Camping with the Jerk

By FictionFree

Jessica Evans is abused. Her dad died, and she was left to take care of her sister all while taking the hits... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
AUTHOR'S NOTE/Q&A

Camping with the Jerk

23.1K 292 86
By FictionFree

So...I got this idea and I couldn't wait to post it and see what you all think :) Hopefully, it turns out okay!

*  *  *  *  *

Chapter 1

"You better pack your bags," my mom said, full-on glaring at me while I applied make-up to the vivid bruise on my jaw.

"Why? You gonna send me away?" I asked, not caring if she'll hit me again.

"You're going to camp in a few days," she replied. I froze. Camp?

"I don't want to go to camp this summer," I mumbled. Every summer, ever since I was nine, I went to this camp. My dad owned it, and he was always the main reason I would go. But last year, my dad...died. He was in a car accident. Some drunk driver.

She grabbed me by the arm and hissed in my ear. "I don't care what the hell you want or don't want. You're going to camp."

Folding my arms in denial, I turned to face her. "If I'm going to camp, I'm taking Maddie with me."

She scoffed. "I was already planning to bring her. I'm not leaving my daughter with some babysitter."

It's not like you'd take care of Maddie on your own...

"Wait. You're coming?"

"Of course! I'm running the camp with Mr. Davis. Did you think I was just going to give him all the profits it makes?"

I didn't answer, just walked out of the room, heading to my own so I could pack. "Jessie!"

The little girl ran into my arms and squeezed me tight. "I go camp with yoooouuuu!" she sang.

"Yes, Maddie. You're coming with me. You wanna help me pack my things?"

She nodded eagerly. "I big girl now, Jessie. I help!"

I laughed at the two year old next to me. Her tiny feet padded against the floor as she ran to my bed. Maddie watched intently as I pulled out my suitcase and started putting clothes in. Her hand stopped mine right before I put a blue t-shirt in.

"You wear dat one tomorrow!" she exclaimed.

"Okay," I laughed. "I'll wear it."

"Pinky?"

I held out my pinky finger and hooked ours together. "Pinky promise," I confirmed.

"Jessie?"

"Yeah, hun?" I asked, not looking at her as I continued to pack.

"We see daddy at camp?" she asked hopefully. My eyes closed and I breathed deeply.

"Maddie, daddy won't be there."

"Otay. I wait."I smiled, knowing she won't give up on her daddy. She swung her legs back and forth on the edge of the bed and kept an innocent smile.

*  *  *  *  *

The next day, we were sitting in the car, on our way to the camp. Maddie turned to me, her finger in her mouth. I kept my eyes on my only sister the entire ride. Eventually, my eyes drooped closed and I fell asleep, breathing slowly.

“Get the hell up.” Along with the sharp voice, there came a slap. My cheek stung as I opened my eyes and got out of the car. I got Maddie out of her car seat and pulled both our bags out. Luckily, she only had a small backpack, so I swung that over my shoulder. I struggled to drag my own bag behind me while keeping Maddie on my hip. My mother walked ahead, her head held high.

"Looks like you need some help,” a female voice said from my right. I turned to look at her and smiled gratefully as she took my bag for me.

“Thank you.”

She grinned in return and went with me to the administrative cabin, where we were to find out our rooms and roommates. We stepped into the small cabin and I pretended not to know my mom as she did the same for me. I looked for my name in the list, and found I was in cabin 17. Before she could greet my mother, I headed out, with her following behind me. Maddie relaxed in my arms.

“I’m Maya, by the way,” the girl said, flipping her blonde hair out of her face and holding a hand out.

I took her hand and nodded. “I’m Jessica. Jess for short.”

“And who’s this cutey?” she asked, grinning widely at Maddie.

“This is Maddie. My sister.”

Maddie held out her hand to shake, and smiled a broad, toothy smile.

“How old is she?” Maya asked.

“Two.” She led me in the direction of all the cabins, glancing at me.

“Which cabin?”

“Um…17,” I replied, almost forgetting we were headed to the cabin.

“Oh! That’s the same cabin I’m in! We have one other roommate. Her name is Gina. She’s really friendly.”

I smiled, happy that I wasn’t rooming with people I wouldn’t like. “So, Maya, this is your first summer here, right?”

She nodded, opening the door to Cabin 17. “Yep. I’m just hoping everyone here is as friendly as you and Gina.”

I debated whether or not I should lie by telling her that they were. Deciding against it, I set Maddie and her bag down on the empty bed and shook my head.

“Not everyone.” I turned to the petite girl sitting on a chair, reading a book. A big book, might I add.

“Hey, I’m Jess,” I greeted. Her smile was small, and I could tell she was kind of shy.

“I’m Gina.”

I nodded and grinned, facing my bed again to put my things away, shoving my suit case under the bed. When everything was settled, I took Maddie and headed for the door.

“Where are you going?” Maya asked curiously.

“We’re supposed to meet in the cafeteria in a few, so I figured we could go early to grab some seats.”

