Darkest Dawn

By moonkeeper

Briana has travelled back in time and woken up in the body of a princess. She needs to adapt to her new life... More

Chosen by the Storm
Lunch with the Royals
Her Handsome Guard
Life as a Princess
Trapped Little Dove
Westferry Riots
Prince Charming
A Carpet of Flowers
52 Souls
Icarus
The Cuckold
A Pheasant named Alan
A Terrible Job
Lion Cubs
Too Young to Die
Checkmate
240 Bedrooms
#everythingsfine
The Church Bells
An Erebus Hostage
Scarlet Dawn
Let's Play Pretend
Elias, The Mask
Cowards and Monsters
The Tower
Rich Kids
Strangle the Cubs
The Slaying of the Beast
The Heirs
Monkey Boy
Snowfall
The Interview
Treading on Diamonds
Abel's Fool
The Girl in the Mirror
Emily's World
Sweet Dreams

So Cold

74 8 0
By moonkeeper

Barleysworn stepped forward. He'd removed his helmet completely and Briana was surprised by his dark hair, reseeding but still thick. She supposed the revolution would quicken the grey...

"Hand her over." He commanded sternly. 

Some of the women hissed in revulsion and one caught Dreadlocks' arm.

"We should kill her."

Dreadlocks was shoved aside and Briana yanked from her grasp. Briana wheezed, a fist having thumped her stomach – knocking the air from her lungs. She hunched over, gasping to catch her breath and the crowd cheered. Rough hands forced her to her knees and restrained her arms. She'd lost sight of Dreadlocks completely – the surging throng had swallowed her up. The wind beat Briana's hair against her back and cold mud seeped through her jeans.

"Behead her in front of them!"

"Release her!" Barleysworn barked over the storm. He signalled and the security agents raised their guns.

"No!" Briana's eyes widened in the fear. Her hair was pulled back, exposing her throat, but she fought against the hold - trying valiantly to keep Barleysworn in view. "Don't shoot!" She screamed over at him. "Lower your guns now!" Not a single gun lowered. Briana grit her teeth and yanked her hair free. "I order you to stand down! DO NOT HARM THEM!" 

Barleysworn was staring at her – flint flaring in his eyes.

"Release the girl." He commanded the mob once more.

"No one is dying because of me!" Briana shrieked. 

The crowd jostled, losing its grip on her. Briana was struck in the back of the head - immediate pain split across her skull and she put her hands out to catch herself from falling forward. A foot came upon her hand, deliberately stamping hard. Briana cried out, biting her tongue and spitting blood across the rain sodden grass.

"It's the Erebus bitch!" The cry went up and Briana joined the others in looking up at the veranda. 

Antonia was struggling against security that were trying to hold her back from the edge.

"Emily?!" Antonia called out. 

Briana's heart throbbed in her chest. Antonia was exposing herself to the mob to try and protect her daughter. Not realising I'm a complete fake. 

The crowd surged toward the veranda, braying for her blood. "Emily!" Antonia screeched, scanning for Emily amongst the packed lawn - her face pale and frightened.

Their eyes locked and guilt felt like lead in Briana's stomach. "Let my daughter go – I beg you!"

"WHORE!"

"EREBUS SLUT!" 

The screaming became a wall of incomprehensible noise. Antonia was saying something but it was completely drowned out. Then the crowd started to throw things. More security piled out onto the veranda and quickly shielded Antonia, dragging her away from danger.

Briana was trembling so bad that her body was convulsing in fear. The crowd was now hysterical. Roaring in frustration they turned on her. Briana curled into a ball, protecting her head as the women kicked her repeatedly – attacking any part of her they could find. Briana was sobbing – pain and fear had overtaken any rational part of her mind.

"Hold your fire!" A new voice commanded, barking over a megaphone. The kicking stopped and Briana held very still. 

Everything hurt – breathing hurt. She let her head slump against the grass. Her blood had mingled with the mud and rain – perhaps she'd drown in it... There was a lot of noise. Through the gap in feet, Briana got a partial view of what was happening. She saw an army – an army of civilians with red and black sashes around their arms. They had better weapons then the mob.

Briana's vision swam in and out of focus. She was so cold – the rain seemed to have seeped bone deep.

"Are you with us or against us?" A woman in crowd spoke up. 

Briana's heart hammered in her chest as the man with the mega phone came into view. She lifted her head slightly, wincing, to get more of him in sight. 

Abel wasn't wearing a coat. The rain had plastered his clothing to his lithe body and his hair spilt over his eyes. He had a gun slung across his back.

"With you." The National Army aimed its weapons at the Erebus security force. Abel moved beyond her sight line as he approached the mansion. "Surrender and no more blood need be shed." There was an agonising pause. 

Briana was seized by the crowd once more, but this time she staggered- her head spinning. She ended up still kneeling on the ground with her attackers holding her upright. She looked around blearily for Abel but couldn't see him.

The security agents lowered their weapons.

"The Princeps," Barleysworn spoke up, his deep voice travelling easily, "entrusts himself and his family... to his good subjects."

"We'll escort the Erebus' to Probitatis." The crowd cheered Abel's words. "They will stand before the people!" 

Barleysworn made his way through the hostile throng and over to Briana. She stared up at his approach. He'd be a big part of the new government eventually – she guessed a lot of side changes were going to occur...

