. She is a girl and 9... More

BACK!!
"Sorry But I Can't."
"Date Night?"
"Happy Birthdy to Me!"
"Savior!"
"Taking a Break."
"Moment."
"Come Clean."
"Decision."
"I'm Sorry."
"First."
"Admire."
"Million Bucks!"
"Chill."
"Uh No."
"Space."
"No Way!"
"Dream."
"Thankful."
"Fall."
"Together."
"Scared."
"Happy."
"Family."
"Lacrosse!"
"Day Off."
"Future."
"Relax."
"Plans."
"Show."
"Ignored."
"Parents."
"States!"
"True Love!"
"Gone."
"For You."
"Prom!"
"Path."
Epilogue pt.1
Epilogue pt.2
Authors Note
Bonus Chapter 1!
Bonus Chapter 2!
Bonus Chapter 3!
Bonus Chapter 4!
Authors Note

"Meeting."

1.9K 70 7
By Erin__Lee

Two very important meetings are happening today. One more important than the next but I'm not sure which one.

One: my meeting with Principal Hersey regarding the fight.

Two: my meeting with OKCA.

After mailing in my essay and application OKCA said they wanted to meet, go over my transcripts, incident records, etc.

Now if my meeting with Mr.Hersey goes well then a suspension won't be on my record nor will the fight so I'll be able to get into OKCA but if my meeting with OKCA goes well I'll go there and the meeting with Hersey won't matter.

However I need Hersey to pardon me to make me look good so I can get into OKCA but I need OKCA to accept me so I won't have to go back to Hersey and it's kind of a roundabout type of thing. 

With this on my mind I shower, pulling my hair up into a bun. I then get dressed my outfit consisting of black dress pants, a light blue blouse, black blazer, and black flats.

I brush my teeth one more time then head downstairs.

"Moms come on I don't want to be late!" I call upstairs after seeing that they aren't downstairs.

I eat an apple and drink a bottle of water before hearing my moms footsteps. Grabbing an orange and an apple and two bottles of water I leave out the kitchen, put the fruits and water in Ma's arms and push them out the door.

Ma chuckles quietly while Momma sighs then we get in the car.

"I call apple!" Ma shouts.

"Alex I'm driving I can't peel an orange." Momma argues.

Ma shrugs," oh well."

Momma goes quiet then pouts," baby can I please have the apple?"

The apple stops right at Ma's teeth as she looks over to the pouting lips of Momma. She looks at the apple, then Momma, then the apple, then back.

"Fine." She sighs handing her the apple.

Momma beams and bites right into it triumphantly.

I release a breathy laugh, sitting back quietly for the rest of the ride.

When we pull into the school lot my heart starts to beat a little faster.

It's 10:45 on Thursday. School is in session.

My moms get out the car. Ma notices my reservations.

"Hey princess," she opens my door and holds her hand out for me," your momma and I are right here with you."

Taking a deep breath, I nod, take her hand, and get out.

Luckily the hallways are empty when we come in, everyone most likely in class. We go into the office and wait for Mr.Hersey to call us back.

Mia steps out of his office, followed by her parents.

She glares at me eyes holding hate. Her parents look at my moms the same way.

Momma lifts an eyebrow as if to challenge  them. Ma nods at them, cordial but stone cold.

"Moms." I say, a sigh coating the words.

They glance at me, nod, and go inside Hersey's office.

"Mrs. and Mrs. Stratton thank you for meeting with me today. Please have a seat." He gestures to the two chairs across from him.

I stand behind them, not bothering to pull a chair up.

"Let's get straight to business than shall we? Hayden privately spoke with me about what really transpired on Friday."

He tells them everything Hayden said. That Mia has been antagonizing me since my birthday party, slapping me and calling me out of my name.

"Though Mia has been the antagonist in this situation, Emerson physically started the fight that took place on Friday therefore she must be punished in some way. That being said I've lifted her suspension but she will be required to attend after school detention for the entirety of next week." He says hands folding on his desk.

Ma nods," we appreciate the leniency Mr. Hersey however it won't be necessary. As I assumed you knew, Emerson will be changing schools."

"Yes I am aware. I got the request for her transcripts and sent them over however, Emerson is a very bright student, top 10 of her class. I was hoping there would be a change of heart after today's meeting. Emerson I assure you that something like this will never happen again should you choose to stay." Mr.Hersey looks me in my eyes at the last part.

