History's Shadow I: Legends B...

By kdzr_author

England: circa 1310 A.D. Few are blessed with the burden of foresight. Few could feel the wind changing, or s... More

Part I: Prologue
Chapter One - The Curse (1/2)
Chapter One - The Curse (2/2)
Chapter Two - Nightmare (1/2)
Chapter Three - A New Pride (1/2)
Chapter Three - A New Pride (2/2)
Chapter Four - Revolt (1/3)
Chapter Four - Revolt (2/3)
Chapter Four - Revolt (3/3)
Chapter Five - Demetrius vs. the Dragon (1/2)
Chapter Five - Demetrius vs. the Dragon (2/2)
Chapter Six - Alexander
Part II: The Sands of Time
Chapter Seven - Tahir (1/2)
Chapter Seven - Tahir (2/2)
Chapter Eight - Oraden
Chapter Nine - Elysi (1/2)
Chapter Nine - Elysi (2/2)
Chapter Ten - Rhykell (1/2)
Chapter Ten - Rhykell (2/2)
Chapter Eleven - Jeverre (1/2)
Chapter Eleven - Jeverre (2/2)
Chapter Twelve - Rendezvous
Chapter Thirteen - Discovery (1/2)
Chapter Thirteen - Discovery (2/2)
Chapter Fourteen - Voyage (1/2)
Chapter Fourteen - Voyage (2/2)
Chapter Fifteen - Tested
Chapter Sixteen - Revelations (1/2)
Chapter Sixteen - Revelations (2/2)
Chapter Seventeen - Gavin
Part III: All Good Things...
Chapter Eighteen - Destiny (1/2)
Chapter Eighteen - Destiny (2/2)
Chapter Nineteen - Humans (1/1)
Chapter Twenty - England (1/2)
Chapter Twenty - England (2/2)
Chapter Twenty-One - Smokey (1/2)
Chapter Twenty-One - Smokey (2/2)
Chaper Twenty-Two - (Iltrepidore 1/2)
Chapter Twenty-Two - Iltrepidore (2/2)
Chapter Twenty-Three - Delivery (1/1)
Chapter Twenty-Four - The Twelve (1/3)
Chapter Twenty-Four - The Twelve (2/3)
Chapter Twenty-Four - The Twelve (3/3)
Chapter Twenty-Five - Asymptier (1/1)
Chapter Twenty-Six - The Storm (1/2)
Chapter Twenty-Six - The Storm (2/2)
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Artemisios (1/1)
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Goodbye (1/2)
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Goodbye (2/2)
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Divided (1/1)
Chapter Thirty - Revolution (1/1)
Epilogue
Preview: Legends Born (Fausta Edition)
Bonus Chapter: Fausta
Bonus Chapter: Fausta II

Chapter Two - Nightmare (2/2)

4.2K 222 11
By kdzr_author

Sara was worried about Mary. Since Mettal brought her and their three children to her home, she had not spoken a word or moved a muscle. She slumped in the chair, staring out at nothing, and was unresponsive to any of Sara's efforts to comfort her.

"Hello? Sara?"

"Oh, Ezria," Sara replied. "Come on in. I knew you'd come sooner or later."

"As soon as I could. How are you?"

"I'm all right. But Nahorim has injured his leg and Mary is out of her mind."

She led her friend to Mary. The woman seemed not to notice the presence of her two friends. Ezria examined Mary's head. There was no bleeding, and no bruises or lumps. Aside from a few minor scrapes on her arms, she seemed to be in good physical condition.

"Where is the boy?"

"Sleeping on a pallet in the back. I sent the other children out to see if they could be of any help. Better they don't see their mother like this. I didn't know what else to do."

"You did the best thing. I'll check on the boy first, and then we will see what we can do for Mary. I'll call you if I need any help; otherwise I think it best if you stay with her."

Ezria found Nahorim asleep on a sheepskin blanket. She got down on the floor with him and gently shook his shoulder.

"Nahorim, Nahorim, wake up."

The boy woke from a sound sleep. As soon as he started to turn over, he let out a cry of pain.

"Be still now. I know it hurts. I'm here to help, but you'll have to show me exactly where it hurts. Will you do that?"

"Yes." the boy replied with a grimace, allowing Ezria to help him sit up.

"It hurts mostly right here," he pointed to his left ankle, "but sometimes it hurts up here too." He showed her how the pain radiated from his ankle to his shin.

"That's good. Now just lie back down and let me look at it. This may hurt a little. Are you ready?"

"Do you have to make it hurt more?"

"I'll try not to, but I have to feel it. Try not to move or it might hurt more."

Nahorim nodded his understanding. He closed his eyes tightly and clinched his teeth.

Ezria didn't find any broken bones; just a great deal of swelling.

