The Game

By Chlobuggy

When Jenna was six, her mom dropped her off every morning to be babysat by a friend; a friend with two boys... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Five

33.4K 471 161
By Chlobuggy

A/N: Okay! So the epilogue should be coming in just a little bit. I want y'all to know - THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER BEFORE THE EPILOGUE. That's right, The Game is coming to a close, which is sad, BUT, then I get to start work on the sequel!! Which is great news!!

Anyway, here goes!

_______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Twenty-Five

Jenna was in recovery for what seemed like days. In reality, it had only been seven hours. To me, that was fourteen hours, including surgery time, that I had been away from her. I hadn’t been able to fall asleep in the waiting room like everyone else had. How can they sleep when they know she’s in there? How can they sleep when they know their daughter, their friend will probably never wake up? I was sick with worry over the only girl in my life that I could actually say I loved. 

I walked down the hallways of the hospital, scanning for the doctor that prayed with me. I had some questions for her. “Sir, visiting hours aren’t until eight,” someone said from behind me. I turned around to see the same doctor that performed surgery on my girl. 

“Dr. Burns.”

“You were the young man with the Bouanchaud case. You should get some sleep.” He looked like he pitied me. 

“I just need to speak with one of the doctors on the case. She was short, blonde, small.” I wracked my brain, trying to remember what color she was wearing, but couldn’t remember. “She’s a Christian.”

When I said that she was a Christian, the doctor’s face lit up. “That was Dr. Barley. She’s in the on call room. Do you need her?”

I nodded. “I just have a couple of questions for her.”

“I’m sure I can answer those questions for you.” He folded his arms and leaned back, looking down at me like he was better than me. 

“These are God questions. I don’t think you’re going to be able to answer them.” He hardly seemed like the Christian type.

“I’m a Christian.”

“Right, and I’m Obama. May I please speak with her?”

Dr. Burns tipped his chin up even more. “Yes. Just go back and wait for her in the waiting room.” 

“Thank you, sir.”

I followed his orders and slowly made my way back to the waiting rooms. Nobody had moved since my departure, which wasn’t exactly a surprise. I paced back and forth outside of the room, looking down the hallway, waiting for Dr. Barley. Fifteen minutes later, I saw her walking towards me. She covered her face with her elbow as she yawned.

She didn’t smile at me when she stopped in front of me. “Dr. Burns said that you requested me specifically?”

I nodded. “You’re the one that prayed with me. You’re a Christian.”

“Yes.”

“You said that you believed God would heal her. Then you said that she’d probably never wake up.”

“Yes. Do you remember what else I said? I said that it could be days, months or years until she wakes up, but she will.”

“What about amnesia?”

“Doubtful. When she wakes up, she may not remember how she got here or what happened a few hours before, but that’s normal.”

“So she’ll remember me? She’ll remember us? And she won’t remember how pigheaded I was?”

She arched her eyebrows. “Is this all?”

I shook my head. “How can you believe in God and work in a hospital? People die every day. People pray for their loved ones every day and they still die. How-”

“How do I not have the God complex? How can I still believe in a God that allows bad things to happen to good people?” She smiled. “How can I not believe in God? As a doctor, I know how the body works and how amazing and intricate the body is. There’s got to be a creator. As far as the bad things to good people thing, I can’t explain that. Everything happens for a reason, you just have to find the good in it. Little Sally’s grandma dies, and she’s heartbroken. Sally didn’t know that her grandma has been in pain for years, so death was a relief. Billy’s cousin died; he was eighteen. Maybe his cousin was saved from a hard life. We don’t know God’s plan. You just have to trust that He knows what he’s doing.”

I stared down at the floors.

“That wasn’t quite the answer you were looking for was it?”

I shook my head.

“It’s not always black and white. You just have to trust.”

I’m not sure when the doctor left and I’m not sure how I wound up on the floor. The next thing I knew, Sarah was poking my forehead. I blinked my eyes open and cringed from the bright fluorescent light. 

“What are you doing out here?” She asked.

“Sleeping.”

“Yeah, but why not in there?” She nodded where everyone else was still asleep. 

I stared flatly at her. 

“Do you want to see her? They just moved her to her the critical care unit. Two visitors at a time.” She looked worried.

I jumped up, fully awake. “Let’s go.”

I followed after her, filling her in on the few updates that we had been given since Jenna came out of surgery.

“I’ve been so worried. Liam said that it didn’t look good. Did Jenna ever tell you that we were constantly in touch?”

“She mentioned it once, I think.”

She nodded. “She’s been really upset over the last few days. And now…” She stopped and wrapped her arms around herself. She was trembling when I touched her and her face was wet with tears. I wrapped my arms around her, feeling awkward hugging my brother’s girlfriend. She leaned against me and buried her head in my chest. “You never think that this is going to happen to you or someone close to you, and then it does. It does and you don’t know how to react. You want to be positive and think that she’ll wake up, but everything else points against that. The odds aren’t high, and although I try to not think about the odds, I can’t help it.”  She pulled away from me and wiped her eyes. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.”

