Mage Slayer: Book Four of the...

By drahcirwolf

Reyn has nothing but secrets. Everything she is or has ever been becomes another reason to be despised. Born... More

CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
FIRST INTERLUDE
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
SECOND INTERLUDE
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
THIRD INTERLUDE
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FIFTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX
CHAPTER FIFTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FIFTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FIFTY-NINE
CHAPTER SIXTY
CHAPTER SIXTY-ONE
CHAPTER SIXTY-TWO
CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE
CHAPTER SIXTY-FOUR
CHAPTER SIXTY-FIVE
CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX
CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER SIXTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER SIXTY-NINE
CHAPTER SEVENTY
CHAPTER SEVENTY-ONE
CHAPTER SEVENTY-TWO
CHAPTER SEVENTY-THREE
CHAPTER SEVENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER SEVENTY-SIX
CHAPTER SEVENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER SEVENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER SEVENTY-NINE
CHAPTER EIGHTY
CHAPTER EIGHTY-ONE
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

2.5K 188 64
By drahcirwolf

Having been an empress for little more than two months, Enfri didn't consider herself all that accustomed to the duties of a sovereign. Many aspects of the job remained difficult for the daughter of a village errand boy to get her head around. All that aside, there were parts she believed she was getting better at, even used to. One of those was having experienced and powerful men, who until recently had been so high above her in social status that they were hardly the same species, kneel before her and swear fealty. Prideful, perhaps, but Enfri had gotten used to that sooner than she expected.

And then, Enfri was confronted with her current situation, where she was reminded with devastating clarity that she was still just a village girl who had stumbled into her empire.

He must think me an utter wreck, she thought while her cheeks burned with shame.

Enfri didn't have a throne room to receive Lord Seifer the Nolaas. What she had instead was a little garden she'd chosen to tend in the early morning while the preparations to leave Sandharbor were handled. She didn't have one of her resplendent gowns, just a dingy cotton dress that might as well have been made from burlap for how common it was. Enfri's head was wrapped in a threadbare shawl, her fingernails had dirt under them, she was unbathed, ungroomed, and she could count the number of hours she'd slept the night before on one hand without running out of fingers.

And yet, Lord Seifer treated with her as if this was her best day for appearances.

It didn't help Enfri's composure at all that Lord Seifer was as lovely as his daughter. He was tall and fit with an athletic build, long and straight hair the color of snow, skin so pale as to appear deathly, an aristocratic jawline, and piercing red eyes. Dressed impeccably, Seifer had his top hat tucked under the crook of his arm along with a fashionable walking cane. His double-breasted blazer was pressed with an amount of lace just shy of being feminine. Rubies were set within his cufflinks and in the earrings hanging from his pierced ears. It was all but impossible to believe he was in the latter half of his fifties; Enfri would have put gold marks on him being no older than Ban.

He's not human, Sunny, Yora reminded her. He's a vampire, and they have longer lifespans than mortals. Or so the others tell me. Never met one that I know of.

Off to her side, Enfri noticed Kiffa doing her best to remain unnoticed. She was hardly able to even look in Lord Seifer's direction. In fact, just about everyone who was up and about at this hour was casting furtive glances his way. It didn't look like anyone was coming to rescue Enfri. Even Jin, returned from Deebee's lair late last evening, was no help at all.

Enfri cleared her throat. "Please forgive how unprepared we are. I'm currently without a scribe to document anything."

Lord Seifer inclined his head and gave a short bow from the waist. "Not at all, Your Majesty. It is clear that my arrival came in the midst of events of far greater importance. You have done me the greatest honor just by agreeing to hear my pledge, and all else may be seen to in due time."

"I do regret the circumstances, my lord. A family as old and respected as House Nolaas deserves better from me." She picked at some caked mud on her sleeve. "Winds take me, but I wouldn't blame you if you turned around and went back home."

