The Nerd's Secret |Ongoing|

By Not_Just_Anonymous

Note: I don't believe you need to read the first book but I think it'd be more fun if you did. (The Bad Boy's... More

Copyright ©
☫ Chapter 1 ☫
☫ Chapter 2 ☫
☫ Chapter 3 ☫
☫ Chapter 4 ☫
☫ Chapter 5 ☫
☫ Chapter 6 ☫
☫ Chapter 7 ☫
☫ Chapter 8 ☫
☫ Chapter 10 ☫
☫ Chapter 11 ☫
☫ Chapter 12 ☫
☫ Chapter 13 ☫
☫ Chapter 14 ☫
☫ Chapter 15 ☫
☫ Chapter 16 ☫
☫ Chapter 17 ☫
☫ Chapter 18 ☫
☫ Chapter 19 ☫
☫ Chapter 20 ☫
☫ Chapter 21 ☫
☫ Chapter 22 ☫
☫ Chapter 23 ☫
☫ Chapter 24 ☫
☫ Chapter 25 ☫
☫ Chapter 26 ☫
☫ Chapter 27 ☫
☫ Chapter 28 ☫
☫ Chapter 29 ☫
☫ Chapter 30 ☫
☫ Chapter 31 ☫
☫ Chapter 32 ☫
☫ Chapter 33 ☫
☫ Chapter 34 ☫
☫ Chapter 35 ☫
☫ Chapter 36 ☫

☫ Chapter 9 ☫

1.7K 138 219
By Not_Just_Anonymous

☫ Chapter 9 ☫

Gosh, I didn't mean to cause an earthquake.

     I ran my fingers through my blonde hair with a rough sigh. To be perfectly reasonable through this chaotic moment, I wasn't even aware that I could cause an earthquake. I'd love to come up with some sort of proper scientific answer on why this was even occurring but I think it was just me and my emotions acting up.

     I'm so disoriented right now that I'm not even telling you how it happened. I'm sorry. I'll start from the beginning of the school day.

     Lucas had a tight grip on my collar as he pulled me up against the wall. "So Jeremiah," he said while I struggled to somehow free myself from him. It was a pathetic attempt. His grasp was strong, remarkably strong and kind of overbearing. "Want to tell me why you're acting so suspicious?"

     I don't think there's a valid reasoning behind getting cornered in the boy's locker room. There I was minding my own business, fixing my gym clothes after someone -my guess is Jaxon- got them ruined. To think I helped that guy out yesterday. Though I shouldn't jump to conclusions, it could have been anyone in this school if I'm being perfectly honest. Then suddenly, I was slammed against the wall and greeted with a hostile Lucas.

     As opposed to the friendly one I've never had the privilege to experience. I scoffed inwardly.

     "What are you talking about?" I wheezed out and gulped audibly. I started thinking of what he could possibly be talking about. Did he realize what happened yesterday? The whole flying thing and all. That's the only suspicious act I could possibly think of with him breathing down on my neck intimidatingly.

     "I know your secret!" He shouted with a menacing tone.

     Wait...what is he even talking about?

     Not only am I incredibly confused but I can't think straight with the dark glare he's giving me. Is he for real? Does he know I'm Blue Gravity? It could be that he's just creating to conclusions and think's I'm Blue Gravity. You know, Lucas Trevor is a pretty unpredictable guy. If anything this so-called 'secret' that he claims to 'know' can be something utterly ridiculous and he has no idea that I'm Blue Gravity.

     There goes my wishful thinking.

     "How do you know?" My eyes widened as I questioned him. I figured asking him that would lead me towards the answer of what this supposed secret was. This feels a bit too theatrical for me. Something that I'd have to deal with in the Drama club, not some stuffy locker room. Once he didn't answer me I realized that I'd have to try a different method of tactic.

     I'd give away one secret to avoid another from being found out. That's a sacrifice I'm willing to take and really one that I'm going to have to take. "Just don't tell anyone. Please!"

     "And why shouldn't I?"He taunted.

     "If everyone knows I like Kelly they'll make fun of me," I looked down with a frown. I don't like Kelly but it's better to let him believe that rather than him thinking anything else. I'll pretend this is my biggest secret and that way any thoughts of me being Blue Gravity will fly out the window. Huh. Little joke there. "Not that they don't already but still. She's the most popular girl in school and I'm just that kid no one talks to. Please don't say anything. I can tell you don't like me. I don't know what I did bu-"

     "Wait a freaking second," he barked and I flinched when our eyes met. "You don't like Jenna? Aren't you guys dating?"

     Is that what he thinks my secret it? That I'm dating this Jenna girl? What a relief. I had absolutely no idea who she was. "Who's Jenna?"

