Green Lantern's Protégée

By TheSpiffyWriter

Hal Jordan, one of the Green Lanterns and member of the Justice League, was chosen long ago by a cosmic ring... More

Foreword
1: "Thank god he left that stupid hat."
2: "We're the luckiest idiots in the whole galaxy!"
3: "Because you're not a Green Lantern."
4: "There is no such thing as too many s'mores."
5: "Cult? Like, Shark Bait oh-ah-ha?"
6: "That's male genitals in a sweatshirt."
7: "Pretend I was violently assaulted by a rabid squirrel."
8: "Unless by hot-headed you mean I'm hot, then yeah I am!"
9: "Oh, I didn't tell you? I'm a Green Lantern."
10: "Toto, I don't think we're in Nevada anymore!"
11: "I swear, I will kick you out of space one day!"
12: "What happened to your ear?"
14: "So Shere Khan and Dumbo walked into a bar."
15: "You got me. It is I-Batman."
16: "How 'bout Count Verti-no!"
17: "If Cyra was there, then you would probably be doing something destructive."
18: "Bow to your new queen!"
19: "I knew I shouldn't have shown up today."
20: "Trust me, I'm as mentally stable as you can get."
21: "NINETY-EIGHT BOTTLES OF MILK ON THE WALL!"
22: "What's wrong with saying 'dude'?"
23: "Mood."
24: "Did anyone bring the catnip?"
25: "Good thing I wasn't probed."
26: "Looks like capitalist greed is universal."
27: "Did I just make Wally West speechless?"
28: "There's a less chance of the house being destroyed when Cyra's not in it."
29: "Cyra is like a raccoon."
30: "Walt Disney is haunting me."
31: "I'm not hungry. My stomach is full of deceit."
32: "Are you here about the five dollar large pizzas?"
33: "Aww, teenagers' quarrel."
34: "Superboy would treat me better than this."
35: "What? No 'welcome home, dad'?"
36: "What type of knight would I be if I puked on my princess?"
37: "Why didn't you hit me first? I feel insulted."
38: "Where's my goodnight kiss?"
39: "My mom always said that I'd end up at the circus."
40: "Clowns always deserve to get punched."
41: "The Big Bang I"
42: "The Big Bang Part II"
43: "I am the mole."
44: "Well, Team, we got some heroes to beat up."
"In the brightest day, in the blackest night."
Final Note
Q and A
Release Date and Title Reveal
SPECIAL: Charlie's Story
RELEASED!

13: "I'll make sure to invite you to my birthday party!"

5K 253 98
By TheSpiffyWriter

Mount Justice

September 22, 18:43 EDT

"Recognized: Green Lantern B-0," the system went off as a green blur burst through the cave and sped into the hollow room where they kept all their vehicles, where Superboy, M'gann, and Wally were all standing around.

Cyra burst into the cave and lowered herself to the ground as she tapped her ring to put away the Green Lantern attire, leaving her in some leggings and a brown leather jacket over a lacy white crop-top. Oh and let's not forget her green aviators.

"You guys would not believe what I just got back from!" Cyra announced as she practically skipped over to M'gann and threw and arm around the Martian's shoulder.

"Where?" M'gann giggled, happy to see her friend so happy.

"A training session with both the Green Lanterns, one who flew all the way in from some no-body-cares planet in the middle of crappy-vile-universe! All to have one training session with moi," Cyra did a little bow.

"Oh that's great," Wally said with false excitement from under Superboy's motorcycle. "Now can you hand me the tork wrench."

M'gann handed him the wrench.

"Thank you, Green Cheeks," Wally flirted weakly.

"C'mon! Be excited for me," Cyra kicked Wally's foot, but he went on with fixing the bike and waved her off.

"I'm happy for you," M'gann stated with her usual Hufflepuff smile.

"Thanks M'gann," Cyra grinned, making sure her words could be heard by Wally. "I'll make sure to invite you to my birthday party!"