Seifer put a hand over his heart as he performed the most refined fit of laughter Enfri had ever seen. His red eyes shone with amusement over a wide smile which revealed his fangs. "I confess, Your Majesty, that the state I have found you in has accomplished nothing but reinforce my convictions. It is refreshing beyond words to see one in power who knows how to get their hands dirty in the literal sense, not only the metaphorical."

Enfri couldn't put her finger on it, but there was something about Lord Seifer's manner that seemed familiar. As if she'd met someone who'd acted the same way, or spoke with the same vocabulary. Her eyes drifted towards the hat and cane held under his arm, and the feeling grew stronger.

She focused on that and that alone. Otherwise, she'd be confronted with how blustering gorgeous Lord Seifer was. Enfri was attracted to him. There was no getting around it. At the least, she could rest assured it wasn't for any Voice or forbidden spellcraft.

Garret, she thought in surprise. That's where I've seen him before. Lord Seifer's almost like... the nobleman Garret is trying to imitate.

"Thank you for putting it kindly, my lord," Enfri said. "I promise a more suitable reception when I return. Until then, you might familiarize yourself with the land and Shan Alee. Princess Pacifica Romov will be acting as regent while I and the first minister are both absent, and she will see to your needs."

Lord Seifer returned his top hat to his head with a flourish. "Ah, of course. My dear Starra's new apprentice, the Lady of Diamonds, and the recipient of Old Ambrose's bloodsong. I've heard a great deal of her and look forward to our first meeting. I do regret arriving too late to meet Minister Reyn, however. From what I have heard, she will be leaving the Five Kingdoms this very moment."

"On a very important task for me," Enfri said.

"Without a doubt, Your Majesty. To travel to the far west and see what no living eyes in the Five Kingdoms have witnessed, I envy her the opportunity but not the momentous responsibility. The first minister's successful return will be one further event I shall look forward to with great anticipation. Not only for the opportunities of resuming trade with Espalla and the Jade Empire, but in meeting the young woman who has so thoroughly ensorcelled the heart of my daughter."

Enfri smiled fondly. "They are rather taken with each other. I didn't see it coming, to be honest, but it's good to see them both happy."

"Ah, I'm being talked about." Starra arrived in the herb garden, looking ravishing in what appeared to be the outfit of a Spired City ruffer girl. "Apologies for interrupting, my empress, but I thought you should know the first minister's delegation has just departed."

"Winds see them safely back," Enfri said, half in prayer.

"We're agreed, then," Starra sighed.

There was a slight puffiness to the skin around her eyes, making it plain to Enfri that Starra had taken a moment for herself to cry over Reyn's leaving before coming to report. It put a sympathetic ache in her heart. When she first witnessed Starra and Reyn's initial interactions, she'd never have guessed all that blatant flirting and superficially antagonistic behavior were merely a camouflage for emotions so deep and consuming. It reminded Enfri that there was no one face of love, and it wasn't always easy to recognize it at first glance.

Lord Seifer took his daughter's arm in a smooth motion. "My dear, you are a braver soul than we deserve."

Starra clucked her tongue. "Quite enough, Da..." She cleared her throat. "Father. I trust you've made your oaths?"

"As well as can be done for now," Seifer replied. He released Starra's arm and came forward to take Enfri's hand. He knelt down in the tilled soil before placing a light kiss on her knuckles.

"My lord," Enfri gasped. "Your fine clothes..."

"My empress, how could I call myself a man if I am not willing to take the same measures as my liege?" He rose to his feet. "The fealty of myself and my house belong solely to you, Your Majesty. I've seen enough already to know that I will not come to regret it."

Enfri lowered her eyes and fought unsuccessfully to stop her blushing. "I can't imagine you've seen anything quite like that."

"Not so much what I have seen as what I have not." He tipped his hat to her. "Neither you or anyone you command have tried to ward me away with spiritual talismans or made a dash for cloves of garlic."