     Lucas let go of me as I fixed my shirt and glasses. I heard a roar of laughter echo in the room and with furrowed eyebrows, I noticed Kyle clutching his stomach. He clamped his mouth shut with his palm, yet still, that didn't stifle his giggles as he stared at the both of us.

     "Wow." Kyle stopped laughing for a moment and patted Lucas's back in an assuring manner. "He doesn't even know who she is."

     Kyle's was here the whole time and he didn't stop Lucas? I bit back a frown and fiddled with my fingers. No, don't feel betrayed. It's not like we're friends. I clenched my jaw and looked away from them. I shouldn't expect things from people. That's my own fault. He probably has his own reasons. Probably.

     "Am I supposed to know who she is?" I asked while avoiding their gazes.

     "Don't worry, you don't need to know who she is," Lucas replied. My ears twitched when I could no longer hear the negative tone that was usually heavily laced when he spoke to me. He crossed his hands over his chest, still sounding pleased in some way, "And I don't dislike you."

     With confusion, I looked at Lucas and watched as he left the room. I will never be able to understand him. Kyle stayed in the room for a minute and smiled at me. I didn't return the smile and picked up my backpack.

     "He wasn't going to actually hurt you," Kyle told me.

     "Mhm," I hummed in response not exactly believing him.

     Kyle pouted and placed his hand on my shoulder. "You okay?"

     "I'm fine." I shrugged his hand off and walked out of the room. I pursed my lips and begrudgingly watched as Lucas dragged Kyle to our next class.

     "Nice of you boys to finally come to class," Mrs. Birch said when Kyle and Lucas entered the lab. Mrs. Birch gave me a pointed look as I followed behind them quietly, clutching onto my bag. "You too Jeremiah."

     Maybe I shouldn't have promised to not be late to her class. Now she probably hates me. I shook my head and tried to clear my mind from the events that played out only minutes ago. Maybe somehow that would calm me down. It took me a second to gather that Chad tripped me and then I felt a pain spark by my ankle. I got up with a roll of my eyes and ignored the look Lucas was giving me.

     I did not need his pity stare right after he did something similar to Chad. That's hypocritical and insensitive.

     "Now the next group can present their project."

     Right. The chemistry presentation.

     "You need a drink, bruv?" Jude offered me once I sat down next to him. If it was anything like his Seltzer I was okay without having it. He examined me as I took out our project. He took in my tired state. The purple bags under my eyes and heavy breathing.

     "I'm fine," I told him. "Thanks, though."

     "Want me to present the project?" Jude asked and finally stopped staring at me like I was a puzzle as if he's come to a conclusion.

     I looked at him completely bewildered. My lips parted as my eyes widened in astonishment. Is he being nice to me? "I-I could do it," I stammered, feeling nervous. "You a-already did the whole project."

     He didn't say anything as Mrs. Birch called us up for our turn. A tingly sensation ran through my body as I got up. I winced when a twisted jolt made me gasp and my feet started trembling. My stomach bubbled up and my fists quivered. The observant Jude didn't notice this as he took a hold of my hand and dragged me under a desk.

     "Earthquake," he reasoned when I raised my eyebrows at him ardently.

     I knew for a fact that this earthquake wasn't due to natural causes. Somehow, this was my powers. It was like those times where I would try to control my powers when they insisted that it was a perfect time to be of usage. It was usually never a good time. I squeezed my eyes shut and clenched my jaw. Gripping on the desk, I mustered up all my strength onto it and made a strong effort to stop the earthquake.

     What if someone gets hurt?

     My palm landed on the floor as my eyes fluttered open and I imagined my powers running through my veins. I created a picture in my mind. Everything was empty, it was dark and these powers surged cautiously and openly. Different colors flowing around brightly, illuminating the darkness easily. Licking my lips, I smiled when the earthquake stopped.

     Oh, thank goodness that actually worked. I need to figure out how to control these powers before something worse happens.

     "You okay?" I looked at Jude.

     He nodded and got up.

☫ * ☫ * ☫ * ☫

     The best way to discover the secret behind control is reading it from the people who experienced it first hand. I stared at the comic shop sign with a grin. If it's anyone who knows how to deal with strange abilities from a messed up science experiment it's comic book characters. The bell chimed lightly as I entered the shop and I gawked over the number of comics this place had.

     I noticed a brunette boy in the middle of the store. He had on a green apron and was holding a broom. It wasn't until he turned around that I recognized his face. It was one of Tobe's friend, Nico. He didn't realize I entered as he pursed his lips and narrowed his eyes. I furrowed my eyebrows and with a chuckle, I watched him fight the air.

     He positioned himself in a fighting pose, keeping his stance firm. He pointed the broom at a comic book stand like it was a threat to the store itself.

     "Have no fear," he stated dramatically. "For I am here!"

     Oh, that rhymed.

