Just keep breathing

By Choose_love_H_S

Newly edited/amended chapters are all up! When Katie agrees to accompany her best friend Mel to a Harry Style... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
The Letter
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66 - Day one
Chapter 67 - Day one
Chapter 68 - Day one
Chapter 69 - Day one
Chapter 70 - Day two
Chapter 71 - Day Three
Chapter 72 - Day Four
Chapter 73 - Day Four
Chapter 74 - Day Five
Chapter 75 - Day Six
Chapter 76 - Day Seven
Chapter 77 - Day Eight
Chapter 78 - Day Nine
Chapter 79 - Day Ten
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Just a quick note from me!
Track list
Hello!
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88 - Epilogue

Chapter 28

13.6K 345 55
By Choose_love_H_S

It was nearly two hours later that we finally arrived home. Harry asked Toby to come and collect Mel and me from the club and get us back safely, which was a godsend as I wasn't sure I'd be able to get Mel home on my own.

Toby offered to stay with us until the morning, but I sent him home, he's meant to have a few weeks off whilst Harry is away, and I feel bad for having disturbed him as it is. Mel is sleeping now and seems to be ok, but I am laying in her bed with her so that I'm not far away if she wakes up and needs anything.

When my phone rings. I quietly make my way out into the hallway so as not to disturb her.

"Hey, baby." Harry's low voice emanates from my phone, "Are you OK?"

Just those few simple words are enough to break me, it's like how you can be having a bad day, but holding it together and telling everyone you're okay, right up until your mum asks you and you blubber like a baby. I can't control the sob that escapes my throat or the tears that slide unbidden down my cheeks, and I move further away from Mel's room quickly, I don't want her to hear me crying.

"Not really." I manage to reply through the tears.

"Why would anyone do such a thing to her Harry? She would never hurt a fly! I shouldn't have taken her out of the VIP room. If we'd have stayed in there, no one would have been able to get to her drink. It's all my fault" I sob.

"Ssshhh, baby it's not your fault! I know Mel well enough to know she was probably itching to get into the thick of it as much as you were, if not more. You can't blame yourself, darling."

"If I'd just stayed with her though... I left her alone, Harry! She must have been so scared, and she was all alone! " I know he is trying to comfort me, but I am so angry at myself. "How could I have been so stupid?"

"Katie, we both know you'd never have let Mel get hurt intentionally, but even if you had been right by her side.. there's no reason to think you'd have been able to stop the person who put whatever it was into her drink." He soothes me in a quiet voice.

"Maybe not." I agree with him, half-heartedly.

"I wish there was more I could do. I feel so useless being so far away. Is she ok now?" He asks.

"She's sleeping. She seems restless, but she's sleeping. Thank you so much for having Toby come and get us, it was a big help. I wish you were here though," I add quietly.

"I know baby. I wish I were too. A large part of me wants to jump on a plane and come and be with you. Look, I spoke to a friend of mine, a Doctor, if it's ok with you he's going to come over to your flat tomorrow and run a few tests, see if he can figure out what Mel was spiked with and check her over, make sure she is OK."

"That's really kind Harry, thank you. What did I ever do without you?" I ask him, my heart swelling with gratitude.

"Well, if I get my way, you aren't going to have to find out how to be without me again for a very long time." He replies. I feel the lump rising back in my throat and start to cry again.

"Hey, why are you crying again?" Harry asks me.

"I'm just happy," I say between sniffs. "Happier than I've been in a long time."

"That's all I want for you, Katie. But right now, you need to go to bed, its got to be what? Five am there?"

"Yeah, it's late, or early I guess." I yawn, suddenly realising how very tired I am. "I'm going to go crawl into bed with a beautiful blonde and try and get some sleep" I tease him.

"Oh, I see how it is. Away for two weeks and already I've been replaced?"

"Yep! Traded you in for a younger model." I giggle back.

"Stop teasing me and go to bed. Sleep, sweet darling."

"G'night, Harry."

"Katie, please stop fussing. I am OK, really." Mel admonishes me as I tuck the fluffy blanket around her feet on the sofa and ask her if I can get her anything for the tenth time.