"Ohh I love birthday parties," M'gann squealed. "When is it."

"Oh I don't know. Like, five months?"

Wally let out a snort from underneath the bike, earning another kick from Cyra.

Aqualad walked into the room next with an unnerved look on his face before he started with some conversation, that seemed pretty awkward and forced to Cyra.

"I have been meaning to ask, any problems at juggling school work with your responsibilities here," Aqualad asked, causing Cyra to snort.

"Nope," Superboy said curtly.

"Juggling is just one of my many talents," Wally said with a smirk as he continued to look at the bike. "Socket wrench."

M'gann floated a socket wrench over and started talking about a million miles an hour, "Evening cheerleading practice has presented a challenged. Oh, but my first loyalty is always to the team. This team--not the Bumblebees."

"I can keep up," Cyra grinned. "But my grades weren't that good to begin with, so . . ."

"I have C's in everything except science," Wally tried (and failed) to one up her.

"Ha!" Cyra exclaimed. "I have D's in everything except science, which I am failing."

Aqualad gave her a questioning look. "That is not something to brag about."

Cyra tapped the gap where her ear should be and pointed at Aqualad. "It takes skill to get a D in art."

Aqualad rolled his eyes at the Green Lantern as he changed the subject to their other green-clad friend. "Artemis started school today. Do you think she will have trouble maintaining her loyalties."

"If Wally can do it, Artemis can definitely do it."

"Can the girl who's not going to graduate till 2025 shut her mouth?" Wally offered with a forced grin, making Cyra stick her tongue out at the red haired speedster as went back to working on Superboy's bike. "Ah, I think she'll manage all right. How more annoying and hostile can she get--"

Wally was interrupted when the wall busted in, flowing with a wall on water that came crashing on them before Cyra could put up a shield. Cyra lost her vision as her nose and mouth filled with water and poured into her lungs. The water swirled around her too quickly and made her body spin around with current, stopping her from swimming to the top. She ran into another flailing person before hitting a wall and the world going dark.

Cyra woke up to being encased in some weird gray crystal stuff. Her head was pounding and the world seemed to tilt before coming back into focus.

Wally and Superboy were struggling against their encasing as Miss Martian and Aqualad were stuck in some fire box, which was not good for either of their anatomies.

Cyra watched as a red and yellow robot that looked a lot like Red Tornado raise from the water, making the water go up around Cyra's neck.

"Nine minutes and forty-five seconds," The robot spoke and Cyra was shocked to hear that it even sounded like Red Tornado.

"Uh what's going on and why is Red Tornado trying to drown us?" Cyra asked Wally and Superboy as she started to struggle in her bonds.

"That's not Red Tornado. Some look a likes broke in and are now trying to kill us," Wally explained.

"And the count down?"

"That's Artemis and Robin's timer to surrender or they kill us."

"Oh," Cyra sighed before fighting against her bonds more aggressively. She tried to make a big hammer to smash it away, but nothing happened. Nothing at all.

The Green Lantern looked down, confused at her hand to see it was vacant of her ring. The ring that was forged by the Guardians of the Universe and given to only those who were worthy, was now gone. Cyra instantly went into panic mode.

"Where's my ring? Where's my ring?" Cyra practically screamed as she started looking around the room, at all her fingers, at the robots as she strained against the crystal, but there was no way of getting out of it.

"It must have fell off when the flood happened," Superboy said, but that didn't stop Cyra from freaking out.

"No, no, no," Cyra said as she struggled against the bonds, but there was no way she would be getting back out. "I need my ring!"

"Calm down," Superboy said as Wally was giving her a look as if she has gone crazy, which she basically was. Neither of them was used to their usually cool and put together friend freaking out so much.

Cyra closed her eyes tightly, trying to put away the thoughts of Hal's angry face at her losing her ring, the Guardians kicking her off for losing it, and having to stop being a Green Lantern hurt. Cyra's mind was in a complete turmoil and she wasn't thinking clearly.

