Art of Deceit

By softaura

[was FEATURED on the official ROMANCE profile reading list!] 'His touch tainted the purest side of her.' ... More

part one
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
part two
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
s a n c t i f y. book 2

IX

27.5K 1.7K 1.1K
By softaura

CHAPTER NINE
okay

"You're welcome." Jimin hissed from the kitchen as I walked into the living room.

"For what?" My brows furrowed as I looked at him.

"For covering up for you," he paused as he looked up at me, "again." He let out somewhat frustratedly.

"I didn't ask you to do it." I shrug as I took my breakfast.

"You ungrateful little piece of-" he murmured under his breath. "You were with Taehyung, weren't you?" Jimin asked as he leaned against the counter top, staring right at me.

"Why should I tell you?" I met his gaze.

"Because, firstly, I'm older than you. Secondly, I could get your ass busted anytime." He said as he took a bite of his sandwich.

"You have to stop pulling the older sibling card, you're literally 2 minutes older than me." I groaned and before he could rebut I grabbed my car keys. "Hurry up, we're going to be late for school."

I got out the car, Jimin rushing out in a second, sprinting to school the next. I watched the back of his form walk away in such a hurry, meeting up with a bunch of his classmates and for some reason my heart sinks as I watched the students enter school.

Even though Yeona had been missing for a month, we thought she'd be back. The hope of seeing her still alive, but after the funeral, it was weird how I'd never see her walk up to school with her unusual choices of clothing.

"Hey," I feel an arm grab my waist and I turn around seeing Taehyung and he catches the look on my face. "Is something wrong?" He pulled away, looking at me intently.

"No, nothing." I shook my head, trying to shake off my thoughts and guilt but it comes rushing back in the moment students throw judgemental glances at us.

"We could skip today," I feel him nudge me the moment he realised why I was tense.

"Like, ditch school?" I turn to look at him with confusion and he nods. "You just really want to get the both of us in trouble, don't you?" I chuckle lightly and he mirrors my smile. "Plus, it's your first day back in a while."

"It's only half day today, Founder's Day is tomorrow." He reminded me and I nod, staring back at the school, the thought of skipping becoming more alluring. "We could go for a nice ride, somewhere a little different this time." He suggested.

"I have to be back here to pick Jimin up." I say, scrunching my face as he laughed.

"You say it like he's a kid."

"Well, he is." I stated and a throaty laugh escaped his lips. "And, he's been covering for me the past few days. I don't want him to know that I skipped." I say, not wanting him to know that Jimin was against us hanging out.

"I'll get you back here on time, promise." He stressed, tugging at me lightly so that I'd agree and I did.

We arrived at a basketball court that was close to Woods Field. It was a little rundown, the net torn apart with the basketball hoop layered with rust.

"What is this place?" I asked as we walked past the fence, onto the court.

"A basketball court, dummy." He laughed and I shoved him lightly.

"I can see that," I looked up at him and he smiles. "But what is this place to you? Why'd you bring me here?" I asked as we walked around.

"I used to tell my parents that I was practicing whenever I came here," he stated walking before me.

"And I assume that that was a lie?"

"Yep." He turned around, grinning with mischief. "There used to be a mural on one of these walls," he waved his hands over the wall that was covered with graffiti. "The street taggers got to it though." Taehyung sighed, arms dropping to his side.

"But there's this particular piece that I've always admired." He looked to me, gesturing for me to follow behind him and I did.

We took a turn into a small space, coming across a second basketball court. This one was in a better state than the other one, probably because it was harder to find. "Woah," I almost gasp, staring at the place that was covered in tags and I find myself staring in awe.

He jogged up to a corner, pointing at the wall. "Right here." He said right before gently sitting on the ground. I make my way next to him, crossing my legs as I sat next to him.

"I call that the boy." He stated as he stared at the graffiti. It was a little boy, curled into the corner of the wall, almost as though he was hiding himself from the rest of the art that was on the wall.

"Wow, so creative. I would've never thought of that." I let out sarcastically and he nudged me with his shoulders lightly.

"I remember coming here and instead of practicing, I'd just sit here. Thinking about what was the story behind this. I'd even try to replicate it in a notebook of mine." He passed me a quick glance right before glueing his eyes back to the boy that was crouched into the corner.

"I just thought it was such a contrast, everything on this wall's so bright and happy and then you come across this monochromatic boy that's just scared." He shook his head, leaning back a little.

"Kind of a buzzkill, huh?" I joked and he chuckled. "But, you know it could be coming from a place of hurt instead of fear. Trying to show that he's afraid to be exposed to anything remotely bright incase of getting hurt?" I shrugged, not sure if Taehyung got what I was trying to say.

"Like when you fall in love. It's supposed to be this great thing but if you fall in love with the wrong person, it could be the worst thing."

"Which explains why some people are afraid of falling in love." He said, cocking his head to the side as though finally understanding it.

The both of us continue staring at the boy, sitting in silence but soon he turned to me. A subtle frown was painted across his face, "have you ever fallen in love with the wrong person?"

