Hero's Journey

By SkyAngel_

Kagon of Pik is a hero that goes wherever adventure takes him. All he wants in life is action and a heroic j... More

Hero
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Author's Note, Please Read
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Tag ^_^
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
AUTHOR'S NOTE
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Author's Note: Please Read
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Author's Note:
Chapter 49
Author's Note
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
New Book Cover!
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
IMPORTANT!:
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Epilogue
Final Author's Note
Copyright
Critique

Chapter 88

6 1 8
By SkyAngel_

Kagon holds his scribe to his chest even as sobs rack through her body and her tears bleed into his shirt. He rubs her back like his mother used to do for him when he was little. He does this not knowing how else to console her. Somehow, comforting Delia gives Kagon some of his own solace.

This is something I can't fight. Kagon realizes. I have to honor this deal that we set forth, otherwise I am made the villain.

Kagon holds Delia closer. Our hero's journey has come to an end it seems...

Startling sorrow overtakes Kagon, but he hides it with a level gaze directed Daqa's way. The priest's mouth hangs open in a broad smile that his jaw can hardly contain.

"Get it over with." Kagon says numbly.

"No!" Delia shrieks, struggling to get away from Kagon.

However, Kagon holds her to him, keeping her pinned to his chest no matter how hard she punches or kicks.

"Kagon, let go! You can't let him do this! Gahenna will have power enough to rule all if we don't stop her!" Delia screeches, hitting him harder than before. "Let me go, you idiot!"

"We made a wager, Delia. We lost." Kagon states simply, watching as Daqa approaches Kip.

The rebels in the crowd below roar as they are attacked from either side by Shadowlander warriors and dragged up to the dais. Qin and Iglesias don't fight, but stand woodenly and reserved. They too accept their fate like Kagon has.

The fire from the torches glints off the craggy rock wickedly as Daqa comes to stand next to Kip. The Priest lifts a hand and pets the back of Kip's neck where the last of his Shadow Stain remains. "Time at last." Daqa murmurs.

Kip's hand suddenly grab's Daqa's and forces the Priest's palm flat against his Stain. "Remove this parasite from me. I am not dead nor dying yet." Kip growls, voice hoarse from strain and exhaustion. "I was just taking a brief intermission."

Kagon gasps in shock, loosening his hold on Delia so that she is able to push herself away. When she sees Kip awake, a beautiful smile spreads across her tear-streaked face. Kip looks down at her and smiles almost apologetically.

"That was not part of the plan." Daqa scowls, baring his yellowed teeth.

Kip's smile immediately falls into a mask of sternness. A shadowy emission of power zips from Kip's fingertips and zaps Daqa. The Priest hisses in pain and tries to retract his hand, but Kip's grip on him stays firm. "How did you use Gahenna's gift when I've bound any power that she has given you?" Daqa seethes.

Kip brushes off the question, bloodshot eyes narrowing. "Do I look like I'm dying to you? Remove the Stain." He snarls. "Or are you going against the wager? If so, I can do more than shock you."

The threat seems to weigh heavily on Daqa, for he nods his head a moment later. "Fine. This last part is the most dangerous anyway. However, please remember that if during the process or even after that if you're at the point of dying, I can still use you to sacrifice to Gahenna. She'll take you with or without the Stain. Understood?" Daqa says.

"Alright." Kip smiles. "Do your worst."

"My pleasure." Daqa grins before looking at Qin, Kagon, and Iglesias. "Hold him down again, you haven't seen the worst yet."
After Iglesias, Kagon, and Qin get into position, Daqa continues his strange chant, pressing his palm against Kip's Stain.

Immediately, Kip's body tenses, muscles once more appearing as if they are trying to pop right out of his body. Kip's gasp quickly turns into a deafening scream as his body begins shaking violently. Kagon has to hold Kip's right arm with all his might. The hero can only imagine how much trouble Qin is having restraining both legs.

From the corner of Kagon's eye, he sees Delia trying her best to soothe the poor lad. Kagon isn't sure how well it is working, but at least it's keeping Kip from slipping into unconsciousness.

