☫ Chapter 29 ☫

Chapter 29

I woke with a sharp gasp, sitting up straight and alarmed.

     My clothes clung to my skin, soaked with cold sweat and something else that I couldn't quite decipher at the moment. I was panting. Each breath came out loud and rough with an ache in my throat. I pat down the surface around me, blinking repeatedly. The first thing I noticed was how dark it was. There was a little light shining from the side of the room I was in but that was it. I balled my fists onto the sheets. An intense pain shot up in my arm. I groaned, my breathing quickening and my heartbeat following its pattern.

     Where am I? I searched for my glasses, clumsily gliding my fingers from one area to another. I found them on the nightstand along with a cup of water. I licked my chapped lips and decided it's best to not drink when I had no idea where the substance came from.

     Clearing my throat, I slid on my glasses and scanned the room.

     With the little light that there was, I could see that everything in the room appeared normal. Nothing was out of the ordinary other than how plain it all was. I'm not judging. I'm only taking each detail with consideration. I got up, the pain in my arm increasing with the action. I closed my eyes briefly and heaved in a sigh. That's when I heard a noise and then abrupt clattering. I directed my attention to the other door in the room other than the entrance. The door was slightly ajar. I realized that's where the light was coming from. 

     I grabbed the nearest weapon. Translation: I grabbed the cup of water from the nightstand. For whatever reason, I think I've been kidnapped. This conclusion seems like I'm going on a whim here, I know. Especially because I'm not even Blue Gravity right now. Who would want to kidnap just Jeremiah Vincent? I shook my head. We'll find out later. Regardless of the motives, I'll need to fight back. The water will offer a distraction to the felon after I splash in on their face and take them by surprise. Once that happens, I'll tackle them down and find out what's going on.

     Sounds legitimate. I can't get any more creative than that. This is not my proudest plan, to be perfectly honest. But there's no time to get fancy. 

      I got into position and stood in front of the door. If the noise is coming from there then that's where the kidnapper is. I nodded to myself. I waited anxiously for the door to open and reveal the culprit. I clicked my tongue, growing impatient as the noise continued.

     Oh, whatever. I'll still have the element of surprise if I barge in there now and throw the water.

      And so I did.

     "Bloody hell, Jeremiah!" 

     Jude stared at me with wide eyes. I mirrored him and held my hand on my chest. I watched as his expression morphed into something much more terrifying. A tentative smile reached my lips. He narrowed his eyes and hissed at me. I gulped and bit back a laugh when I saw how the water made his usual fluffy hair turn flat against his forehead. He was seething at me, both his fists clenched at each side of him.

     "Oops," I said apologetically and placed the now empty glass cup on the bathroom counter. "I thought you were my kidnapper."

     There was an awkward pause. 

     He then looked at me strangely. "Right then," he started and dismissed the comment entirely. "I'm going to change my shirt for the second time tonight. Stay here and don't touch anything." He muttered some other things under his breath as he walked out.