Love in the Nick of Time

By Tranay21

Regina Washington has always been Ms. Independent, she practically wrote the song. Now living her dream as a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 (Part 1)
Chapter 23 (Part 2)
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Epilogue

Chapter 3

4.3K 139 4
By Tranay21

Regina felt a warm hand stroke the side of her face as she heard someone call her name.

"Come on Gina wake up." Someone begged softly. As Regina opened her eyes and her vision began to focus she noticed the worried expression on Verity's face.

Aw hell I passed out. She thought as she tried to get up.

"Take it easy baby doll." A deep baritone voice with a smooth southern accent said. Regina knew that voice all too well, she looked up into a pair of concerned aquamarine eyes and quickly shut her eyes and opened them again.

Damn he's still here.

"I'm okay." Regina said sitting up, her whole body felt drained. She was in such a rush this morning that she had forgotten to eat, which isn't a smart thing for a diabetic to do. Regina made a mental note that if she ever saw her mother she would curse her out for the only thing she had ever given her, type one diabetes and thunder thighs she couldn't get rid of no matter how hard she worked out.

"You forgot to eat this morning didn't you?" Verity asked in a very motherly tone. Regina shook her head yes as she sat up.

"You better be glad Christian was here," she scolded.

"Here drink this." Christian said handing her a glass of orange juice the gallery manager ran to get.

"Thanks." Regina said as she tried not to look at Christian.

The crowd of concerned people let out a collective sigh of relief as Verity helped her up and guided her to a seat.

"Regina you know this could have waited until you had breakfast. I don't know what I would do if I lost you." Verity said as tears flowed down her face.

"I'm going to kill your husband." Regina mumbled as she sipped from her glass.

"She's right you know." Christian said finally speaking.

"Yes I am and now that she's okay you can return to whatever cesspool from the pits of hell you crawled out of." Verity snapped as she tossed a protective arm around Regina's shoulder.

"It's nice to see you too Verity." Christian said with a smile.

"What are you doing here?" Verity asked while Regina sat there in shock, Christian was the last person she expected to see today.

"I'm here with Cookie; I think she's trying to take your spot." Christian said as he stared at Regina.

"Let's go Gina we have to get you something to eat." Verity said as she glared at Christian.

"Not until we get this settled Jess would have a breakdown if we lose this place." Regina said as she saw a petite blond making a b-line for them.

"Oh my god Gina I heard what happen are you okay?" Cookie asked as she hugged Regina.

"Cookie I'm okay."

"Okay good." Cookie said as she let go of Regina and touched the sides of her face.

"I've missed you." Cookie said as she gave Regina a bear hug, for such a tiny woman she had a lot of strength.

"I've missed you too Cookie."

"Ms. Cookie I hear your trying to take our reception venue." Verity said trying to get back to the task at hand.

"Am I, I would never do that." Cookie said with dismay.

"It's not your fault, the staff here is irresponsible, this will be the first and last time we use this place." Verity said with a huff.

"Having the reception at this place wasn't even my idea it was mother's." Cookie said rolling her eyes as she tossed back her long blond hair. "I wanted to have the reception on a yacht." She continued.

"Well now's your chance." Christian said.

"You're right." Cookie said as she jumped with excitement.

"Cookie stop it, I keep telling you not to do that in public." Christian said as he grabbed his sister.

"Well then I guess it is all settled then." Regina said trying to bring the awkward meeting to a close.

"You know Gina I was really hoping that by this time you would be coming to my wedding as my sister-in-law." Cookie said as she glared at her brother sideways. "It's all your fault." Cookie said hitting her brother in the back of the head.

"You and I need to get together and have lunch." Cookie said as she linked her arm with Regina's and walked towards the exit leaving Verity alone with Christian.

"Judging by the shocked expression on her face I take it you never told her I came back." Christian said as he watched Regina and Cookie walk away.

