Sedulous [1] - | J |

De flowerchild_04

"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object..." ... Mai multe

Some things...before we dive in
• Cast •
[ Playlist ]
| Million Dollar Baby |
| Impostor |
| Miss Gotham City |
| Insecurities |
| Losses |
| Explanations |
| Secrets |
| Stitches |
| Gotcha! |
| Losing Control |
| Fire & Gasoline |
| Regression |
| Restart |
| Cat Got Your Tongue? |
| Memories |
| Old Habits Die Hard |
| Twisted Fantasies |
| Dreams |
| Guilty As Charged |
| Electric |
| Sweet Talker |
| Burn |
| X's & O's |
|Epilouge I |
| Epilouge II |
• Thank You •
* a lil PSA *

| Playboy |

3.3K 127 109
De flowerchild_04

"When are you going to start acting your age?" I bellow to my suited father, who looked surprised at my outburst as he was in the midst of tying his tie.

"You said you'd host an event for Harvey—not for you to show out in front of Rachel with 3 bimbos." I say and roll my eyes, grabbing a glass of champagne from the servers plate.

The waiter stops and looks surprised at my action because...well...it was only one-thirty in the afternoon...and the party didn't start until seven tonight.

"I'm testing it." I scoff at the server who scurries away without another word. I begin to raise the glass to my lips when a hand swoops in and takes it smoothly from my grasp.

"I don't care if you're twenty-one, I don't like watching you drink." Dad states with a knowing smirk, placing the chute on top of the adjacent piano as I roll my eyes in defiance. He let's out a deep breath and puts his hands in his pockets, a smug smirk apparent on his face.

"I love how you find this to be so amusing! This isn't in the slightest bit funny—"

"—and you shouting is going to make you, make me, take you seriously?" He asks with squinted eyes.

"All I'm saying is that Harvey may not realize you're doing this to take a jab at him, but you're my father and I know you better than any Russian supermodel you have on your arm—"

"—Brazilian, sweetheart. Brazilian supermodel—"

"—are you for real?!" I shout and the servers quickly stop, assessing the situation. They continue once they see I'm just being over dramatic me.

"Veronica—" he laughs as I storm past him, knocking into his shoulder.

"I have somewhere to be. I'll see you later." I grumble, making my way to the elevator. When I make it to the main floor, paparazzi is already set up and snapping pictures. I try not to mind them as I get into my car and drive. I'm on my way to have lunch with a certain guy that I find to be quite charming.

Officer Blake asked me to lunch and I obliged. He seemed friendly and really sweet so I agreed to have a friendly meet up. I'm trying not to think too much into it, a relationship really isn't good for me right now in all honesty. I shake my head then, realizing that my overthinking will surely get me nowhere. I park in the closest space to the restaurant once I arrive. As I enter, the music takes over my senses. I am taken back by the drastic change from outside to in here. Silent and dreary and then bam—lively and bright. I go towards the main counter where a group of girls around my age stand.

"Hi, I'm here to meet someone. James Blake?" I say and give a trying smile.

They all look at me wide eyes and give each other side glances before smiling at me.

"No problem, follow me!" A girl with wavy black hair says and begins to walk me through the restaurant.

Before I make it to the table, the girl leans close to me while speaking lowly,

"You are one lucky girl. He is absolutely fine." She winks as I grow red from embarrassment.

"Actually it's not—"  I begin before I meet James' gaze. He smiles wide and stands, meeting me and my red face.

"Enjoy." The hostess says slyly and I turn away from her immediately. What a personality.

"Hey, I'm glad you decided to come." He says nicely and motions me to sit.

"Yeah, well I needed a change in scenery and you sure did provide it." I say and glance around.

"So, how's everything? The internship, how is that?" He asks casually as he sips from his water.

"It's...okay. I'm a bit overwhelmed at times but I manage. How about you? Cleaning up the streets of Gotham night and day I presume." I smirk and he chuckles at my dry joke.

"Not exactly, I'm pretty much a rookie. Just noise complaints and the occasional ticket to an angry pedestrian." He says and gives a curt laugh.

"I hope you weren't busy, I realized this morning that your father was planning to host a party for Harvey Dent today." He says genuinely and I give him a reassuring smile.

"No not at all, really I just look out for my dad. Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I wasn't around all the time."

"He's probably just overwhelmed. That goes hand in hand with being one of the most successful men in Gotham. You in contrast—" he smirks and looks down at his menu before speaking again but in a higher mock tone.

"—the Princess of Gotham."

"Oh god please, not you too." I groan and frown, making him laugh.

"I mean, it's kinda hard not to think of it like that. Bruce Wayne's only daughter. His only family. It's refreshing to have a young and beautiful face that'll be around for a little while."

I blush at his compliment, not wanting to reply at the obvious. Yes, I'm my dad's only family besides Alfred. A scenic duo but quite dysfunctional behind closed doors.