Reluctantly the crowd let her go. Barleysworn didn't pick her up, as Troy would have done, instead he helped her to her feet. Her back protested and she sucked in a breath of pain. She leant on his arm and tried to walk quickly – wanting to get far away from her attackers.

As she limped toward the house, her eyes met Abel's and she paused. The storm died around them. The wind dropped leaving her hair damp and wilted and the rain dissipated, no longer masking her tears. The air smelt fresh, cleansed by the tempest. Abel stared at her and she wished she understood his expression. What does he think of me now? Her heart ached uneasily in her bruised chest.

Abel and half a dozen of his crew followed them back into Eros house. Briana cringed at the sight of the entrance hall. It was like a hurricane had torn through the building. The landing creaked above and they looked up to see the Princeps rushing down the steps toward them. Abel stood stiffly and stepped forward to greet the dictator.

"Princeps," he greeted but Richard ignored him completely. Barleysworn gave up supporting her so that father and daughter could hug.

"I'm fine." Briana spoke softly, not trusting her voice.

"This is my fault." Richard pulled back and scanned her bruised and bloody face. Briana smiled sadly and shook her head.

"No it's not." 

He hugged her again, being careful to be gentle. Over his shoulder she caught sight of Abel. A vein was pulsating in his neck.

"You must come with us." Abel commanded sternly. At last the Princeps turned to face the young man.

"My daughter needs medical attention." Richard's tone was clipped. Briana frowned worriedly. Abel could be a good ally for the Princeps – he shouldn't be isolating him.

"I'm fine." Briana interrupted. She took a deep steadying breath and faced Abel. "Thank you." He wouldn't look at her.

"You have no reason to thank me." So he hates me...I guess that's understandable. 

"You stopped any more bloodshed." She kept her tone formal, following his lead of pretending not to know each other. "My family and I are grateful." She was aware that she had everyone's attention but tried not to be intimated. "Please give me a few minutes to wash and get changed. My little brother will get scared if he sees me like this." Abel nodded stiffly. She smiled though he was still refusing to look at her.

She made to go up the stairs and Barleysworn was quick to take her arm in assistance. To her surprise one of Abel's men took her other arm. He was young – probably not much older than Emily. He smiled reassuringly and Briana smiled back. 

They helped her to her bedroom, leaving her once she was safely inside. Broken glass crunched underfoot as she made her way to the wardrobe. She was going to grab the first clothing she came across but she hesitated. 

Even just her appearance could make a powerful statement...

*

"They're here." Aaron (the boy that helped Briana to her room) murmured softly to Abel.

"Finally." 

The family had taken long enough and the crowd outside was getting restless. Aaron was pale faced and quiet. He'd gone through the house and seen... the bodies. Abel had investigated only a couple of rooms but he'd closed the eyes of those he'd come across. 

Abel turned now to look up at the entrance of the Erebus family and his lips parted in surprise.

Briana led the family. All traces of blood and mud washed away - she didn't look so badly hurt but even so bruises were beginning to show on her face and arms. Abel frowned. She was wearing a smart office style dress with sensible flat shoes and a fitted black jacket. She didn't look like a victim or a child – she looked like she was heading to work. 

She nodded at him, her expression showing no hint of all that they had been together. She didn't look like the Briana he'd thought he'd known. She looked like the Princeps' heir.

She stopped on the last step and faced him.

"I should have introduced myself." She held out her hand for him. Abel took it, feeling numb. "My name's Emily Erebus." Their eyes locked and he read the meaning in her gaze. This was an apology.

"Abel Farshadow." It was like a cruel dream.

"I look forward to us working together, Mr Farshadow."

"Likewise, Miss Erebus."

Their hands dropped and Abel immediately missed the heat of her touch.

"Please follow me." He led the way to the car waiting for them. Abel's men closed in around them, shielding them from the rowdy crowd. 

Abel couldn't get his head around this new reality. Everything had changed. He wasn't just a writer anymore. He had an army now. The curtains had raised on the stage and Abel had no idea on the role he was to play. Briana's arm brushed against his. He remembered the first day they'd met. He hadn't had to tell her his name. 'I know who you are... you're kind of my hero.' She was in the performance too but as she stood beside him, head held high – he felt that unlike him-she'd gotten a copy of the script.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 102 12
๐Ÿ’•๐‘ฉ๐‘น๐‘ฐ๐‘จ๐‘ตร—๐‘น๐‘ฌ๐‘จ๐‘ซ๐‘ฌ๐‘น๐Ÿ’• ๐€ ๐ก๐ฎ๐ฆ๐›๐ฅ๐ž ๐ข๐ฆ๐š๐ ๐ข๐ง๐ž ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐œ๐จ๐ง๐ฌ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ฌ ๐จ๐Ÿ ๐ญ๐ž๐ง ๐œ๐ก๐š๐ฉ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ๐ฌ. ๐ˆ ๐ก๐จ๐ฉ๐ž ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐œ๐š๐ง ๐ž๐ง๐ฃ๐จ...
213K 12K 56
**Completed** Alia de Luca wants revenge. When her best friend is murdered, she swears to find and get even with the people who are responsible. F...
3.6K 209 50
"Can I ask you a question?" She stares into my eyes, "What?" "If you had a chance to get revenge, or even justice, for something or someone that mat...
4.2K 509 22
After totalling her SUV in an accident, ER nurse Kyna wakes up as a prisoner in a mysterious world. Can she melt the cold heart of the enigmatic Elve...