Chapter 4

Has it really only been two days? How can that be?

After we get home on Monday night, I text Harry as I promised I would and let him know I had gotten back safely, even though I was sure that Toby, his driver, could just as easily have let him know. To my surprise, he responded straight away.

Kate:
As requested, I am informing you that your driver got us home safely. I guess he gets to keep his job another day x

Harry:
Phew. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find good drivers in London, I didn't want to have to let him go ;) Thanks for letting me know. I am headed to bed, didn't trust myself not to fall asleep before you text so waited up, but I do have to be up early. Sleep sweet. H x

In all honesty after that short and sweet conversation, I didn't expect to hear another word from him until he got back to London on Friday. But the very next day I wake up late and groggy, the sound of Mel belting out some rock song from the shower reverberating around the flat, and pick up my phone to check the time. There waiting for me on the screen, is another message from Harry.

Harry:
I hope you slept well and are feeling lovely and refreshed this morning! I'm just jumping in the car to head to mums, text me later? H x

Hmm, should I respond now? Or wait a little longer? I check the time on the text, 7:43 am. He wasn't kidding about the early start! Damn.
It's nearly eleven thirty now and I haven't so much as brushed my teeth!

Stretching and yawning loudly, I clamber out of bed and head to the kitchen. Pancakes... I need pancakes. I think to myself. Pancakes fix everything. As I wander around aimlessly searching through the cupboards for ingredients, I hear Mel calling.

"Katie? Please tell me you're making breakfast. I'm starving!!"

"Pancakes OK? " I yell back up the stairs to her.

"Amazing. I'll be down in five."

I set to work mixing the batter and heating the pan, absent-mindedly humming to myself when;

She worked her way through a cheap pack of cigarettes, Hard liquor mixed with a bit of intellect.

And all the boys they were saying they were into it, Such a pretty face, on a pretty neck...

"Katie's driving me craaaaazy!" Mel practically screams into my ear in time to the song.

Making me jump and lose my grip on the bowl I am holding, sending pancake batter flying all over the kitchen units and floor.

The music is blaring out of the small stereo on top of the freezer which up until a couple of moments ago was quietly playing some generic pop on the radio. Well, I guess the wine last night hasn't caused any after-effects.

"Bitch!" I complain, jokingly. "You know you're cleaning that upright?" I laugh and throw a towel at her face. In return, Mel tosses me my phone which I somehow manage to catch with my battered covered hands before it hits the counter.

"If you're not going to respond to the poor boy, can you at least silence your phone, so I don't have to hear it beeping every five minutes? THAT is driving ME crazy! " She sings the last few words in true Harry style.

Excuse the pun, flicking her long blonde hair over her shoulder as she starts to wipe up the gooey mess from the counter.

"Huh?" I say confused about taking the phone and seeing I have two new messages.

Harry:
Either you are sleeping in VERY late, or you're purposefully making me sweat before you answer my text. If it's the first, that's a habit we need to break, I'm a morning person. If its the second... well you need to break that habit too. I'm not a patient man. H x