Resistance [Fili / The Hobbit]

By majestekili

The Blue Mountains, region of the kingdom Belegost, has been Teryn's home since birth. She grew up under the... More

Resistance ( Fili / The Hobbit )
Chapter - 1 - Brusque Landing
Chapter - 2 - Nomadic Eyes
Chapter - 3 - Pomegranates
Chapter - 4 - Dismaying Whispers
Chapter - 5 - Abandoned Pursuit
Chapter - 6 - Masterly Seduction
Chapter - 7 - Darkened Ploy
Chapter - 8 - Disappointing Realizations
Chapter - 9 - Uncharted Bewilderments
Chapter - 11 - Deplorable Exclamations
Chapter - 12 - Disquieted Elation
Chapter - 13 - Alter of Circumstances
Chapter - 14 - Tender Compromises
Chapter - 15 - Adverse Trend
Chapter - 16 - Dire Veracity
Chapter - 17 - Fortitude
Chapter - 18 - Conclusive Calamity

Chapter - 10 - Dawn of Infirmity

3.1K 135 25
By majestekili

Teryn's P.O.V

     I watched Fili amble towards the Dwarve I wish I was more and more similar to as time drew on. I hadn't wanted to be an asp as she was, but I found myself quite jealous when he once again favored her over myself; I had expected it to be set in such strides until the dusk of my time.

    With every fall of his foot, disappointment etched a envious pain deeper within me. 

    Pivoting around, a hypotheticaly heavy weight fell against my chest as my lungs slowly filled with frigid oxygen and released it as a heated breath. There was a sickly feeling deep within me, one that would not send me into a physical illness, but possibly a mental one; a sense of a wound and loss as I began to walk away.

    It was utterly silent in the corridors I set on adventuring, aside from the gossiping maids of the event that recently took placed; Fili again reminding everyone he was in love with another.

  I could practically hear my mother scolding my actions when I tilted my chin downwards in defeat, showing yet another chink in the armor. My shoes were the only filler from the eerie silence that occupied the tall foyers, save the natural sounds of the mountain and its walls of cold stones.

   What had I done wrong? I surly must have mistepped my place along the way to be so undesirable.

   Prior to arriving in Erebor, my instruction was singular and not complex; to be a noble woman who was loyal and never spoke out of turn or false guidance. Had I truly already, unknowingly deceived my kin in Belegost this severely?

   Catching a glimpse of my head maid, I made haste in walking nearer to her. "Zaylia," I beckoned and she turned from her conversation with another nurse to meet my abrupt greeting.

   "Your highness?" She blinked with hands clasped in front of her linens.

   I stopped a few paces from her, then drew and exhaled quickly, gathering my thoughts for an approachable solution. "Are you educated as to the whereabouts of Prince Kili?"

   The women that had basically grown beside me and played mother to me, despite her only being 20 years my elder, glanced around us utterly confused and lowered her head to speak quietly. "What complications would guide you to seek Kili's council?" Her voice was a skeptical hiss and her brows were strongly knit together.

    Feeling a sense of her disapproval, I slowly continued our out of sorts conversation. "Matters that concern his and my own," The words we now not filled with confidence and frowardness, they were beginning to sound as if I too was in questioning.

   Zaylia stepped nearer to me. "You best not be spending your free moments with the younger nephew, your highness. There are rumors rising."

   "Yes, I am aware, but my inquire still stands. Where is Kili?" But her hesitation fueled more examination and I tilted my chin and sent her a heuristic expression. "What have you heard? These rumors, there are no truth to them so where did the tall tales steam from?"

   She glanced down at the passing of a stable boy as he carried blankets across the hall, then she shook her head. "This is not the place to be speaking of such topics," Then, smoothing the fabric of her dress, Zaylia nodded to down the corridor where my chambers resided. 

    Taking the hint, I pivoted myself and began walking nearer to the gray entrance that was thickly framed with glistening minerals and quickly pressed my hand to the cold doorknob. Turning the object in my grasp, a small click could have been heard before I swung the entryway open enough for my ladies maid and I to arrive in the room that was filed with warmth from the fireplace.

   Not two seconds after I locked the door behind me did I spin back around to Zaylia and demand her awareness. "What is your knowledge of these false accusations?"

>>>>

   "The King will see you now," The doorman greeted me in the antechamber and I stood from the comfortable bench with urgency. Advancing briskly, the Dwarve who had just opened my pathway stepped aside for my wake to proceed and I soon found myself in the suite where the King would have most likely spend much time.

    There was a desk to my left, under a mantle of candles with assorted scrolls and documents. Then to the rights was a chest full of miscellaneous objects and a chair that was placed before a beautifully woven tapestry of blue and silver. Before me was an open double doored step that lead up to a bed in another room.

     I waited patiently and with a forming panic, not daring to breath too loudly in the Thorins accommodations, let alone move freely about. Yet there was a firm sense of need to be out with the truth which was wrongfully skewed and my patience, which was usually trained to endure, was tested as the King too his time in another part of his suite.