     He clenched his fists and actually did some cool moves with his broom and feet. I shook my head as he knelt down on the ground and looked from left to right in suspicion. He nodded and rolled over the floor in a superhero like way. He then got up fiercely and kept his hold on the broom tightly. With a flip of his hair, he licked his lips in anticipation as a smirk eased its way over his lips.

     He was really getting into it. It was amusing to witness.

     Nico used the broom as if it was a sword and continued his playful fight with the air. The match appeared to be getting intense as he ducked avoiding of what I'm assuming was a slash to his chest. At the very same time, he managed to knock down a stand. I felt like that last bit was inevitable.

     I quickly assisted him in picking up everything he dropped. His eyes widened when he saw me. "Jeremiah?" He said. "You like comics?"

     "Yeah," I replied and placed some comics back where they belong. I mean I never read one before but I'm sure they're great. I spared him any embarrassment and didn't mention his earlier fight.

     "Tobe says otherwise," Nico informed me through a chuckle. Tobe talks about me with his friends? He probably just cries to them that I make him go outside. Yeah, that's a Tobe thing to do.

     I shoved my hands in my pockets and scanned the area looking for particular comics. Ones that include teenagers suddenly getting bitten by an animal and gaining something impossible. "You have any Spider-Man comics?"

     Nico cracked a large smile. "You're gonna have to be more specific than that. There are lots of different Spider-Man comics. I recommend The Ultimate Spider-Man."

     I walked with him to an aisle and he reached out to pick a comic out. He handed it to me and gave me a salute as he went over to help his dad out. I looked around the place. Finding different comics I could relate to. There was Superman, which I realized that our costumes were eerily similar. Then there was a comic called Gravity that was pretty helpful.

     Nico suddenly popped by again, his curls bouncing all over the place as his brown eyes sparkled with excitement. He looked at the comics I was holding and as if he was Google he told me all about them. I don't think he was even realizing it. It was nice to see him so passionate over superheroes.

     Looks like I'm not going to need to buy any comics if he keeps this up. I smiled as his expressions morphed into shocked, sad, and enthusiastic all over again. He can really tell a story. I think he almost teared up when he said that Peter Parker's uncle died.

     "Would you ever want to be a superhero?" I nonchalantly questioned while putting the comics away.

     His brown eyes widened. "Oh, that would be so cool. I wish! You know, sometimes I just let spiders crawl on me and hope that they're radioactive." Someone needs to watch this kid closely! "Other times I pretend I have telekinesis but after like two minutes I realize that I'm not destined for it. Besides, things like that don't happen in real life."

     "Right," I agreed with a soft smirk and made sure to buy a comic before I left.

☫ * ☫ * ☫ * ☫

     "I'll start with basic rules you should know," Jude said as I awkwardly stood there listening. He spoke while wrapping something around his knuckles. It looked like some sort of medical bandages or strap. "Always be aware of your surroundings. Use your senses to be alert. And make sure to walk confidently."

     "What?" I twisted my lips with confusion. "I thought you were teaching me how to fight not walk."

     My eyes scanned the boxing court that he took me to. Of course, it had to look like it was falling apart. Not that it was a bad thing necessarily, just sort of predictable. The place looked edgy is what I'm trying to say. Sort of shady.

     Jude sat with me during lunch today to tell me that he would start teaching me how to fight. He stayed seated the whole lunch. Not talking to me but just doing some school work. I didn't bother to ask him why he wasn't leaving. He wasn't too bad to have around.

     "Sometimes you can avoid a fight with just faking confidence," he replied and I realized he wasn't wrong in the slightest. That's kind of what I did the other day. "Here, let me show you what I mean."

     Jude hunched his shoulders forward, in a lazy like way. His eyes were downcast and he was fidgeting. "This is you," he informed me. "The perfect target."

     I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest at his sardonic smirk. "Alright, alright," I scoffed with a wave of the hand, finding myself chuckling. "What's the right way?"

     He fixed his posture and kept his gaze straight forward. His face was neutral in the sense that it also expressed that he wouldn't deal with anyone who gets in his way. "This is the right way."

     Nodding, I waited for him to continue.

     "It's best to not get yourself in a fighting situation, Jeremiah," he warned me with slit eyes. "But if anything, you should attack first. It's rule of thumb that the winner is the first one who attacks."

     Rule of thumb...? I found myself looking at my thumb as he spoke.

     "Ey!" He snapped his fingers, gaining my attention. "Pay attention. Anyway, don't punch someone half-heartedly. If you're going to defend yourself then go all the way. Go for the eyes, throat, and groin. You know how to punch right?"

     "Um...I think?" I scratched the back of my neck.

     He gave me an expectant look. "Let's see it then."

     With a lick of my lips, I bawled my fist and threw my best punch. I looked up to see Jude's eyes wide. He narrowed them at me suspiciously and then nodded.