After we finish ordering, I try to spark conversation.

"Let's talk about you, Officer Blake—"

"—please, please. Call me James. That title is so foreign to me right now." He chuckles, taking a sip of his drink before smirking at me.

"Okay... James. Where did you grow up? Are you a native of Gotham?"

He looks at me for a second before smiling slightly.

"You can kind of say that."

*

I felt like I was weightless. After our lunch date, I really got to know James. He's such a great guy and has been through some tough obstacles. I admire his strength above all. His enthusiasm and hope that Gotham can be better than it is makes my heart jump. A guy with a plan. Nothing more attractive than a guy who knows what he wants.

As I ride the elevator up to the penthouse, it's nearly six o' clock. I sigh and compose myself for the few party goers that may be early. I still have to get ready, as I'm only wearing some casual clothes. Alfred is the first person I see as the elevator opens. Before he realized it was me, he dipped the champagne tray towards me to take a glass. I smirk at his action as he quickly retracts the tray smoothly with wide eyes.

"I apologize, dear. I've been told by Master Bruce to offer anyone who walks through the doors a glass of liquid courage."

I nearly snort in response.

"Did you happen to offer him any while you were at it?"

He laughs at my joke, his smile never fading.

"I haven't gotten the chance to. I'm not sure he needs it though, Miss.Wayne."

I playfully roll my eyes at his formality and walk towards the back of the penthouse towards the secret stairwell. As I put my thumb print into the wall, I quickly and quietly push myself through and close the panel behind me. I make my way to my room and quickly go to shower, putting on some music to help me get ready. When I'm about to pick my dress, a round of rhythmic knocks erupt at my door. I sigh out of frustration. It's probably dad planning on rushing me.

"Dad, I'm so busy right now. I'm sorry but I'm getting ready—"

"—Missus Wayne? This is Magnolia, I'm here to help you get ready...as instructed by Mister Wayne."

I open the door and my features soften at my good friend Mags. She's in her late forties but always wears a childlike smile. Her brown hair is getting gray with age.

"I am so sorry to bother, Ronnie. Your father wanted you to look ten times better than any girl he brings tonight!" she speaks excitedly in that heavy Italian accent. I open the door with a smile, walking back toward my wardrobe.

"Thanks, Mags. I'm glad to see you."

"He is so upset. A little bit saddened by your words earlier. He would like to make it up to you."

"There is nothing he could do—" I begin with a groan, but stop when I hear something rolling into the room.

My face falls but immediately lifts into that of a surprised grin.

"You've got to be kidding me."

*

"You're an hour late, Missus Wayne. You must choose before the party is no more!" Mags pleads.

I sigh and throw my face into my hands.

"This is honestly a travesty. I look horrible in all of them!" I suppress a cry and Mags shakes her hands at me in reassurance.

"You look like Goddess Aphrodite. No tears, Ronnie...you ruin face and make hair droopy." Mags explains and touches my face lightly.

"I personally picked out the last one. I think it will be the one, oprincipessa." She grabs a gold dress and holds it out with an encouraging smile.

It was gleaming, with an open back. I grab it and put it on, choosing not to look at myself in case I didn't like it like the five others before it. I had to admit, it did fit me like a glove...

"Absolutely beautiful! Now, go and find your father and—"

The piercing sound of what appeared to be gunshots rang through the penthouse, the sound causing me to quickly grab onto Mags. She yelped in fear before I quickly told her to be quiet. I picked the slight train to my dress up and began walking towards my door, causing Mags to plead with tears in her eyes.

"No no no, Missus Wayne. Please, per favore, stay here. It's not safe—resta!" She nearly sobbed but I shook my head.

"I have to go Mags, please stay here. Call Lieutenant Gordon on my phone and tell him to come here as soon as possible."

"Veronica, per favore—" she cries finally as I close the door shut behind me, then running to the secret entrance and pushing myself through.

When I make it to the party, it's completely silent except for one voice. That voice. I slowed my pace as I walked further into the room. Everyone was in a large circle, the center completely open. I saw only glimpses of the man through the bodies of guests as I couldn't push my way through.

"We aren't intimidated by thugs like you!" A man shouts suddenly and I look in the direction of the voice. I squeeze through just enough so I can see the man who spoke.

My breath hitched immediately at the sight.

The Joker stands tall before him, humming slowly and looking at him through squinted eyes. He leans his head to the side and licks his lips a few times before speaking.

"Ya know, you remind me of my father..." Joker grabs the old mans face roughly then, putting his switchblade up to the man's quivering lips.

"...I hated my father." He nearly growls before stopping upon hearing a new voice exclaim,

"Enough!"

I knew that voice. My head turned swiftly as my heart sank just as quickly. It was Rachel.

No, please. Not Rachel...

The Joker smirks then, moving away from the man. He begins walking towards her with a hunt of swagger, his gloved hand reaching up to push his unruly green curls from out of his line of sight.