I release an empty chuckle," I appreciate that Mr.Hersey, however I will be changing schools. Don't let my leaving change how you feel now though. There are multiple students here apart of the LGBTQ+ community and they shouldn't be overlooked simply because they didn't get into a fight like myself. Be there for them because they've gone through it much longer than I have and they shouldn't have to any longer."

He nods.

My moms smile proudly at me.

"Thank you for everything Mr.Hersey." I offer a smile.

"You will be missed Ms.Stratton." He extends his hand.

I shake it before turning and leaving. Walking out the door it dawns on me that it's my last day here...ever.

Squaring my shoulders, and ignoring everyone's open stares, I walk down to my locker as the bell rings and grab the last of my things out of it. Books, mini dry erase board, calendar, etc.

"You really leaving huh?"

Olivia stands behind me, Seth and William at her sides.

"Yeah I am."

I'm pulled into her arms once again.

"This isn't goodbye Liv, I'll see you outside of school you know."

"Doesn't make this any easier." She says pulling away.

Chuckling I hug Will then look to Seth.

His eyes quint at me before he pulls me into a one armed hug.

"See you around Stratton."

"See you Seth."

I leave the school and on the ride to OKCA my moms tell me that they're proud of me and that they love me. My nerves spike as we pull up to OKCA.

The school is huge on the outside and the inside looks the same.

The walls are much much taller than I am made of different sized stones and cement. There are a few trophy cases, two statues, just the heads though, of the Founder and Headmaster, and banners.

I hear chatter, lots of chatter mashing together and it sounds like a hum. Leaning forward I peek through the half glass double doors to see a large group of students sitting around eating and talking.

"Emerson."

Snapping my head around I smile sheepishly at my parents and the finely dressed woman behind them. I walk back over to them and we're lead through double doors into the office then into a big wooden door, one small glass pane sitting near the top.

'Headmaster Thawne' the golden plate reads.

"Mr.Thawne, the Strattons are here." The woman leans in the door and says, waits a moment, then lets us in.

"Mrs. and Mrs. Stratton."

Mr.Thawne is an older Caucasian guy. Hair completely grey, appearing all white. Wrinkles are scattered about his face, blue eyes losing their shine. His 3-piece navy blue pinstripe suit sits a top a pure white dress shirt and dark purple tie.

"Mr.Thawne." Ma greets shaking his awaiting hand.

Momma does the same and he invites them to sit.

"You must be Emerson," he looks to me offering his hand.

I nod and shake it before sitting.

"As I'm sure you're aware, you being here as evidence, I was thoroughly impressed with Emerson's essay as well as her academic reports. From it all I've seen that she is very studious, dedicated, and intelligent. All qualities that we look for in students of OKCA." He begins.

As he speaks I notice the wall behind him. Award after award. Certificates, medals, trophies.

"Everything on paper sounds extraordinary. But anyone can lie on paper, which is why we have an interview portion of our admittance process. That being said I'd like Emerson to go with Ms.Darcey," he gestures behind us," to begin her interview."

I gulp, glancing at my moms for assurance. They smile and nod, Ma giving me a thumbs up. With a deep breath I stand and go with the woman.

Her black 3-inch heels click against the dark wooden floor. She's wearing an all black skirt suit, a deep blue blouse under it, a simple silver necklace matching the diamond earrings. Her engagement ring doesn't go unnoticed either.

We step inside a room, somewhat like a classroom but smaller. A single window shines light into the light grey room, one square table set beneath it with two black chairs on either side.

She gestures for me to sit and I do, then she does, pulling out a laptop in the process followed by a notepad.

"So Emerson, tell me about yourself."

I nod," I was born and raised right here in Oklahoma City. My birthday was a few weeks ago, making me 18. I was on the cheerleading and track team all three years at my old school and for the most part of my senior year. And I'm still figuring myself out."

"Why did you change schools?"

"Truthfully, I was bullied. The students there weren't accepting of things they didn't understand so when I was outed as homosexual they didn't take it well. I felt like and still feel like I shouldn't have to deal with torment of people who think they know who I am when I am still learning myself."

A smile tugs at her lips before asking the next question. They all are really what I expected: What're my greatest strengths? How did I find out about the school? Why do I want to go here? Etc.

"Thank you for your time Emerson, your parents are still with Mr.Thawne so a tour has been set up for you." Ms.Darcey directs me out the room and down to the office where a girl, my age and height, awaits.