"There. I'm all finished. That wasn't so bad, was it?"

"No, it wasn't bad at all."

"It might hurt for a few days. Stay off of it for a while and it should heal nicely on its own by harvest time."

"You want me to stay in bed that long?"

"No, no, no," she chuckled. "You don't have to be in bed. I'm going to make a splint and we'll get a walking stick to help you get around when you have to. You could even hop around on your good foot. By harvest festival you'll be the best hopper in the village. Remember how we always have silly races and competitions? You're sure to win. How would you like that?"

"I can hop pretty good now, so I know I'll be the best for the festival!"

"I'm sure you will be. And what prize do you think you'll win?" she asked, opening her pack of medicinal supplies that she always carried on her belt. She continued talking to the boy as she wrapped his ankle, trying to direct his mind to happier times. When she was satisfied with the splint, she rolled a blanket underneath his ankle to keep it elevated.

"Now you try to go back to sleep. There are other things I need to see to. I'll check on you again later." She made Nahorim comfortable in his sheepskin before going out to see about his mother.

"How is he?" Sara stood up to meet her.

"It's not bad at all. Nothing is broken; he'll be fine. I guess we should be more concerned about his mother." Ezria nodded toward their despondent friend.

"I don't know what else to do," Sara said. "I've tried to talk to her and comfort her, but she doesn't even seem to hear me."

"Let's start by getting her cleaned up. Do you have a garment she can wear?"

"I'm sure I can find something." Sara replied.

"Good, I'll fetch some water. We'll bathe and dress her, try to get her to drink some hot tea. I know a nice herb with a refreshing aroma and invigorating taste. I make it for myself sometimes when morning seems to come a bit too soon. Maybe then, she'll start to come around."

While Ezria and Sara gave Mary a sponge bath, they talked to her about rebuilding a home for her family. Ezria offered extra cooking utensils she could have. Sara would make some clothing for the family. They dressed her in one of Sara's nicest robes, then combed her hair and oiled her skin. They sat her at the table and offered Mary a cup of hot tea. At first, Ezria had to force her to drink, but soon Mary began to sip from the cup without Ezria's help. They continued to talk to Mary while enjoying their own tea, just as they have done many times before. Mary slowly became aware of her surroundings. Her eyes focused on Ezria and Sara. She looked around the room.

"Where am I?" she asked.

"You are at Sara's house. How do you feel?" Ezria reached out and held her hand.

Ezria and Sara exchanged glances as they watched Mary come back to life.

"Where are Mettal and my children?"

Her two friends smiled at her.

"Mettal is out cleaning up the wreckage. I suppose Benjamin and Cara are with him. Nahorim is asleep in the back. More importantly, how are you feeling?" Sara asked.

"Like I've been asleep for a long time—that I had a bad dream."

"No, I'm afraid, not. I wish it were but a dream." Ezria said. "Netiro attacked the village in the middle of the night. I'm sorry...your home was destroyed. Everyone had to jump from a window to escape the fire. Nahorim injured his leg but it's not too serious, nothing broken. He's in good spirits and will be up and around in no time. We're not going to dwell on the negative though. You and your family are safe, Mary. It could have been much worse."

"That's right," Sara added, "We should all count our blessings and give thanks to the Lord for sparing our lives. I was afraid you were lost to us forever. I've never seen anyone in such a condition before."

"I'm sorry for giving you such a fright. I suppose I should also thank the Lord for giving me such good friends. I'd hate to think what might have—

"Hush now, no need for all of that. You would have done the same for either of us. I'm just happy you are better. You certainly look much better," Ezria said, with a reassuring smile.

"How do you like the robe? You can keep it if you like. I can always make another one," Sara offered.

"Oh, it's lovely," Mary said, as she looked at the beautiful cloth. "You both are so kind. I, I don't..."

Sara reached across the table to pat Mary's hand.

"Ezria is right, Mary, you needed us and we were there for you. What kind of friends would we be if we didn't take care of each other?" Sara got up to get the kettle hanging above the fire. "Would anyone like some more tea?"

"Yes, just a little please," replied Mary.

"How about you Ezria, more tea?"

"I'll have one more cup. Then I suppose we'd better get to work."

"Netiro certainly made a mess of things this time, didn't he?" Sara shook her head and refilled their cups.

"Well, when I went out to fetch the bath water, I saw everyone working so hard to put the village back together and I had a thought. It might be a good idea if we prepared one large meal for the entire village. That way, each family would not have to stop their chores to prepare their meals. It would give us all more time to get this place back in order. Afterwards we could help with whatever work is left to be done. What do you think Mary? Are you up to doing some cooking?" Ezria asked.

"I feel a little tired. But when are we not tired? It's a great idea. Of course I'll help," Mary answered.

