LOVE IS IN THE HEIR (COMPLETE)

By MariaCooney

Chosen by @TheRoyalsOnE TV Show and featured by @Wattpad to celebrate the birth of Prince George and Princes... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Epilogue

Chapter 3

152K 2.2K 200
By MariaCooney

"Victoria," Edward whispered rousing me from my sleep.

"Mmm," I said still tired and barely able to open my eyes.

"I know I promised that you wouldn't wake up to find me staring at you but it is gone midday and I wanted to take you to lunch and shopping," he whispered. "Open your eyes tired girl."

"Just five minutes more," I mumbled.

"Nooo," he whined. "Get up," he said and gave me a gentle shake.

I ignored him.

"I didn't want to have to do this but you have forced my hand," he said with amusement in his voice. I heard the cabin door creek open, as he whistled I heard the scampering of paws and braced myself. Three slobbering dogs dove all over me and there was no way to sleep with all that licking.

"Get off... down... sit... heel," I said as I tried to push them off but it was no use I was covered in drool, hair and a few paw scratches. Not to mention the stamping and squashing from them all jostling for position.

Edward whistled calling them off as I lay face down on the bed trying to protect myself.

"That was evil!" I yelled into the pillow.

He didn't answer. Instead I heard the shower start and felt the thud of a towel hit my head.

I refused to move but the call of the shower after a 'slob-athon' and doggie drool was too much so I finally gave in and took a shower. It wasn't the best shower in the world as it wasn't very powerful but it did the job. Only after I washed my hair and rubbed it with a towel did I realise I hadn't brought a hair brush with me. Luckily I had a comb in my purse but it would take a while to work these knots out of my hair. I needed a hair bobble or something to tie my hair up before we went shopping and I could buy one. I remembered a bunch of asparagus on the side in the kitchen yesterday that had elastic bands on. I would have to use them. I put my hair in plaits. As I walked out dress in the same clothes as yesterday Edward cheered.

"You're up," he said teasing.

"Don't worry I will get you back," I said with a scowl.

"It was 14:30p.m. I am starving and you were wasting this beautiful day in bed," he said looking up at the sky.

"14:30?" I asked astonished.

"Yes and now it is gone 15:00p.m," he said sighing.

"Sorry, I've never slept that late," I replied.

"You did yesterday," he reminded me. "Never mind lets go get something to eat before my stomach eats itself."

"Where are the others?" I asked.

"They didn't want to wait so have gone ahead. We will meet them back here later," he said helping me off the boat.

A chap on another boat nodded at him as though promising to watch the boat whilst we were away. I thought that was lovely offer and sense of community. As we walked ahead I looked up at the sun filled sky and smiled. This was a wonderful experience and as I hadn't had a day off work in years I was going to make the best of it.

"I thought we could take a walk along this pathway as it takes us to a farm with a coffee shop. We could get breakfast. Unless you want to avoid coffee shops during your holiday," he said making me smile at the word holiday.

"No that sounds lovely thank you," I replied and took his hand as he helped me over a fence to cross a field. "Should we be in this field? What if there is a bull?" I asked slightly worried as I didn't like the look of it.

"No bull just cows so watch where you are walking," he said nodding towards a few huge cow pats and laughed as I grimaced.

"I didn't bring the right footwear for this," I said and as we progressed across the field I was proven right as my slip on pump got stuck in some mud.

"Get on my back and I'll carry you," he said as he helped pull my foot out of the mud and my pump.

"I'm too heavy," I replied as I hadn't had a backy since I was a child and my father carried me around.

"Are you calling me a weakling?" he asked taking it as a challenge.

"Fine but if you end up face down you better hope it is in mud and not in those," I said pointing at the cow pats.

"I am sure we will be fine," he said and pretended to stumble under my weight as he helped me up onto his back.

I was laughing like a little girl as he carried me towards the next fence. I attempted to tickle him as we came very close to cow poo.

"You will go in first," he warned.

I was still laughing as we got to the fence and I climbed off on to it. One mud covered pump, which had been scraped off with a stick was placed back on my foot by Edward.

"I feel like Cinderella," I teased.

He laughed. "That is a far cry from a glass slipper," he replied.

"I've never suited glass," I replied making him laugh again. I liked that we amused each other. New friendship is hard to find these days especially living in a village.

