An Immortal's Favour

Autorstwa RiaNorton

Pessimism poster boy Jacob Agyakwa escapes the clutches of a seemingly certain death and embarks on a getaway... Więcej

Author's Note
Dedication
Jack- A Small Request
Jack- Unsure
Jack- Setting Off
Jack- The Seaside Surprise, Part 1
Jack- The Seaside Surprise, Part 2
Jack- Blue-Eyed Boy
Jack- Il. Gale Uman
Jack- Advice
Jack- Tie Up the Loose Ends
Jack- Domestic Unrest
Gale- Exploration
Gale- The Underbelly
Gale- News
Gale- Their Talk
Gale- Who You Are, Part 1
Gale- Who You Are, Part 2
Gale- Who You Are, Part 3
Gale- Miss You
Jack- Help
Jack- Secrets
Jack- Getting Somewhere
Jack- Books, Books, and More Books
Jack- Not Her
Jack- Picture Perfect
Jack- The Second Victim
Jack- On the Road Again
Jack- To Preserve
Jack- Mr Percy
Jack- The Curse Game
Gale- Right Match
Gale- Planning
Gale- Reunion
Gale- Her Return
Gale- For a Friend
Gale- Re-Emergence
Jack- One Big Bash
Jack- Guilty, Part 1
Jack- Guilty, Part 2
Gale- Worry
Gale- Forgiveness
Jack- Forgiveness
Jack- His Choice
Jack- Departure
Jack- Parting Gift?
Jack- Delivered at Last
Jack- A Healthy Dose of Excitement
News and Information

Jack- The Country of Music

135 11 27
Autorstwa RiaNorton

*

"Here at last!" I flung my arms wide open, getting some strange looks from a family on the balcony to our left. We'd only just gotten to The Zendua, a stylish- but affordable -hotel in the heart of the city. The hotel rose over the area, sleek and modern with its angular lines, glass, and gold embellishments.

"Very excited, aren't you?"

"I..um-"

Gale, eyes closed, leaned against the wall behind me. The soft shine of the evening sun fell, brightening the silver railings of the balcony. "I'm going downstairs for dinner," she announced.

"I'll join you. And you can leave your bag here, you know." I gestured at the leather shoulder bag dangling from Gale's fingers as we went back into her hotel room.

"I'd rather have it with me."

"I'm sure it'll be fine in here. Look, if it makes you feel better, we can leave it in the car for safe keeping." I slung a pale jacket over my shoulders, but my wallet fell out. Gale bent to pick it up and gave it to me.

"It's fine. I don't want to trouble you. Wait, there's something else." She knelt down to pick up the picture that'd slipped out from my wallet and handed it over.

"Thanks."

"Is that of your friends?"

"...Mhm." I flicked the photograph over and pointed them out to her. "That's Kaia. Akosua. Over here's Kwame. And that's Yafeu. Now, let's go down to dinner before all the nice food's finished."

"Yes, my apologies."

"What's even in that bag of yours?" I said as we navigated our way through the wide corridors of the hotel.

She hesitated. "My journal. I thought Eddie might like to read about all the good times we had together."

I brushed a hand against hers awkwardly. "We'll get it to him soon."

Gale grinned, adjusting the strap of her bag.

~

"I need to call someone," I said, straight after dinner.

"Go ahead. I'll be in my room if you need me."

My hotel room wasn't that far from Gale's- only a few doors down. Convenient, seeing as I'd planned to take her out later. But that thought went through my head pretty quickly; I hadn't talked to Mother since our first night from the house, what with keeping tabs on things for the next phase of the trip. Turning the dial several times, I steeled myself for the impending conversation. When she eventually answered, her voice was breezy. Forced.

"Evening," I greeted, deciding to skip the pleasantries. "So who was it? You said you'd tell me."

"Yes- yes. Of course, I did. So..." she trailed off, voice weak.

She'd cut the line as a pair of feet pounded down the stairs during our last call. This time, Mother tried to steer the conversation onto other topics, but I was having none of it.

"Who-"

"The person," she interrupted herself and paused again. She took in a sharp breath, letting the rest of her words tumble out and fall in a muddled heap past her lips. "The person was your father, Jack."

"Father. But what's he- What was he...?" I gabbled.

"He was looking for you."

"Did you tell him where we're going?"

Her quiet breathing punctured the silence, adding fuel to my worry.

"Mother?"

"I've told him about all the places you've planned to pass through, but-" She paused.

"But what?"

"Nothing. Don't mind me."

A soft knock came from the other side of the door.