"Seems a bare minimum to swear yourself to, my lord."

"Vampires take what we can get," he said bluntly, "but I have faith you will impress me further, my empress. I will endeavor to live from this moment onward without hiding my true nature. No king or god before you has inspired such audacity from me, and what gives me heart is that I feel you do not view simple existence as an audacious act."

"Not in my Shan Alee, and I'll see to it that it's the same in the rest of the Five Kingdoms before too long. House Yora will stand with House Nolaas from this day forward."

Lord Seifer's expression softened. "I believe that is my line, Your Majesty. I'm afraid you have given me grand expectations for this empire, so I will do all I can to see your vision made manifest. Farewell, and may the essence of all spirits grant you a swift and safe return."

"Thank you, my lord, and thank you for coming."

Lord Seifer held out an arm for his daughter. Starra linked her arm through his, and they strolled off together, heads close in conference. Enfri imagined they had much to talk about.

Briefly, Enfri felt a pang of longing. She wished she were able to walk through the countryside with her father like that. As things were, she was grateful to have been allowed any sort of connection to Yora at all, but that didn't stop her from dwelling on how things could have been different and better if she'd been able to have him with her in the mortal world.

As Seifer and Starra withdrew, Kiffa crept to Enfri's side. She'd been awake to see Enfri off, and the arrival of a vampire nobleman from one of the most distant of foreign kingdoms had come as a shock. "Winds," she said in wonder.

Jin skulked out from Enfri's cottage, her eyes following the path Lord Seifer walked. "Winds and storms."

Enfri glanced over both shoulders at each of them in turn. "Wasn't just me, then?"

"He's beautiful," Kiffa whispered.

"Forgive me, my heart. I've never before had such a reaction to a man."

"It's different, isn't it?" Enfri gestured wildly with her hands. "You see a pretty girl and you think... ooh, but with men it's more like... ohh."

"It bothers me that I can see where you're coming from."

"We all have blind spots in our attractions," Enfri said with a wicked grin. "Remember, I never even considered courting girls until you came along."

Jin frowned. "This was an aberration and nothing more."

"Wouldn't dream of suggesting otherwise. It's bad enough thinking every woman we come across might steal you from me. I couldn't handle that with every man, too."

Jin scoffed. "Welcome to a day in my life."

Enfri went up on her toes and kissed Jin on the mouth. "Jin scents of me," she said as innocently as she could.

It was a glorious thing to see Jin crack a smile and attempt to hide how she blushed. "Someone is in a cheery mood. Unnatural, at this hour."

Enfri rubbed at the caked mud on her dress again. "Winds, but that put a wrinkle in how I saw the morning going. I should've been in my flight armor by now."

"I will assist you," Jin offered.

"Go on," Kiffa urged her. "Don't worry about the crumbleweed. I'll have the herbs seen to while you're away. Just make sure it's not as long an absence this time around."

Enfri gave Kiffa a hug and promised it wouldn't be months before their next meeting. She then let Jin lead her back into the cottage where Enfri's gear waited. Jin was professional and methodical in performing the duties of an armorer. She didn't even respond to Enfri's playful invitations to try something when she didn't have her clothes on.

"You are behind schedule as it is, my heart," Jin scolded. Her words were belied by how her fingers traced along Enfri's tattoos. "These on your lower back are new. I see Kolbat has added the Historian."

Enfri hummed an affirmative. "All caught up again. Kolbat did them while you were at Deebee's lair."

"Do your tattoos need time to heal?"

"Between Kolbat's alchemy and my taking healing through the bond, there's no need to cover them or anything. Kolbat's getting good at it and only needs a few minutes per dragon. If I'm not careful, I might run out of space to add more, the way things are going."

"Jalla and Ascania made for sixty-eight bonds you've forged," Jin said quietly. She put a silk shirt over Enfri's head, followed by her leather breastplate. "There was once a time I would have heard that number and felt dread."