As Daqa slowly moves his hand closer to the nape of Kip's neck --where the Shadow Stain ends-- Kip fights harder to be released from his agony. Kagon throws his whole body weight and strength into keeping the single arm he had been assigned tfrom being released. From the creases in Iglesias' brow and the quiet slew of Qin's curses, Kagon can tell that he isn't the only one struggling to keep the lad pinned to the slab of rock.

Kip wails like a dying beast pierced through with Kagon's blade, but worse. All the hero wants to do is cover his ears from the dreadful noise, but he knows that if he so much as shifts his hand that Kip will be able to fight loose.

Daqa's chanting becomes a great yell that rises even over Kip's agonized cries. One of Kip's legs become free and begins to kick wildly.

"Get it under control, Qin!" Iglesias yells. "Daqa can't have any distractions!"

Qin grunts, lunging forward to grab Kip's leg once more. Thankfully, Qin is able to latch onto the leg and hold both down before it is able to kick anyone.

Daqa's shouting chant picks up speed, so it now sounds to Kagon more like a flood of sound than actual words.

Sweat bubbles on Kagon's brow. Daqa must be close to finishing. Kagon looks at the Priest's hand in order to note his progress only to find that Daqa's hand is covering the last section of the Shadow Stain.

Daqa utters a string of fluid words, finishing his chant with a guttural shout.

The last of Kip's power from Gahenna lashes out in a ring of black energy that throws everyone near him to the side. Kagon falls hard on his back, head hitting the hard wood of the dais so hard that dots dance in front of his eyes.

Kagon blinks the spots out of his vision and sits up with a grunt. Once his vision focuses, he sees that Daqa was not flung back like everyone else. Instead, the Priest stands firmly in place with his hands now at Kip's sides. Daqa's arms stretch out, pushing the boy over the rock he lays on. Kip can only kick Daqa weakly, but it is not enough to stop the Priest.

Kagon's eyes narrow in confusion, his mind spinning strangely. Why is Daqa pushing him?

Realization comes slow to Kagon, but when it does, it causes his body to shoot into action.

Daqa's trying to sacrifice Kip into Gahenna!

Kagon gets to his feet, causing the whole world to spin around him. The hero stumbles forward. "We have a bargain, Daqa!" Kagon shouts.

"It doesn't matter, fool! My duty is to fulfill Gahenna's needs. That is what she created me to do, no matter the costs!" He yells, struggling to push Kip over the rock's edge with his weak arms.

Kagon shakes his head, finally ridding his vision of the spots that plagued it. Now less dizzy, he rushes towards the two just as Daqa manages to heave Kip over the slab of black rock and into the chasm below.

Kagon dives into the pit without another thought, grabbing the edge of the dais with all the strength he has left in him. Kagon reaches out his other arm as far as possible and is just barely able to grasp Kip's outstretched hand.

Kagon can feel the natural effects of gravity amplified by Gahenna's lust for their flesh and blood. He can feel the Great goddess trying to pull them down deeper into her maw as to swallow them up. Kagon's grip begins to loosen, however his fingers still somehow painfully grip on to the edge of the dais. Sweat drips down his forehead, stinging his eyes.

Something from above touches his fingers, when Kagon looks up, he can see that it is Daqa trying to pry his fingers from the edge. Kagon has no choice but to let go. His stomach flops as gravity takes the hero into its hands. For a terrifying moment, even a single clear thought seems impossible to Kagon as he begins a free fall, one hand still grasping Kip's.

Kagon's fall halts with a jolt as something grabs his forearm. He once again looks up, but instead of Daqa, Kagon sees Qin. The Shadowlander's face screws up in exertion. Suddenly Iglesias' hands lock onto Kagon's arm and help haul him and Kip back onto the dais.

As soon as Kagon and Kip are safely on the stage, they scramble away from its edge and towards the middle where they lay on their backs breathing heavily.

"Are you both alright?" Delia questions, concern lacing her voice.

Kagon looks up to see his scribe standing with her dagger pressed closely to Daqa's jugular. The hero's heart can't help but swell with pride.