"It might even help lift our spirits a bit," Sara added. "We can all pull together and gather from our neighbors' crops, and...Oh, Nahorim is an excellent fisherman, isn't he Mary? We can sit him down at the stream and I bet when we come back for him, he'll have enough fish for all of us."

"That might be a bit ambitious for my son, Sara, but I'm sure whatever he catches will be a big help," Mary told her with a smile.

"So it is settled. Let's finish our tea and get started. As soon as Nahorim wakes up, we'll take him to the stream. I will send word of our plans through some of the children."

As daylight broke, the women began preparing the meal that would feed the entire village. Nehemiah and several other men cleared away the rubble where Mettal's house once stood. The rumors, so it seemed, spread as fast as the night's fires. As he rifled through the wreckage for salvageable goods, he heard whispers about the proposed war against the dragon.

"Is he crazy?" he heard some say.

"It's about time someone decided to do something," others mumbled.

"How is he planning to pull it off?" many wondered.

Nehemiah continued working as if unaware of the eyes following him. From what he overheard, about half the village supported the idea. He had to choose his words wisely. No one would trust a fool to lead them into battle with an enemy as formidable as Netiro.

"Is there truth to the rumors, Brother?" Bakuk chewed a stick—as he often did when deep in thought—and his eyes shifted back and forth over the village. He worked beside Nehemiah, but never so much as glanced in his direction, so as not to draw attention to their conversation.

"Would you consider me unwise, my friend, if I told you there was?" Nehemiah asked, following his friend's technique by avoiding eye contact.

"Some would." Bakuk rolled the stick in his mouth. "The fires burn hot. It is easy to allow the smoke to cloud our judgment."

"So you think it's foolish?"

"I think if you intend to take on such a task, you better have a good plan and a lot of strong men." His eyes finally met Nehemiah's. "So far you've got one."

* * * * *

"Ezria!" a familiar voice called.

She looked out of the window and saw Elijah's wife standing in the yard. She was clearly upset about something. Ezria put down the knife she was using to clean the fish, wiped her hands, and rushed to the door.

"Helen, come in. What's wrong?"

"Did you know that Nehemiah and Elijah are planning an attack on Netiro? They are going to try to kill him! Nehemiah is a brave strong man, but my poor Elijah is two slices short of a loaf. He's all I've got. You have to help me stop him! Elijah will be killed for sure!"

"Wait! Slow down Helen. Come. Sit and tell me everything." She poured tea and then took the seat across the table.

Helen sipped the tea, took a deep breath and began again.

"Elijah felt responsible for Netiro's attack last night because we were unable to provide enough food. So Nehemiah talked with him and told him that it wasn't his fault. Then he said it was time to take action against Netiro. Nehemiah told Elijah that he was going to plan an attack. I don't think he meant to include Elijah. Elijah just appointed himself leader of the attack to relieve his guilt. He's so excited about all of this. He can't lead an attack Ezria, especially one of this nature. I'm so afraid. I just don't know what I'd do if I lost my husband!" Helen buried her face in her hands as she burst into tears.

"Calm down, Helen. I was not aware of their plans. Be assured I will speak with my husband on your behalf."

"Oh, Ezria. I would be so grateful if you could convince Nehemiah to leave Elijah behind."

"After dinner I will speak with him. Go along now and let me finish cooking."

"Thank you, Ezria. I know Nehemiah will do the right thing."

"Yes, he is a good man. Do not worry."

Ezria could see the relief on Helen's face when she left.

What was Nehemiah planning? How could he even think about doing such a crazy thing? She would definitely have a talk with her husband tonight.

* * * * *

"Nehemiah, a word with you, please." The voice of his wife's grandfather pulled him away from his work. He and Bakuk, still chewing his stick, exchanged glances. As one of the village elders, Zakaria was responsible for Nephram. This was not the first time Nehemiah initiated a project without consulting the elders.

As Bakuk thought back over the years, he realized his friend was a repeat offender. After one of Netiro's attacks left the temple in shambles, Nehemiah led the men in rebuilding it solely out of mud brick, without the straw, timber, or animal skins that fueled the dragon's fire. He also led a small band of men to some of the wealthier trading villages to request their assistance. Of course they refused. But he returned with a wealth of knowledge, and was soon designing an irrigation system; digging trenches to create pools that would help keep the fires from spreading. Some would even say he stole Ezria out from under one of the elder's sons.

Bakuk knew Nehemiah meant no disrespect; he typically spoke his ideas as they came to him and the people listened. He was so passionate about his causes and so believed his words that the minor detail of including the elders often eluded his mind until it was too late. Zakaria knew this as well, but the rest of the elders weren't as understanding.

The old man led Nehemiah into his home. He paced the room rubbing his temples.

"You know something must be done." Nehemiah blurted, already knowing the scolding he would receive.