Enfri ordered her hair into three tails arranged vertically. "Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't blame you if you did."

Jin paused as she attached the pauldrons to Enfri's armor. She hesitated over a bare spot on Enfri's right shoulder. It was opposite the spot on Enfri's other shoulder that held Deebee's image. "And this?"

Enfri opened her mouth, unable to easily find the right way to say it. "A reserved space, you could say."

"My heart..."

"Don't get me wrong," Enfri interrupted hurriedly. "I know you don't want to get a bond, but in case you ever do..." She trailed off, thinking about how foolish and selfish she must've sounded. "But even if you never do, I want this to be your place on me. Let it stay blank forever and represent the bond that has nothing to do with elder magic."

Jin secured the pauldron over Enfri's shoulder. "I cannot, my heart," she murmured. "I am not a knight. I am an assassin. That part of me is something I have not the will to change."

"I'm not asking you to change," Enfri insisted. "As far as I'm concerned, you're already perfect."

A smile quirked at the corner of her mouth. "I am far from perfect."

"Perfect for me." Enfri raised her arms for Jin to set the bandoliers of alchemical spells in place. "I wish we were married already. I'm willing to wait until everything settles down, of course, but I'm looking forward to start calling you my wife and not just my betrothed."

"I feel the same, my heart. There is nothing in this world I wish for more than that."

Enfri heard a touch of sadness in Jin's tone. "Is something wrong?"

"There are many things wrong. I'm afraid, Enfri. I hear of all that is wrong in the world and worry it will ever be one in which we can be together." She swallowed. "And I fear for my family. Both for their safety and for what they may become."

"Demon thralls, you mean," Enfri said carefully.

Jin nodded, her eyes on the ground. "Before there can be peace on the Continent, House Algara must face a reckoning. I have come to terms with that, and I will support Maya in her goals to bring it about."

"At least Josy isn't in danger of getting caught up in the demons' plots anymore."

Jin let out a breath. "Unless we have erred by giving her our trust."

"You think she might be the traitor Ban's worried about?"

Jin shook her head. "No. That was unworthy of me. Forgive me, but you may find in the future that I'm more paranoid than I let on. I tend to let my fears take on a life of their own and overcome rational thought."

Enfri recalled an incident involving a cut palm and suspected skindancer. "I don't have as hard a time believing it as you might think."

Jin swatted her on the backside.

"But you're right. I need to be more mindful. Ban's been warning me for weeks that the old masters will try something with Shan Alee. Varn warned me. Inwé and my father warned me. Winds, even Shoen. I can't let myself believe Hana was the only spy keeping an eye on us, nor that all of them will end up being as benign as she was." She took in a breath. "What do you think? Will the demons try to stop me bringing the Aleesh into Shan Alee?"

Jin's eyes widened for a moment, as if taken off-guard by the question. "Honestly, I do not know. Ambrose the Merovech seemed to believe the return of Shan Alee and the Dragon Emperors would aid his shadow war against the demons. Similarly, the gods themselves appear to hold you in some favor. With that in consideration, I can only believe the demons would want to stop you."

Enfri chewed her lip. "I hear a 'however' lurking in there."

"However, we know it was my uncle who has been the demons' most powerful agent in their arsenal. He killed your father, I assume, to deny him to the Merovech. He unleashed Elise on the Five Kingdoms. I believe Vintus has his own plans for the Aleesh, and neither of us will like what those may be."

"And this Five business?"

Jin snorted. "No one, not even Starra, has been able to provide a satisfactory answer about as to what 'the Five' are even supposed to be."

"I'm not all that sure they know much more than we do in that regard. 'The five souls fate rests upon'. You're right that it sounds needlessly vague, but Krayson and Starra seem to think you're one of the Five. Ban believes it, too."

