Project: Karma

By WeiMei_

Nagisa Shiota, is 17 year old girl who enjoys the sciences and loves participating in laboratories. One day... More

01 | My Butterfly
02 | Project: Karma
03 | Records
04 | Subjects of the Facility
05 | Meeting Karma
06 | Scientists
07 | His Heart
08 | Outside the Cage
09 | Freedom In Our Hands
10 | Real Me
11 | New Bonds
12 | Crushing Heart
13 | Mock My Love
14 | Reflection of Me
15 | Nursing the Heart
16 | Man Who Challenges Me
17 | Goodbye Past
18 | Cupid's Arrow
19 | Loveless
20 | This Is Us
21 | The Heart Speaks
22 | Lovely Nagisa
23 | Lucky One
24 | Love Square
25 | Depths of Love
26 | Classified Files
27 | Affection
28 | 1 Day
29 | Timeless Thoughts
30 | Dearest Ambitions
31 | Ticking Away
32 | A Mirror's Reflection
33 | Project: Grim Reaper
34 | Dark Truth
35 | Once Human
36 | Hidden Secrets
37 | His Past
38 | Temptation
39 | Stripped Away
40 | My Fight
41 | Remember Me
42 | Erased
43 | Rainy Day
44 | Inner Peace
45 | Frail Bones
46 | Under the Stars
47 | Day and Night
48 | Sleep and Sirens
49 | A Gift From Him
50 | A Chance With You
51 | Partners in Crime
52 | To Risk It All
53 | Godless
54 | Broken Soul
55 | Reset
56 | Comes and Goes
57 | Don't Jinx It.
58 | Birth and Tears
59 | Simple Living
60 | Momma's Stories
61 | Love Found in the Dead
62 | You're Beautiful
63 | Glass Wall
64 | The Spirit Of Him
65 | Finally Home
66 | Ultimate Sacrifice
67 | Treasuring Love
68 | Live and Love
69 | The Promise
70 | Our Life
71 | Red Signal
72 | Nagisa's Secret
73 | My Parents
74 | How We Came to Be
76 | A Name to Remember
77 | The Sound of Rain
78 | Our Hearts Connected
79 | Entangled
80 | Our World
81 | Days In Counting
82 | Cold Winter
83 | Project: Koro-Sensei
84 | Me Within Your Arms
85 | Time Stamp
86 | Spring Warmth
87 | When the Petal Falls
88 | The Age of Youth
89 | Crawling Dreams
90 | A Whisper To Life
91 | Golden Sparks and Memories
Author's Notes
Season 2 | 01 Chocolate Kiss
S2 | 02 New Years
S2 | 03 Sunset Across the Horizon
S2 | 04 Sweet Siblings

75 | Little One Who Calls Me

825 41 33
By WeiMei_

<Naki>
This morning, I woke up late. But a glint of uneasiness and carelessness somehow ruined my mood.
You would think that my good upbringing would have at least made me into a decent guy who wouldn't oversleep and had their life together but I was like everyone else.

"Naki! Hurry up! You'll miss the 1st train!" Momma shouted from downstairs and I saw Papa poke his head through the door.

"Bags all set down stairs. Just remember to grab the toast on the table on your way." He reminded me.

"T-thanks papa."

"You okay sport? You look rather-"

"It's nothing really." I threw on my uniform and ignored that I didn't change my undershirt. Papa nodded his head and left.

I slipped on my pants, brushed my teeth and and washed my face.

I tripped a few times bolting down the stairs, but never managed to fall completely face first on the ground. I found my bag and grabbed it by the straps and as I was already out the door. I forgot my breakfast.
Well, guess I'll have to wait until lunch.

Im a fast runner overall, so catching up to the trains wasn't the problem. It was when the trains themselves are overpacked and you have to deal with the squishing and pushing.

"Yo! Naki!" Daichi and Haruki were already ahead of me. I quickened my pace until I caught up to them.
I was low key admiring Haruki and his new high school uniform and he looked much older because of it. He was the cool looking one. He had the blue blazer while Daichi and I wore out all black uniform.

"What's up." I hung over trying to retake my normal breaths. "Morning."

"First day back to school and you're already starting late streaks aren't you?" Haruki teased me and patted my back.

"Morning!" Daichi slapped my back, "hell of a runner aren't you? You made it with 2 minutes to spare." He sounded like it was an accomplishment.

"2nd year of Junior high, you ready?" Daichi asked we boarded the train.

I nodded my head, I did feel a bit uneasy though. I recently turned 14 two months ago, so you could say that I practically prepared myself.