We made our way to the farm shop. I nearly ran on ahead as I saw it and spotted babies in prams outside. I was excited to see what they served and to taste it and see what I could buy or even get new ideas for my own shop. Above all excited to see how cute the babies were.

"Hurry," I said deciding to run as he stopped to watch me and laughed at my enthusiasm. I ran back to him pulling his hand forward. "Quick, they have babies!" I squealed and tugged on his hand.

"You can't buy the babies," he teased.

"I just want to look at them," I said as we moved forward. I could see hear the babies making noises. My heart swelled.

Edward showed me where to leave our muddy shoes as we walked into the cafe past the babies. I stopped to coochie coo a few whilst the mothers gave Edward the once over. Obviously he was very handsome but I was far more interested in the babies. Finally he dragged me away and brought us a cream tea. The scones were huge and the clotted cream was fresh from the farm as was the strawberry jam. Heaven!

"You are very fond of babies," he said as we ate our food.

"Obsessed," I replied.

"I was being polite," he said with a grin.

"They are little miracles and I don't see the point in hiding my love for new humans," I said making him chuckle.

"New humans," he said bemused. "I've never heard that before," he said turning to look at them through my eyes.

"They are each a result of love or a lustful one night stand but mainly babies are made from love. Even if it is fleeting or ends in divorce. Babies are still the cement of relationships and the human race as a whole. We were all babies once, each one of us a miracle, born into this world to live a life as best we can. We were loved by strangers for just being that cute bundle of joy. Full of innocence, not a threat and when a baby is in the room all eyes turn to them in adulation. We are inheritably born to protect our young even if they are not our own child," I gasped as another new baby arrived. A newborn!

"I think maybe you should use your extension on your shop as a crèche with a play area. You would get more babies and mothers coming to visit," he said and my jaw dropped. "It's only an idea," he said as he took in my expression.

"Why hadn't I thought of that?" I said astonished and in awe of his genius. "Where is my phone?" I said scrambling about in my bag. I rang the shop waiting for the foreman to pick up the phone.

"Hello," a voice answered.

"Vince? It's Victoria," I said excited. "You know I said the shop plan was missing something and I couldn't put my finger on it well Edward just cracked it!" I rambled excited. "A crèche so I can cater for families. Isn't he a genius? I love him," I said leaning over to peck his cheek in excitement. "Whereabouts should the play area be? Erm..." I looked at Edward for help.

"You can ring him back with the plans," Edward whispered.

"We will ring you back with the plans," I repeated and ended the call.

Rummaging in my bag for the A4 copy of the floor plans I had kept from a meeting.

"You want to do it now?" Edward asked surprised.

"Yes of course," I replied searching for a pen.

"I thought you were having a break," he added.

"I need to do the plans and then I will have a break," I said flicking through the pages to find the section I needed and started scribbling ideas on the back of the page.

"We were supposed to be going shopping," he said an hour later as I still sat scribbling down ideas and trying to make my sketch fit.

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise the time," I said with an apologetic look.

He didn't look in a very good mood at all. I had spoilt our day out with my ability to ignore everyone and fixate on one thing.

"I'm really sorry," I said reaching out to place my hand on top of his. He pulled his away and hid it under the table. "It's a trait I've inherited from my father, the ability to fixate on something and my mothers over enthusiasm and impatience," I explained.

"Come on lets take you home," he said getting up to leave before he stood waiting to move my chair out for me.

"Edward," I said disappointed in him. "You are taking me home for drawing on some paper after you gave me the idea. I don't think that is very nice," I said and got teary. "I can easily take a picture of my plan and send it by my phone to Vince. I don't have to go home."

"I meant back to the boat not your shop," he said crouching down in front of me and wiping away a tear with his thumb.

"Oh," I said feeling like an idiot.

"Come on we will be late and it's your turn to steer," he said pulling me up to my feet.

"I need to buy the others some cake," I said thinking about Piers and Gerard would surely be feeling better today.

"I've already done it whilst you were working," he said nodding at a bag full of food.

"Sorry," I said realising that I had been totally engrossed.

We walked outside to find our shoes gone. I looked at him in shock. He nodded to the carrier bag beside two pairs of wellington boots.