"You, me, Ban, Krayson, and Reyn. The five of us who brought Pacifica back from the Beyond. I will admit, it holds a measure of dramatic weight, but I have never given much credence to the dogmas of forgotten gods. Particularly that of the god other gods went to the trouble of imprisoning."

Enfri smiled as Jin set the last buckles into place. "You're more a 'make your own fate' sort of lady."

"For better or worse." She finished getting Enfri ready for flying. "There, and just in time."

"In time for what, exactly?"

Jin nodded in indication towards the door. "A visitor, and one I doubt would be as understanding as the Nolaas about finding a sky woman where an empress should stand."

Enfri pursed her lips. "I think I know the one you mean."

Jin gave Enfri's hand a parting squeeze before walking to the door and sliding it open. "You may enter, Princess, though I would ask that your retinue remains outside. It is close quarters."

"I always found it big enough," Enfri muttered under her breath. She tugged down on her bandoliers to tighten them up some more, then she turned to face Princess Nkeoma. "I wasn't expecting you, Princess. Is there something I can do for you before I depart?"

"Nay, Majesty," Nkeoma said. Her manner was more timid than the previous times they'd spoken. She kept her hands folded in front of her and traced her eyes over Enfri's armor. "I... merely wished to see you off and offer mine thanks once more."

Enfri blinked. Her thanks the day before had been unexpected enough. It must've been more of a relief than Enfri anticipated for Nkeoma to no longer be a daanman anymore. "If I may ask— it's something I've never experienced— but does your ether feel at all... different?"

Nkeoma shook her head and offered a tiny smile. "Nay, Majesty. As was explained to me by Brother Ebiundu, mine father's preserver, I do not carry the same magic Lord Garret once held. Rather, mine own ether stores have been revitalized after being forcibly atrophied by the cost of mine elder magic."

"That's a relief," Enfri said. "I was worried you'd have to deal with Garret's stink on your spellcraft on top of everything else I've put you through."

"If but half the things I have learned of Master Deveaux in your camp are correct, it is a relief I share. Truth, Your Majesty, until this past week, I knew him only as a gifted singer and actor."

"I understand how difficult it is to believe," Jin agreed. "I myself was a great admirer of his until the day he attempted to kill me on my uncle's orders."

Nkeoma swallowed and lowered her eyes. Her manner had only grown more furtive since she came inside. "Your Majesty, I... With your permission, may I speak plain?"

"Of course."

"This past week, you have provided many opportunities for me to observe Shan Alee. I have found my stay to be far different than expected, and yourself, more candid. To say it plainly, I have waited for the other shoe to drop. As of yet, I have not seen it."

Enfri exchanged a brief look with Jin before looking back to Nkeoma. "You say that even while there may be another battle with your family?"

"There again, I see your candor. When you say to me you do not seek a confrontation with Melcia, I find I believe you where before I did not. I apologize, Your Majesty, for doubting your intent."

Enfri was nearly struck speechless. Of all the way things might have gone with Nkeoma, she hadn't dared hope she might actually change the princess' mind. That it appeared to be the case made Enfri a great deal happier to report what she had left orders for Ban and Pacifica to do with her. "Thank you, Princess. I truly appreciate it, and please accept my own apology for circumstances forcing us to meet as we did. I hope that when you return to your family today, you might try to persuade them, also."

Nkeoma's eyes snapped up in surprise. "Mine family?"

Enfri dared to take a step closer to her. "I don't want to be the kind of empress who keeps hostages. I'm sure you've realized by now that I mean for Melcia and Shan Alee to be neighbors, and I'd prefer an open border to one with battlements and checkpoints."

"Shan Alee is to be here?" Nkeoma raised her chin to peer down her nose at Enfri. "I cannae help but note you would then control the road from Adezu to Drok Moran. And the trade of iron and silk between mine kingdom and Nadia."

She's the mind of a merchant, Inwé interjected. Economics were never among my strengths.