She's clad in blue jeans, a blueish-green OKCA sweatshirt on, and white gym shoes.

"Emerson this is Maggie she'll be your tour guide, Maggie Emerson."

"Hi." Maggie waves.

Smiling I greet her back.

"So this tour's going to be about an hour, that cool?" Maggie asks leading me out the building.

I nod," yeah that's fine."

"Good. So I figured I'd start with the places you'll be spending most of your time at. The main one being the dorms."

We stroll for a minute over to another building that looks the same as the first just a bit bigger. Maggie pushes the double doors open.

I'm met with off white walls and blueish carpet. The first floor of the building holds the RA's resident assistant's, room and office, and a lounge area.

On the second floor each door, made of light wood with numbers on them and dry erase boards that have names and little drawings on them, is scattered about.

The doors to the bathrooms are a dark wood, standing out from the rest. Inside the bathrooms looks like what'd you expect at a college. Stalls, a long row of sinks, and shower cubicles.

"This is my room. I live by myself for now but who knows you might be my roommate."

She pushes open the door and reveals the room to me. Simple: coral walls, off white carpet, two full sized beds on either side of the room, one not made, a desk, two dressers, and a closet.

Above the bed that Maggie stays in she's hung some picture frames and posters. In the corner she points out a mini fridge she brought in and a coffee pot.

"Nice. It's quaint." I nod.

"That's what I thought when I first saw it." She agrees.

The tour continues. She shows me the athletic building/area nesting the basketball court, gym, soccer/football/lacrosse field, and the pool. Then there are the academic buildings with all the classrooms, libraries, and computer labs. There's a lake behind the school, a dock built over it that she tells me most people don't use.

There is another dormitory that we don't go to where the guys stay. Students of all grades: 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th stay in dormitories together. Gender the only thing separating us.

I like Maggie more and more as the tour progresses. She's not overly enthusiastic but she's cheery enough. I can tell she's not milking anything she tells me, selling the school for what it is and not what it appears to be.

She explains to me that the school provides us with a debit card of sorts. Instead of money we have points the balance starts at 100 points and each week 50 points are added to the card. We use it to purchase lunch, buy books, or school gear like shirts, hoodies, backpacks, etc.

At some points during the tour we stop talking about the school and get to know one another. She's into volleyball and soccer, painting and guitar is her main thing. Math isn't her strong suit, she kills at history, and other subjects she's good at. All in all she's a kid like me, making it through school.

"So what'd you think?" She asks as we walk back into the main building.

I nod approvingly," everything looks awesome. The different buildings will take some getting use to but I like it."

"Don't worry, living here makes it all much easier."

Right, I do have to move if I get in. I knew that but I guess it's finally hitting me that I won't be living with my moms anymore. Breakfasts with them in the morning isn't an option. Nor is dinner at night.

I'd be here 24/7.

"Are we allowed to leave school grounds?" I ask.

She nods," after 6 p.m. on Friday's we are free to do whatever we please so long as we're back at 10 p.m. on Sunday."

That's not so bad. Spend the weekends with my moms. It'll be a bigger change than I expected but change is life.

Maggie leaves shortly after and I go back to the office where I'm called in. Mr.Thawne says that he would love to have me here and that my first day is Monday.

When we're driving home it's quiet, but during dinner they question me.

Momma's main concern is if I was ready to move there, away from them.

I said I'm not sure, I just turned 18 I didn't think I'd have to leave so soon but I'd get to come home on weekends.

I can tell that they aren't happy about me having to live there but I can also tell they are happy to see me happy.

And I am. OKCA will be a fresh start. It's what I need.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164 23 21
"It's almost as if sleep and I were married for sixteen years, and I caught them having an affair with my sister." Julie Esther Nicholson, one of the...
24.5K 567 25
*BEFORE YOU READ, KNOW THIS IS A STRUGGLE BETWEEN 1RST AND 3RD PERSON. THIS IS OFFICIALLY 1RST PERSON. THIS WAS ONE OF THE FIRST STORIES I MADE ON WA...
305K 12.3K 66
I chuckled slightly and shook my head. "Does that usually work for you? The cute little remarks and that nice smile." I teased. He gave me a sheepish...
226 4 26
18-year-old Ada had a tough life. Always lying about who she really is, always hiding behind a mask, until she couldn't do it anymore. But telling he...