The Doctor came earlier and did a couple of tests, and told us there were traces of the date rape drug, Rohypnol in her system. He said she would be fine in a day or two and to drink lots of water and take things easy until she feels back to her normal self. Rohypnol. Date rape.

These words have been running through my mind all day. Why would someone do that to my Mel?

"I just want to look after you. That's all." I answer her and place the TV remote in her hand.

"Katie, I love you, but you're driving me mad! It is not your fault that this happened. Please stop beating yourself up and go to work. I'll be fine. Honestly"

"OK, OK, I'm going. What time is Lee coming over?" I ask.

I wanted to cancel work tonight, but Mel insisted she'd be fine. Eventually, we compromised on her inviting over her friend from college so that she wouldn't have to be alone.

"In like, ten minutes." She says, looking at the clock. "So please, bugger off already."

I lean down and kiss her swiftly on the forehead.

"OK. I'm going. I have my phone though if you need..." A pillow flies across the room in my general direction, cutting me off. It didn't even come close to hitting me, but I take it as a sign that I am testing Mel's patience.

"Bye! Love you!" I call as I hurry out the front door and head to work.

Thankfully, by Tuesday Mel seems to be back to her old self again. Although the experience has clearly shaken her and she's quieter than usual, she assures me she isn't getting headaches any more and feels perfectly fine. So I attempt to stop badgering her about it and trust that she'll come to me if she needs to.

It already feels like this week has lasted forever, and the last two and a half weeks have felt even longer than that.

I can't wait for Harry to get home on Sunday, I didn't realise it was possible to miss someone so much after only knowing them for such a short time, but I feel like he took a part of me with him when he went away and there is a hole in my chest that won't quite close.

His tour has been going well, and he's had a few days off between his last show in New Zealand and the final two coming up in Japan, so he's been getting a bit of well earned rest.
I've just got out of the bath after a long shift at work when my phone beeps, announcing a text.

Harry:
I have a favour to ask... but before I do, I need you to promise me you'll at least think about it before you say no. OK? H x

Katie:
OK... I promise. But of course, I'll do whatever favour you need. What's up? xx"

I reply, hoping he doesn't need anything picked up from Gucci, I don't fancy going back there again just yet.

Harry:
Will you and Mel, come to the final show? H x

I stare down at my phone for nearly two full minutes, reading and re-reading the text.

He wants me to go to Japan??! Eventually, I pull myself together enough to respond.

Katie:
Are you kidding? Is this another one of your silly jokes? xx

Harry:
Deadly serious. I'll set it all up, all you'll have to do is get on the plane H x

Katie:
ALL!!!

I reply quickly. He knows I hate to fly, that is a pretty big 'all.'

Harry:
Trust me, baby, flying in a private plane is not the same as commercial, you'll love it, and the staff will take care of you. It's just you and Mel have both had a tough week, and I know neither of you has had a holiday in ages. And, to be honest, I miss you like crazy and I really, REALLY would like you to be here with me for the last show of the tour. Please? Just think about it. Let me know your answer when you get up tomorrow H x

Wow. He's serious. A private plane? Surely that's a little over the top. He's right that we've not had a holiday in a long, long time, and I know Mel would absolutely love to go, but... Japan?

Katie:
I'll think about it xx

Harry:
That's all I ask! Sleep sweet H x

"Harry wants to fly us out for his last show," I say to Mel as we stand in the kitchen folding laundry the next morning.

"Oh? That boy really is adorable, isn't he! I guess he must be missing you." She replies. "Where's the show?"

"Tokyo..."

"Are you fucking kidding me?!" Mel screams. "He's offering to fly us both out there? Me too? To Japan?" She is practically vibrating with excitement.

I knew once I told her, I would have no choice but to accept Harry's offer, but I couldn't decide on my own. I can't cope with having to do that flight just for myself, but if it's for the two people I care most about, maybe I can get through it.

"Not kidding. He says he'll sort a private jet to take us, and that 'all' we have to do is get on the plane," I make the universal gesture for inverted comma's as I explain this to her, making sure she knows how I feel about the idea.

"We HAVE to go!! " Mel exclaims, dropping the towel in her hands to the floor and grabbing both of my hands instead, looking straight into my eyes.