Nor mine, Enfri agreed. "If you're worried about tariffs, I don't think we'd place anything egregious on your trade caravans."

"No, I worry more for Althandi houses growing jealous of the taxes they would stand to lose to your empire. I am confident mine house will barter a reduced tariff in exchange for recognizing your borders. A profitable circumstance for Melcia and Nadia. Less so for Althandor."

Jin shrugged. "The only house that stands to lose income from this is House Merovech, and you've already seen our stance regarding them."

"Not just Merovech," Nkeoma said. "Algara as well, or has the Highest King ceased taxing the income of his vassals? If I am nay mistaken, this trade route generates a significant portion of western Althandor's product to the royal treasury."

Jin gave Enfri a look. "She is not wrong. This will be an issue."

Enfri could only hope Maya would be open to ceding the road to her. She'd hate to surrender control of trade through Shan Alee's one thoroughfare. The Tourmaline Knights were telling her the empire's future incomes were going to be thin as it was. Enfri would have liked to tell Nkeoma that Shan Alee was going to have an understanding with the next ruler of the Five Kingdoms, but her allegiance to Maya was still a secret.

Winds, but it's too early in the morning to think about finances. Enfri opted to take the coward's way out of the subject. "This is one of many issues that I'm sure Princess Pacifica will bring up during the negotiations with your brother and sister. But for now, all we truly ask of Omolade and Zoputan is that they stop their aggressions against the people of Sandharbor and the surrounding area."

Nkeoma frowned, but Enfri didn't think it was directed towards her. "Yes, I feel we are agreed on that, Majesty. Our father has taught mine sister to be ruthless when she must, but I judge her actions here to stink of desperation, not of calculation."

Enfri blinked in surprise yet again. A quick glance revealed Jin was similarly effected.

Nkeoma caught their reactions. "Nay act so incredulous, Your Majesty. As has been made abundantly clear to me, conflict with your Shan Alee invariably proves to be a far more costly enterprise than it is worth. Melcia opposes you solely on principle of racial heritage, but it has been known that principles are oft called upon to change with the times. To speak mine position clearly, you are nay the only one here who wishes to avoid a war."

Enfri allowed herself a hopeful smile.

"I wish you luck in your excursion north, Your Majesty," Nkeoma said with a curtsy. "I pray you tread carefully. The Reach is a part of Melcia only by the lines on a map. It is an untamed land, and hydras are nay the greatest of its dangers."

Enfri's smile faded and was replaced by a wince. "So I've been hearing."

"There are gorillas," Nkeoma said gravely.

"What in the king's name is a gorilla?"

"Imagine a monkey the size of an aurochs and the disposition of a fangblade."

Enfri had heard Deebee mention "monkeys" before, and she still didn't have the slightest idea of what one was. Only that Deebee was liable to compare humans to them whenever anyone called her a lizard. Did that mean monkeys were little man-like animals? What an odd and disturbing notion. And these gorillas sounded to be many times worse.

"I'll give them a wide berth if I see one," she promised.

"Mayhaps I can offer you a tour of the Adezu Menagerie upon your first state visit to Melcia," Nkeoma said. "The ape exhibit is credited as the finest of its kind in the known world, and it is the last place east of the Li Lung Mountains one may find living elephants."

Enfri wasn't sure what all those words meant, so she just nodded along and said she'd be delighted to accept. Whatever a "menagerie" or an "ape exhibit" was didn't matter to her half so much as the fact Nkeoma was offering courtesies as if they were likely to happen one day. And elephants? Enfri couldn't shake the thought that Nkeoma was just making up words at that point.

Jin bowed her head. "We appreciate it, Nkeoma."

"Nay thank me yet, little viper," Nkeoma replied with a smirk. "It is mine sister you must convince, and you are as aware as I am of her obstinance."

"And afterwards, we might discuss this... pejorative... your house addresses me with."

