Your Crucible | Peaky Blinders

By mphee_bs

Y O U R C R U C I B L E "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead... More

The Thornes
Part I
Chapter One ~ 1919
Chapter Two ~ The Specials
Chapter Three ~ Singing
Chapter Four ~ Plans
Chapter Five ~ Who
Chapter Six ~ Billy Kimber
Chapter Seven ~ The Races
Chapter Eight ~ Right And Wrong
Chapter Nine ~ Love
Chapter Eleven ~ Betrayal
Chapter Twelve ~ Hurt
Chapter Thirteen ~ Punches
Chapter Fourteen ~ To Be A Blinder
Chapter Fifteen ~ Intuition
Chapter Sixteen ~ Kimber's Men
Part II
Chapter Seventeen ~ 1921
Chapter Eighteen ~ London
Chapter Nineteen ~ The Reopening
Chapter Twenty ~ Michael Gray
Chapter Twenty-One ~ Complicated
Chapter Twenty-Two ~ Absence of Common Sense
Chapter Twenty-Three ~ To Act Accordingly
Chapter Twenty-Four ~ May
Chapter Twenty-Five ~ Collateral Damage
Chapter Twenty-Six ~ The Arrests
Chapter Twenty-Seven ~ Confessions
Chapter Twenty-Eight ~ Completely
Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ The Derby Races
Chapter Thirty ~ Surprise
Part III
Chapter Thirty-One ~ 1924
Chapter Thirty-Two ~ Snow
Chapter Thirty-Three ~ The Changretta's
Chapter Thirty-Four ~ Taken
Chapter Thirty-Five ~ Cursed
Chapter Thirty-Six ~ The Trophy Wives
Chapter Thirty-Seven ~ Separation
Chapter Thirty-Eight ~ The Escape
Chapter Thirty-Nine ~ Reunited
Chapter Forty ~ Reconciliation
Chapter Forty-One ~ Isolation
Chapter Forty-Two ~ Confessions
Chapter Forty-Three ~ Picnic in the Park

Chapter Ten ~ The Wedding

5.8K 169 40
By mphee_bs

Chapter Ten
The Wedding

"I love him, Polly. I love him"

          John smiled as he looked down at Lottie who was still asleep, her head resting on his chest. He could get used to this, he thought smugly. He knew they had to get up as Tommy had something planned, but he could barely think about that. All the misery he had felt had completely evaporated all because of Lottie. Why did he ever have doubts? What an idiot he had been. He brought a hand up and began to caress Lottie's auburn hair. He smiled softly when he heard her sigh in her sleep, before her eyes fluttered open. She looked up at him, grinning. "Morning," she murmured.

          "Morning," he replied happily.

           She lent forward and kissed his lips softly. He kissed her back, rolling over so that she was underneath. As the kisses became more passionate, she finally giggled and turned her head away from him, but John wouldn't stop. His lips continued to kiss her, trailing from her eyelids to her cheek, the corners of her mouth and down her neck. She laughed again and tried to grab his face. "We need to get up," she giggled. "We're meeting Tommy, remember?"

          "Or we could just stay here..." he offered.

          "Despite how much I'd love to, we promised," she insisted.

          He groaned with fake annoyance, rolling onto his back. Lottie rested her arms on his chest. His smile faded as looked at her with serious honesty. "Are you happy?" He asked.

          "I'm very happy," she whispered back.

          Smiling, he lifted his head to kiss her again.

          "Stop," she argued. "Come on, otherwise we'll never get up."

          Lottie climbed out of the covers and dressed into a pretty pastel green dress and applied red lipstick whilst John sat up in the bed, smiling as he watched her. Once she was ready, she turned to him. "You look beautiful," he whispered.

          Blushing, she kissed him, giggling when she left a red lipstick stain on his lips. She grabbed her handkerchief and wiped it off. "Come on," she said.

          Begrudgingly, he got up and dressed into his suit. He stopped, looking around for his cap before seeing Lottie standing smugly with it on her head. Chuckling he walked over to her and brushed his lips against hers. "I love you," he smiled.