"We're fine." Kip answers, sitting up weakly.

"Good." Delia sighs.

Daqa suddenly snaps his head back, nailing Delia in the face with the back of his head. Her grip falters, allowing for the Priest to dodge her dagger and make a run for Kip. He tackles the boy and they both slide closer to the edge from the impact.

"Kip!" Delia yelps, running towards the two.

Daqa manages to wrestle Kip to the point where his head hangs over the chasm. Before Delia or anyone else can get to them, Kip kicks up his body, launching Daqa into the pit. The Head Priest of Gahenna never even had a chance to scream before being devoured by the very goddess he had served.

Relief is apparent on every rebel's face. The followers of Gahenna even stay silent, too shocked to speak.

The peace does not last, but ends in an unexpected way.

The ground rumbles violently under Kagon's feet, nearly tossing him to the ground. "What is going on!" He shouts over the uproar of panicked voices.

Kip's eyes close for a moment, before opening. "It's Gahenna!  With her low chances of getting me as her sacrifice now, her power is crumbling! It can no longer keep the  impossible city she built for her people from being washed away by the river T'ar! Everything around the city is about to be swept away and into Gahenna from the current of the river. We need to leave now!"

As a group; the rebels, Kip, Kagon, and Delia break from the horrified confusion and run. Still slightly dizzy from hitting his head, Kagon nearly stumbles only to be righted by Delia.

Their group dashes into and through the Temple at top speed. When they exit the main doors and out into the city, they are given a perfect view of the destruction.

Debris falls from the buildings, Shadowlanders run in a desperate panic with nowhere to go. Even worse, Kagon can see that the water level of the canals are steadily rising.

"Come on, follow me! I'll lead us out!" Qin commands. "I know this city as if it were the back of my blade."

No one argues and so the group all follows Qin, careful to dodge the falling chunks of buildings and other such remains of what used to be a beautiful city. As Kagon runs for his life, he gets a glimpse of the sky. Not even the three stars he noticed earlier are out to offer light. In spite of this, Qin expertly leads them through the maze of sidewalks laced throughout the city. Kagon can tell that Qin tries to keep away from the canals, but it is a mostly impossible task considering that a majority of the canals follow the same paths as the sidewalks and that there are more canals than walking areas.

At last, their group makes it to the main plaza of the city. The red fountain at the plaza's center is now split into two. The fountain's spouts spit water haphazardly on to the cobble, spraying some of the Shadowlanders as they rush by.

Kagon sees that the canals' water levels have rose high enough to the point where they are beginning to slowly seep onto the cobble. The group splashes up the water starting to pool at their feet as they sprint.

This causes dread to drive a stake through Kagon's gut. I really hate water.

Kagon, Kip, Delia, and the rebels skirt around the fountain and straight through the rest of the large plaza. When they make it at the other end, Qin leads them down a partially-flooded, cramped alleyway.

As they travel through the alley, the ground's shaking intensifies, causing a gigantic piece off the side of a building to fall towards them. Kagon is able to easily outmaneuver it, however the others are not so lucky. At least two of the rebels lay crushed beneath the huge chunk.

No one has time to feel sorry for the fallen Shadowlanders as they continue their way down the alley.

Kagon's boots crunch over the debris littering the ground. His breath comes out quickly, adrenaline pumping though him in a rush that causes his whole body to vibrate.

"We're nearly to the city's limits." Qin shouts as they finally exit the long alleyway and back onto the public sidewalks.

"Good because if we don't hurry, the river will overtake us. If we don't die from the falling debris, then we'll drown if we don't make it out soon." Iglesias says, sloshing through the now knee length water.

Qin nods, brow furrowed in concentration as the group moves forward. "We'll get out in time, I'll make sure of that."

"What about everyone else?" Delia asks. "They'll die if we don't help them."

"There's no time." Qin shakes his head. "I only hope that the innocents are the only ones able to leave the city in time. If any of Gahenna's followers make it out, then we'll have them to deal with in the future."

Kagon can tell that Delia wants to object to not helping everyone, so he nudges her shoulder and shakes his head. "Don't let your heart get in the way of logic. Qin is right."