"Pejorative?" Nkeoma gasped in feigned offense. "It is what we name all daughters of House Algara. A term of the highest endearment, Your Highness. The littlest vipers are the cutest, after all. And the most deadly."

Jin seemed unconvinced, and Enfri covered her mouth when Jin shot a look her way.

"But I delay you," Nkeoma continued. "Farewell, Your Majesty, Your Highness. I will seek out Lord Bannlyth and hear of the arrangements for mine return to the Crescent Legion."

Enfri thanked her again and walked her to the door, where Nkeoma was received by her angels and escorted away from the homestead. Once she was well down the road, Enfri turned to find Jin with a pensive look on her face. "You look worried again. Don't you think that went better than expected?"

Jin gave her head a shake. "It did. I only doubt Omolade will be as accommodating."

"Probably not, to be honest," Enfri sighed. "At the least, if Nkeoma pitches in with the negotiations, Pacifica will have a lot easier of a time avoiding another fight. As it stands, we don't need an alliance with House Akazewi today, but neither side benefits from us snapping at each other. Like we kept getting told, the real enemy is stirring. I just want Shan Alee to still be standing when it's over."

Jin nodded. "I understand, my heart. Now, Kolbat and Darva must be waiting. I will see you off."

Enfri let herself be ushered out of the cottage before what Jin said fully registered. "See me off? Jin, aren't you coming?"

Shutting the door behind them, Jin hesitated before pushing Enfri along up the path. "You... wish me to go?"

"Winds and storms, have we had another breakdown in communication? Of course I want you with me."

Jin looked to the ground. "Forgive me, but I assumed you would not benefit from a royal assassin at your side."

"Drat," Enfri muttered. "I see what you mean. These Aleesh live in the wilds with hydras and gorillas to hide from assassins, so it won't exactly endear me to them if I show up with one on my arm."

Jin swallowed, and her voice had a slight tremor to it. "We mustn't make this more complicated, my heart. My presence would be a detriment to your goals, and I will be of greater worth here. You will be guarded by one of the finest crews and strongest dragons in your empire, and Lady Kolbat has impressed me at every turn with her ability. I have no fear for your safety."

Enfri didn't like it at all. Not in the least. She might have been just taking the idea of Jin coming north with her for granted, but she absolutely abhorred the idea of being away from her for so long. "We haven't been apart more than a couple days before."

"I fear it will not be the last time, nor the longest."

Enfri gasped.

"The realities of being who we are, my heart. The world seldom waits on what we wish."

They came up on where Darva the Corsair was just finishing up having his battle regalia put in place. Darva had a smaller crew than Deebee, just sixteen. Kolbat's first and second officers were already at their posts in the harness. Finally, the last two additions to the crew were being taken through the basics of moving about with snap-locks and tethers. Odjualla Weaver, a were and native of the Reach Enclave, had agreed to guide Enfri to her former home, and Landon Marchand was coming to represent the Aleesh already under Enfri's protection.

As the passengers climbed aboard his back, Darva had his head lowered to converse with his Pearl Knight. The two chuckled softly to themselves as they gazed at each other adoringly. Kolbat was in her own version of a uniform, the dark green coat cut short until it was little more than a jacket, and tied off above her waist rather than fastened. Greasepaint had been smeared over her blue eyes, and her black hair was bound with a length of twine.

"I will say one thing, my heart," Jin said in a low voice. "Darva and Kolbat are as close to wed as a dragon and human can be. Try not to flirt with her."

Enfri wrinkled her nose. "Winds, I didn't plan to."

"As you say, but I feel I've come to learn your type." She gestured in the general direction of Kolbat's toned abdomen.

"I'll have you know that Kolbat's already seen and had her hands all over me naked, and it's been entirely professional. Besides, I'm not about to insert myself between lovers or step out behind your back. That's just rude."

Jin kept her eyes ahead. "I am more concerned if the Aleesh in the Reach dress in the same manner as Elise. Your behavior with Reyn led me to think you are hopeless when confronted with bare flesh."