Cyra took in a few deep breaths and focused on her ring. She should be able to call it. Cyra reached out with her mind, trying to focus on her ring. Green Lantern's and their rings had a special connect like an owner and their dog, but a lot more personal and a lot more serious. Cyra thrived on bonding with her ring, which was forged for her finger.

The blonde could feel it and called it, but nothing happened. She called it again, but just a tug before the ring couldn't move.

It must be stuck on something, Cyra thought. That meant she had no way to get out and she was probably going to drown as the water was around her chin, being shorter than her two main companions.

"Eight minutes."

There was a splash and Cyra looked over to see Artemis and Robin floating up in the water.

"Look out!" Wally warned them as Crazy Robot #2 fired some fireballs at them, but they managed to duck out of the way in time.

Artemis and Robin reappeared like ducks next to Cyra.

"Are you guys okay?" Robin asked. His hair was slicked against his forehead.

"No," Cyra moaned.

"Forget us! Help M'gann!" Connor motioned his head to the fire cage.

"Aqualad!" Artemis called up the sickly looking Atlantean. "Is she?"

"She is unconscious. I fear that she--we cannot survive much longer," Aqualad spoke and M'gann was completely out of it.

The scene made Cyra focus more on her ring, but to no avail.

The fire robot spotted Robin and Artemis, sending another blast that almost burned off Cyra's eyebrows.

Cyra watched as Robin and Artemis made it to the stairs, where they were surrounded by Mr. Water and Mrs. Fire, who both seemed on the verge of attacking.

Cyra hated this feeling. The feeling of not being able to help and just sitting there, waiting to die. Kid Flash and Superboy seemed to feel the same way, struggling against their crystal with looks of lost hope on their faces.

Cyra wondered if she looked like that.

The fight started as Artemis started to fire arrows at the lady robot, but they bounces off and caused no damage as Robin ran at the water based robot and threw some of his birdarangs at him. They, like Artemis' arrows, did no damage and one flew and hit right next to Wally's head.

Another almost took off Cyra's other ear. "Why are my poor ears such targets these days?"

Wally and Superboy looked relieved to see she was back to her joke making self, but Cyra still felt like her insides were rotting up without her ring.

Water and fire collided as Robin and Artemis drew the robots fire before jumping into the water and swimming away like little Aqualads.

"Six minutes."

Robin came over Kid Flash's personal batarang and started talking about some crazy EMP thing that Cyra didn't get because she is failing science.

"What do you say KF, doable?"

"Totally doable," Kid Flash agreed.

"Five minutes."

"You know, if you had more time."

"We are totally going to die," Cyra groaned as she banged her head back against her crystal thing.

"Med lab; X-ray machine. You'll find a small vacuum called a vercator that creates high-energy pulses," Kid Flash directs Robin. "Reprogram the units microwave convulsion from X-rays to EMPs with the cascading energy vector pointed outwards."

Cyra shared a crazed look with Superboy before asking the red head, "How do you know all this still."

Wally tapped his left ear. "Science wiz, remember?"

"A ripple affect like dropping a stone in the pond," Robin spoke over the comms.

"A stone with ten to the fifth power wattage, then yeah," Wally said sarcastically.

"So I'll need to hook it up to the caves main generator."

"Which is where?" Artemis' voice was like static over the comms.

"Four minutes."

"Okay, make with the distraction," Robin's voice whispered in their ears.

"Hey Red Tomato!" Kid Flash yelled out to the tin cans. "Who's your girlfriend? Red onion?"

Superboy did a totally fake laugh. "Yeah! By the way, totally lame death trap. We could escape any time we want to!"

"My ring could have you ripped apart in seconds. We just thought to lead you on like you girlfriend probably is!" Cyra yelled out, joining the fun verbal abuse.