"Whilst I was working?" I asked him with an apologetic look.

He nodded.

"I assume the cute floral ones are mine," I teased.

"They didn't have them in my size," he joked and slipped his blue navy ones on.

"Oh god I don't want to get them dirty," I said looking at how funky my new wellies looked.

He smiled as we walked towards the field before kicking a puddle at me.

"Ohhh you..." I splashed him back and war broke out until the puddle was nearly empty and we were both drenched.

I bent down to wipe some mud off my wellies but naughtily picked up some mud and threw it at him. Splat! Right on his chest, which splashed mud on his face.

"Shit!"

I ran as fast as I could with a bag of shoes in one hand and heart full of panic. He gave chase but I stumbled due to my new wellies and fell to the ground with a thud half rolling down the hill.

He was laughing so hard he was doubled over but I didn't as I had hurt myself. I had winded myself but it made me panic. When he realised he came to my aid.

"Careful just take a few deep breaths," he said. "You're ok," he said as I tried to catch my breath.

I could taste blood in my mouth. I put my hand up and touched it, there was blood.

Edward sucked his breath through his teeth. "Oh dear, looks like you've bit your tongue," he said as I felt stupid and clumsy. "I don't have anything to put on it. Let's get back to the boat and see what we can do," he said helping me to my feet.

He took all the bags and walked beside me slowly as we made our way back.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

I nodded. I was embarrassed but otherwise ok. He helped me over the fence and the walk across the field was no problem. When we approached the other fence Piers appeared and helped me over. Looking at my mouth the minute I was over it. He placed an arm around my shoulder and walked me back to the boat where Gerard helped me aboard.

Where as Piers was tanned mid 40's, greying at the sides, tall and lean built. Gerard was a wall of a man. He was above tall, built like the hulk and black as the night. My hand in his was like a child's. I felt the size of a six year old compared to him. He lifted me up at least a foot in the air as Piers pulled off my wellies and helped me below.

"What happened?" Piers asked as he pulled out a medical box.

"I discovered running in wellies is dangerous," I said as I rinsed my mouth out with water.

"Did you just bite your tongue?" he asked looking at my muddy hands.

"Winded myself and my hip hurts," I said as I realised it was in fact very sore.

"Let me see," he said.

"It's ok, I'll just grab a shower," I replied as Edward put the shopping bags on the side and was slobbered over by the dogs.

I walked down towards my room and undressed feeling like a total moron not only for falling but now I realised my clothes were filthy and I had nothing to change into.

"Edward," I called wrapped in a towel.

"He's in the shower," Piers answered.

"I don't know how to turn the shower on and I've not got any clean clothes can I borrow some of his?" I asked.

He passed me a plastic bag off the side. It was from the farm.

"Edward," I said and beamed at his thoughtfulness.

"I'll turn the shower on," he said so I waited in the kitchen as he sorted it out.

One of the dogs had followed me everywhere since I got on board. Whimpering and licking my knee which had a graze on it.

"There you go," Piers said coming out of the bathroom.

"Thank you," I replied and entered it followed by the dog who lay by the shower and settled down. There was no chance of moving it. I shook my head and got in the shower. My hip stung, I had a graze on my shoulder and knee from sliding during my fall. What a moron!

I got out of the shower and detangled my hair again, scraping it into a bun for the night. In the bag of clothes I was relieved to find underwear and it was the right size. Obviously the farm shop catered to the 'yummy mummys' who came with their children. There was a white vest, a pink hooded top and some black leggings which were stretchy. He did a wonderful job for a farm shop. I felt like I should be riding horse but it was very comfortable.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked as I walked out of my room to find Gerard in the kitchen area.

"Yes, thank you and you?" he asked his voice heavy with an accent.

"My pride is a bit battered but other than that I am fine," I said with a grin. "Where is Edward?" I asked.

"Taking a call," he said nodding down the hall. "I heard you like babies," he said.

"Love them!" I said.

"I have a son," he said taking out his phone to show me a picture.

"Oooo let me see," I said excited and to my surprise it wasn't a photo it was video. I was engrossed as I watched the cutest little boy being licked by a dog and laughing hysterically. It was brilliant. "How old is he?" I asked.

"He is nearly 7 months," he replied.

