(1) Puppet (Preview)

By Alex-Sinclair

BOOK ONE of THE CURSE SERIES When Isabella Calloway saw the wolf outside of her window, she felt safe again... More

PUBLISHED
BOOK NEWS
NEW NAME
♦Before You Begin♦
♦Part One♦
The Wolf Outside My Window
Prologue
Two: Coffee and Strangers
Three: Dangers of the Forest
Four: The Forest
Five: The Curse of Curiosity
Six: I Will Protect You
Seven: Saved
Eight: Confessions
Nine: Big Bad Wolf
Ten: Don't Lie
Eleven: Mystery of a Man
Twelve: Until Next Time
Thirteen: The Funeral
Fourteen: The Folder

One: Dirty Little Secrets

17.1K 633 221
By Alex-Sinclair

The sky proved its point in being baleful. Thick clouds hung so low, I was sure I could stick my hand upward and touch them. Their colourless bounds of mist were darker than I was used to, although that could have been due to the fact it was nighttime.

What am I doing out here again?

"Pass me the paint," a voice snapped from in front of me.

I rolled my eyes at his haughty attitude and handed him the bucket of paint. As I stood there with uncomfortable shivers dancing across my skin and aches sprouting on my feet, I wondered why the hell I let myself get into such a situation.

"Hurry up," I muttered through clenched teeth.

The humid air caused a thin layer of sweat to coat my arms. I swiped my fingers across my forehead in dismissal. We were standing outside of our high school performing acts on the walls that were not considered legal.

The only reason I was there was that I'd lost a bet to the school's jackass. I wasn't one to go against a bet.

"What? You scared?" Timothy glanced behind his shoulders to flash me a toothy grin. "Is Ella Calloway scared of the dark?"

"No," I retorted sharply.

He huffed and continue with his 'artwork.' "Don't worry, babe. I'll save you from the big bad wolf."

My eyes did a quick scan of his body. The wolf I knew could tear him apart limb from limb. The cynical part of me figured he'd deserve it. That was a part of me that I showed to nobody.

Timothy stroked his paintbrush against the brick wall. In all honesty, I had no idea why he was so insistent on coming that night, of all nights. The rain was due, the temperature was hotter than any other, and we had school in the morning. I wouldn't have been surprised if his intentions were immoral.

He was, after all, an insolent pig. If I weren't so good on my word, I would have been in the safeties of my bedroom. Just in case he did try anything, I had pepper spray stashed in my bag. He had tried something on me at one point in time and lived to regret it.

The atmosphere was anything but amicable. The trees rattled against one another and the wind blew harshly against us in a warning battle. I securely wrapped my arms around myself as my eyes scanned the area. There was only one streetlamp a few yards away. Its constant flicker left me wary, as though it were warning me to pack up my ego and leave. Drops of water landed on my exposed skin, light at first. It wasn't long before the clouds opened up and drenched all who stood beneath it.

"Are you seriously still painting in the rain?" I complained, although I wasn't entirely certain he could hear me over the sound of water smashing against the pavement. My teeth ground together in order to mask my frustration. God forbid he knew just how much he pissed me off. To top it off, the ass ignored me. I opened my mouth, ready to throw curses at the back of his head until a noise startled me.

Tick. Tick.

It wasn't the branches that made such a noise. It was the sound of something walking on the pavement behind me. In that very moment, the lights from the streetlamps flickered off.

Tick. Tick.

It was closer, then. My heart rate sped up, loudly thudding into my ear canal. This, I thought darkly to myself. This feeling is what I live for. Being on the edge of death; flirting with it, almost. I lived and breathed to feel the dangers threaten my life. Fear was my fuel. Trouble was my friend.

"Tim!" I called over the rain. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I realized he was nowhere to be seen.

The bastard abandoned me!

The familiar sensations of panic squeezed at my lungs. For someone who constantly put herself in harm's way, I could never accustom myself to the jittery feelings of impending doom that alerted me. My eyes searched for the doors to the school. Just as I heard another round of the ticking noise, I bolted forward. My feet smacked clumsily against the ground, through puddles and mud.