"I can vibrate my molecules out of here before your binary brain can count to two!"

"Green Lanterns are made out of nuclear power! I could blow this whole place to smithereens if I wanted to!"

"And you can't drown a Krytonian, dumb-bots! We don't breath air!"

Cyra and Wally looked at each other before both laughing obnoxiously loud, as if anything they were saying was actually funny. It was a totally fake laugh and just the act of doing so made Cyra break out into real laughter.

"And Miss Martian?" Wally yelled. "I can't believe your buying her act!"

Superboy joined it. "Yeah, you know how hot it gets on the caves of Mars?"

"Almost as hot as me," Cyra finished. "And I'm in water."

Superboy and Kid Flash both gave her the 'seriously-right-now?' look and Cyra just shrugged with a puppy pout on her lips and Wally had to turn away before she caught him smiling.

Superboy gave Wally a suspicious stare before going back to his taunting. "That cage is just making her homesick!"

Cyra couldn't tell if the robots actually cared about their taunts or if they just had nothing better to do. They didn't seem like Red Tornado. Red Tornado could pass off as humans, but these guys were more like walking shells.

"Robin, look out!" Artemis' scream cut through their taunts as a large wave ran at Robin, knocking him into the water.

A fireball almost hit Artemis and the arrow she was knocking missed its intended robotic target. As the fireballs being shot at her caused her to retreat.

The water robot rose Robin into the air inside a big tube of water. He was unconscious and to Cyra looked dead, but she couldn't stand to think about it that way.

"Robin," Cyra whispered as the super powered watched from their cages.

Robin was released from his water prison and his the ground lightly. Cyra half expected him to jump up and yell, 'Surprise!', but nothing happened and their bat friend laid unmoving.

Cyra took inventory:

Robin was down and didn't look like he was getting back up, both Aqualad and Miss Martian were out and maybe worse, and Cyra, Wally, and Superboy all had to tip their heads back to try and keep the water out of their lungs.

Not very good.

Artemis walked out and Cyra expected her to have her bow out, but instead there was a deep set frown on her face and her bow was out in front of her.

"I surrender," Artemis' voice echoed over the cave. "Stop the clock."

"No," Cyra whispered. Green-clad heroes knew other green-clad heroes and the Green Lantern knew that the archer would never just step down from the fight like that.

Suddenly the water was at Cyra's face and she was cast under, struggling to keep in her breath.

"Cyra!" Wally yelled, but he too was taken under with Superboy as the water rose.

Cyra heard fighting and yelling, but the water muffled the noises. A big shock went throughout the cave, making Cyra jolt slightly in her bonds.

Her lungs started to burn.

The water started to go down and when Cyra felt the air on her wet face, she took in a big gulp of air along with a panting Kid Flash and Superboy. The fire cage around Aqualad and Miss Martian vanished.

"Kaldur! How's M'gann!" Superboy yelled up to the recovering Atlantean.

"She breathes. I believe she will recover."

"How are you doing, Nemo?" Cyra asked, having got her breath back.

"I am fine. What about Robin?"

Artemis runs over to the Boy Wonder and he starts to cough.

"He's breathing too!" Artemis says in relief and Cyra opens her mouth to say something, but shuts it--realizing this may not be the best time for her shipping.

"Way to get traught," Robin complimented as he started to cough.

"Figured my only shot was to surrender and pretend to drown before I actually did. Blacked out though," Robin added to his heroic tale.

"Smooth," Cyra smirked at him.

"I'm not the one stuck in a rock," Robin pointed out and Cyra stuck her tongue out at the Boy Wonder.

"M'gann," Superboy reached a hand out.

M'gann took his hand with a smile as she says weakly, "I'll be fine."

Cyra gave Artemis a wide-eyed look with her mouth in the shape of an O and Artemis rolled her eyes at the Green Lantern.

"I won. You know what you have to do," Cyra said and everyone watched the exchange curiously.