“Come on, let’s go.” I began walking towards the CCU. We were pointed towards Jenna’s room. Before we went in, I stopped her. “She doesn’t look good, so prepare yourself.”

She nodded and pushed the door open. Sarah ran to her bedside while I looked at all of the monitors. Her heartbeat was steady and slow. That was the only monitor I knew anything about. I stepped out of the room to give Sarah a moment alone with her friend. My phone vibrated in my pocket, startling me.

“Hello?” I whispered into the speaker.

“Where are you? You didn’t come and get me this morning. I didn’t get a call saying otherwise. You’re not at scho-” Vanessa was hissing.

“Jenna’s in a coma, Vanessa. I’ve been at the hospital all night. I’m sorry I forgot to call. My girl is.. is probably not going to wake up.”

“Oh, Jason. I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“It’s fine.”

“Is there anything I can do?”

“No.”

“Oh, okay. Well, I’ll see you later then.”

“I don’t think so, Vanessa. I’ll be here for as long as I can.”

“I… I understand. Do you mind if I come by the hospital? I would really like to see how you’re doing and-” She sounded sincere, but the thought of her seeing Jenna like this made me sick.

“No. No I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” We were arguing about you, kind of. Perhaps it was selfish of me, to only want my Angel for myself.

Vanessa didn’t say anything for a long while, and as I was telling her that I needed to let her go, Vanessa began to speak again. “You know, you’re the only guy that doesn’t look at me like I’m trash. You’re the only one that doesn’t just want me for one thing, so I appreciate that.”

“It’s your decision about how people perceive you.”

“I’m confused.”

“You act like a slut, people treat you like one. You act like a good girl, and that’s how people view you. It’s your decision.”

Sarah came out of the room then and smiled at me. “I’m going to go get the others. I’m sure that they’ll want to talk to her.” She wiped her eyes and meandered down the hallway, holding on to the wall for support.

“You’re right.”

“I’ll talk to you later.”

“Yeah.”

She hung up the phone, giving me the chance to go talk to Jenna again. I went through the door, half expecting to see her sitting up and smiling. Unfortunately, she was still lying there, still as stone, with other machines breathing for her. 

I pulled up a chair and sat down beside her. Taking her hand in my hands, I kissed her softly. “Angel,” I said, smiling. “You’d be so proud of me. I’ve had another deep moment. That’s two in a twenty-four hour period. I really wish that you and Vanessa were on better terms. She’s really not that bad. She’s not you, of course, but she’s not half bad.” I paused, almost feeling silly for a girl that can’t hear me; can’t talk. 

“Someone told me that when people are in a coma, they can still hear the people talking around them. I don’t care if you don’t remember or hear anything that I’m saying except for one thing. I just want you to know that I love you. I’m going to tell you that every day until you wake up, to make sure that you know. Angel, I’m a mess right now. The last time I cried was when my dad died. You know, you’re the first girl I’ve ever cried over. 

“I’m still sorry for being so pigheaded. So many people are here to see you… Look, you’ve gotta wake up. You’re story isn’t over. You’ve still got seventy, eighty more years left. You can’t stop now. You can’t give up now. You can’t leave me. You can’t leave your family. You have to wake up.”

I stood up, still grasping her hand and stared hard at her face, willing her to open her eyes. “Wake up. Wake up! WAKE UP!” She didn’t stir. Her heart rate didn’t pick up at all. She just laid there. I broke down again, and laid my head down on her stomach. Her chest rose and fell at a slow, steady pace. There was a knock at the door and Dr. Burns walked in.

“I figured I’d see you here.” He smiled at me. “Her progress is much the same as it was the last time I checked.”

I nodded and turned my eyes back to Jenna’s face.

“The bruises will heal over time, as will the broken ribs. We set her arm last night. If she wakes up, she’ll be as good as new.”

“How much of a chance does she have?”

“She still has brain function; it’s just a little bit, but it’s there. She could very well make a full recovery.”

“What are the chances?”

The doctor sighed. “Unfortunately, I can’t tell you that because I just don’t know. The brain is a funny thing. It works in ways that doctors just don’t understand.”

“Dr. Barley thinks it’s God.”

“Dr. Barely is a smart woman.”

I nodded. “Aren’t you only supposed to tell the family this kind of thing?”

He shrugged. “You’re pretty much part of her family, aren’t you?” 

I nodded.

“That’s what I thought. Any idea where I can find her family?”

“Waiting room for the ICU.”

He nodded and left the room. 

“Did you hear that Angel? You could make a full recovery. You might be able to walk out of here like nothing ever happened.” I wiped my eyes and forced myself to stop crying. “But you have to wake up. You have to wake up.”

I don’t know how long I stayed in there before other people came in. Soon enough, her family arrived. I gave them the space they deserved, but made sure that I got a turn between every group that went in to see her. 