          The two of them left her apartment, John wearing his cap after managing to get it off Lottie, and the two of them walked over to the field they had been told to go. Lottie froze seeing the Blinders and Maxim all gathered together, roses in their jackets. Fear washed over her. What was going on? But she realised, she knew. This was a wedding. John's. John didn't seem to pick up on it and continued walking towards them.

          "John, ready?" Tommy asked.

          "Yeah, I'm fine," he replied confused.

          Arthur handed him a bottle. "Here, have a drink."

          John took a long gulp of it and handed it back. He then looked around at all the men. "What? What you all staring at me for? What?"

          "Good," said Tommy. "Let's go."

          The group of men walked forwards, Lottie trailing behind, feeling her heart breaking with each step she took. She couldn't watch. Her breathing rugged as tears began to fill her eyes.

          "Tommy, what you playing at?" Hissed John. "We're in shotgun range."

          They all turned to him. "John," said Tommy. "Before we go into battle, there's something you're gonna need. They all took out white roses and Tommy stepped forward and attached it to John's suit.

          "What you bloody doing, Tommy?" Asked John, his heart beating faster, but he knew now, too.

          "Smile, John," he said, putting his hands on John's cheeks. "It's a wedding."

          "Whose bloody wedding?"

          "Now, if we'd told you, you wouldn't have come. There's a girl in the Lee family who's going a bit wild. And she needs marrying off."

          John punch Tommy, pushing his away. "Ah, fuck!" He swore. This couldn't be happening.

          "John boy, John boy!" Arthur warned, trying to calm him down.

          "John!" Tommy snapped.

          "You have no bloody right, Tommy!"

          "Listen to me," he said. "Listen to me. A girl who needs a husband. A man who needs a wife."

          "Tom, I'm not bloody marrying some fucking mushroom picker," he argued.

          Tommy shushed him. "John boy, come on. Listen. I have already betrothed you."

          John's eyes widened.

          "So, if you back out now, there's gonna be a fucking mighty war breaking out here. That's gonna make the Somme look like a fucking tea party. But if you marry her, our families and the Lee family will be united forever. And this war will be over. Now, it's up to you, John. War or peace."

          John looked down for a long time before glancing at Lottie. "Did you know?" He breathed, staring at her.

          She couldn't speak so she shook her head.

          "I didn't tell her," said Tommy, confirming it.

          John ran his hand through his hair before walking forward, the others following, occasionally looking back at her.

          She didn't keep up.They had only just been honest to each other and now their happiness was being taken away as soon as they had got it. Why didn't she listen to John. Why couldn't they have stayed in their moment of ecstasy. She just stood, unable to take a step forward. She understood why he was now walking up there - it was his duty as a Blinder to bring peace to their families. She couldn't be mad at him. Maxim who had been smiling, stopped when he realised that Lottie wasn't following. His brows furrowed in concern. "You alright?" He asked

          Lottie glanced at him, snapping out of her thoughts and forced a smile, discreetly wiping tears from her eyes, and nodded. But even as she tried to be brave, her chin quivered as fresh tears formed in her eyes. Maxim took her arm, instantly knowing she wasn't alright, and the two of them made their way to join the others.

          "Will he do?" Tommy asked the gypsy woman.

          "He'll do," she smiled.

          The men cheered. John broke a smile, but it was mainly forced.

          Everyone got to their seats, the bride covered by her veil walked to the alter. Tommy then patted John on the back and he walked nervously to the alter to join her. They knelt on the cushions on the floor.

          "We're here today to join in matrimony," began Johnny Dogs. "This man and this woman..."

          Lottie looked down at her hands, trying to block out his voice. Closing her eyes shut tightly. Maxim put a hand on hers, tightening his fingers comfortingly. With her eyes still shut, she gripped his hand.

          "I now pronounce you man and wife!"

          The crowd cheered in celebration. John hesitated, his eyes going to Lottie, but she looked away, unable to watch.

          "Come on, John, kiss the bride, will you?" Johnny encouraged.