Enfri stopped short and planted her fists on her hips. "Are you trying to get under my skin? Make me any less sad about being away from you?"

Jin smirked. "Is it working?"

"No," Enfri declared. "A little, but even if you sent me off thinking you were the absolute worst person in the Five Kingdoms, nothing would ever make me wish you weren't with me."

Jin swallowed again, keeping a lid on her emotions. She touched Enfri's face and bent to press their foreheads together. "And there is nowhere I would rather be. I love you, my heart. I always will, as long as I live."

The reality that this was a goodbye was becoming all too real. Enfri put her arms around Jin's neck and held on tightly as if to deny fate. She was unprepared for a separation. Enfri would've needed at least three more days and a lengthy crying session or two before she could even consider being prepared.

"When I get back," she whispered, "let's have that talk I kept putting off. I promise I'll be ready for it."

Jin's eyes were closed as she nodded.

"I was thinking... if it's a boy, we could name him Roan?"

Jin sobbed, a sudden sound that nearly started Enfri crying as well. It might've been a mistake to suggest they name a son for Jin's slain brother. When Jin opened her eyes and gave Enfri a bright smile through her tears, Enfri's worries were brushed aside.

"A family, you and I?"

Enfri chewed her lip as she nodded. "I do want that. With you. Now that I've been... enlightened... on some specifics of how to do it." She rose up on her toes for a brief parting kiss. "I want to work towards this, but there's still some things I need to sort through about my feelings first." She reached up to wipe a tear from Jin's cheek. "But just so you know, I'm going to carry the baby."

"My heart, you will not take this from me. I wish for the experience of being pregnant."

"See? Things to talk about when I come back, or we're liable to have one each."

"I would not be adverse to that," Jin laughed. "But if we stop at just two, I'll be disappointed."

Enfri practically had to tear herself away. She released her grip on Jin and pulled back. "One step at a time, my light. I'm selfish, too. I'm going to want you all to myself for a bit before I'm forced to share."

Jin sniffled and took a step back also. "You've made me happier than I ever deserved to be. Stay safe, Enfri. If you get a bad feeling, I want you to come back at once."

"I'm not expecting trouble," Enfri said to assure her.

"Nevertheless, that is when trouble most often comes. We know little of how these Aleesh are— how likeminded they are to the old empire. It may be that they will not see peace with Althandor as a worthy goal."

Enfri reached up and took hold of the rope ladder hanging from Darva's side. When she reached his back, Kolbat's first officer cried out that an Opal Knight had come aboard, and the crew snapped to attention. Enfri looked down at Jin and raised a hand in farewell. "I'll be careful."

Jin nodded. "I hope it will be as you wish it to be. Just come back to me soon."

Enfri settled into her place on the harness, to the saddle's left opposite the first officer. It felt strange for a number of reasons; not taking the rider's position, having a dragon other than Deebee beneath her, and being surrounded by an unfamiliar crew with their own unfamiliar rituals. The fin-like sail that ran down Darva's back was also going to take some getting used to.

Once Kolbat came aboard and got in the saddle, Darva beat his wings and kicked off into the sky. He pointed his nose north, towards Melcia and the Reach.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2K 144 42
At a certain juncture of time in the Middle Ages. A tyrannical king ruled his kingdom with an iron fist. His every whim was law, and his subjects liv...
14.2K 1.9K 49
Even teen evil queens need love. Right? (Or at least a handsome sword-fighting minion to do their bidding!) *** Bad things happen when Rowen is aroun...
4.2K 1.8K 51
Cover by: @Caitlyn-Blayne "After the great war, King Archeron, who was not yet a king, was the obvious choice to be the monarch of Avenlea. He poss...
135 6 10
My chest filled with a searing pain, matching the intensity of the tremors of the earth. I had to go home to make sure my Ma and Pa were okay. .... ...