"Why hello—" 

The man hadn't even finished his greeting, as I had managed to hastily push myself through the many fearful bodies. The action left me a mere few feet from the madman himself.

"Leave her alone!"

I mange to shout. I could've sworn Rachel's face turned as pale as the white linoleum floor we were standing on.

"No..." she breathed suddenly as The Joker turned around smoothly on his heel. His face seemed to light up at the sight of me.

"...beautiful." He finished, his voice almost sounding guttural but still holding that rasp.

He smacked his lips, licking his scars quickly before pointing his blade at me. He was intimidating, there was no doubt about it. His tall stance and ice cold stare—the mere confidence that radiated off of him was suffocating.

"Look at what we have here!" He bellows and I swallow hard, looking around at everyone's expressions—they were petrified.

"Do you know where Harvey is? Hm?" He asks deeply and continues to walks toward me as I carefully take one step back. He didn't seem to like that.

In an instant, he was grabbing my face with one hand and forcing my body to his with his other. He clutched my jaw roughly as I failed in trying to push him away. The metal of the blade which he clutched in his hand felt unnaturally cold against my cheek. I let out a low cry as the crowd gasped at the scene before them.

"Do you wanna know how I got these scars, sweet pea?" He breathed raggedly as I continued to struggle in his grasp.

"Well, I had a girlfriend once. A pretty little thing—like you..." he smacked as I tried to steady my breathing.

Where the fuck was my dad when I needed him.

"...and she would say that I was too serious, I worked too much. I didn't show her any attention," he said lowly gripping my jaw forcefully so I could look at him in the face.

"—and one night, I come home and find her with another man," he began to giggle then before continuing,

"...and you know wha-t," he licked his scars a few times before turning serious.

"...after killing the guy, I took the knife and did this to myself." He moves his head side to side for me to see and I let out an audible cry before he tugs my body roughly, moving the blade closer to my lips.

"She couldn't stand the sight of me!" He bellows.

"So she leaves...and takes everything. Now, I tend to see the funny side of everything. Now, I'm always smiling—" he begins laughing hysterically and let's his grip lessen for a second which allows me to quickly push him away.

In my effort to get away from him, I trip on my dress and fall onto the ground. I begin to push myself backwards while looking up at him in bewilderment.

"You're fucking crazy." I whisper and he practically growls.

"Oh, my oh my, you've got a little fight in you. I like that..." he states and licks his lips.

I am shaking so badly, I feel like I may crumble to pieces on the spot. Then, out of nowhere, The Batman appears and begins to fight off The Joker and his goons. I manage to finally get to my feet, but shriek when my arm is grabbed again.

One of Joker's henchman grabs me and points a gun at my head. Joker grabs Rachel, now holding her out of a broken window. Dad watched both of us intently.

"Don't do this." Batman spoke deeply and Joker chuckled.

"Sure! Take the little mask off and we can all go home!"

Batman steps closer and the Joker raises his eyebrow.

"Let them go." He growls and the Joker scrunches his face in confusion. Looking towards Batman, he shakes his head.

"Very poor choice of words." He laughs before letting go of Rachel.

"RACHEL!" I screamed before watching Batman lunge out of the window after her.

I began to sob, causing Joker to turn to me while he shakes his head.

"Tsk tsk tsk. Didn't your parents ever teach you to mind your manners? This is how you treat your guests?" He asks slowly, outstretching his arms.

He looked at his henchman holding me and turned serious.

"Cut'er loose," he said simply and began walking towards the exit.

"It was a pleasure seeing you all. I had fun, didn't you?" He asks a nearby woman who shudders in reply.

"Until next tiiiime." he sings before the elevator doors close.

I was in total shock. I could still feel him holding me, grabbing me like if he were to loosen pressure on my skin that I might just fade away.

There was something about the way he spoke. Almost like he was thinking of the next thing to say while hanging on a word. He had me and probably everyone else on the edge of their seats, waiting for what would come next.

Just waiting.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

A/N : Hi my loves. This update was pretty long and I had to proofread like 4 times lol so sorry for the wait! How are you guys feeling about this so far?

I know, it's been a little slow on the action but I promise it will pick up very soon :) Love you all ❤️
-A

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

2.9K 262 52
Stephanie Brown's return to Gotham City is not what she expected. A few years removed from the life she thought she wanted to leave behind, fighting...
4.8K 176 17
A year ago her parents died, well... more like she killed them, but it was an accident...sort of. After a bad day, she gets herself sent to Arkham A...
247K 8.1K 32
Bella Wayne, better known as Bruce Wayne's daughter, has seen her share of crime in Gotham, working at the local paper 'The Gotham Times' means havin...
498K 15.9K 37
Julianne Cress is a foster kid, one that always jumped from home to home, so she's an expert in keeping under the radar and being unnoticed. At her...