☫ Chapter 28 ☫

☫ Chapter 28 ☫

Jude stared at me blankly.

     He then asked, "You ever think about going into law?" And despite the chaos that was currently being thrown at us, he appeared genuinely curious and determined to find the answer. 

     I gave him my own look, one that reeked complete confusion and utter desire to move past the immediate scene. In brief, I was clearly expressing the fact that I wanted to get out of here. "No," I answered, my gaze no longer pointed at his direction but rather at the feet of those around us. "Public speaking isn't really my thing." 

     "Shame," he commented, a shrug accompanying the disappointed tone. "You know the laws and constitution pretty well."

     "I don't think nows the time to think about career plans and future majors." I looked from side to side as I responded. Sweat dripped down my temple and I swallowed the gulp in my throat in fear of the position we stumbled upon. "We're sort of preoccupied," I reminded him.     

     "You're the one who mentioned in detail how illegal all of this is." Jude gave a chuckle, not the least bit worried about our safety.

     I didn't share the same sentiment and in fact, I couldn't comprehend the mindset he was in during such an intense moment. I took a step back, briefly grazing against Jude's back. We're surrounded and there's nowhere to go. There are only so many ways I can see this going and not one of them look good to me.

     I expressed evident concern and fear as I stared back at Jude. He nodded. I raised my eyebrows, unsure what to make of that.

     "Piss off," Jude told the men around us with a snarl. He raised his fists, preparing to fight if necessary. His eyes turned cold, no longer taking this as a joke, but rather something serious. 

     I breathed in an irritated sigh. He did not just say that. Oh my goodness. This can only get worst at this point. There's no way getting around this after inviting a fight instead of a compromise.

    One of the men took out a gun.

   "What the bloody hell?" Jude whispered in shock and pulled me behind him. 

     I want to say that I'm shocked as well but considering the fact that we both saw that these men have guns on their hips from our very first encounter, I'm not exactly surprised that they're now pulling it out. Also, when viewing this from an objective point of view, we are on their turf and apparently that means war for gangs. I don't quite know all the rules regarding that, but it's something I've caught along the way with all the experiences I've come across with gang members. Unfortunately, the list appears to be piling up. 

     I think I'm going to take this moment to explain to you what's happening. It's only fair after all this time. 

     The fight-or-flight response is a fascinating phenomenon really.

     I always figured that I would be a flight type of person. That I'd run so far from danger and never face it head-on. Ironically enough my alter ego requires me to do the exact opposite. But as Blue Gravity things are different. As Jeremiah, everything is more simple. Or it's supposed to be.

     This ideology changed the moment I got shot.

     As Jeremiah.

     Oh shoot, I'm skipping around too much. I spoiled this for you. I apologize. I'm just a little disorientated.

     See, I had a foolproof--apparently not bulletproof--plan. That joke wasn't funny. I'm sorry. I'm just feeling a lot of things right now. And now I'm repeating myself. Anyway, I had this nice to do list for the day. Starting with the fact that I would promptly be avoiding Mrs. Birch. Our scene yesterday was quite unnerving and I'm not sure what to feel about this honors project she wants me to participate in. She told me to think about my decision deeply. Frankly, observing this from an outside view I can conclude that this is a form of blackmail. I know I'm seeming melodramatic but hear me out.