          John kissed Esme nervously.

***

          Lottie had to admit, the gypsies knew how to party. They were all dancing to the music and singing, drinking, with guns being fired, and fireworks exploding in the sky. She stayed mostly with Maxim, who wasn't one to party and get drunk anyway, so she wouldn't have to face John. Her plan, however, failed as soon as John walked over to her, once people had stopped swarming around him.

          "May I have this dance?" John asked, bowing, smiling.

           "You may," she replied, unable to keep herself from smiling back at him despite everything. Taking his outstretched hand, they walked into the centre of the field. He put his hands on her waist and she put hers on his shoulders. Her heart felt torn. What should she say? He was married. They could never be together now.

          "Lottie..." he murmured, his eyes shut, lowering his face so his cheek rested on hers. She didn't need to see him to know he was feeling the same internal conflict as her.

         She shook her head. "No, John, don't," she whispered, putting some distance between them. The two of them stood still in the crowd of dancers who were oblivious to the heartbreak that was occurring. She had to say it whilst she still had a clear head. "What happened between us last night - you need to forget it."

          He opened his eyes, staring at her in hurt. He opened his mouth to argue, but she continued.

          "You need to put one hundred percent into your marriage or you'll be miserable, and I couldn't live with myself for that. All I want for you is to be happy, and this is your chance."

          "But you make me happy," John argued quietly.

          Shaking her head, she put her hand on his cheek. "She will, too. The best thing you can do, for her, for me and for yourself, is to forget about us. Give your marriage a chance. You never know, you may learn to love her as I loved you. But we can't be together. I've done a lot of things, but I could never be with a married man."

          John's eyes filled with tears, one escaping down his cheek. He sniffed harshly, wiping his nose with his sleeve, creasing his brow, trying to contain his emotions. "I love you..."

          "I love you, too, but, John, please, otherwise it will hurt too much," Lottie begged.

           As if it pained him to do so, he nodded and wrapped his arms around her tightly as if it were to be the last time. Instantly, she hugged him back, both their shoulders shuddering. Tears began to topple down her cheeks.

          Knowing that she'd never let go if she didn't now, she put her hands on his shoulders and stepped back, her head bowed. When she looked back up at him, his expression was so painful to look at, she almost kissed him right then.

          Forcing a smile to her lips, she wiped away her tears and said, "Congratulations, John. I hope you will be very happy."

          "Lottie..." he begged.

          His voice made her heart shatter. She could feel every crack, every tear in her heart. She couldn't say anything else, her throat choking her, her chest too tight. She turned away from him and made her way to the side over to where Polly stood. Instantly, Polly opened her arms, seeing her broken expression. Lottie collapsed into her arms and hugged her tightly, all her strength disappearing and she cried. "I love him, Polly," she wept quietly. "I love him."

***

          Lottie sat at the table with Polly, Tommy and the gypsy woman who was actually really interesting to talk to - well, listen to. Lottie wasn't in the mood for talking. All she wanted was to brood and let the misery wash over her. Polly watched concerned at Ada who danced and squealed and laughed as she spun around. "You should tell Ada to slow down," advised Polly to Tommy.

          "You think she'll listen to me?" He questioned.

          "I've tried stopping her but she's been drinking," she continued. "She's been stuck in that basement for weeks. What do you expect? She's going off like a firecracker - oh, Christ, Tommy, please!"

          Arthur tried to calm Ada. "Enough, now. Enough. Ada!"

          Tommy stood up and walked over to her. "All right, Ada! Come on, have a rest. Sit down," he instructed.

          "Come and look Esme!" Ada called out. "Look at the family you've joined!"

          Esme was sitting on John's lap. Even knowing it was for the best, it felt like a stab in the heart to see. Lottie wanted nothing more than to punch the girl round the face - it wouldn't be fair to her, Lottie knew - but logic was easy to ignore when her heart was breaking. But punching her would hurt John and John deserved to be happy and she was sure Esme would be able to do just that. Compartmentalisation. That was the key. Compartmentalisation. The two of them stood up as well as Lottie who made her way to Ada, pushing passed Tommy and Arthur, pushing back the pain and tears.