     "Hmm," he began. "You do have potential and you're not as weak as you look."

     "Er..thanks?" Maybe it's these powers that make me seem stronger than I am?

     Jude spent the next thirty minutes teaching me the correct position to be in when fighting. He gave me tips and tricks while suggesting normal tactics. Something that stuck with me was the fact that I had to move my torso and hips to generate power. I figured that would also assist me while I utilize my powers. He repeatedly told me to breathe and focus on who my target is. That I can't get distracted.

     "Okay," he acknowledged. "Let's try a test fight."

     "Alright," I gulped. My eyes widened when he threw his fist in front of my face. He meant right now? Like this second?!

     "When someone attacks first...?" He trailed off, questioning me.

     "They are most likely to win," I swallowed, finishing his sentence and managed to catch his fist before it hit my face.

     He twisted my hand and raised his leg towards a proximity that I'd rather not get hit. I immediately took a step back and like his earlier instructions; I placed my fists over my face, having it hover it and all while protecting it. Standard boxing stance.

     "It's great that you're on defense, bruv," Jude said and mirrored my position, his feet apart. "But you should start to fight back."

     I sighed, "Right."

     "Do a jab," he instructed and then smiled. "Don't worry about hitting me. I doubt you'll be able to lay a finger on me."

     With a huff, I glared at him and did a jab. I followed it up with an uppercut and then a couple of hooks. Somehow, he dodged them all but through his fast movements, he fell on the floor when I side kicked him. I grinned triumphantly, feeling proud of myself that I proved him wrong. I gasped when Jude slid his foot by mine and tripped me.

     "You need to focus." He hovered me and went for a straight punch. "The fight's not over until someone surrenders or is left unconscious."

     I blew my cheeks and tried to remember everything he said earlier. What was the order he said? First, go for a jab then right hook— left hook— duck— uppercut. Repeat.

     "Did you just do the same order I taught you?" Jude clicked his tongue. "Mix it up, Jeremiah. Otherwise, I can just predict your movements and avoid them all."

     Well then. Uppercut—duck—left hook—right hook—jab. Repeat. Be sure to breathe.

     "You really just did it backwards?" He asked, bewildered and blocked my punch. I gave him a halfhearted shrug and nervously chuckled. It's not like had that much time to come up with a strong pattern. I can barely catch my breath.

     "C'mon, I'm sure you're more creative than that," he encouraged.

     I rolled my shoulders and let out a puff of air. I started with a straight punch and then went for a front kick. I swiftly ducked. Right hook—uppercut—left hook. I elbowed him as he stumbled back.

     "Better," he complimented with a nod.

     I ducked his punch and fixed my stance, losing my breath. I lazily attempted to get a hit on him but I was too tired to make any difference.

     "Practice whenever you can," Jude urged me, ending the fight with a raise of his palm. "I'll teach you other things next time. You look knackered."

     If that meant tired then I completely agree with him. I gathered my things and muttered a good night. He only tilted his head in response, acknowledging me and turned his back, unwrapping the cloth that he put around his knuckled before.

________________________________________

A/N

Heyyyy humans!

I don't know if I'll be able to update on Wednesday bec school...yeah...but this is pretty long so that makes up for it right? *awkward thumbs up* It's the same amount of words as last chapt to be honest lol.

Ah I love Nico.

Btw that Jeremiah and Kyles thing made me slightly sad. I was like oooh *clutches chest sort of thing* but it was amusing to have Jeremiah so confused XD And that earthquake? *starts to sweat* my poor child.

The Jude and Jeremiah part made me happy bec he's actually hanging out with people! Good for him. Not the best crowd as we already know but hey. *shrugs with a smirk* I mean they finish each other's sentences so... Ahaha

I hoped you liked this chapter. :) What do you think will happen next? And btw you guys are so cute with realizing which scenes are which and how they connect with Lucas. You get a gold star. ^_^

P.S: if you have any tips, ideas, suggestions please pm me, that would be awesome. Any idea is good because I could just base a chapter off of it and update quicker ;-). So if there's a certain thing that you want to happen just comment it!

Love ya'll <3

Yours truly,

A N O N Y M O U S

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 235 89
Stephanie Walker, A-straight student, sweet,pretty and every parent's dream. What happens when her simple life clashes with the golden boy at her se...
2.1K 169 20
I never really wanted to be popular, to make people feel like shit because it was "expected" of me. I never wanted to date the "hottest" guy in schoo...
246K 6.3K 54
-BOOK 1- The first book in the series of "Thrill in Danger" books. Its not your typical bad boy or bad girl story. Its something bigger, its betraya...
10.3M 710 5
***Please note that this book has been taken down because it's been published, and you can see only the sample chapters of the published version. **...