"Hm," I hummed, going deep in thought. "Have you?" I throw back the question and he sucked in a deep breath, looking to his feet.

"I don't think I've ever been in love." He whispered, looking forward the next second, not daring to meet my gaze.

"Weren't you..." I didn't want to bring up Yeona's name, but at this point I couldn't help myself.

"I've never told this to anyone," his eyes meet mine, "but there was something always off with us. I never said anything because I didn't want people judging, you know? She's not here and here I am talking about it."

"I'm not judging." I assured him, wanting him to know that I was here if he wanted to talk.

"I know," he looked to me with a faint smile. "Is it weird, talking about Yeona?" He said her name for the first time in a while.

"Well, I don't think normal exists anymore." I pushed around little pebbles with my feet. We entered into silence once again.

"I'm sorry." He apologised out of nowhere and my eyes darted to meet his. "For dragging you into this, the attention of the town and all." He said, drawing imaginary circles on the ground.

"Hey, don't apologise. I chose to be here with you." I reached out to grab his hand and he smiles back at me but this time, his eyes were tainted with that look of sadness with hints of guilt.

I hated seeing him this down. I look past him, catching a glimpse of a basketball and I hop to my feet the moment an idea leaps into my head. I dust down my skirt as I walked towards the ball.

His eyes follow behind me, wondering what I was going to do and a dry chuckle leaves his lips the moment he sees me pick up the basketball. "I think it's time you show me what you can do." I said, throwing him the ball and he catches it as he stood up.

"Are you challenging me to a match?" He narrowed his eyes at me, a smirk tugging onto his lips and a shy smile breaks through my lips as I watch him but I cough, trying to maintain my serious demeanour.

"Maybe," I hummed and he starts rolling up his sleeves, dribbling the ball.

"You're going to regret this, you know?" He teased a little, bouncing the ball from his left hand and shifting it to the right effortlessly.

"I think you're just scared I'll beat you." I say and he snickered.

"Let's see."

"That's a foul!" He shouts in between his laughter as I ran with the ball with tiny steps, making sure my dress didn't flow up.

"No it isn't!" I said, trying to run away from him, going straight for the hoop.

"Yes it is, it's traveling." He laughed, trying to reach for the ball but I keep dodging his hands.

I finally reach the hoop, shooting the ball and to my surprise it goes in. "Ha!" I yell, turning back to Taehyung with arms raised in victory.

Taehyung bent over the next second, resting his hands on his knees as he attempted to catch his breath due to laughing too hard.

"Well that's 12 to 2." He said, walking towards me and I pushed against him.

"Nu-uh." I sang, "I clearly won." I joked and he holds my waist pulling me closer.

"Clearly, huh?" He repeated, holding me close to him as he leaned in and I find myself getting lost in his eyes.

"Mmhmm," I hummed, a smile splayed along my lips. His eyes trail down from my eyes to my lips and he tried to kiss me but I pull away slightly.

"I thought we agreed on taking things slow," I say, reminding him of the conversation we had last night on the roof of his car.

Before things could get too far, I stopped him since we were still getting to know each other and I had yet to sort out the guilt part with myself.

"I am taking things slow," he says defensively with a subtle smirk. "It's taking everything in me not to rip that dress off of you." He almost whispered as he eyed my body and I gulp. He leaned in again, pressing his lips onto mine and my body goes warm.

A certain rush took over me and I wrapped my arms around his neck as he secured my form with his arms. His hands ran up my back, my body hitting his softly with the motion. My breasts press against his chest and I feel his body tense up, his hands aching to explore every curve of my body.

He stops himself by digging his fingers lightly into my waist, distracting himself by kissing me harder but I pull away again.

"Now, we really shouldn't." I whispered breathlessly, knowing that if we continued, we wouldn't be able to stop. He nods after staring into my eyes for a brief moment, running his fingers through his hair with slight frustration.

As much as I wanted this, I knew it wasn't right, especially this soon due to the circumstances.

If we were to take this further, I wanted the both of us to be in a clear state of mind without our past haunting us.

Taehyung sat back in front of the boy, rubbing his face lightly as though to calm himself. "You're right, I want to do this but I want us to be..." he trailed off a little, trying to find the right word. "Okay." He continued and that simple word was probably the best for us.

Everything about this was far from okay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 62.2K 39
My heart ached when I saw him with the princess. She was his fiancée. The pain was unbearable. I knew all too well that I would never be in her posit...
30.5K 912 20
K.TH [ IN THE PROCESS OF EDITING !!! ] started : 04/03/2018 published : 04/07/2018 finished : 11/20/2018 edited : 03/28/2020
2.4M 107K 198
𝘈 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺 𝘰𝘧 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚, 𝙗𝙚𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙮𝙖𝙡, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝙧𝙚𝙙𝙚𝙢𝙥𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣 𝘴𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘚𝘦𝘰𝘶𝘭, 𝘚𝘰𝘶𝘵𝘩 𝘒𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘢. [Book 1, 2, & 3 Combined] ...
135K 2.5K 26
A simple cute college love story which folds in a type of beautiful comforts and discomforts. love and maturity. "her one screeching 'hii' can make m...