Path to Deciduous (Sequel to...

By nada_dehni

The sequel to Road to Evergreen. The truth will set you free... but first it will piss you off. The secrets t... More

o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
F o u r t e e n
F i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
T w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
t h i r t y - e i g h t
t h i r t y - n i n e
f o u r t y
f o u r t y - o n e
f o u r t y - t w o
f o u r t y - t h r e e
f o r t y - f i v e
f o u r t y - f o u r
f o u r t y - f i v e
f o u r t y - s i x
f o u r t y - s e v e n
f o u r t y - e i g h t
f o u r t y - n i n e
f i f t y
f i f t y - t w o
Sequel: Song of Abiding

f i f t y - o n e

749 23 1
By nada_dehni

Sweet creature - Harry Styles
You Are The Reason- Calum Scott

***
Lesley's POV

It took me four hours to get to my car. When I did, I searched for my keys but only realized they might have been buried in the dirt back under the tree house. I could see my phone vibrating from the car window. 5 missed calls from Adam. 20 missed calls from Spencer and a dozen from my mother. I frown; this is odd. Why is everyone so worried about me if they don't even know anything about me?

I haven't been in contact with any for days. I lean on the side of the door, resting my foot and waiting for any stranger to jog by. My phone vibrates again. It's Megan. A text message follows. I squint my eyes as I try reading it from the car seat.

Something bad happened. You need to get to NHH right away.

My heart starts racing. I need to get there both ways. After absorbing my situation with bloody legs and on the verge of fainting, I grab a rock, almost crawl to the window again, and smash it with every ounce of energy I have left. A sudden crash fills the air, as it shatters down. I lean forward and grab my phone as I scrub off the glass, nibbling at my fingers.

I dial Megan.

"Lesley where the hell have you been? We've been worried sick." She says over the phone.

"Who's we?" I ask.

"Me, Spencer, your mother, and brother." She says. My face falls instantly.

"And Adam?" I say, disappointed.

"He would've but he's in surgery now." She says. My heart drops. Everything races through my head, preventing me to formulate a word. I scream instead.

"Pick me up, right now. I'm sending you the location. Hury!" I yell over the phone and hang up. I'm too scared to ask why and how and where. Not ready to hear the answer back.

Thiry minutes later, I'm automatically put in a trolley as we arrive at the hospital. Lights blink at me from the celling and my body fails me. I have a sudden urge of blacking out but I resist, demanding to see Adam.

"I need to see Adam!" I order the nurse. No one replies as they continue mumbling words: "A broken leg. She lost a lot of blood. It's cut deep. How did she manage walking?"

"I need to see Adam!" I yell at everyone. They keep ignoring me. "I said, I need to see Adam!" I struggle to get out of the grip, so I shake wanting to get away. "I need to see Adam!" I scream.

That's when a sharp needle enters my arm and the last thing I remember is Megan's petty smile.

****

"How do you get from one to ten?" He asks.

"How do you get from the earth to the moon?" I ask back.

He frowns. "With a rocket?"

I smile. "Time." I eat the last piece of strawberry and let its sweet flavor burst in my mouth. I gather the plates and forks on the table and head to he kitchen, placing them in the silver sink.

I can hear his footsteps behind me. "What if you don't have time?" His rusty voice echoes behind me.

I face him and place my elbows on the kitchen counter. "What if you have?" I arch an eyebrow.

He smirks. "Then again, what if you don't?" He challenges.

"Time may never be measured. Only you can put a limit to it." I reply.

"What if time put a limit to herself?" He keeps going.

"How do you know it's girl? Could be a boy."

He lets out a faint of a laugh and starts taking slow steps toward me. "It's ambiguous, naïve, unreal and stubborn. Kind of reminds me of a particular female." I feel his warm breath caressing my skin. He reaches and removes a stroke dangling in front of my face.

I smile. "Why do all of our conversation end up in flirting?"

He smiles back. "Because everything reminds me of you."

I raise my eyebrows. "Mmm, simple but provocative. Well done." I clap slowly.

He laughs. But not any laugh. The head back, shoulders slouched, and eyes shut kind of a laugh.

"That frame of laughter reminds me of the tree house. You stopped playing. Why?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "To be honest, I just haven't had the time too. With everything going on, I guess I put it on hold."