   Then he walked in with his light, long jacket over his royal garments and rings on every finger. His hair was growing grayer and grayer as the days progressed, this I was sure of, and his posture was not uplifted as normally. "What a pleasant surprise," Thorin gently smiled and nodded once.

   I returned the expression and lowered my head. "Forgive me for disturbing you, your majesty."

   "It was no disturbance at all, dear girl. I was just sending out for my guards to retrieve word of goings-on of Erebor, nothing that can't wait for Filis fiancé." Taking a seat at a chess table, Thorin motioned for me to do the same.

    Whilst sitting, I smoothed the dress beneath me to avoid wrinkles or else I would never hear the end of it from Zaylia.

    Thorin pulled his hand up and raised a pawn from the center of the board and pushed it two spaces forward. "So how do you fair?"

    "I am excellent, thank you for querying. And yourself?" I placed the smallest game piece two steps ahead on the right side of the board.

    A sigh escaped him. "Decent enough, I suppose." He then pushed a smile and continued the movement of pawns. "What brings you to such private councils?"

   I hesitated and pondered for a matter of seconds as to if I had made a fault, but I soon attempted to adjust myself in preparation for the upcoming consultation. "I have a suspicion that predominantly false news has spread throughout the kingdom concerning me."

   Thorin allowed himself to look at me under the shadow of his brow and laugh a low rumble. "Rumors have always swarmed around people in our position, it matters not and has no bearing on your life."

   He was amused, but I was even more concerned and after finding the courage I spoke again. "But these lies could cost me greatly, and if not set true they could be believed by every soul from here to Anfalas." I informed him as I guided my bishop along the board.

   Thorin shook his head midly and kept a sliver of smile along his lips. "And what of these rumors that have not even reached my own ear?"

   "People of Dale accept the tale that I had taken a lover, prior to Fili."

   He stopped his next move and raised a brow. "And have you?" The question with such lack of emotion, as if he was probing me for lies by refusing to use a voice stern nor hopeful.

   I quickly shot down the possibility without hesitation. "Of course not, your majesty, but-"

   Falling short of time to reply, I was interrupted by the king pulling a cloth from his pocket and coughing lightly into it.

    He then ruffled it back up and motioned for me to continue. 

    "The people have concluded that I-"

   Thorin deeply coughed again into the fabric of the handkerchief, this time more severely and with more seriousness. He was soon hunched over on his chair, gasping for air as he croaked from the pit of his throat.  

   Worry began to consume me as I stood and ran to the door, seeking assistance, but the King stopped me as I was about to retrieve the door knob. "No, no." A clearing of the throat. "I am fine, I swear it. I am just fighting a minor illness. Nothing more than a mere cough and cold nose."

   I stayed still, contemplating the situation.

   The king was sick, but I hadn't known how severely or why he refused to let anyone know of his ailing condition. I needed to tell someone for fear of Thorin growing worse under refusal of medical aid, but standing in the way of such events was the kings order to keep it hidden.

   "Should I help you?" I walked nearer to him, trying to think of any way I could ask his guard for assistance without revealing Thorins impaired strength.

   He shook his head and stood on his feet. "No, as I said I am fine. I should just retire to my bed chambers, but thank you for your company. We shall talk more tomorrow evening."

   I shyly nodded and took my leave, stealing one last glance to the Dwarve who was downing a glass of water with tightly shut eyes and a grimace that forced wrinkles.

   As I walked away from his chambers, leaving the guards to shut the passage behind me, a group of soldiers were advancing in my direction, but only nodded to my presence before continuing past me.

   Their matters seemed urgent when they demand entry to the doorman. "I must speak with the King now, a single moment must not be lost." There was a growl in his voice that stopped me from advancing further from their presence.

    I turned and found the handful of soldiers entering the doorway and disappearing from sight, aside from the leader who was still in eyes view from the position he stood as he closed the door.

   There was anger in his eyes. Not a burning hatred, but an aching blame that he passed to me threw the contact we made from across the hallway.

   Then the pound of the door meeting its framed sounded off and I wasted no time in hurrying off to my own chambers as the weight of unaware guilt laid upon my chest with a deep twist of expecting the worst to lay itself out.

    Finding the corridor which my chamber was located, I swiftly swung the heavy door open and stepped around it, closing it behind me quickly.

    Zaylia stood from folding my gowns and two others pulled my beds thick blanket into a fold at the bottom of the cushioned plateau and slowly became curious after curtsying, then started adjusting the pillows in preparation of my sleep. "Are you alright, my lady?" Sweet Zaylia asked me with such concern, keeping an eye on me while hanging the blue cloak into the wardrobe.

    I looked up to her after staring blankly at the ground in thought. "Hm? Ah yes, everything is fine." I pushed a smile and nod for her nerves' sake.

   She sent me an unsure look to confirm that she was not convinced, but she dropped the subject. "Do you wish for me to draw a bath?"

   "That will not be necessary, you may take your leave for the night."

   "But my lady,-" She began to protest at the thought of her not guiding my nightly routine of bath, night gown, then staying in the room as I slept, doing things such as cross stitching until she grew too tired, then putting the guards on duty outside of the door.