"What is his name?" I asked reaching over to press it again.

"Theodore," he said proudly. "Named after my father."

"That is lovely," I said giggling at the video. "Do you have any more?" I asked enthusiastically.

"I don't want to bore you," he said reluctant to share.

"I am obsessed with babies there is no way on this earth you could bore me," I replied.

He sat going through pictures and video of his family. I loved it all and bombarded him with questions. Showed him pictures on my phone of Tony's baby and daughters who were the closet I was getting to a baby before he was called up on deck to help Piers with the locks.

"Apologies I didn't mean to get held up so long," Edward said as he returned to the kitchen and smiled at my clothes. "It suits you," he said and nodded approvingly.

"Thank you. I didn't find the receipt in the bag so I don't know how much I owe you for these and the wellies but I love them," I said.

"They were a gift," he replied but his tone seemed offended at my offer of money.

"Oh sorry I didn't realise. In that case I will hug you and say a huge thank you," I said and did just that. He didn't hug back. "You are supposed to hug back," I said as I pulled away.

"You fell over. I didn't want to cause you pain by squeezing you," he replied.

"Yeah few scrapes nothing life threatening," I said.

"Can I see?" he asked.

"Just a graze on my knee, shoulder and hip," I said blasé.

"I'd like to see for myself," he said. "Plus you hurt your mouth."

He put his hand out to check and I opened my mouth automatically. He tutted sympathetically at my poorly tongue before he moved his hands to push my top off my head, leaving me in a white vest top and bra. I looked at my grazed shoulder as he gently pulled the vest top up at the side to see my graze and lifted it a bit to see the bruised hip.

"That looks sore," he said.

I nodded as I was trying not to blush or become breathless at his touch.

"Are you ok?" he asked as he took in my expression.

"Yeah just a bit sore and well you are practically undressing me so I am a bit flushed," I admitted.

"Oh sorry," he said laughing as he realised. "I better skip the part where I kiss them all better then."

I giggled, "Definitely. I may well faint," I joked.

"It's been known to happen," he joked back.

I laughed even louder.

"Watch I will prove it," he said leaning in to pretend to kiss my shoulder better.

"I'd rather you didn't. I've fallen over enough today thank you," I said making him laugh.

"Come on, we should nearly be there by now. Time for you to steer and do some locks," he said pulling me up on deck by the hand.

"Are we there yet?" I asked Piers like a child.

He chuckled and shook his head. "Two more locks," he said.

I cheered. "I have no idea where we are going but I'm excited," I said.

They all laughed.

"It is a pub which makes fantastic food," Piers added.

"Pie and mash?" I asked.

"Yes but the pies are a little different," he said smiling.

"If it has mole in it I will have the salad," I replied pulling a face.

"The salad is not the usual salad," he added.

"Oh god not one of those horrid ones filled with little fish or a baby squid," I said feeling slightly nauseous at the thought.

"Are you sure taking her here is the right move?" Piers asked Edward sarcastically.

"She will love it," Edward said confidently.

"If all else fails I can always order a ploughmans," I teased.

"You will not!" Edward warned.

"I have a bad hip because of you so I can do what I want whilst I am in recovery," I joked.

"What! It was not my fault you fell. You threw mud in my face and ran down a hill in wellies," he said burst out laughing. The others joined in.

"I threw mud at you because you spent the last three minutes kicking a muddy puddle all over me because you were excited to have new wellies," I countered.

"I kicked a puddle at you because you worked through our brunch," he said.

"That's not very romantic," Piers said.

"Tell me about it," Edward said before hopping off the boat to open a lock.

I was gobsmacked. I didn't know I was supposed to be romantic. I thought we were just friends. I immediately felt uncomfortable and even more guilty about working through our breakfast or as he called it Brunch.

"You look pale," Piers whispered as the other two were out of ear shot and opening a lock to let the boat through.

"I just didn't realise..." I stopped as I didn't know how to put it.

"That Edward had romantic intentions towards you," he said making me feel even worse.

I took a deep breath and blew it out as I tried to steady my heartbeat.

"He doesn't we were winding you up. He does however consider you a friend and enjoys your company," he said but I had a feeling he was backtracking as he noted my reaction. "You don't believe me," he said reading my expression.