"You'll do fine." Haruki spoke.

In the corner of my eyes, I saw a group of girls casting their eyes at Haruki and whispering. Yes, he turned out to be a ladies man. At least that's how Papa described it. Daichi even makes fun of him and jokes around about it, but even so, he's pretty popular too and for me? I don't know.

"See yeah." Haruki said his goodbyes as he departed the train. His stop is first before ours and Daichi and I had two more stops to go. Eventually as the passengers gradually got off at the other stops, the train became less crowded.

"Think we'll be in the same class?" Daichi brought up, "wouldn't it be cool if we did?"

"It never happens." I sighed, "but yeah, I wouldn't mind." I agreed.

Then, something tapped the back of my shoulder. I turned around and Daichi faced the same direction. Until we saw the girl who was behind me.

"Um, Akabane?"

"Uh...yes?"

Not before long, I had recognized this girl. She was in my class last year and we were also partners during class duty. Her name was Tachibana, Keiko. I had realized that her hair has grown longer too, that it made her seem more feminine than before.

"I saw you dashing for the train again." She giggled lightly, "always late aren't you?"

"It has become a habit." I nodded my head.

"I'm guessing you didn't manage to eat either?"
I shook my head in dismay.

"Unfortunately not. I'll probably just wait until lunch." I explained.

Keiko reached into her cute pink school bags and dug around. Both Daichi and I wondered what that was about. But he nudged my arm.

"I know this won't fill you up, but at least it will curb your hunger for now." Keiko lightly placed a warm wrapped onigiri in my hand and slightly blushed.

"Thanks..." I bowed my head, the least I could do when someone had offered me food.

"N-no, it's alright. I did make a few extras!" She frantically spoke, "can't have you start school with an empty stomach." She gleamed.

"Yeah thanks, Keiko." I smiled back.

She nodded her head and after that, pranced back over to her group of friends, who were watching us in the distance.

While I was distracted by the group of girls, Daichi hung his arm around my shoulder and leaned on me.

"You're a man now." He said.

"Huh? What are you talking about?"
••••••
After the opening ceremony, the speeches, and all the paperwork, the halls flooded with students trying to run along to their classes.
At least for today, it wasn't our official day. This was a mock school day so that students could greet the teachers. This was also the time when students socialized.

"Aren't we lucky?" Daichi pointed at our names on the overly extending poster. I ran my finger along my name under the class E-1 list. Some people I did recognize, the rest, not so much.

"Nakaru, Daichi."

Both of us clocked our heads and saw the Tomohito Twins. Benjiro and Hinata always have this kind of reserved embodiment they take on. Benjiro only speaks when he needs to and Hinata talks whenever wants to. Most occasions, they wouldn't speak at all but only to each other.

"Good morning." Hinata nodded her head.

"Morning." Daichi and I said in a unison.

We stared at Benjiro thinking that he would greet us too, but he ended up bowing his head.

"Are you guys going to meet the teachers?" Hinata asked.

"Nah, we're skipping that. We'll figure things out tomorrow." Daichi slacked.

"Hinata, we must get going." Benjiro placed his hand on Hinata's shoulder.

"Right okay, see you guys."

Then they both left. Daichi looked at me and shrugged nonchalantly. After, he started walking down the halls and I followed behind him. The sounds of footsteps, conversations, chairs squeaking across the floor. Desk squealing as people moved them across the classrooms.

Students zipped by while racing down the halls and at the end of it. You could here the teachers scolding them.
I looked out the wide windows and saw the teams accumulating for the season. Coaches and team managers welcoming the new and the regulars.

"Nakaru."

I faced forward and Daichi raised a brow, "you okay? You're venturing off." He pointed out.

"I guess you could say that." I distanced myself from the window and walked beside him. I wasn't in a great mood, nor a bad one. Something just wasn't sticking to me right.

"It's weird isn't it? That in two years, well be high school students." Daichi sighed while changing the subject.

"Yeah, time is flying." I agreed.

"Haruki and the Karasuma's will be out when we get there. Sucks doesn't it? I would of loved teasing the heck out of them." Daichi laughed.

"You would." I forced a chuckle.

I stare off into the dead halls and watched as everything became smaller as we walked farther. Out the windows we had passed, students were running around with enthusiasm and shouting at the top of their lungs.
I really hope this year treats me well.
••••
"You're really out of it aren't you?" Daichi pinched my arm while we walked out of the school.

"I don't know, I really don't know." I replied.

"Love sick? Was it the girl on the train?" He asked.