    I walked across the room and released the necklace from its resting place on my collar bone and looked at her through the mirror. "I will be fine. For once in your life, do not fret. The guards are outside and I just want to be alone for a while."

   "It's my job to fret, my lady." She furrowed the definition in her eyes and shook her head in a desperate confusion.

    I pivoted around to face her and took a few steps with a warm smile. "And you have done excellent in taking worries of all affairs, but I assure you that I will be alright. Please," I spoke softly, careful not to raise my voice at my nurse. "If I feel unease I will send for you,"

   She opened her mouth to object further, but then closed it and sighed through her nose. "Oh alright, but if you so much as hear a creak in the other room you yell for the dwarves out by your door. And if you wish to eat, call on me so I will test it-"

   My head tilted upwards and I laughed at her overreaction. "Okay, I understand."

   Zaylia sent one last look to me then ordered the other two maids to be escorted out as well.

   Once they departed, I heaved a deep breath and remained still in the silent accommodation.

  I had only wanted to be out of all company that when it became so I had not the slightest clue what I should fill me time with. Walking around the room, I quietly studied it. The tapestries that hung on all walls, the etchings above all door frames that were carved of stone and the patterned in which the floor played out.

  Resting a hand on a thick wooden chair by the window, I wondered if Fili would come to me and finish what he attempted to say just twenty minutes previous, but realizing that he was in the company of Maena, I quickly pushed the idea from my mind.

   Instead, I settled into the soft bench by the fire as the sun set over the horizon and cast pastel shades across the entire sky, allowing tones of pink and orange to flood the room.

    I remembered a time when my sister Trinity and I ran through the breezeways of our castle at this time of day when we were younger, being chase by Temli who was leading a game of tag. He called out for us, "I will get you,". My sister and I screamed and giggled as he drew closer and we rounded a corner sharply before our brother reached out and stumbled to tag me. I remember releasing the loudest laugh of anticipation that maids rushed to see who was hurt.

    How I longed to be that happy and to be in the comfort of my siblings; to be surrounded by those who loved me.

   Then, disturbing my deep thought, a mass of footprints were heard marching down the hallway. I stood as soon as I saw the shadows of dwarves walking past from under the door in the space that allowed a small amount of light to pass.

   I made haste across the floor and without thinking, I strongly opened the door to find the soldiers who were recently entering Thorins chambers a mere five paces away.

   "You there," I requested the attention of the head dwarve. He swung himself around straight and the rest followed suit.

    All others bowed the upper half of their bodies before me, but the man I made cold eye contact with remained still, then walked down the path made by other to come face to face with me. "Yes, your highness?" He said in the highest form of dismay and annoyance.

   Finding footing to challenge him, I pushed the inward scream to be obedient away. "I wish to know of the most current events that take place in Erebor."

   "Such are affairs that do not concern a princess yet," He stated with a nod and a slight look of disgust. "And nothing that is of significant threat."

   Sensing defeat, I glanced downwards. I realized the consequences of my outburst of action and began to apologize. "I'm-" But one last plea for the urgent news to reach my ears forced me to look upwards at him without any mask of superiority. "Please," If it was something that concerned me, the need to knew would be immense.

   The broad dwarves eyes darted away for a split second before letting out an audible sigh. There was an unspoken understanding on a low level between us, not one of any sort of friendship, but possibly sympathy or debacle. "A pack of Orcs are advancing past out borders and there is talk of an uprising sparked within the kingdom."

 I'M BACK, WHAT!?!?!?  I AM BACK TO UPLOADING WEEKLY. WHEEEEEEE SO EVERY THURSDAY!!!! . ahahahah but thank you so much for reading this far and I really hope you enjoy the rest because a lot of drama goes down(;

  I ALSO HAVE A TWITTER SO GO FOLLOW ME (the user name is the same, @majestekili ) SO WE CAN BE FRIENDS AND YOU CAN SEE WHAT GOES THROUGH MY HEAD WHEN I WRITE OR JUST WHEN I AM BEING LAZY. IDK BUT FOLLOW ME AND I WILL FOLLOW BACK (:

  ((P.S. When I said "Chink in the Armor" don't get yourself all worked up like ESPN did when they fired the reporter for using the phrase; it actually means a mere point of vulnerability. It's not a racist remark, trust me.))

 Best comment / Best idea in comments get a dedication!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

227K 6.9K 25
Caladhiel had been born in the Northern Mountains of Middle Earth. She'd always been hot headed, passionate and brave. Her father was the leader of t...
271 24 4
Several months after the company of Thorin Oakenshield reclaimed their homeland, the Bagginses come home to Erebor. Fili trains to be the next King U...
22.3K 551 22
Dahlia Ironfoot, daughter of Dain, was Prince Thorin's betrothed. But that was all before Smaug the dragon attacked the Dwarven kingdom of Erebor an...
36.8K 1K 29
Nithi grew up, alone and abandoned, in the mean corners of Ered Luin. A thief and not a bad one at that; she jumps at the opportunity to become the f...