I shrugged.

"He is not free to date," he said looking towards Edward as they closed the lock we had just steered through and made their way back to the boat.

Edward had a girlfriend, fiancée or wife. I had never thought to ask. I looked at his hand as they climbed back on the boat, no wedding ring.

"Are you ok?" Edward asked as he looked at me. I nodded forcing a smile. "You look worried," he said reading my expression.

"I'm just thinking about this Sweeny Todd pie place you are taking me too," I lied and as though to help rescue me Piers put his arm out and pulled me in front of him to steer through the next lock.

I was happy to have my mind taken off things and listened to his instruction on how to steer. When we got to the lock Edward pulled my hand.

"Come on it's your turn to do the lock," he said pulling me to the gate so I could wind the gate open and let the water in and out. "Keep turning," he said watching me. "Push," he said as we pushed the gate open and Piers steered through. "Close it," he said and I did the opposite to before.

"I did it!" I cheered feeling a sense of victory and also hoping to expel some of my nervous energy.

"Well done," they all said and clapped as I took a theatrical bow but then remembered my hip.

"You should have curtsied instead," Edward teased.

"I've never curtsied in my life. I don't even think I know how," I replied.

Piers and Gerard found it hilarious.

"I think it's like this," I said and attempted one.

All three were in fits of laughter and Edward was laughing so hard he was nearly crying.

"Sure you all know how to bow, that's not hard but I'm hardly about to meet a royal so what's the point in knowing how you are supposed to greet them," I said shrugging.

"What do actually know about royalty?" Gerard asked.

"Some old dear has her picture on money and stamps and lives in a castle," I replied.

They were all in fits of giggles again.

"The English Monarch lives in a palace not a castle," Piers replied finding me highly amusing.

"Palace, castle same difference," I said. "I'm sure I've read she prefers Windsor Castle. Bet it is freezing in there."

"What about other royals?" he asked.

"I don't know. I've never been a royalist. I not anti royal just not paid any attention. The King and Queen have some kids who also got married and divorced," I said. "Oh and the grandchildren some of them are married too," I added as they all smiled.

"What about other royal families?" Piers asked.

"Huh?" I replied confused.

"In the world... the other royals in the world," he elaborated.

"If you mean like sheikhs and African princes I haven't got a clue," I replied. "Oh wait I know one... erm... shit... I forgot the name... an actress married a king I think my mum used to have a book on it."

"Grace Kelly," Piers announced.

"Yes that is it. How I forgot that when I named after her is beyond me. It is you lot pressurising me to remember stuff that is irrelevant to my everyday life," I said.

"You were named after Princess Grace?" Edward asked.

"Yes. Victoria after the Queen as my dad was a total royalist and a military man. I prefer to think of myself as named after a sponge cake," I said with a grin. "And Grace after Grace Kelly in High Society as my parents loved that film."

They all stared at me.

"Ok I don't know a lot about Royals but they don't know a lot about me either so we are even!" I said. "Now where is this pub as I need to fill my mouth with weird food so I can stop sounding uneducated?"

"It's just up that hill," Gerard said.

"Oh great another hill for me to fall down. Let me wash my wellies," I said going in search of them.

"They are in your room," Piers called after me.

"Ok thank you," I replied but when I found them they were clean. I pulled them on and ventured outside. "Did you clean my wellies?" I asked Piers. He nodded. I popped up on my toes and kissed his cheeky. "You are a star!" I said smiling at him.

Wesecured the boat and fed the dogs before leaving for the pub. Edward refused tolet me bring my purse saying he was treating me. As we walked up the hill myhip began to rub on my leggings so I stopped to adjust the waist band to situnder it. Gerard swung me up into his arms and carried me to the pub like abride saying he was too hungry to wait on me anymore and as he was the strongesthe should be the hero. I had laughed but begged to be put down before the pubso I didn't look a fool.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 69.5K 69
"What do you even need me for?" She asked , speaking into the darkness where she thought he was. "I do not need you." He answered her darkly. Even th...
46.3K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
A Lover's Triumph By Joy

Historical Fiction

4.2K 145 16
Prince Charles of England attends a state dinner hosted by his mother and father, Queen Elizabeth II of England, and Prince Philip of Edinburgh. Duri...
1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...