"N-no!" I choked on my words.

"Tsk. Then what is it?" He slugged and patted my back, "ever since this morning you seemed different." He brought up.

"Hormones?" I questioned.

"Nah, you're too young. You're too young." He laughed along and that did make me laugh a bit too.

We rode the train back and managed to see Haruki getting on. He waved at the two of us, but he looked busy with the group of friends he was with. There was two guys and a girl, chattering away. Haruki was becoming more grown up and that made me feel annoyed.

I don't know why I was feeling this way. These depressing thoughts devoured me and I hated how it made me feel so crappy.
Eventually we got off the train, Haruki and Daichi wandered off in their own direction home and I, the same.

While I was strolling, I was coming up to my old grade school. The building still has its delicate white creamed walls and the cherry bloom that was at the center. I found myself staring off into the school yard as little kids were leaving with parents.

By then I figured out why I was irritated all day. I'm scared of growing up.
When I was younger I had to because of Mama... I was desperate to make her happy. Until Papa came along, all those responsibilities flushed away. I didn't realize it back then, but I lost those precious moments. I didn't regret my decisions though, but now I want some of it back.

"Big brother!"

"Huh?" I turned my head and saw a small girl with purple pig tails diving into my arms with a blur. I fell backwards from the weight of the girl and found myself on the cement ground.
Ouch, that hurt a little.

"Big brother!"

I looked up and saw that it was Namari in her little grade school uniform. She gleamed in delight and hugged me tightly.

"Hey Mari." I patted her back and she giggled.

"Big brother, you look sad." She said with concern. "Smile."

"No, that's not it."

"Like this." She gleamed and poked my cheek.

Something grew inside of me and I felt as if all my worries had vanished. Simply, the energetic liveliness that Namari possessed alter the way I had been feeling all day. She turned 7 years old two weeks ago and Papa was the one who named her when she was born.
I patted her head.

"How was school Mari?" I got up and held her hand. As we started to walk, the teacher waved and I waved back with a slightly head bow.

"It was fun! I made a lot of new friends!" She stared up and I smiled.

"What about you big brother? How was your day?" She asked me while jumping over the cracks on the ground.

"It was okay." I replied as I watched how oblivious she was to her surroundings.

Once we made it home. Both Papa and Mama were lounging around. At least Papa was because he came back from work early. Well, his schedule is his own because since Papa's raise, he had been climbing the ladder. Now he was the executive manager of the company he's been working at.

"Mommy!" Namari released her grip from my hand and lunged towards Momma. Instead of running face first into her, Papa swooped in and grabbed Namari and raised her in the air.

"Be careful there." He teased her.

"Hahaha, make me fly!" She laughed.

Papa made airplane noises and swung her around. Momma took off her apron and started giggling herself.

"How are you dear?" She kissed my cheek.

"I'm good Mama." I answered.

"Is something on your mind?"

I watched as Papa took care of Namari and how Momma was prepping after school snacks for us. This felt normal. This was the kind of family I wanted when I was younger. I looked over at Momma and it all came rushing towards me. It wasn't me who was feeling down today because, I lost most of my childhood. It wasn't that.

Mixed in with confusion and content, I was blinded to the fact that there is no longer this emptiness of a family I was yearning for. This is the life Momma wanted. This was her dream and it came true. I remember when I was young, that she wanted a family where I could have a papa.

Now that I have Namari too, my cute little sister, it has come true. Momma's wish had come true and we're living it. Papa too. Sometimes I didn't know what they were feeling nor what they were thinking, but all I can say is this is what we all wanted.

"Big brother! Come on, Daddy is going to show us a magic trick!" She flailed her arms and in her hands were a deck of cards.

"Come on Naki, this will get you the girls at school." Papa lured me in with his ruse.

"Don't say that Karma." Momma crossed her arms.

"The kid's growing up." Papa joked.

The commotion. That means this is a lively household. This is my family and I'm grateful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 237 15
[ warning ]: contains depression, self-harm, and smut. Nagisa, a boy in his year has always been antisocial. He's constantly bullied by others and tr...
99.9K 4.2K 34
Keeping a low profile isn't the best option out there but, what choice does he have? After killing near 200 hundred people at such a young age, almos...
196K 4.9K 12
Nagisa Shiota is now 25 years old. He is a teacher of failures by day and a deadly assassin by night. He can not only conceal his presence but also...
263K 9.5K 34
"Frowns doesn't suit you at all. You look even cuter with a smile." Nagisa's the kind of boy who never smiles or even laughs. Or maybe, he used to, b...