"No," Artemis said curtly.

"You have to. It was a bet."

"I just saved you life! I think the bet is paid for."

"Ah no," Cyra said. "That's not how bets work. If you let me die, the bet would have died with me."

"I'm tempted," Artemis threatens.

"What bet?" Wally asks.

Cyra was more than happy to tell him. "The bet where if Artemis lost she would have to ask mhjgdjfhgdij."

Artemis covered the Green Lantern's big mouth with her hand to silence her and gave her a glare before picking up some super chainsaw and looking at it

"Will you quit playing with that thing and cut us free already?" Wally asked, impatiently.

"It's not working genius. EMPs shut down all machines, remember?" Artemis snaps back sassily.

"If any of you guys could find my ring I could break us out of here!" Cyra said and Robin started looking around for the ring. "It should be under something."

"All machines present at the time," Red Tornado entered the room and Cyra's lip curled.

"Oh yeah it's momma robot. Your kids attacked us," Cyra said and everyone shot the hot-headed Green Lantern a glare, but they were all ignored.

"What has occurred?" Red Tornado asked in confusion.

"A little visit from your family," Robin said a lot more calmly than Cyra.

"Your extremely nasty family!" Artemis exclaimed.

"I was not aware I had relations," RT walked towards his fallen brethren.

"Where have you been?" Superboy questions.

"Monitor duty on the Watchtower. When it became clear Cave communications were down, I attempted to investigate, but your Zeta-Tubes were also none functional. I transported to providence and then came here."

Sphere jumped down from his spot where he was slammed into the wall for the first part of the flood with a beep.

"Hey boy," Superboy greeted.

Artemis' laser thing went off and Cyra yelled, "Not the ear!"

"The pulse has warn off," Robin and Wally say at the same time.

RT was bent down next to the robots when he suddenly stood straight and started to tornado all the air away.

Air was being sucked away from Cyra before she could breath it. Her throat constricted and her lungs started to burn as the air was being sucked away. It seemed like forever before black spots started to take over her vision and she was cast into another unconscious state.

"C'mon Cyra, wake up bud," Hal's voice lulled Cyra out of the abyss as she looked up to see her mentor.

"Oh hey Hal, how you doing?" Cyra asked, her tongue feeling heavy in her mouth.

Artemis was being awoken by Superman and Kid Flash and Superboy were being cut out of their encasings. Hal slipped something onto Cyra's ring and she looked down to see her Green Lantern ring back on her finger. This caused a genuine, huge smile to break out over my ring.

"You found it!"

"It was under some rubble from the wall collapsing. It was stuck under there good. No wonder you couldn't call it," Hal smiled as her as he used his ring to rip her rock apart.

The Flash looked up from where he was cutting Wally out of his own rock. "Any help?"

"That's your sidekick, so your problem," Hal brushed him off as he took Cyra by the shoulders. "Are you okay?"

"I almost drowned, lost my ring, and was suffocated to lose consciousness. Of course I'm alright! Why would you ask?" Cyra said sarcastically.

"What happened here?" Superman asked.

"What happened? The Reds happened!" Artemis exploded. "Tornado and his--wait, where are they?"

"Gone," Robin said as he turned around to face the archer. "All of them. Gone."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 353 20
You don't usually ride the bus to school, but this month is different and -HOLD UP- is that the Hall of Justice? Are superheroes real now? Is the who...
3.3K 124 20
"And I fell from the pedestal, right down the rabbit hole. Long story short, it was a bad time. Pushed from the precipice, clung to the nearest lips...
137K 5.4K 41
Jaina is an human alien. No one, not even the Guardians of the Universe, know where she is from. And she can't remember. Green Lanterns Hal Jordan an...
89.4K 4K 57
Now calling herself "Jade," a girl must delve into the risky business of cat burglary in attempts to keep her sister safe from a dangerous past. As t...