My mom sat down next to me and laid her head against my shoulder. My poor mom had about lost it. First her husband, and then her daughter by proxy had been lost in a car accident. Both caused by me. “Go home,” she told me. “Get some rest. Let Jenna’s family spend time with her. Let her friends see her. Go home. Go to sleep. You look like you could use some.”

I shook my head. “I’m not leaving her.”

“I’m not asking you to leave her. I’m telling you to take care of yourself.”

“What if she wakes up while I’m gone? What if she wakes up and I’m not here?”

“Then we’ll call you, and you’ll get here and you’ll get to see her. You’re not her husband, Jason. You need to let her parents see her. You need to give them time with her. I understand how much you care for her, but you have to give them space.”

“But I-”

“Jason, go home.”

I knew not to argue with her, but I kept going anyway. “But mom-”

“Jason. Do not make me tell you again to go and get some sleep.”

“I got a speeding ticket last night.”

She whipped her head around to look at me.”

“For how much?” Her eyes narrowed.

“305.”

“Dollars?” Her eyes widened and I really thought she was going to hit me. “How fast were you going?”

“Fast.”

“Jason.”

“I was going 160 in a seventy mile an hour zone.”

That’s when she hit me. “You could have been killed!” She snapped. “Look where we’re at! Jenna was going to the speed limit and look what happened! Jason,” she groaned. “When you drive, you put everyone around you at risk-”

I sighed, hearing the same speech the officer had given me. “I know, the policeman basically yelled at me for you. I’m going to pay the fine,” I said, taking the officer’s advice.

“Well if you thought I was going to pay for it, you’re out of your mind.” She looked exhausted and like she didn’t have the energy for anything else. 

“I’m going home. I’ll be back tonight.”

I didn’t give her time to tell me to drive the speed limit or to be safe. The only way I would drive even a little faster than the speed limit is if she woke up. On the way home, I did something that I never did – I prayed. I prayed the whole way home. God seemed like the only one who might be able to make Jenna wake up.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I was sitting on the couch watching tv when the phone rang. “Hello?” I answered, focusing more on the tv set than on the person speaking.

“Where have you been?” Anna snapped over the phone.

“Home. Watching tv. Why?”

“Why? Because Jenna woke up three days ago!”

“What?!”

“You better get down here! She’s so mad that you’re not here!”

“I’m coming!” I jumped of the sofa and ran for the door, not bothering with shoes or better clothes and sped to the hospital.

I ran into her room. “Jenna! Jenna!” I turned my head to see her smiling, although she wasn’t smiling at me. She was smiling at Fred. I watched as he leaned down and kissed her. “Get away from her!” I yelled. He looked up at me and smirked and Jenna frowned.

“You’re too late Jason. You’re too late. You weren’t here when I woke up.”

I sat up straight in bed and took a deep breath. I wouldn’t be too late. I wouldn’t let that Fred character beat me to her. I would be there when she woke up. I flew out of bed and started to get dressed again. I had only slept for a couple of hours when I woke up. My phone rang just as I picked it up. “Is she awake?!”

“Not yet, dude, sorry,” Liam said. “I was just wondering if you could pick me up some food. This hospital food is gross, man.”

“Screw you, Liam. I thought Jenna was awake.”

“Nah. She’s sedated right now anyway. She won’t be waking up anytime soon.” He sounded remorseful, and he probably was. Liam and Jenna were close; they were close in a weird way. Liam was almost like her gay best friend, although he was straight. “Sorry dude, I wish I could give you better news.”

I sighed and sat back down on my bed. It was only a dream. Only a dream. “It’s fine, man. It’s cool. I’m sorry for not being the best brother the past couple of weeks.”

“It’s fine man. I understand.”

“Okay.”

I set my phone on my bedside and laid back down. All of a sudden, I was overcome with weariness and exhaustion, and had to lie down. I fell asleep again within seconds.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The days passed into weeks, and the weeks turned into months with still no sign of life. Our families and her friends endured Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and worst of all, her birthday. Soon, the months turned into five years. I graduated without her and I was in my seventh semester of college before I was able to go out with another girl without thinking about Jenna. Every day I went in to see her. Every day I told her I loved her. Every day, I prayed for a miracle. Every day, I was disappointed. 

Her family and friends dealt as best as they could. It did get easier after awhile. Unsurprisingly enough, Fred only paid her a couple of visits. Even if she never woke up, she was still my Jenna.

__________________________________________________________________________    So I know that it was short, and I know that y'all are probably unhappy with me, but the sequel is going to be greattttt!
QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER: What do you think the sequel will be about?
LOVE, BRE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 3K 76
One night, that's all it takes. Alex Summers finds herself being dragged by her friend to a high school party. Her friend gave her a list of things...
She's Mine By Chonks

Mystery / Thriller

17K 455 30
Turner and Ryder have been best friends since kindergarten. But now that there in highschool Turner has developed and unhealthy crush on Ryder. One d...
5.2K 241 26
I stalk him. I watch him. I write about him...
17.1K 426 22
Friendship and relationships will be tested. Hearts will be torn. Trust will be broken. Paisley Thompson, a fifteen-year-old volleyball player must g...