Art of Deceit

By softaura

[was FEATURED on the official ROMANCE profile reading list!] 'His touch tainted the purest side of her.' ... More

part one
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
part two
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
s a n c t i f y. book 2

X

26.4K 1.6K 909
By softaura

CHAPTER TEN
ink

My finger traced along the palm of his hand as we sat in front of the boy, "I'm actually in the middle of painting something." Taehyung spoke out and I look up at him.

"Really?" My eyes widen as I leaned towards him, wanting to hear more.

"Yea," he chuckled a little bashfully. "I don't really know where I'm going with it though."

"Can I see it?" I asked and his smile widens.

"It's not done yet but once it is, I'll make sure you're the first one to see it." He said with a smile and I reflect it, looking back to the wall. As I stared at it, I realise a black ink dripping onto the boy.

"Do you see that?" I asked out, squinting my eyes as I focused on the painting. All of a sudden, the painting twitches, the boy craning his neck upwards as he stared right at me and I try turning to Taehyung but I'm frozen with terror.

He began growing in size, resembling the man I had seen in the art museum and I feel everything around me drown out. I stared at the painting that morphed right in front of my eyes with a paralysing fear gripping onto me.

"Hm?" Taehyung hummed but I don't respond, staring at the male that was now before me whose eyes were piercing through mine. "Jina," Taehyung got me to look at him and I threw a quick glance his way, glueing my eyes back to the wall the next second, wanting him to do the same but he was gone.

"Are you okay?" He asked and I swallowed thickly, staring at the boy on the wall that was back to his little corner.

"Yea," I shake my head.

"We should get going, school's about end." Taehyung said, pushing his palms on the ground as he got ready to stand up.

"Okay."

He stood up, helping me up after. He walked ahead of me and I turn back, giving the wall one last look.

"I have to start getting more sleep." I shook my head lightly, trying to get more alert as I blamed what I saw on lack of sleep since it was the only practical reason.

"You coming?" Taehyung eyed my form and I made my way towards him.

"You're early." Jimin looked at me suspiciously as he saw me leaning against the car.

"I always am, I don't know what you're talking about." I rolled my eyes, a teasing smile on my lips as he tried reading the situation.

"Did you skip?" He asked and I snapped, hitting him lightly as he sat himself next to me.

"Of course not."

"You're a horrible liar, you know that, I know that, everyone knows that. So can we just skip the lies." He looked at me with exhaustion and I simply chuckle, fastening my seatbelt.

"What's going on?" Jimin asked as we entered the house only to see our living room in a state of chaos.

My mother ran around with a file in her hands while my father dug through some boxes.

"The Lee family pulled out of the Founder's Day Auction last minute. Understandable but-" My mother sighed, frantically flipping through pages of the file.

"Our family was next in line to organise it." My father said and Jimin and I passed each other a glance, knowing what that meant.

My parents were too involved with the town, carrying every responsibility on their shoulders. Whenever there was an event, you'd see them first in line to help out. Consequently, Jimin and I were dragged into it with them, having to help out along with them.

"So, you have to plan an entire auction in less than a day?" Jimin asked.

"Not everything, the goods have already been placed up. The only issue is the venue and the walk in presentation." My father scratched his head frustratedly and an idea pops into my mind.

"What about the art museum?" I suggested and my parents looked up at me, almost like I had just thrown them a lifeline.

"I'm sure they'll be more than happy since it'll be good press. Plus there are many artworks that were brought in from an overseas museum which should be good for the presentation part." I said and my mother gave one single, firm clap right before snapping her fingers.

"That's it!" She said pointing at my father. "Make the call," she tossed him her phone and I felt my insides churn the moment I see the phone fly across the room. It lands softly in the hold of my father's hands and I let out a deep sigh.

"Jina," my mother called me and I freeze for some reason. "Thank you." She smiled at me and so do I. We haven't really spoken ever since the night she caught me with Taehyung.

"Alright, kids we'll need you to-" and Jimin and I both groan in unison the moment we start getting tasks thrown at us.

"Happy Founder's Day. Have a nice evening," I passed a couple the auction catalogue and they simply nod my way in acknowledgment before entering the museum. "I can't believe we got stuck handing out catalogues." I sighed frustratedly the moment the couple's out of earshot.

"This is your fault, you just had to suggest the museum." Jimin spat, taking more catalogues from the box behind him and placing it on the table with a loud thump, his exaggerated actions conveying his agitation.

"At least I-" and he nudges me.

"Have a lovely evening." He beamed at an elderly man as he passed the thin booklet. "There's just a few left, you can handle the rest." He got up swiftly, the chair almost toppling over with the sudden action.

"You're leaving?" I looked at him with incredulity.

"Well, you owe me." Jimin picked up the jacket of his suit, swinging it around his back as he slid it on.

"You can't just leave me." My lips slack as I looked at him walk away.

"All the best." He sang as he entered the museum.

"Jimin!" I yelled as I got up but he doesn't turn around. I sighed with frustration and a sudden cough startled me. I realised someone was in front of me and my head swings towards them. "I'm sorry, sir." I said but instantly heave a sigh of relief.

