Art of Deceit

By softaura

[was FEATURED on the official ROMANCE profile reading list!] 'His touch tainted the purest side of her.' ... More

part one
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XXI
part two
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
s a n c t i f y. book 2

XX

20.1K 1.4K 874
By softaura

CHAPTER TWENTY
you're next

I sat on the seat, watching Dawn dance with Jungkook and Annora with Jimin. The music pulsated through me but the only thought in my head was the letter that was in Dawn's room.

I tried reaching out for it but before I could, Dawn walked in.

I had to go back and get the letter but I didn't know how to since Dawn and I weren't on good terms.

"Hey," I noticed Jimin approaching me. "Thanks for not being weird about this." He said, scratching the back of his neck as he glanced at Annora.

I simply nod, staring at the ground. I heard him sigh as he sat himself next to me. "I heard that Taehyung wanted to ask you to the dance?" He questioned, eyeing my form sitting alone.

"Where is everyone getting this information?" I looked at him with confusion. Taehyung never spoke to me about, why was everyone asking about this? "And I'm not talking to my brother about a boy he didn't want me with."

"I know I was hard on you about it." He sighed. "But you deserved to make your own choices and I shouldn't have made that hard for you. I'm sorry." He gave me a pitiful smile, nudging me.

"It's fine," I breathed out as I pushed him. "Now get to your date." I said, pushing him off the seat gently and he laughed, ruffling up my hair lightly.

I pushed his hand away in annoyance, rearranging my hair as his lips formed a crooked, mischievous smile. He interlocks his arm with Annora's and I could help but wince distastefully at it. I was still trying to normalise the situation.

I sighed, slumping further into my seat. I sipped onto the grape juice sluggishly, wishing that it had a hint of alcohol in it.

As I stared at the buzz of students dancing together, a figure caught my attention. Her brown hair flowed down over her shoulder, her fingertips darkened to a near black. An eery smile played on her lips as her eyes glinted with mystery as she walked away, into the crowd.

"Yeona?" I whispered under my breath, getting up instantly. It had been a while since I've had these encounters. I followed behind her, stumbling out into the hallway. I watched her walk past a line of lockers, her fingers brushing against the metal surface, leaving a black trail.

"Yeona!" I screamed, my voice echoing down the empty corridor. She turned around and came to a halt.

Without thinking, I approached her. My voice was caught in my throat as I stuttered, not knowing what to say to something that was merely a figment of my imagination.

"Why do I keep seeing you?" I finally asked, my body now trembling as my eyes brimmed with tears that dripped with a blink.

She extended her arm, her cold palm brushing against my cheek and an icy cold sting goes through my body. "You're next." She whispered darkly, her fingers wiping the tears that stained my cheeks.

I pressed my eyes shut the next moment, "this isn't real. This isn't real." I spoke out under my breath, trying to snap out of whatever hallucination I was having.

I steadied my breath and opened my eyes only to find myself surrounded by pitch black darkness. I looked around the room I was in, heart beating against my chest as I stood in the unfamiliar place in confusion.

The darkness around me seemed infinite yet I felt like I was confined in a small room. I feel my throat clench, having trouble breathing as I start feeling claustrophobic. It was as though the walls were closing in on me and I drop to the ground, trying to catch my breath.

My eyes immediately shut the moment I hear sounds around me and I curl on the ground, whimpering.

"Ruin." A dark voice whispered, so close to my ear that I could feel its breath against my neck. My eyes flung open and I found myself back standing at the school hall, Taehyung walking towards me.

"Hey," he approached me. I stared at him, no words coming to mind as my chest heaved with deep breaths. "You don't look so good," he said eyeing my form but shakes his head instantly. "I mean, you look beautiful but you don't look okay." He faltered slightly, gulping the next moment as he reached out for me.

"Hang on." He said as his thumb brushed my cheek, wiping it. "Hm, weird." He frowns at it as he showed me a certain black substance that he wiped from my cheek.

"It must've been dirt from the floor." Taehyung said right before shaking his head, wiping it on his pants.

I felt my heart beat violently against my chest the moment I matched the same black ink the one from Yeona's fingers.

"Um," I moved away from him slightly, trying to catch my breath. The only thought in my mind being Yeona and the letter at this point. I've been good all this while, but after coming across that letter, here I was having these encounters again. "I have to-" I feel my throat close up, straining to finish my sentence. "Go, I have to go." I finished, pushing past him.

He stays back, watching me through a frown probably wondering if he had said something wrong.

I rushed back into the hall, making a beeline towards Annora and I pull her away from Jimin. I don't let him stop me, pulling her far enough so that the music wasn't deafening.

"Jina, what's going on?" She escaped my grip, looking at me with confusion.

"We have to go to Dawn's." I say and she cocks her head to the side, looking puzzled.

"I'll explain on the way, but we just have to go. Now." She sensed the urgency in my voice and nods slowly.

"Okay, I'll get Dawn." She turned around but I stop her.

"She can't come." I held her and she looked at me whilst shaking her head.

"What?"

"Annora, we have to hurry." I say, glancing at Dawn who was dancing with Jungkook. "Before she realises we're missing. I'll explain everything on the way." I tried grabbing her arm but she pulled away lightly and I groan.

"This doesn't feel right." She shook her head.

"She knows something about your accident." I blurted and Annora froze.

"What are you talking about right now?"

"I think she's covering for Jungkook. He-"

"Think? You think? Do you even hear yourself right now, Jina?" She stared at me with a certain rage. I had no idea why she was so upset.

"Annora, please." I plead but she raised her hand before me, shaking her head profusely.

"No," she breathed out. "This is crazy." She hissed walking back into the bodies that were dancing against each other and I sighed with frustration, running my fingers through my hair.

I knock against the door, hoping that no one would be home, planning to use the spare key under the rug but the door swings open and I groaned inwardly. "Mrs Allen!" I greet, wishing that she would somehow be on a good mood today even though she never was the past few years.

Mrs Allen was Dawn's foster mum and after Mr Allen left the picture, Mrs Allen was never in a good mood. On top of that, she was never fond of Annora and I hanging out with Dawn.

She grunts, not even trying to say a word back. "I left my phone here, could I come in and check?" I asked, trying to walk in but she narrowed her eyes at me.

"I'll be really quick." I clasped my hands together, mastering up the brightest smile I could possibly give but a sudden buzz from my purse sends my expression dropping to the ground. "Um-" I stuttered, the ringtone of my phone piercing the atmosphere around us and Mrs Allen simply looked at me with a scoff, slamming the door shut the next moment.

"Shit," I cussed under my breath. "What?" I spat as I answering the phone, thinking it was Jimin but the voice that spoke out made me go still.

"I'm sorry, is this a bad time?" The low voice spoke, somewhat timidly.

"Taehyung? No, no. I'm sorry, I thought you- forget it." I gave up trying to explain myself. "Is everything okay?" I asked, wondering why he had called so out of the blue.

"I don't know. I was hoping I could meet you."

"Oh," I breathed out, "where?"

"The boy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 7.1K 61
"Don't you want to kiss your husband, y/n?" he purred, deliberately slowing his words to a sultry pace, hoping to entice her into the mood. Her eyes...
1.4M 25.5K 33
She closes her eyes for a brief moment taking in the feeling of his touch all over her body. "They'll notice us gone" she whimpered wanting to leave...
108K 3.9K 46
She bit her lip to prevent her moans while he trailed open mouth kisses down her neck. " Shh" he whispered from behind. "You don't want us to get cau...
3.5M 201K 65
His finger traces my skin, his coffee brown eyes staring deep into mine as I feel chills run down my spine. "Taehyung." I call out his name, close to...