"Of course I know that!" He abruptly turned to Nehemiah. "The time is long overdue that we fight back. You are like my son, and I see great things in you. I look forward to the day that you can take my place, but today is not that day, Nehemiah!"

"Elijah was hysterical, I wanted to give him hope, help him find strength within himself. I didn't intend for him to go and tell"—

"That mouth of yours! It is as much a blessing as it is a curse. If you came to us first, we could have worked together to come up with a plan. We could back you, stand united before the people and have their support. We are old men; the elders are not going into battle. Certainly we would let you lead this foolish mission if that's what you desire. But look around you. Crops are destroyed, homes damaged, and strong men injured. If you lead the men to their deaths by the teeth of the dragon, who will rebuild? How can we recover? We will die anyway. Now is not the time for vengeance."

"I am sorry. You are right. I will end the rumors and tell the people we must focus on rebuilding."

"It is not so simple Nehemiah. I fear you must attack now."

"But, you said—

"I know what I said." Zakaria stopped pacing and stared at the wall. "Do you know why no one challenges the dragon?"

"He is a formidable foe. We are all taught to fear and obey him from a young age."

"Yes, a lesson you have obviously disregarded. Nehemiah, you are not the first to think you could defeat the dragon. You are not the only man to want a better life for his family. The others just heed our warning, and for good reason."

"But"—

"No, for once just listen. When I was a child, younger than Demetrius, there was a man not unlike you. He too thought he could rally the people and destroy Netiro. He was a great warrior during a time when turmoil plagued the land. Even the most tyrannical of rulers would protect his people from their common enemies. But not Netiro. He offered no assistance against the invaders; he only added to their onslaught. He demanded just as much food, his temper just as fiery; he had no sympathy for our village whatsoever. This man, I remember him as a giant of a man. But I was just a young child. He was convinced that we could not survive those determined to drive us from our land and Netiro and his demands as well. So he planned an attack on the dragon." Zakaria closed his eyes and sighed heavily before turning to Nehemiah as he continued his story.

"One night, the man simply disappeared. The roof of his home, pried off. His wife and children lay dead in their beds, or what was left of them, I was told. No one saw or heard anything. As day broke, the dragon returned. He roared overhead, demanding everyone come out to see their hero." Tears welled in Zakaria's eyes. He pressed his fist against his mouth, swallowed hard, then gathered his composure. "He dropped the man before us. He was so badly burned I couldn't recognize him. The dragon warned us that this is what happens to those who opposed him. He said if anyone dared touch the man, they would share his fate. So no one did. Not one of us helped him; we were all too afraid. Every man, woman, and child stood helpless as Netiro sauntered off to feast on our sheep. We were instructed not to move until this man drew his last breath. And so there we stood. The image still haunts my dreams."

Nehemiah shook his head. He hated the monster even more.

Zakaria wiped his eyes. "There was speculation that Netiro had help. No one could explain how the dragon knew about the plan, unless he had a spy."

Nehemiah stared at Zakaria in disbelief. "Who could be so treacherous? Who could help such a monster, against his own people no less?"

"No one knew. But if the dragon sought you out and threatened to destroy your family unless you agreed to be his spy, would you decline? I don't think many men would, so I cannot condemn that man, whoever he was, and nor should you."

"If this spy were a man when you were a child, then he has likely passed on by now."

"Most likely. But are you so naïve to think Netiro has not found a replacement? I fear you may have made yourself a target, Nehemiah."

Now it was Nehemiah's turn to pace. He ran his hand through his hair.

"Whom do you suspect?"

"I have no suspects."

"Then I must act quickly. I need your help, Zakaria. I need you to conduct a census under the guise of making sure everyone is safe and accounted for. Say that we'd hate for anyone to be lying in a field injured. If anyone is missing, we can assume he has left to warn Netiro."

"And if he has?" Zakaria asked, as Nehemiah headed for the door. "And what about the elders? They will resist you every step of the way."

"I may have just marked my family for death. I don't care about bruising the elders' delicate egos. We attack tonight."

* * * * *

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this chapter, please leave a vote. Feedback is always welcome, so let me know what you think in the comments. And if you're really enjoying it, please share with your friends and leave a review on Amazon (http://tinyurl.com/ReviewLegendsBorn) so maybe I'll get motivated to finish the sequel. Thanks again, and happy reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 8.3K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
58 9 9
A boy born without knowing his own family, knows nothing about their faces. The only thing he could rely on were strict rules. Born into a world with...
160 16 21
Growing up is one thing, but knowing you are being trained for the purpose of war is not something you would want as a teenager, and when you know yo...
133 13 14
A young girl comes to grips with fear at a time of peace in The Realm.But peace is a relative term it seems.The days ahead will change folks lives fo...