Something was following me. Their breathing was ragged, desperate even. It sounded like some sort of animal, right at my tail. I nearly reached the corner of the building. If I could make it there, I could pounce for my car and get the hell out of there.

The animal nipped at my ankles, causing the feeling that I craved to stir inside of me. I winced at the light pain, almost losing my footing in the process. The corner of the building was dreadfully close. I could practically feel the surface of my car under my fingertips.

Quickening my pace, I ignored the headache forming and dove for the parking lot. Just as I rounded the corner, my body crashed against another. I tumbled back onto the ground into a puddle, causing my entire body to be coated in brown.

Looking up, I saw a disgruntled expression glaring down at me.

"Ella Calloway," one of my teachers, Mr. Parker, shook his head in disapproval. Around him were a few other teachers, as well as the police.

Shit.

I smiled innocently up at them. "I can explain."

The tips of my fingers smudged the mirror, causing my image to become disoriented. My ghostly complexion was illuminated due to the awful lighting in my bathroom, but I knew it was entirely my fault. Pulling away from the sink, I nearly tumbled against the toilet in a wave of dizziness.

Grumbling curses under my breath, I opened the cabinet and ruefully yanked out the bottle of pills. Served me right for neglecting to take them for the past few days.

Despite the questionable taste, I used the tap water to down the capsule. One would think being cooped up in my room for days on end would make it easy for me to remind myself of simple tasks like taking my iron pills.

Rolling my stiff shoulders, I heard a satisfactory pop of my contracted muscles, causing me to sigh out a lungful of air. That happened to be day one of freedom after my relentless grounding, props to mother dearest.

I didn't blame her for sticking me in my bedroom like a child; she was getting tired of my act. Honestly, so was I. For some reason in which I knew she could never understand, I needed to do it. I had to. Otherwise, my savior would never come back.

"Ella! Wake up!" The shrilling voice had me moaning complaints.

Already awake, thanks.

Emitting another sigh, I glanced down at my baby blue summer dress and wondered why on Earth people would throw together a cocktail party on a Saturday morning. Being a night owl, it was safe to say I disapproved.

The moment my eyes fell on the clock on the wall, I felt my jaw slacken. It was eight in the morning. Eight. I'd been up all night without a single wink of sleep, but I'd figured the event wouldn't start until at least eleven.

"Why so early?" I shouted back, trying my best not to sound angry. Otherwise, I'd get scolded for the short temper that I was supposed to be working on. I inched towards the door, slightly disorientated from my lack of sleep.

My friend, Carter, had snuck into my room and kept me company, bless his soul. Unfortunately for me, that consisted of staying up at ungodly hours talking about how nice it would be to be anywhere besides my boring bedroom.

Suddenly, the world spun around me and my head clunked against my carpeted floor. I let out an exasperated sigh as I settled on the ground. Why did I forget to take those pills again?

I heard stomping coming towards my room.

Here we go.

My mother swung the door open so hard, I was certain the walls would give out and the house would come crashing down. "Have you forgotten already, Ella? We have to go to the mayor's house for brunch in less than an hour. It's very important. Very. Now clean up and get ready." It was a split second of pause that had me believing the wicked witch of the west did, indeed, have a tinkering heart in her chest. Before she slammed the door, she regarded me on the ground with a slight amount of pity in her eyes. After the slam, however, I wondered if I imagined the whole thing.

My head fell back down on the carpeted floor. Ugh.

After deciding I didn't want to feel the wrath of my mother when she's actually pissed, I pulled myself up to stand and quickly fixed up my hair.

The sudden gust of wind caused the ends of my dress to dance against its' force. The window always remained wide open, even in the winter. There was something about peering into the forest that was endearing to me. Maybe it was because I knew what resided in that forest. Knowing exactly what lived in there was the secret I had been holding onto for ten years.

I'd been at events held by the mayor plenty of times. Knowing their taste, I was happy with my fancy approach of apparel. Otherwise, I'd be looked down upon as if a bug showed up to their party. God forbid.