“How did you know?” Gina asked.

“I’ve gone here for the past eight years,” I shrugged and they followed me out. Unfortunately, the place was already crowded.

“I guess everyone else had the same idea,” Maya muttered. I nodded and led them inside.

We were all seated when Mr. Davis, the new camp director spoke up. “Okay, it looks like I have your full attention. I have a few things to say.”

I zoned out and stared down at the ground until people started getting up to grab some lunch. When Maya and Gina stood up, Maddie hopped off my lap.

“I hungry!” she said.

Maya came up behind her. “I can take her to get something to eat if you want,” she offered, playing with Maddie’s golden curls. I nodded and made my way out the door.

When I was sitting outside, I pulled the sleeves of my jacket up, looking at the bruises and cuts on my arms. I felt tears welling up in my eyes, but I forced them down and ran my fingers along the scars.

“What happened?”

I jumped at the voice, pushing my sleeves down as quickly as I could. “Nothing,” I replied to the person quickly, not even looking to see who was standing behind me.

Turns out, it was a guy. A very very hot guy named Colton Andrews. He sat down next to me and stared at my covered arm. “Seriously, what happened to your arm? Are you…like…”

He paused for a second, eyeing me. Please don’t say abused…

“Are you cutting yourself?” he asked finally. I gotta admit, I was taken aback by his question.

“What? No!” I shook my head, happy he didn’t realize the truth.

“Then what are all those cuts from?”

My mom got drunk one day, and instead of hitting me, she threw a vase.

“I tripped and fell, bringing a glass vase with me,” I lied. He didn’t catch it, and I felt relief wash through me.

“You’re Jessica, right? I’ve seen you around school.” I nodded my head, keeping my gaze away from him.

“Hey, Colt! Whatcha doin out here?” another voice called. Colton stood up.

“Sup, Dean. I was just chilling out until the line gets shorter,” he replied, gesturing to the long line of people waiting to grab food.

“And who is this pretty little lady?” Dean asked, giving me the once-over.

“I’m Jessica,” I replied, hiding the irritation in my voice.

“Nice to meet you, Jessica. I can give you a little tour of the grounds if you’d like,” he said.

“No thanks. I know my way around,” I replied, getting up and going back inside once I noticed Maya and Gina taking Maddie back to our table.

I sat down, crossed my arms, and kicked my feet up on the table. A hand was placed on my shoulder. I looked up to see Mr. Davis, with my mother standing to his side. I looked between him and his hand.

“Sit properly, Mrs. Evans,” he said. I rolled my eyes and slowly removed my feet from the table.

“You need to learn some respect,” my mother said. I raised an eyebrow at her, completely aware of the silence in the room and all the eyes on this confrontation. I felt Maddie stiffen and ease closer to me.

“You are going to help clean up after lunch,” she stated.

“Anything else you’d like to punish me with?” I asked. A few people were whispering about me.

My mother’s eyes narrowed in anger and her face turned red. I guess she’s embarrassed about me. “Jessica Evans! Go to my office. Right now!”

I stood up roughly, pushing my chair out of the way. “Whatever you say,” I replied before looking at Maya, who had a stunned expression.

“Take Maddie back to the room. I’ll be there soon,” I told her. She nodded.

I pushed the doors open and brushed past Colton and Dean, who were heading in. I heard the murmurs of people as I walked away. I met my mother and Mr. Davis in the office and I waited for the punishment I would receive.

“How dare you talk to me like that in front of everybody! Do you know how much you just embarrassed me?” she screamed. I let her rant and took deep breaths when she moved towards me, Mr. Davis smirking the whole time.

She slapped me in the face, the same spot as earlier. I tried not to wince. Suddenly, she grabbed my arm and pushed me towards Mr. Davis. When he sent a punch to my stomach, I doubled over in pain. I kneed him where the sun don’t shine and made a run for it, but he caught my arm and my mom kicked me hard in the ankle, knowing it’s injured. I screamed in pain and made it to the door, trying to just get away. When I was finally out, I stopped to catch my breath. Nobody was out yet, and I was grateful for that. I limped to my cabin so I could cover everything up.

This summer just got a heck of a lot worse.

*  *  *  *  *

So...What do you think? Vote/Comment!

Teaser: A suspicious boy. A secretive girl. And some seriously nosey friends.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3M 65K 19
"I need your help." He was obviously drunk, and I was obviously confused. "What the fu-" Mason pushed a hand to my mouth. "Shhh," he shushed me lou...
193K 3.7K 14
Living a life with her abusive father, and brother that doesn't care about her, Malia questions herself whether or not her life's worth it. But with...
573K 12.5K 28
Hannah Jacobs was the feistiest kid in town and always got into arguments with the bad boy next door. Most kids were scared of him, but not Hannah. S...
1.2M 24.9K 35
Cashmere is just an average girl. She's had a life full of abuse at school and at home. Her job is the only thing she looks forward to. What happens...