Delia bites her lip, but nods. They continue on their way, wading through the water as fast as they can manage with the strong current holding them back.

A shard of rock that had cracked off of one of the building swiftly floats at them. "Move!" Kagon shouts.

They all press themselves against the nearest building, allowing the piece to pass. However, the rock's edge rips into one of the rebels and pulls him with it, screaming. Kagon reaches out a hand to the Shadowlander. They brush fingertips, but neither are able to latch on to each other and so the Shadowlander is swept away.

"No!" Kagon pounds his fist against the building.

However, he stops once he feels a hand on his shoulder. Kagon looks up to see Kip urging him with his amber eyes. "As you told Delia, we can't save everyone. Don't begrudge yourself for it."

Kagon releases a breath and nods. It had been so different when the life of that man had been at his fingertips and all he had but to do was grab on. Miserably, Kagon continues, thighs now soaked by the ever-rising T'ar.

If we don't get out of this damned city soon, the rush of the current will steal us away too.

The group struggles forward, moving slowly but surely to their destination as they dodge floating debris and even the dead. Sorrow and dread plague Kagon's heart as he sees the corpses of a Shadowlander woman still clutching her dead baby to her chest as they swiftly pass their group.

"Oh." Delia breaths out hoarsely. Kagon can hear the tears clogging her voice. Yet, when he looks at her he can see that none fall.

Kagon sees Kip takes Delia's hand in his, spurring her to move on. In spite of the chaos and death, Kagon finds himself grinning at the display. He had thought he saw them kissing earlier and heard Delia mention something about them loving each other, but this only confirms it.

I'm happy Kip and Delia found love in each other. They both deserve nothing but joy.

Just then, their group reaches the end of the sidewalk. Ahead of them is a single path of river that leads out of the city.

"The only way in and out of the city is by water." One of the rebels say. "We need a boat."

"The current is far too strong for us to row ourselves out." Delia argues. "Besides, all the boats have been swept away and swimming obviously isn't an option."

Qin breaks the door down to the last building on the sidewalk. Though the building has definitely taken a lot of damage, it still stands solid. "Follow me." Without another word, Qin enters.

With no other ideas being offered, Kagon goes after him, the others close behind. The group follows Qin up many flights of stairs before he stops at a ladder. Qin begins his ascent and everyone takes turns going up.

Once everyone is safely on the rooftop, Qin tears a tarp off of whatever it is covering, revealing a huge woven basket connected to a gigantic amount of black fabric.

"What is that thing?" Kagon asks, confusion lacing his voice.

"I got the idea from one of the children's magicians in the city. They were able to cause a small basket to float by attaching fabric to it in a ring like shape. Then, the gases emitted from a candle caused the fabric to bloat into an orb-like shape, causing it to float. He called it a balloon. I only took his idea and gave it to some of my most loyal friends and fellow rebels. They were able to turn the magician's idea into this."

Qin steps inside the basket. Using some matches that were inside, he lights off what Kagon can only describe as a huge candle beneath the hole in the fabric. Immediately, the fabric begins to expand until eventually it floats above the basket, causing it to hover a foot above the roof. It would have floated away if not for the ropes tethering it.

"Why did you decide to make this?" Delia asks in astonishment.

"We had a feeling that something like this would happen once we were able to take Gahenna's power, so we had it built." Iglesias answers for Qin. He smiles. "It is more magnificent than anything I have ever dreamed."

Suddenly, the building begins to shake beneath their feet as the water rises to the point that it can sweep the whole structure away and into the abyss.

"Get in!" Qin shouts.

Kagon doesn't have time to hesitate. He swiftly climbs into what Qin calls a "balloon" and assists the others into the basket. Once everyone is crammed in, Qin severs the rope and they begin to fly higher above the building. Using levers, Qin is able to direct the balloon over the crumbling city and the treacherous T'ar river.

Kagon looks out at the city below, eyes now completely adjusted to the dark of the night. Before the hero's very eyes, the building they were just all at falls apart and is swiftly carried away along with the rest of the city.