Makeup was applied lightly, with a quick swipe of my favorite cherry lip gloss and my favorite mascara/ eyeliner duo that worked wonders in hiding the bags beneath my eyes.

My mother was waiting impatiently by the front door with a black heel tapping against fake wood. She shook her head in criticism of me. "You knew when this started. I told you weeks ago. I even reminded you every day since!"

"Bad memory," I mumbled, still very dizzy, and slipped by her out of the door.

I lived in what was known as the 'Rich Kid' neighborhood. Everyone in town hated us, mostly because we could get away with anything. I didn't blame them; it was nothing but true. My little 'incident' the week before was merely brushed off by the principal after my mother's constant hounding.

Our house was probably two-thirds the size of your average mansion. It was kind of pathetic, considering only three people lived there. Sure, we had maids running around every now and then, but other than that, the house was full of deafening silence.

The driveway was concrete; a circle that eventually lead towards a straight line onto the road. Our property was gated off by tall, black, metal gates. It was a hassle whenever I wanted to sneak out.

My mother drove us in the silver Porsche.

"Be on your best behavior," she snarled at me once we pulled into the very long, very proper looking driveway; as proper as a driveway could look.

My eyes lazily scanned the flowers and perfectly cut trees that aligned with the side of the cement driveway. "Got it," I mumbled indifferently.

"I mean it, Ella. I still haven't forgotten your stunt from last week."

My brief laugh was cut short by the glare my mother shot me. "That wasn't exactly my fault."

"I don't care whose fault it was." She passed me a sideways glance. "Have you taken your pills? I don't want you collapsing again during an event. It looks poorly on the entire family."

I hadn't realized I was balling my fists until I felt my nails dig into the palms of my hands. I relaxed my hold, knowing I'd bleed all over her precious car if I were to accidentally cut through the skin. "Yep," I replied flatly. "Wouldn't want to destroy our loving image."

The driveway made a slight curve, giving us a full view of the largest house in town. The field in front of it had many fountains, pathways, and gardens. On the brick house were many vines crawling up towards the roof. Beyond the house was a dock sitting on a lake. There were boats, even a yacht, all belonging to the single family that lived there.

The mayor, his wife, and children.

They were sinfully rich. As if that wasn't enough, the mayor seemed to radiate a certain power off of him; it was intimidating to anyone who didn't know his soft side. I, thankfully, did know it since his son and I had known each other since we were little babies.

The two of us walked along with several others piling out of their vehicle. Standing outside of the house with a plastered grin was the mayor's wife, Charlotte. There was always something fake about Charlotte. I'd figured my feelings were as such after that time I accidentally eavesdropped on her talking to another woman about how much of a bitch my mom was. To her face? They were best friends. You can't fool me, Charlotte.

"Stephanie, Ella. I'm so glad you two could make it." Charlotte pecked both of my mother's cheeks, then mine.

"We wouldn't miss it for the world," my mother retorted. "Isn't that right, Ella?"

"Of course." My smile was wide for the cheerful woman in front of me. Then again, maybe I was as fake as her. Fleetingly, my eyes did a sweep of the crowd inside, all full of the same people. All people who held dearly to their own dirty little secrets.

"Come on in. We have lots of snacks set up. I hope you enjoy yourself."

"Thank you," both my mother and I said as we took a step inside the enormous house.

Inside the opened doors was something spectacular to the ignorant eye. The chandelier spread useless light to the open area and rounded staircases framed both sides. Many people were scattered about the enchanting room, all conversing with glasses of wine and plates of finger food. These kinds of events were basically an excuse for everyone to get together, gossip, and eat expensive croissants.

My eyes fell on a familiar group and I managed to slip away from my mother once she dove into a conversation with the lady she always goes to the salon with.

"Ou, the devil herself," Crystal Westwood greeted me with a devious smirk on her lips.

My hand raises to my chest. "Me? A devil? How preposterous!"

"I think 'bang on' is a better way to put it." Crystal studied me from head to toe with twinkling eyes the colour of the deep ocean. "You don't look half bad after being on house arrest for seven whole days."