          "Come, look at the man who runs it!" Ada exclaimed, punching Tommy clumsily in the chest. "He chooses his brother's wives for them! He hunts his own sister down like a rat and tries to kill his own brother-in-law!"

          Lottie put her hands on Ada's arms, trying to calm her. "Come on, Ada, not here."

          She turned on her. "You're thinking the same thing! It's your brother he wants dead, too!" She shouted. "The things he's made you do for the sake of business! I know what he's made you do - Freddie told me what happened when you came home and cried your heart out! He said you didn't tell him what happened, but I can figure it out!"

          "Ada, please," hushed Lottie, her eyes filling with tears.

          Ada turned back to Tommy. "And now he won't even let me have a fucking dance!"

          "Ada!" Polly warned.

          "Not even at a fucking wedding!"

          "Sit her down," instructed John.

          "Calm down, Ada," soothed Polly.

          "Ada, you have to calm down," nodded Lottie.

           Ada hunched over gasping. Polly looked down and swore, "Holy shit. Water."

          Lottie stared. "Fuck."

          "Right," said Polly.

          "Bloody hell, Ada, you do pick your times," groaned Arthur.

           "Come on," said Lottie, she and Polly helping Ada to the car, the men and Esme following behind them.

          Tommy drove Polly, Ada and Lottie in his, John going in his new car with Esme and Arthur and Maxim. The two women helped Ada get upstairs to her bed, Esme entering once she arrived. Lottie looked at Polly. "Freddie should be here," she whispered.

          "I know," she nodded. "I've already told Tommy. He's on his way. The truce lasts till sunrise."

          Lottie beamed, but Ada's scream got their attention and they ran into the room.

          Ada was sweating and groaning.

          "Keep going," said Polly. "That's right. Push."

          Ada screamed in agony.

          Esme felt Ada's stomach. "I think it might be the wrong way round," she said. "I tended three sisters."

          Polly felt. "Yeah, I think you're right."

          "She'll be okay, though, won't she?" Lottie asked.

          "We should lean her forward," said Esme.

          "Come on, Ada."

          The three of them moved her so she was on all fours. "Right, come on. Not long now, darling," Polly soothed.

          "You can do it, Ada," said Lottie. "Just push."

          "Push, two, three!"

          Ada screamed out.

          "You've done it," gasped Lottie, smiling happily. She wrapped the baby in a blanket and handed it softly to her. "It's a boy."

          They went downstairs where Polly made her a cup of tea. "There you go, love," she said softly.
The three of them looking at the baby.

          "Aw, he's beautiful," Polly sighed.

          The door opened and there was Freddie.

          "Freddie," Lottie beamed.

          Polly stood and stepped to the side.

          "It's a boy, Freddie," said Ada.

          Tears appeared in his eyes as he sat next to her. "It's a beautiful baby boy," he whispered.

          Ada handed it to him carefully.

          "There you go, welcome to the world, son." He smiled. "Welcome."

A/n:

aw cute - i do like Freddie, despite his sometimes selfish stubbornness aha. Sorry to all those who wanted Lottie and John to be together, I just like heartbreak a little too much to let that happen, but I do have an overall plan which I'm very excited about :) please do vote, comment your thoughts and follow - I'd really love it.  Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter and have a nice day :)

published : 09/07/2018

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182K 3.2K 23
The sister of Freddie Thorne and the best friend of John Shelby attracts the attention of the leader of the Peaky Blinders. Will he be able to protec...
20.1K 292 16
Since she was young, Mollie May was always taught to think for herself and to fight for herself. Now that she's older, the same rules apply. After mo...
13.4K 484 11
- 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 the Shelby family think they've finally been set free from Freddie Thorne. Until.. or - 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 the younger sister of Fred...
2.1M 47.4K 51
Because every girl needs their own prince charming, but some girls need their own birmingham gangster. •BOOK ONE COMPLETED• •SEASON ONE- SEASON TWO...