"Hey." Taehyung chuckled, his hands playing with the black tie that hung tightly around his neck. My eyes remained glued to him, studying every little detail, being completely enamoured. "You look really good." He said and I smile.

"Not too bad yourself." I let out teasingly and he laughs, adjusting a strand of hair that fell over his forehead. His brown hair was slightly slicked back, the ends of it falling over the sides of his forehead, leaving his eyes unobstructed. His brown eyes glimmered with the lights that hung over me and I feel myself going into a trance.

"Are you here with your parents?" I asked once I snap back into reality. He was the only one here, after my brother, that was my age.

"Auctions aren't really their thing." He said, taking the little booklet into his hands. "I heard that your family was organising this and assumed you'd be here."

"Well, here I am." I held my head high with a wry smile.

"Taehyung!" Jungkook called out from behind him, Dawn following next to him and I frown a little.

"I'll be back." Taehyung said, giving a swift kiss on my forehead which gets me flustered.

Dawn walked over to me with a purple dress that ended right below her knees. Her hair was pulled into a tight ponytail, the ends curled subtly. Her were eyes wide with shock and a hint of confusion. "Did Taehyung just kiss you?" She gasped and I simply narrow my eyes at her.

"You and Jungkook?" I crossed my hands over my chest.

"That's obviously not important right now, Jina. Please tell me you're not together with him." She says and the tone in her voice gets to me.

"So what if I am?" I questioned, frowning slightly.

"Jina, you barely know the guy."

"It's not like we're getting married or anything." I started to get defensive. "There's nothing wrong with getting to know each other." I shook my head, passing a lady the catalogue. "What are you doing here anyway?" I questioned.

"You know, Jungkook's an art maniac. He wanted to take advantage of the free entry." She stated, looking back at Jungkook who was speaking to Taehyung.

"Look I don't want to overstep with Taehyung-"

"Great, then don't." It slipped out my lips and she gets taken aback.

"Huh," she coughed out a scoff. "Fine." She snatched a catalogue from my hands. "Jungkook, let's go!" She called out but her eyes still remain on me. Jungkook jogged up next to her and the both of them walk towards the museum together.

"You okay?" I asked, looking at Taehyung who had his face pressed into a frown.

"No, yea." He shook his head, more strands of his hair falling out of place over his forehead in a desirable way. "You?"

"Yea, great." I say, pushing out the thought of Dawn as I sat back down.

"Can't you go in?" He asked and I shook my head with a pout.

"Not until this entire thing's finished." I pointed at the stack of catalogues that Jimin had called just a few.

"I could help." Taehyung offered, sitting next to me. I simply smiled, allowing him to take the seat next to me. "Look at all these people," he sighed the next second. "So pretentious."

"So pretentious." I emphasised.

"I'm pretty sure that man over there doesn't have a clue of what's in there." He pointed at a man scratching his thigh through his pocket, trying to be subtle but failing.

"And her over there, I'm sure she's just here for the free food." I joked, seeing a lady walk out with packed food in her hands, attempting to stuff some into her tiny purse.

"I bet even those glasses are fake." Taehyung laughed and I laughed along with him. "The moment this town hears the word auction  they think they're of the highest class or something."

"Wow, we are two really judgemental people." I looked at him and he laughs harder, leaning towards me.

"Jina." The voice speaks lowly and I freeze.

"Mum." I say and Taehyung straightens himself, getting ready to introduce himself but before he could my mother spoke out.

"Taehyung, I don't think you should be here."

"Mum." I gasped. "Jimin left, he's just helping me out-"

"Jina, stay out of this." She stuck her hand out towards me and I try standing up but I feel Taehyung's hand on my thigh from under the table, getting me to stop.

I look at him and he simply shook his head lightly, whispering "it's okay."

"I'm sorry, I'll get going." He stood up, his head hung a little low in respect for my mother right before he walked away.

"What the heck?" I turned to look at my mother.

"What part of I don't want you seeing him did you not understand?" My mother was close to yelling but instantly lowers her volume the moment she catches people glance our way.

"I can see whoever I want to see." I say and she moved back, scoffing at my remark.

"Give me your phone." She stuck her hand out and I shake my head.

"What? No-" And she snatches it from the table. "What are you doing?" I asked as she goes through my phone. I notice her click onto Taehyung's contact, deleting it the next moment. "Mum!"

"You're not talking to that boy." She let out sternly, placing my phone back onto the table.

"He's in my school, I will have to see him."

"I don't care, Jina. As of now, he's out of your life."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 47.9K 43
"I can't get my mind off you, I think I might be obsessed. The very thought of you makes me want to get undressed." --- "I felt his deep passion find...
1.4M 25.5K 33
She closes her eyes for a brief moment taking in the feeling of his touch all over her body. "They'll notice us gone" she whimpered wanting to leave...
1.3M 62.2K 39
My heart ached when I saw him with the princess. She was his fiancée. The pain was unbearable. I knew all too well that I would never be in her posit...
5.9M 205K 40
❝ Your love for someone can make you loathe yourself ❞ "Why are you late?" I asked him. He dropped his coat on the couch and seemed tired. "I had som...