I rolled my eyes dramatically. "Don't even get me started on that one."

My other friend, Linda Katherine Fitzgerald, also known as Kat, stood there with longing brown eyes across the room. I followed her gaze to Donovan Westwood and felt a smile creep on my lips. I didn't say anything in order to keep her pride intact. Like I said; everyone has a secret of their own in this little town.

"So?" I leaned in closer to them. "Where are the drinks?"

Crystal squirmed with a grin forming on her face. Her blond curls started bouncing against slender shoulders. "In my bag."

Kat folded her arms and frowned at us. "Again? How many events are you guys going to get drunk at?"

"Uh, all of them?" We both stated at once, then burst into laughter.

Kat's bottom lip curled down. "Okay, well, I'll be the sober one again."

"Awh, Kat! When are you going to join the fun?" I asked her with a teasing voice.

"Maybe when I'm of age."

"Underage drinking is the exciting part."

"Exactly. Ella knows what she's talking about." Crystal pitched in.

"Ella, who just almost got kicked out of school?" Kat's voice lowered to a whisper. "That Ella?"

I nodded with a devious smirk. "The one and only."

An arm snuck around my waist, drawing me closer to a body. "Well, look what we have here; trouble." Carter's deep voice caught all of our attentions, although he was mostly focused on me. "You feeling better?"

Out of everyone, Carter always came close to figuring me out. Despite what he wanted everyone to believe, he was an observer. With keen eyes, he saw things not everyone could see. That included the façade I put on for everyone else; that I was completely okay.

Smiling, I playfully nudged his rib. "Couldn't be better," I said with a nod. "I was just feeling a little sick is all. No need to worry so much."

His eyes were always the most interesting thing about him. Forest green surrounded by flecks of sparkling gold. Those eyes had the ability to convince any lady they were in love. Except me, being blissfully placed into the friend zone.

Carter nodded, using his record-breaking charming smile. I could see it in his eyes, though; how he worried. "Alright. We'll be out by the dock."

"Bring hot boys!" Crystal chirped.

I flashed him a thumbs up before he lost himself in the crowd. On his way, he greeted many people with the smile he used for his glory. Carter was many things but, most of all, he was a people's person.

"Some random chick came up to me asking if I could hook her up with Carter," Crystal complained with a pout to her lips. "Do I look like a wing girl?"

Unable to stop myself, I laughed at her reaction to the story. Being friends with Carter Davenport had its perks and, with those perks, were many cons. Some of them being the longing most girls in our school felt for him and, more often than not, came to us three for advice.

"I swear, I'm one girl away from castrating him," she growled. Shaking her head, her frown turned into a chirpy grin. "Come on, girlies. Let's go have some fun!" She grabbed both of our wrists and led us out the glass doors near the back.

The scatter of people in the back spread farther across the well trimmed grass. Instead of paying mind to any of them, Crystal pulled the both of us down toward a small dirt pathway that led to the dock. When the first glimpse of water came into view, she took off ahead of us.

"So..." I started with a playful smirk. "Still pining over Donovan, aren't you?"

Eyes wide and cheeks red, Kat couldn't have looked any more embarrassed if she tried. "H-how did you know?"

I began skipping beside her as I sang my reply. "I know everything."

Kat's frown deepened and she let out an exaggerated sigh. "Don't tell Crystal."

"Okay. Keep in mind, the moment he suspects something, she'll know. They have that weird twin telepathy thing."

Her groan caused me to laugh. "I know. It's annoying."

We both turned our attention to the splashing from up ahead. Crystal had stripped off her clothes, only to her bra and underwear, and dove headfirst into the lake.

"Want to join?" I asked Kat, although I already knew her answer.

She held up her book with a sheepish grin. "I'll just read."

"Suit yourself." I started sprinting towards the dock, stripping on my way there. By the time I made it on the shaking wood, I was only in the black lace bra and matching underwear that I recently bought.

I was quick to be welcomed by the lake's water. Once I made it to the top, I noticed that my body was facing the other direction opposite the mansion.

Directly in the middle of the lake was the borderline of the town. Unless in a car, we were always told not to cross that border, no matter where we were.