I smile. "Play something for me."

He smiles back, amused. He grabs a pen and paper. "Would you like to order something else, madam?" He mimics a waiter.

I cross my arms in front of my chest. "No, that would be all."

He nods. "I'll be right back with your order."

I can't help but grin as he stumbles back to the kitchen with his guitar.

"Your order is ready, madam. May you please take a seat." He tells me.

I climb on the kitchen counter and arch an eyebrow at him. "Proceed."

He laughs and then places his fingers onto the strings. They start vibrating as a melody fills the room. I close my eyes, and tilt my head back, letting it all in.

a little kid came to me and asked me
do you love me?
I looked straight in the mirror
trying to look a little clearer
have you meet me?
taken back with his stare
how do you even dare?
I grabbed the nearest rock and threw it above
then it flew back to me

a little kid came to me and asked me
do you love me?
I looked straight in the mirror
trying to look a little clearer
are you here to save me?
my heart fluttered as her hand took mine
she said come with me I will show you
i love you
***

Adam's POV

She didn't come. She didn't even send flowers. If only she knew.

A little kid came to me and asked me
do you love me?

I sing a little, assuring my self that my voice is still there when my arm isn't.

"Knock, knock!" Lucian storms in. He glares at my wrapped arm again. "I'm going to get you the best microphone. No more hiding behind a guitar."

My jaw tenses. "I'm not a kid anymore. Shit happens, My UCL elbow ligament broke. They replaced it. Till I heal, I'm fine with tossing my what's so called dreams anyway." I exhale. "Now give me a fucking cigarette."

He grabs some tissues and drops water on it forming a soaking ball. He grabs the nearby chair and drifts it under the fire alarm. He places the tissues around it, making sure it sticks and afterwards a cigarette is handed to me.

I lean back after the first inhale, still wondering why there isn't any fucking flowers. "How fucking shallow!" I slam the table beside me.

Lucian frowns. "Yeah, it was shallow. Bullet went straight in." He mocks.

My jaw tenses. "I hope Spencer is kicking the shit out of Riley. Always the cause for fucking trouble. Just put him in rehab."

Lucian's face turns into a shock. "Adam, if tables were turned we would've probably done the same. Even worse maybe."

I exhale. "It's handing over a gun to a kid, seriously. Have your aim right."

We both turn to the door as a nurse knocks and enters. I turn off the cigarette with the side of the bed. My face falls as I realize it's not Lesley entering. Not even flowers!

"The police is outside. They are waiting to take your testimony, if you are feeling any better." Her full lips say. She smells the smoke but is too intimidated by me to say anything more.

I smirk. "That won't be necessary. We are leaving anyways." I remove the blanket covering me.

"You can't." She instantly says. "You need at least a night under probation. When the numbness is gone, your arm will hurt like f... crazy." She stumbles with her words but corrects them immediately. Lucian and I smile.

"I will get doctors to watch him at home. I managed everything. Don't crazy worry." Lucian says. yeah, marijuana is a form of medicine.

She blushes. I feel defensive right away. I don't even trust him yet and imagining after this encounter he would fuck her anywhere, I clear my throat. "Let's go." I demand.

He nods as my eyes turn ice. Lucian opens the door for me as the nurse moves to the side for us to pass. To our left, the officers eyes follow us. I nod. "Officers." I walk away.

He tries to stop me by blabbing out. "Sir, you need to...," But my eyes frown instantly as a glance of a millisecond passes of Lesley across a door. I instantly shove the door open.

There she is. Laying on the hospital bed.

Not even flowers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.8K 2.2K 58
Sequel Is here! TRIGGER WARNING The bad boy falls in love with an old friend. Their lives start crumbling. They are bearly able to control the relati...
926K 28.8K 44
Emma White never had the perfect life. Her mother died giving birth to her, her father was always working and never gave her attention, but when she...
7.6M 410 5
***Please note that this book has been taken down because it's been published and only the sample chapters of the published version are available on...
STOLEN By Emgie

Fanfiction

106K 3.8K 49
FIND THE SEQUEL, GONE, HERE: https://my.w.tt/cT2POG3u0K Jason McCann is a local criminal in Oakland, Maryland. Chelsea Hall is the daughter of the Ch...