Where the Shadowlander's impossible city had just stood fierce and proud is only a dark river and some floating debris.

"We should leave the Shadowlands in case any of Gahenna's followers have survived." Iglesias says.

"I agree, but I'm not comfortable trying to fly the balloon over Gahenna." Qin responds.

"No, no, we don't need to go to that extreme." Delia says quickly. "Kagon, Kip, and I sailed to the Shadowlands by ship. We have the captain that escorted us here watching over our vessel right now. You can all come with us."

"Alright, where is it?" Qin asks.

Kagon tunes the conversation out as he leans on the basket, looking down at the T'ar's glistening, black water. His mind is quiet as Qin directs the balloon towards where The Dogfish bobs up and down on the waves of Lividia ocean.

Qin lowers the balloon onto the ship's deck by stifling the flames. Once they land on the deck, Qin completely chokes out the flames and the fabric of the balloon begins to deflate.

Tavius looks at the balloon, shock written all over his features from his raised brow to his faltering sword. As soon as he sees Kip, Kagon, and Delia he lowers his weapon. However, his face still stays surprised. After a moment, his typical lopsided smile pulls at his lips. "Now that's a way to make an entrance." He laughs eyes still on the balloon. "What is that?"

"I call it a balloon." Qin says.

Tavius' smirk somehow manages to broaden. "It would be quite genius to see if there is a way to hook a ship to the balloon instead of that basket. Now that would be a great way to pirate."

Kagon sends Tavius a look, but the pirate captain only laughs. "It was just a thought of course." Tavius says, though Kagon can tell otherwise.

The hero lets Tavius' comment slide and assists the others in finding their rooms. It had been a long day and everyone deserved some sleep, including Kagon.

However, Kagon quickly finds that sleep does not come easy to him. Instead of forcing himself into a fitful slumber, he goes back on to the deck only to see Delia standing at the rail and looking into the churning sea.

Kagon joins her, watching the Lividia sparkle as the sun begins to slowly rise on the horizon.

"How are you feeling, writer Delia?" Kagon finally asks.

A small smile crawls onto Delia's lips. "Just fine. And you, hero?"

"I'm doing very well. We did come out of the situation victoriously, after all."

"Very true." Delia agrees, blue-grey eyes shining as the light hits them. "We can smile even broader now, just as you said."

Kagon chuckles, stretching his sore muscles. "That we can, lass, that we can."

The two fall into a comfortable and peaceful silence. They both watch as soft pinks and lilacs paint the morning sky vibrantly.

A beautiful sunrise for a beautiful new adventure yet to come. Kagon thinks with a wistful smile.

He sees Delia out of the corner of his eye with a serene smile spread across her pretty face.

No, not just pretty. Kagon thinks. Beautiful.

A light breeze pushes her coppery-blond hair back. Delia leans into the breeze's caress, taking a deep breath.

"So," Kagon interrupts with a teasing grin, "you and Kip, huh?"

Immediately, bright pink blossoms in Delia's cheeks, causing Kagon to laugh.

Her tranquil gaze turns stormy, but Kagon can still see a dancing lightness in them that lets him know all is well.

"Oh, shut up, you idiot." Delia lightly slugs his arm, but a smile still graces her lips.

Kagon's boisterous laugh fills the morning with cheer, and even Delia can't help but grinning.

〰〰〰〰

Eep! Only the Epilogue and my final author's note are left! They were both posted along with this chapter, so scroll on to read them.

~Ashlee

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

196K 15.2K 51
{COMPLETED} The stars disappeared seventeen years ago. A black night sky has mirrored a bleak existence for the people of Auros. The Gifted, humans w...
56 3 17
**New chapters released each week** In the heart of the Draconian Empire lies the ancient city of Drakon, where the shadows of past glory whisper tal...
52 2 18
In a world where lineage and magical power define one's destiny, the saga of Kal Launno begins with the fall of the kingdom of Tenai. Son of the Arko...
303 16 8
Adonis, the Helenyan prince, carries an unsettling truth: everyone has a 'poison', a flaw of some sort, that corrupts their soul and leads them to ru...