"What do I look like a postal worker I don't deliver messages; you're the one who broke her heart why should I do you any favors? If I remember correctly I still owe you a castration." Verity said with a scowl. Christian let out a slight laugh knowing that she was serious.

"Verity you know you still love me, don't be mean." Christian said as he wrapped his arm around Verity.

"Don't think you can use that southern charm of yours to get back on my good side. I am not helping you win Regina back, you shouldn't have let the best thing that will ever happened to you go." Verity said shrugging his arm off of her.

"That is true, but back then I had my priorities mixed up but now I know what I want."

"Good for you, stay away from my sister." Verity said before walking away. Christian let out a sigh of frustration as he watched Verity walk away.

I have my work cut out for me. He thought.

****

"Verity I can't eat another bite." Regina said as she pushed Verity's fork away from her mouth.

"You still look a little pale." Verity said with a frown.

"Verity I'm fine." Regina said with a smile grateful to have a friend who cared for her so much. Regina began to rifle through her purse for her blood glucose meter only to realize that she had left it in her other purse.

"Oh man I forgot my meter." Regina mumbled. Verity produced a small sliver makeup pouch and handed it to Regina.

"Do I look that bad I need make up on?" Regina asked taking the bag from Verity and the thought that she looked bad in front of Christian made her heart drop.

Why should I care what he thinks? Regina thought as she opened the bag and saw a glucose meter.

"Why are you carrying this around?" Regina asked with amazement.

"In case of emergencies like today," Verity said with a shrug.

"You actually bought a meter and carry it around with you just for me?"

"Uh yeah, you're my best friend/ sister, why wouldn't I?" Verity said as if it was no big deal not realizing how much the gesture meant to Regina.

"You're the best Bffff I've ever had." Regina said as she got up from her seat and hugged Verity.

"I'm your only Bffff." Verity said with a laugh. "Now go test yourself so I know you're okay to drive home, even though I should take you home myself."

"I told you I'm fine." Regina checked her glucose level and it was in the normal range.

Verity dropped Regina off to the art gallery so she could pick up her car and after ten minutes of arguing Regina finally gave in and let Verity follow her home. When Regina walked into her apartment she flopped down on her sofa and covered her face with her hands as she let out a groan of frustration. Seeing Christian again had brought up so many memories the good and the bad that she had become overwhelmed with emotions. Regina had gone through all different types of emotions after their break-up and seeing Christian again only triggered one emotion, anger. Regina was angry at the way he was so cavalier about seeing her again, she had expected him to grovel at her feet for forgiveness that way to could trample him and move on with her life. Regina tried to shake the image of his face from her mind but it was no use. She could still feel the pain from his leaving like it was yesterday.

"How long will you be gone?" Regina asked as she played with the engagement ring on her finger.

"Six months."

"Are you going to take that job in Texas?"

"Yes, and you're coming with me." Christian said and he placed his hand on top of her stilling their motion.

"Regina I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"I love you too but my life is here I can't just leave my job or my dad not when we've gotten so close."

"Gina don't do this to me."

"Do what? I am telling you how I feel, something you have completely ignored. I am willing to wait for you to get back from Africa but you asking me to leave the people that I love and the business I helped build is too much." Regina said as she snatched her hands away from him.

"You're just scared." Christian said waving off what she had just said.

"I am not scared." She scoffed "I'm not going with you. I am not one of your maids you can just order around. I have a life here in New York; I have no intentions of leaving." Regina said as she folded her arms across her chest.

"What about us? We're supposed to get married."

"Not if I have to sacrifice everything I worked so hard for then no I won't marry you. You can do whatever the hell you want without me." Regina said as she held the door open for him to leave.

"Regina don't do this to me. Baby doll I love you."

"You really have a funny way of showing it. It's time for you to go."

Christian raked his hand through his hair as he stood up with a sigh.

"You're upset I get it, I'll talk to you in a few days."

"Don't bother I won't change my mind." Regina said pressing the engagement ring into his hand.