It was the number one rule.

Yet, it only looked like a peaceful forest from where I floated. I had a feeling the beast I met long ago lived in that forest. Or used to. I hadn't seen him since I was fifteen; two years ago. That was exactly why I acted so recklessly. All along, I just wanted him to come back to me. I wanted him to be my savior again.

I'll do anything to get you back, Jackson.

A splash of water broke me from my trance. I turned around to see Crystal excitingly starting a splashing war. I shot one back at her and soon it turned into a full out battle.

We swam until we noticed two boys heading down to join us, armfuls of alcohol. A smirk played on my lips once I saw Donovan plop down beside Kat. It was too obvious she had a thing for him; it was written all over her face.

"Party time!" Crystal squeaked as we began swimming towards the beach area where the others were.

Carter was there to greet us. He waved a certain bottle in his hand. "I found some whiskey from 1920."

My hands grabbed the bottle for proof. "Mm. Tasty."

Crystal's eyes scanned the area, then fell back on Carter with a pout. "You said you'd bring your hot friends."

"Aren't I enough?"

She laughed at him, thinking he was joking. "Whatever, Carter." She started running over to the other two and tackled her twin to the ground.

Carter's lip curled down in a frown. "I wasn't kidding."

I lightly tapped his shoulder with my hand. "I know, Carter."

Our little get-together lasted all of that day and into the night; mostly because we didn't want to go back into the house of high-class minglers.

There was a fire pit snuggled into the sand that we often used. Crystal was the one to light it up; apparently, she went through vigorous Girl Scout training at a younger age. Carter got us blankets, which we wrapped ourselves up in.

I was using the same blanket as Carter and snuggled up against his bare chest. Even when we were too young to walk, we were found attached to the hip. Carter knew when to stick around and when to leave me alone. He was the only one who understood me. Well, I liked to think he understood me.

Donovan and Kat were sitting close, although barely touching. I'd wished one of them would grow a damn backbone and go for it. Crystal, on the other hand, was sprawled on the ground with her eyes on the fire.

"We're always going to be best friends, aren't we?" She gurgled out.

"Why wouldn't we be?" I asked her with a grin.

Her blue eyes, sparkling from the fire's interesting glow, flickered over to meet mine. Lazily, her lips curled up into a knowing smile. "You're right. We'll be best friends forever and ever."

"Crystal, do you want me to get you some water?" Kat asked nervously.

"Don't worry about her," Carter insisted. "She's fine."

"Yep!" Crystal squeaked. "I'm so fine."

The sound of a wolf's howl disturbed the quiet night. The moon was shining brightly down on us, brighter than I had ever seen it before. Just as the sound echoed around us, everyone's attention was on the forest across the border.

Carter's body instantly tensed from the noise. He pulled himself up to stand with me alongside him. The blanket dangled limply between us until I snatched it and wrapped it around my shoulders.

"Let's move this little party inside, shall we?"

"Is someone afraid of a little wolf?" I teased him.

His laugh sounded darker than I was expecting. "Not a chance. Come on, guys."

I spared one last look at the forest. It was full of so many secrets, some of which I was never supposed to know. The information was only a blip of the full truth. I had made it my first priority to find out what my town was hiding.

That very moment was Carter Davenport's first mistake. He knew something, just like I knew something.

I was curious. Dangerously curious. Enough to be pegged as the cat that would eventually die due to the untamable inquisitiveness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

631K 18.1K 26
"I could never hate you," I blurt out. Her head snaps up, and I see the hope twinkling in her eyes, which made it harder to say, "But it's just my wo...
144K 4K 21
(This is a sequel to Red Eyes (Teen Wolf/Derek Hale) Please read that before you read this. Thankyou.) ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++...
1.1M 9.3K 10
Hayley's on the run from a stalker who's determined to make her pay. When she saves the life of the local Alpha, exposing her new location in the pro...
123K 5.2K 44
"He can die 'cause we haven't had sex?" I say as the weight of what she's just told me hits me like a ton of bricks. "The longer the Alpha stays in t...