"Come in." A dark hand pushed it open, clutching at its edge. Gale leaned her head through the gap, her expression bright as she looked at me tentatively.

"It's almost six o'clock. I'm sorry, you're not yet finished?"

"Gale-"

"Immortal Gale's with you? Let me speak to her." Eager as ever, Mother insisted, so much so that I had no choice but to beckon the woman over.

As they talked, I decided to sort out what we'd need for tonight and, despite my sense of unease, I swapped my scowl for a smile.

~

Egordi is a beautiful country and is wonderful in many ways. But it's music is what really makes it famous.

In every street corner, at any time, there's always something playing. At night, soft beats and melodies drift from the various attractions, squares and parks scattered throughout the country. You'd think it'd be annoying. Maybe at first. But after a while, everything fades into the background.

Our hotel wasn't far from Dead Forest, a popular cultural site where the Egordish and tourists from all over come and take part in the annual music festival. I tapped to the beat of a far off tune as our carriage trembled along the dirt tracks, through an older part of the city. You don't skip out on the carriage ride. Nothing beats it.

Our abo lizard drew us through the crowded streets, which were lined with lit torches, their flames bright orange. Next to me, Gale smiled and shifted closer, gesturing at the torches moving by.

"Watch this." She wiggled her fingers and the flames grew slightly, transitioning from orange to blue before returning to their original colour. Some people did a double-take at that.

I closed my eyes and listened to the steady stride of our abo lizard and the others that were also pulling private carriages forward. The sound of scaled feet striking the tough dirt beneath dissolved into the talk of the crowd as we surged forward.

"How did you do that with the fire?"

"I increased its temperature for a short while. It's tiring, though."

"I'll bet," I said, sinking further into my seat and wanting to say nothing more on the topic.

"We're here!" Cheering rippled through the crowd. The carriages pulled into a large area, which was dotted with leafless trees and shrouded in a gauzy layer of dust. Giant tents had been set up, and underneath one was the main stage. Already, a performer was up, accompanied by musicians who played the drums and pulled at the strings of a joba. The crowd joined in enthusiastically while the singer swayed from side to side, her expression ecstatic, as she sang louder.

And our evening continued just as well as it'd began. Towards the end, long after the day's stage performers had finished, the general air of festivity continued. Those who had brought some instruments with them started to play, and others managed to persuade a few of the performers to stay a little while longer, and before we knew it, a sort of freestyle concert began. We danced and sang as well as we could- some definitely better than others -and seemed so carefree you'd think we didn't know the meaning of the word trouble.

Once we'd finally tired ourselves out, Gale and I decided to head back to the hotel. It was well past midnight by the time we stumbled through the front doors and feeling rather peckish, I suggested we stop for a quick meal. The hotel restaurant wasn't as empty as I'd anticipated, but I suppose that was to be expected; plenty of the guests, like us, had just returned from the festival.

Inside, the walls had been lined with lights, tracing a glowing pattern of triangles over the geometric wallpaper, and were bright against the restaurant's dim lighting. All this was in celebration of the festival, but there were no traditional Egordish decorations of any kind. Every table was crammed with people- mostly tourists. Children toyed with the red napkins. Adults, the majority young and fresh-faced, balanced wine glasses in their hands, talking to each other with animation.

Gale and I seated ourselves by the bar near the entrance, both of us smiling. Something slid out of my pocket and fell, despite my hands flying to my shorts to try and catch it. Gale plucked the piece of paper swiftly from the air and turned it over.

"What's this?" A wrinkle formed between her eyebrows.

"Notes. For a new cookbook." I snatched the piece of paper back.

"You better not be working, Jacob," she warned.

"It's nothing much."

"Hm, nothing much indeed." She turned back around as I hid the scrap in my pocket once more.

Even after the festival, despite how much I'd enjoyed myself, the thought of Father coming to the house started to eat away at my mind again. A bartender with neatly trimmed hair sidled up to us and asked for our order, and I came to. My lips parted, ready to reply before a deep voice beat me to it.

"Two citrus bubbles, my good man."

*

Discussion: Things are really heating up now. What might Abal be hiding from Jacob? Share your thoughts!

Feel free to comment and vote if you enjoyed this chapter!

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

36 0 32
Grieving his lost friend and furious with OStar, Avaro and his friend Lucerne leave OCTown to his friend's home. Where they would stay as Avaro calms...
417 77 29
She fell from the sky and he found her. Saved her. (He didn't know what to do with her after that, but that's beside the point.) Jacob cared for none...
2.3K 45 67
Derythian Kingsley has always been different from his kind. Different from his older brother, leader of his home land Xenia, and different from the n...
7.9K 827 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...