"You will be OK, I will look after you on the plane I promise, but seriously, this isn't the kind of offer people like you and me EVER get! You can't be considering saying no. He obviously really wants you there to go to so much trouble..."

"I guess so, and I miss him so much, I really do, the idea of getting to see him a few days early is really tempting... It's just... flying. How long does it even take to get to Japan?" I ask her incredulously.

She grabs her phone and types something quickly in to it, then shows me the screen,

"OVER TWELVE HOURS?? " I scream, it comes out a lot louder than I meant for it to.

"Yeah... But, in a private plane... you won't even notice the time passing! You can sleep most of the journey. Please Katie, Please tell him we'll go!" Mel bats her eyelashes at me and I pick up my phone, placing a call to Harry.

"I'm going to regret this... " I say to Mel just as Harry answers the phone.

"Regret what?"

"When do we need to be at the airport?" I ask him huffily.

"YOU'RE COMING?! Really? " He shouts down my ear making me quickly pull the phone away. I put him on speaker.

"Ow. Loud. Yes, we're coming, Mel's here too, by the way, you're on speaker."

"I guess you'd rather I didn't start talking about the fantastic experience you gave me in your hall then... " He teases, but I cut him off.

"Harry! Unless you want me to change my mind, I would shut up if I were you!"

"Harry, you are the BEST boyfriend Katie has ever had, by like a mile, not that there have been many to compete with, but still, fucking amazing!" She squeals and dashes over to the small stereo on top of the fridge hitting play on the CD, the sounds of Harry and his bandmates fill the small space as they start singing.

Her light is as loud as many ambulances
As it takes to save a saviour (whoa whoa whoa)
She floats through the room on a big balloon
Some say, "She's such a fake."
That her love is made up
No, no no no

Let's have another toast to the girl almighty
Let's pray we stay young
Stay made of lightning

Am I the only,
Only believer?

There's something happening here.

The only
Only believer

(There's something happening here,
I hope you feel what I'm feeling too)

I get down. I get down. I get down
On my knees for ya
I get down. I get down. I get down
On my knees
I get down on my knees for you.

Mel starts bouncing around and singing loudly to the track, which she calls her happy song. She says it puts her in a good mood whenever she hears it and I have to admit that it does have a similar effect on me.

I haven't heard it since before the incident at the weekend, so I guess I have made the right choice in agreeing to this impromptu trip. I walk out into the hallway to finish my conversation with Harry.

"Girl Almighty?" He asks in a bemused voice.

"Yeah, its Mel's happy song," I tell him.

"Cute. I'm so fucking pleased you are coming!! I erm, need to make a few calls, but how soon can you be ready to leave?"

"I have to work tonight, but then I have three days off, and I guess I can probably get a couple of my shifts next week covered if need be. So I guess we can be ready tomorrow afternoon?"

"Sick. Thank you for agreeing to this. I cannot wait to see you! " Harry says, excitedly.

"I'm looking forward to seeing you too, but after half a day on a plane, I cannot guarantee you I am going to be in the best mood when I arrive," I say trying to sound less terrified than I feel.

"It'll be fine baby, trust me. And I promise to show you just how much it means to me when you get here." he teases and I can hear the smirk stretching across his beautiful face. "I'll text you with all the details."

"Great. I guess I'll see you in a couple of days then." I say and end the call.

Well, it's done now, I might as well try and enjoy it, I think as I join Mel back in the kitchen, restarting the track and cranking up the volume on the CD player as I pass it. I grab her hands, and we dance around the kitchen, singing at the top of our lungs.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 27.8K 38
Marigold Styar has been best friends with Harry Styles since before she can remember. That doesn't mean she doesn't see him as more. As they embark...
222K 4.7K 49
They've known each other since they were eleven, inseparable best friends for as long as they can remember, but long distance and spotty behavior cau...
61.4K 1.5K 65
Westlake, South Carolina. Home to Brooklyn Callahan, the best latte maker on the east coast. Or so her mom tells her. She's lived in the mundane town...
3.8K 287 29
// THIS BOOK IS GOING THROUGH HEAVY EDITING// This was the first book I ever wrote when I was in 8th grade. It has a lot of mistakes in it. There are...