"Regina don't-"

"-have a nice life Dr. Grey"

Regina watched Christian walk out of her house and out of her life for what she thought was forever. Regina remembered breaking down after he left but she was determined not to let losing the love of her life be the end of her. Regina tossed herself into her work and finished her coursework to become a certified coordinator and never looked back. She dated very little and when she did each one ended in total disaster.

Regina pulled herself away from memory lane and busied herself with laundry in order to avoid thinking about her tumultuous relationship with Christian.

That Monday Regina had finished a joint consultation with Verity and had just sat down at her desk when there was a knock on the door. Regina looked up and saw Cookie with her usual brighten up the room smile.

"Hey Cookie, what are you doing here?" Regina said as she got up and hugged her.

"I came to ask you for a favor, this place is amazing by the way." Cookie said taking a seat.

"Thanks, so what's this favor?"

"Before I get to that I want to apologize for not hanging with you like I used to. After everything that happened between you and Christian I just-"

"-you didn't want to get caught in the middle, I understand."

"You know I gave him hell after I found out what happened. Mother and I tried to get him to talk to you but you know how stubborn he is. Even when he got back and ran into Verity and her husband at the Met I told him it was a sign."

"It doesn't matter Cookie." Regina trying to keep her from rambling.

"You're right it doesn't matter, it's his loss. I wanted to see if you could help me with my reception, I've been planning this whole wedding by myself and I am just wiped out. I don't know how you do it for a living."

"I would love to help you but I'm already doing a wedding for the same day."

"I'll change the day then, I've already changed it twice. No big deal. I really need your help mother is trying to make this all about her and you know how to handle her." Cookie said as she looked at Regina with pleading eyes. Regina hesitated with an answer as she tried to figure out if she could handle the situation.

"I-I don't know Cookie, I don't think I can-"

"-Oh I'm sorry Gina I wasn't thinking, it was stupid of me to ask." Cookie said as she looked like she was about to burst into tears.

Regina you are stronger than this. It's just the reception, you do this at it will prove that you are over him. Regina's conscience scolded.

"I'll do it." Regina said and a huge smile spread across Cookie's face.

"You will?"

"Yes I'll do it."

"Thank you Regina you're the best, I love you so much." Cookie said pulling Regina into a bear hug.

Regina and Cookie talk for a while about what Cookie wanted for the reception before Cookie left for her final dress fitting. Regina walked into Verity's office and sat down in front of her desk.

"Why didn't you tell me you saw Christian at the Met?" Regina asked and Verity froze for a few seconds before looking at her.

"Umm, I was kind of hoping you never had to find out."

"You didn't think I needed the heads up?"

"I was going to tell you."

"When," Regina said a little louder than she intended.

"Um, uh, on your deathbed," Verity said with a cringe.

"You should have told me, I was caught completely off guard."

"I told him to stay away, I didn't tell you because you would get upset and then you would start thinking about what happened. I just didn't want you to hurt any more than you already have."

"It's been three years you would think I would be over this by now." Regina said massaging her temples.

"It's not that easy when he's the first man you've ever loved I know. I went through it with Rashad, if it wasn't for Dimitri I'd still be a mess and probably bitter. I definitely don't want that for you." Verity said as she got up and sat next to Regina.

"Christian couldn't see that you we're the best thing that will ever happen to him he doesn't deserve a second thought."

Regina knew that Verity was right she deserved better. Regina made up in her mind that after she did Cookie's wedding she would tell Christian everything she needed to tell him and move on.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 3.6K 44
After 5 years of leaving Seattle and Christian Grey, Anastasia is finally going to marry her boss and her new lover. The only problem is, Christian...
243 0 23
Doctors swear to save lives every day, and that's exactly what Thomas wants to do. Dreaming of running his own hospital, saving lives and being the b...
674 46 37
A 40 years old billionaire that is the ceo of many companies in the world. Is know as the most richest man and also a man who can get every women he...